1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. LCH

Anthurium

Some tips herehttp://www.flowers.org.uk/plants/plantfacts/anthurium.htm
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. duckyjuk

forest flame

I hope you mean Pieris japonica Forest Flame?. Cuttings need bottom heat in a propagator. They are usually taken when the new growth loses its pink/red colour and are about 3 inches long. You can...
    I hope you mean Pieris japonica Forest Flame?. Cuttings need bottom heat in a propagator. They are usually taken when the new growth loses its pink/red colour and are about 3 inches long. You can get better results from layering. Find a branch which may be bent to touch the ground. Make a small...
    I hope you mean Pieris japonica Forest Flame?. Cuttings need bottom heat in a propagator. They are usually taken when the new growth loses its pink/red colour and are about 3 inches long. You can get better results from layering. Find a branch...
    I hope you mean Pieris japonica Forest Flame?. Cuttings need bottom heat in a propagator. They are usually taken when the new growth loses its pink/red colour and are about 3 inches long. You can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. arwyn

raised beds

I think this question has been asked before but If you need a permanent job then stone walling, bricks[recycled] railway sleepers. Treated timber constructions need to be well braced and look...
    I think this question has been asked before but If you need a permanent job then stone walling, bricks[recycled] railway sleepers. Treated timber constructions need to be well braced and look resonable. Fill them up with good soil and look on this site for planting ideas.
    I think this question has been asked before but If you need a permanent job then stone walling, bricks[recycled] railway sleepers. Treated timber constructions need to be well braced and look resonable. Fill them up with good soil and look on...
    I think this question has been asked before but If you need a permanent job then stone walling, bricks[recycled] railway sleepers. Treated timber constructions need to be well braced and look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Emma1

Hedge Advice

Laurels, Hazel, Hornbeam, Beech (retains its leaves if kept as a hedge less than about 10 ft). Larger leaved varieties are best for deadening noise, apparently.
    Laurels, Hazel, Hornbeam, Beech (retains its leaves if kept as a hedge less than about 10 ft). Larger leaved varieties are best for deadening noise, apparently.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. duckyjuk

bulbs

Like it or not your bulbs will begin to grow, unless you can keep then very cold, but not actually frozen. It would probably be better to plant them in pots as soon as possible and take the pots...
    Like it or not your bulbs will begin to grow, unless you can keep then very cold, but not actually frozen. It would probably be better to plant them in pots as soon as possible and take the pots with you.
    Like it or not your bulbs will begin to grow, unless you can keep then very cold, but not actually frozen. It would probably be better to plant them in pots as soon as possible and take the pots with you.
    Like it or not your bulbs will begin to grow, unless you can keep then very cold, but not actually frozen. It would probably be better to plant them in pots as soon as possible and take the pots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. brownboots

Weedy bank

There are a lot of first class garden perennials that fall in this category. Such as Astilbe, Eupatorium, Filipendula, Hostas, various Iris, Lythrum. Lobelia, and various Primula such as P....
    There are a lot of first class garden perennials that fall in this category. Such as Astilbe, Eupatorium, Filipendula, Hostas, various Iris, Lythrum. Lobelia, and various Primula such as P. Vialii and P. Candelabra, and Schitzostylis.Try Googling "bog plants" or "damp plants".
    There are a lot of first class garden perennials that fall in this category. Such as Astilbe, Eupatorium, Filipendula, Hostas, various Iris, Lythrum. Lobelia, and various Primula such as P. Vialii and P. Candelabra, and Schitzostylis.Try...
    There are a lot of first class garden perennials that fall in this category. Such as Astilbe, Eupatorium, Filipendula, Hostas, various Iris, Lythrum. Lobelia, and various Primula such as P....
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Escondite

Dracaena Marginata - Pls help me save it!

Thanks a lot. I will try that. There are plenty of leaves on the lower stem...indeed that lower area looks absolutely fine. Its the top leaves/stem that have wilted and are drooping. Fingers...
    Thanks a lot. I will try that. There are plenty of leaves on the lower stem...indeed that lower area looks absolutely fine. Its the top leaves/stem that have wilted and are drooping. Fingers crossed! Cheers
    Thanks a lot. I will try that. There are plenty of leaves on the lower stem...indeed that lower area looks absolutely fine. Its the top leaves/stem that have wilted and are drooping. Fingers crossed! Cheers
    Thanks a lot. I will try that. There are plenty of leaves on the lower stem...indeed that lower area looks absolutely fine. Its the top leaves/stem that have wilted and are drooping. Fingers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. mayflower

fencing

no lasting effect ..... it will damage plants leaves if it splashes i suppose
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. pauleee

A south or south west facing garden has more light during the year, when the sun starts to get lower in the sky i.e. spring, autumn and winter. Additionally the house provides some protections to...
    A south or south west facing garden has more light during the year, when the sun starts to get lower in the sky i.e. spring, autumn and winter. Additionally the house provides some protections to the garden from cold northerly or north easterly winds.Better for sunbathing tooo :D
    A south or south west facing garden has more light during the year, when the sun starts to get lower in the sky i.e. spring, autumn and winter. Additionally the house provides some protections to the garden from cold northerly or north easterly...
    A south or south west facing garden has more light during the year, when the sun starts to get lower in the sky i.e. spring, autumn and winter. Additionally the house provides some protections to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. brownboots

Mahonia aquifolium

Thank you very much lisa. We will check them out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Gillimar

capsis radicans

This has been answered on another part of the forum http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000115 [ 23. January 2006, 05:29 PM: Message edited by:...
    This has been answered on another part of the forum http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000115 [ 23. January 2006, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: lisa0307 ]
    This has been answered on another part of the forum http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000115 [ 23. January 2006, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: lisa0307 ]
    This has been answered on another part of the forum http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000115 [ 23. January 2006, 05:29 PM: Message edited by:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. MaryMary

Transformation

BASIC well, you have to plant sun loving plants in sunny site ...... this includes most of the herbs.,, rosemary, sage, lavender, thyme shade loving plants are ferns, hostas. butterflies like...
    BASIC well, you have to plant sun loving plants in sunny site ...... this includes most of the herbs.,, rosemary, sage, lavender, thyme shade loving plants are ferns, hostas. butterflies like buddlia but these are too agressive for pots imo, there are lots of small perennials which attract...
    BASIC well, you have to plant sun loving plants in sunny site ...... this includes most of the herbs.,, rosemary, sage, lavender, thyme shade loving plants are ferns, hostas. butterflies like buddlia but these are too agressive for pots imo,...
    BASIC well, you have to plant sun loving plants in sunny site ...... this includes most of the herbs.,, rosemary, sage, lavender, thyme shade loving plants are ferns, hostas. butterflies like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. David Robinson

Privat Hedging

I can find no mention anywhere of a good reason why you should not use privet shreddings as a mulch. Like any other decomposing material they can 'pull' nitrogen out of the soil, so it may be...
    I can find no mention anywhere of a good reason why you should not use privet shreddings as a mulch. Like any other decomposing material they can 'pull' nitrogen out of the soil, so it may be worth sprinkling some fertiliser around first.
    I can find no mention anywhere of a good reason why you should not use privet shreddings as a mulch. Like any other decomposing material they can 'pull' nitrogen out of the soil, so it may be worth sprinkling some fertiliser around first.
    I can find no mention anywhere of a good reason why you should not use privet shreddings as a mulch. Like any other decomposing material they can 'pull' nitrogen out of the soil, so it may be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Bayleaf

Soil Contamination test

You could also try- http://www.agregister.co.uk/prodcatgeo.asp?product-no=404750&postcode=wc1b3aj&distance=1000&submit-geosearch=GoThey have a list of companies by location.
    You could also try- http://www.agregister.co.uk/prodcatgeo.asp?product-no=404750&postcode=wc1b3aj&distance=1000&submit-geosearch=GoThey have a list of companies by location.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Charlie

Potentilla leaf drop

Well, they are supposed to be deciduous, so yes it is normal. they may have stayed green over the last few winters becaue of the mildness of the weather.
    Well, they are supposed to be deciduous, so yes it is normal. they may have stayed green over the last few winters becaue of the mildness of the weather.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Mollyg

Winter Window Box

A London window box may be OK planted or stocked now, subject to it getting enough sunlight and indeed warmth from the window. What kind of herbs was he thinking of - cullinary, colour or ????
    A London window box may be OK planted or stocked now, subject to it getting enough sunlight and indeed warmth from the window. What kind of herbs was he thinking of - cullinary, colour or ????
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Billily

Gaultheria

Hi Billily, As far as I know, they are self fertile, in other words, they will form berries without you doing anything. One thing I notice is your in Folkestone, is it a bit chalky down...
    Hi Billily, As far as I know, they are self fertile, in other words, they will form berries without you doing anything. One thing I notice is your in Folkestone, is it a bit chalky down there? Reason I ask is that Gaultheria is a lime hater, and it needs an acid soil.
    Hi Billily, As far as I know, they are self fertile, in other words, they will form berries without you doing anything. One thing I notice is your in Folkestone, is it a bit chalky down there? Reason I ask is that Gaultheria is a...
    Hi Billily, As far as I know, they are self fertile, in other words, they will form berries without you doing anything. One thing I notice is your in Folkestone, is it a bit chalky down...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. dalbuie

moving polyanthus

Yes indeedy - they should produce occassional flowers all winter til the main display in spring - though wet may set set them backThat reminds me I need to find some more primroses (primular...
    Yes indeedy - they should produce occassional flowers all winter til the main display in spring - though wet may set set them backThat reminds me I need to find some more primroses (primular vulgaris) as my stock is running low, and I love them.One of the signs of spring in near by Milton...
    Yes indeedy - they should produce occassional flowers all winter til the main display in spring - though wet may set set them backThat reminds me I need to find some more primroses (primular vulgaris) as my stock is running low, and I love...
    Yes indeedy - they should produce occassional flowers all winter til the main display in spring - though wet may set set them backThat reminds me I need to find some more primroses (primular...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Boro Boy Phil

Winter Gardens

If the lawn has been neglected you could have a leatherjacket problem. A bit late to do much about them this time of year.To help the general health of your lawn, scarify any dead thatch and...
    If the lawn has been neglected you could have a leatherjacket problem. A bit late to do much about them this time of year.To help the general health of your lawn, scarify any dead thatch and moss out of it before winter and if your soil is heavy and the lawn compacted you could try hollow tine...
    If the lawn has been neglected you could have a leatherjacket problem. A bit late to do much about them this time of year.To help the general health of your lawn, scarify any dead thatch and moss out of it before winter and if your soil is...
    If the lawn has been neglected you could have a leatherjacket problem. A bit late to do much about them this time of year.To help the general health of your lawn, scarify any dead thatch and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. floris

pruning forsythia

Forsythia flowers on the wood it grew this Summer, so one tends to prune it after flowering to make room for the new growths. However, if the bush is overgrown flowering would be reduced anyway,...
    Forsythia flowers on the wood it grew this Summer, so one tends to prune it after flowering to make room for the new growths. However, if the bush is overgrown flowering would be reduced anyway, so pruning now would not be a problem. Aim to remove about a third of the oldest branches. That way...
    Forsythia flowers on the wood it grew this Summer, so one tends to prune it after flowering to make room for the new growths. However, if the bush is overgrown flowering would be reduced anyway, so pruning now would not be a problem. Aim to...
    Forsythia flowers on the wood it grew this Summer, so one tends to prune it after flowering to make room for the new growths. However, if the bush is overgrown flowering would be reduced anyway,...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice