1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Poppy33

Allium bulbs

re: you miniature daffs, if they have started to sprout then put them into pots so you can control the amount of water they get, just keep them damp. if sprouting has not started, put them out in...
    re: you miniature daffs, if they have started to sprout then put them into pots so you can control the amount of water they get, just keep them damp. if sprouting has not started, put them out in the ground where you want them, mark with a small cane, if they appear this year they will only be...
    re: you miniature daffs, if they have started to sprout then put them into pots so you can control the amount of water they get, just keep them damp. if sprouting has not started, put them out in the ground where you want them, mark with a small...
    re: you miniature daffs, if they have started to sprout then put them into pots so you can control the amount of water they get, just keep them damp. if sprouting has not started, put them out in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. cazza

hardy shrubs

try you local Nursery, not the Garden centre, as they really only supply plants and a few sundries, unlike Gardencentres, they sell more sundries now a days than plants, and are usually more...
    try you local Nursery, not the Garden centre, as they really only supply plants and a few sundries, unlike Gardencentres, they sell more sundries now a days than plants, and are usually more expensive. buying on line is ok, but deal with people that you have had recommenations from. depending...
    try you local Nursery, not the Garden centre, as they really only supply plants and a few sundries, unlike Gardencentres, they sell more sundries now a days than plants, and are usually more expensive. buying on line is ok, but deal with people...
    try you local Nursery, not the Garden centre, as they really only supply plants and a few sundries, unlike Gardencentres, they sell more sundries now a days than plants, and are usually more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Escondite

Save my Dracaena Marginata

what conditions was your Dacaena growing in your previous house compared to your new one i.e light/shade. It has obviously made a difference. Is it the plain green form or variegated? As Lisa says...
    what conditions was your Dacaena growing in your previous house compared to your new one i.e light/shade. It has obviously made a difference. Is it the plain green form or variegated? As Lisa says it may be too late to save it.
    what conditions was your Dacaena growing in your previous house compared to your new one i.e light/shade. It has obviously made a difference. Is it the plain green form or variegated? As Lisa says it may be too late to save it.
    what conditions was your Dacaena growing in your previous house compared to your new one i.e light/shade. It has obviously made a difference. Is it the plain green form or variegated? As Lisa says...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lbsnoop

clmbing plants

Morrisons sell some great plants - a lot of them are exactly the same as you would get in garden centres (RHS certified, same labels etc) but a lot cheaper. The problem is that the range can be...
    Morrisons sell some great plants - a lot of them are exactly the same as you would get in garden centres (RHS certified, same labels etc) but a lot cheaper. The problem is that the range can be quite limited and they generally only have one delivery of each type (i.e. when it's gone, it's gone)....
    Morrisons sell some great plants - a lot of them are exactly the same as you would get in garden centres (RHS certified, same labels etc) but a lot cheaper. The problem is that the range can be quite limited and they generally only have one...
    Morrisons sell some great plants - a lot of them are exactly the same as you would get in garden centres (RHS certified, same labels etc) but a lot cheaper. The problem is that the range can be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. simplykat

Fence coverage

there was one thread about bamboo that's not invasive - but I can't spot it at the moment - I think it was iun one about a big yellow van ( to disguise seeing it!)
    there was one thread about bamboo that's not invasive - but I can't spot it at the moment - I think it was iun one about a big yellow van ( to disguise seeing it!)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. daisymay

Site-screen

How about a willow "fedge". Very easy to grow and will give you the height you need fairly quickly. You could use it to support a range of flowering climbers to give colour throughout the year and...
    How about a willow "fedge". Very easy to grow and will give you the height you need fairly quickly. You could use it to support a range of flowering climbers to give colour throughout the year and give the fedge more density. Here's one link. "Googling" will provide lots...
    How about a willow "fedge". Very easy to grow and will give you the height you need fairly quickly. You could use it to support a range of flowering climbers to give colour throughout the year and give the fedge more density. Here's one link....
    How about a willow "fedge". Very easy to grow and will give you the height you need fairly quickly. You could use it to support a range of flowering climbers to give colour throughout the year and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Rich

A special visitor

Back to the Kingfisher,We had one sitting on the edge of our pond for a whole afternoon ,we watched it the for ages thinking how lucky we were.............It never returned again.........So far...
    Back to the Kingfisher,We had one sitting on the edge of our pond for a whole afternoon ,we watched it the for ages thinking how lucky we were.............It never returned again.........So far this year we have had visits from ringedoves,pidgeons,robin,chaffinches sparrows,blackbirds and...
    Back to the Kingfisher,We had one sitting on the edge of our pond for a whole afternoon ,we watched it the for ages thinking how lucky we were.............It never returned again.........So far this year we have had visits from...
    Back to the Kingfisher,We had one sitting on the edge of our pond for a whole afternoon ,we watched it the for ages thinking how lucky we were.............It never returned again.........So far...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. tmcstravick

holly cuttings

I know it may be sentimental to you but I think you would be better off buying one (as well as taking cuttings which may/may not be successful), as Frogesque says, at least you will know what...
    I know it may be sentimental to you but I think you would be better off buying one (as well as taking cuttings which may/may not be successful), as Frogesque says, at least you will know what your getting.
    I know it may be sentimental to you but I think you would be better off buying one (as well as taking cuttings which may/may not be successful), as Frogesque says, at least you will know what your getting.
    I know it may be sentimental to you but I think you would be better off buying one (as well as taking cuttings which may/may not be successful), as Frogesque says, at least you will know what...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Fran

February Garden Colour

It's still February (just!) Saw my first brave daff yesterday. Loads of buds ready to break - all we need is a little sunshine.Also some flowering currant
    It's still February (just!) Saw my first brave daff yesterday. Loads of buds ready to break - all we need is a little sunshine.Also some flowering currant
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Lady Gardener

the steam roller effect

If it was a good lawn to start with then chances are it will recover providing the grass is only yellow and not dead. A good scarifying when growth is underway then aerating and horticultural sand...
    If it was a good lawn to start with then chances are it will recover providing the grass is only yellow and not dead. A good scarifying when growth is underway then aerating and horticultural sand top dressing. Make sure any builder's rubble or block chips are out of the grass before putting a...
    If it was a good lawn to start with then chances are it will recover providing the grass is only yellow and not dead. A good scarifying when growth is underway then aerating and horticultural sand top dressing. Make sure any builder's rubble or...
    If it was a good lawn to start with then chances are it will recover providing the grass is only yellow and not dead. A good scarifying when growth is underway then aerating and horticultural sand...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. McGardener

1st question: perfume plants that like shade

You could try Daphne Mezereum and Daphne Odora, both will take shade and have amazing scent. Mezereum is toxic though , particularly the berries. It maybe too dry in your bed unless watered in the...
    You could try Daphne Mezereum and Daphne Odora, both will take shade and have amazing scent. Mezereum is toxic though , particularly the berries. It maybe too dry in your bed unless watered in the summer
    You could try Daphne Mezereum and Daphne Odora, both will take shade and have amazing scent. Mezereum is toxic though , particularly the berries. It maybe too dry in your bed unless watered in the summer
    You could try Daphne Mezereum and Daphne Odora, both will take shade and have amazing scent. Mezereum is toxic though , particularly the berries. It maybe too dry in your bed unless watered in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Julekha

February 2006 What to do?

Hi there - if you are talking about the garden - it really shouldn't need any form of watering at the moment - there should be plenty of moisture in the soil. In respect of feeding - that depends...
    Hi there - if you are talking about the garden - it really shouldn't need any form of watering at the moment - there should be plenty of moisture in the soil. In respect of feeding - that depends on the soil your gardening on - if its sandy loam, it could benefit from a layer of well rotted...
    Hi there - if you are talking about the garden - it really shouldn't need any form of watering at the moment - there should be plenty of moisture in the soil. In respect of feeding - that depends on the soil your gardening on - if its sandy loam,...
    Hi there - if you are talking about the garden - it really shouldn't need any form of watering at the moment - there should be plenty of moisture in the soil. In respect of feeding - that depends...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. etones

Plan sprouting bulbs?

absolutely! hundreds and thousands of little allium bulbs in amongst rose roots is loads of fun, believe me!! I find that planting a lot of bulbs in something like a basket, colander, whatever,...
    absolutely! hundreds and thousands of little allium bulbs in amongst rose roots is loads of fun, believe me!! I find that planting a lot of bulbs in something like a basket, colander, whatever, is best - then, if you want to keep your beds tidy, all you have to do is lift them, put them...
    absolutely! hundreds and thousands of little allium bulbs in amongst rose roots is loads of fun, believe me!! I find that planting a lot of bulbs in something like a basket, colander, whatever, is best - then, if you want to keep your beds tidy,...
    absolutely! hundreds and thousands of little allium bulbs in amongst rose roots is loads of fun, believe me!! I find that planting a lot of bulbs in something like a basket, colander, whatever,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PeterS

Primrose progress

Thanks nixonf23 for your help. Like most gardening questions I suppose the answer is try it and see.
    Thanks nixonf23 for your help. Like most gardening questions I suppose the answer is try it and see.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Dave Martin

dunno if this is the right place to write this but..

get the hoe ready - and suddenly you're doing organic gardening- the stale seed-bed system!!
    get the hoe ready - and suddenly you're doing organic gardening- the stale seed-bed system!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Liz

Wisteria

That's true pete2255, I have never bought a grafted one. They've always been supermarket or catalogue offers, or like my daughters, layered from an existing plant. Looks like I'll have to pay...
    That's true pete2255, I have never bought a grafted one. They've always been supermarket or catalogue offers, or like my daughters, layered from an existing plant. Looks like I'll have to pay more! :eek:
    That's true pete2255, I have never bought a grafted one. They've always been supermarket or catalogue offers, or like my daughters, layered from an existing plant. Looks like I'll have to pay more! :eek:
    That's true pete2255, I have never bought a grafted one. They've always been supermarket or catalogue offers, or like my daughters, layered from an existing plant. Looks like I'll have to pay...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gardener Claire

Can I dig up bulbs now?

hi Claire,just recently i dug out and replanted 98 crocus bulbs.id put them in back end of last year down one side of what i thought was our allotment but next door allotment holder decided after...
    hi Claire,just recently i dug out and replanted 98 crocus bulbs.id put them in back end of last year down one side of what i thought was our allotment but next door allotment holder decided after Christmas that it was his and was gonna move fence forward a foot so i waited till tips came through...
    hi Claire,just recently i dug out and replanted 98 crocus bulbs.id put them in back end of last year down one side of what i thought was our allotment but next door allotment holder decided after Christmas that it was his and was gonna move fence...
    hi Claire,just recently i dug out and replanted 98 crocus bulbs.id put them in back end of last year down one side of what i thought was our allotment but next door allotment holder decided after...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. grinch

seeds

Grinch there are some seeds that like to be kept in the dark to germinate. This might explain the paper bag. I have an RHS seed germination guide, but it only names a few such as Allium,...
    Grinch there are some seeds that like to be kept in the dark to germinate. This might explain the paper bag. I have an RHS seed germination guide, but it only names a few such as Allium, Armeria, Delphinium, Oenothera, Verbena, Viola etc that like that. Mind you I have grown Armeria and...
    Grinch there are some seeds that like to be kept in the dark to germinate. This might explain the paper bag. I have an RHS seed germination guide, but it only names a few such as Allium, Armeria, Delphinium, Oenothera, Verbena, Viola etc that...
    Grinch there are some seeds that like to be kept in the dark to germinate. This might explain the paper bag. I have an RHS seed germination guide, but it only names a few such as Allium,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. barneyb

clematis for coastal garden

I had powdery mildew all over my honey suckle that was doing so well....Then I got really X and cut the miserable lot down to a few inches,Wow you should have seen those plants get thier act...
    I had powdery mildew all over my honey suckle that was doing so well....Then I got really X and cut the miserable lot down to a few inches,Wow you should have seen those plants get thier act together they grew new stong shoots out in all directions. Just seen my pink Crocuses up bit...
    I had powdery mildew all over my honey suckle that was doing so well....Then I got really X and cut the miserable lot down to a few inches,Wow you should have seen those plants get thier act together they grew new stong shoots out in all...
    I had powdery mildew all over my honey suckle that was doing so well....Then I got really X and cut the miserable lot down to a few inches,Wow you should have seen those plants get thier act...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. si_rich

over growen brambles

alternatively, once you've got rid of as much as possible by chopping down and digging out, keep cutting back with a mower if it's in an area that you can reasonably do so. I've found that works,...
    alternatively, once you've got rid of as much as possible by chopping down and digging out, keep cutting back with a mower if it's in an area that you can reasonably do so. I've found that works, and eventually kills it all off. It does take quite a while though!
    alternatively, once you've got rid of as much as possible by chopping down and digging out, keep cutting back with a mower if it's in an area that you can reasonably do so. I've found that works, and eventually kills it all off. It does take...
    alternatively, once you've got rid of as much as possible by chopping down and digging out, keep cutting back with a mower if it's in an area that you can reasonably do so. I've found that works,...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice