1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. iris

delphiniums from seed

I agree Liz - they love delphs. If you can get them more mature, the slugs are less of a problem, but protect as much as possible against snails. Mine will insist on chewing through the flower...
    I agree Liz - they love delphs. If you can get them more mature, the slugs are less of a problem, but protect as much as possible against snails. Mine will insist on chewing through the flower spike - one minute glorious stem of buds or even blooms - next day, collapsed thanks to snails...
    I agree Liz - they love delphs. If you can get them more mature, the slugs are less of a problem, but protect as much as possible against snails. Mine will insist on chewing through the flower spike - one minute glorious stem of buds or even...
    I agree Liz - they love delphs. If you can get them more mature, the slugs are less of a problem, but protect as much as possible against snails. Mine will insist on chewing through the flower...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. homely53

Shrubs

Thank you can't believe all the replies so quickly i am going to try the shrub in a pot that sounds like a good idea. I will let you all know what happens. Thank you again
    Thank you can't believe all the replies so quickly i am going to try the shrub in a pot that sounds like a good idea. I will let you all know what happens. Thank you again
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. darlo

THE CHILEMAN SITE IS NOW LIVE!! (www.thechileman.org)

Weve added a growing blog for those interested:http://www.thechileman.org/collection.phpMark
    Weve added a growing blog for those interested:http://www.thechileman.org/collection.phpMark
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Lady Gardener

fillers for planters

I think thats right Peter, I tend only to use peat based compost on short term pots ie. one season. Anything longer and I use John Innes, I buy the no 3 and add some peat, or organic matter of...
    I think thats right Peter, I tend only to use peat based compost on short term pots ie. one season. Anything longer and I use John Innes, I buy the no 3 and add some peat, or organic matter of some kind, or grit, depending on what the particular plant likes.
    I think thats right Peter, I tend only to use peat based compost on short term pots ie. one season. Anything longer and I use John Innes, I buy the no 3 and add some peat, or organic matter of some kind, or grit, depending on what the particular...
    I think thats right Peter, I tend only to use peat based compost on short term pots ie. one season. Anything longer and I use John Innes, I buy the no 3 and add some peat, or organic matter of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. rebecca

aloe vera

Think Liz might be right,its been too wet or too cold or even both. :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. PeterS

Lychnis Coronaria

If it likes its' conditions it will self-seed; so after 3 years you should have continuous flowers!
    If it likes its' conditions it will self-seed; so after 3 years you should have continuous flowers!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. City_garden

Advice on how to develop a neglected city garden please?

glad to hear it!! It's amazing how uncomfortable it is to kneel on gravel!! :eek: [ 30. March 2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: dendrobium ]
    glad to hear it!! It's amazing how uncomfortable it is to kneel on gravel!! :eek: [ 30. March 2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: dendrobium ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. timecharger

old fenceposts - is creosote a problem

cheers dave, appreciated...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. PeterS

Lily advice please

Hi PeterS, I have Stargazer and Tom Pouce, and wouldn't like to say which was the more perfumed! They both havea really strong scent which spreads round the garden. I prefer the Stargazer because...
    Hi PeterS, I have Stargazer and Tom Pouce, and wouldn't like to say which was the more perfumed! They both havea really strong scent which spreads round the garden. I prefer the Stargazer because I love the colour! Both are lovely.
    Hi PeterS, I have Stargazer and Tom Pouce, and wouldn't like to say which was the more perfumed! They both havea really strong scent which spreads round the garden. I prefer the Stargazer because I love the colour! Both are lovely.
    Hi PeterS, I have Stargazer and Tom Pouce, and wouldn't like to say which was the more perfumed! They both havea really strong scent which spreads round the garden. I prefer the Stargazer because...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. lazy-gardener

Help needed on pation design

I went for a wander round places like Jewson, saw what sizes they did of the stuff I liked, and went home, measured up, and costed it out from there. Don't forget you'll spend a lot on sharp sand...
    I went for a wander round places like Jewson, saw what sizes they did of the stuff I liked, and went home, measured up, and costed it out from there. Don't forget you'll spend a lot on sharp sand for laying it!! We got Marshallspaving slabs, Saxon - partly because of the yellowness which...
    I went for a wander round places like Jewson, saw what sizes they did of the stuff I liked, and went home, measured up, and costed it out from there. Don't forget you'll spend a lot on sharp sand for laying it!! We got Marshallspaving slabs,...
    I went for a wander round places like Jewson, saw what sizes they did of the stuff I liked, and went home, measured up, and costed it out from there. Don't forget you'll spend a lot on sharp sand...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. J&A

Thyme

Creeping thyme is very good, and easy to grow fron seed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. robbo

cold frame to small

I suspect that they will not be available for that long. But should be available for another week or two. Even the ones I bought a few days ago have grown noticeably, and after a while would get...
    I suspect that they will not be available for that long. But should be available for another week or two. Even the ones I bought a few days ago have grown noticeably, and after a while would get too big and out of hand in the garden centres.Many of mine are on window sills in the house.
    I suspect that they will not be available for that long. But should be available for another week or two. Even the ones I bought a few days ago have grown noticeably, and after a while would get too big and out of hand in the garden...
    I suspect that they will not be available for that long. But should be available for another week or two. Even the ones I bought a few days ago have grown noticeably, and after a while would get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. DarrenT

A Beginner asks can a weed have a bulb?

I think LesH has got it! They spread like fury, grow anywhere are easily lifted and in the south are probably 3 or 4 weeks ahead of up here.
    I think LesH has got it! They spread like fury, grow anywhere are easily lifted and in the south are probably 3 or 4 weeks ahead of up here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jerry Cornelius

to flymo or not to flymo

yes, scarify now, but keep off if things are too wet - it won't do any good. If it's a small area, just use a springbok (very bouncy metal or plastic rake) - no need for expensive machinery! And...
    yes, scarify now, but keep off if things are too wet - it won't do any good. If it's a small area, just use a springbok (very bouncy metal or plastic rake) - no need for expensive machinery! And a very good workout! ;)
    yes, scarify now, but keep off if things are too wet - it won't do any good. If it's a small area, just use a springbok (very bouncy metal or plastic rake) - no need for expensive machinery! And a very good workout! ;)
    yes, scarify now, but keep off if things are too wet - it won't do any good. If it's a small area, just use a springbok (very bouncy metal or plastic rake) - no need for expensive machinery! And...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ettrick30

Weeding Poll

If anyone else would like to contribute to my ground breaking research, then any input would be appreciated. I'm going to make the cut off Sunday evening, then I'll have to write my report,...
    If anyone else would like to contribute to my ground breaking research, then any input would be appreciated. I'm going to make the cut off Sunday evening, then I'll have to write my report, can't put it off any longer. :(ThanksIan
    If anyone else would like to contribute to my ground breaking research, then any input would be appreciated. I'm going to make the cut off Sunday evening, then I'll have to write my report, can't put it off any longer. :(ThanksIan
    If anyone else would like to contribute to my ground breaking research, then any input would be appreciated. I'm going to make the cut off Sunday evening, then I'll have to write my report,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Paladin

Snowdrops For Sale

Hi, Sawfish! Yes, I agree, and to get back to the original thread, sort of - I'm sure there are lots of snowdrops there at the moment!! :D
    Hi, Sawfish! Yes, I agree, and to get back to the original thread, sort of - I'm sure there are lots of snowdrops there at the moment!! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Scarecrow

White stuff in pot plant!

hans thanks for puting me in the 'younger person' catagory, been in horticulture 35 years this year, and married just as long, but you are always learning new thing in this game. Used Jeyes for...
    hans thanks for puting me in the 'younger person' catagory, been in horticulture 35 years this year, and married just as long, but you are always learning new thing in this game. Used Jeyes for more years than I care to remember, and, yes it is good stuff.
    hans thanks for puting me in the 'younger person' catagory, been in horticulture 35 years this year, and married just as long, but you are always learning new thing in this game. Used Jeyes for more years than I care to remember, and, yes it is...
    hans thanks for puting me in the 'younger person' catagory, been in horticulture 35 years this year, and married just as long, but you are always learning new thing in this game. Used Jeyes for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. pete

pollen

While I was out in the woods on Sunday in the rain, there was a sudden gust of wind as I was walking down an avenue of yews - and suddenly the same thing happened!!! I couldn't believe it, as I'd...
    While I was out in the woods on Sunday in the rain, there was a sudden gust of wind as I was walking down an avenue of yews - and suddenly the same thing happened!!! I couldn't believe it, as I'd just read this thread before going out! It was amazing - and, no, it didn't start off my...
    While I was out in the woods on Sunday in the rain, there was a sudden gust of wind as I was walking down an avenue of yews - and suddenly the same thing happened!!! I couldn't believe it, as I'd just read this thread before going out! It was...
    While I was out in the woods on Sunday in the rain, there was a sudden gust of wind as I was walking down an avenue of yews - and suddenly the same thing happened!!! I couldn't believe it, as I'd...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Waco

Help! Terrified of -

So do I plant this wee baby thing just below the compost?The big one already has a shoot about 1 1/2 inch long on it but is only on surface of soil.
    So do I plant this wee baby thing just below the compost?The big one already has a shoot about 1 1/2 inch long on it but is only on surface of soil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. timecharger

protection from birds

thanks very much indeed
    thanks very much indeed
    thanks very much indeed
    thanks very much indeed
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice