1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Gardening Newbie

Cleaning Plant Labels

I use old margerine tubs
    I use old margerine tubs
    I use old margerine tubs
    I use old margerine tubs
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. twysted

venus fly trap.

thank you very much, most helpfull.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. pumpkinsoup

how to prepare soil and when to plant!!

it's worth checking to see if your local council does cheap or even free compost at your local "recycling facility" (used to be called the tip!) Most councils do something of this sort now. Try...
    it's worth checking to see if your local council does cheap or even free compost at your local "recycling facility" (used to be called the tip!) Most councils do something of this sort now. Try a search with your local area, plus recycling, or waste-aware, or something like that - it worked...
    it's worth checking to see if your local council does cheap or even free compost at your local "recycling facility" (used to be called the tip!) Most councils do something of this sort now. Try a search with your local area, plus recycling, or...
    it's worth checking to see if your local council does cheap or even free compost at your local "recycling facility" (used to be called the tip!) Most councils do something of this sort now. Try...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. arwyn

moving house

thank you ever so much for your replies
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley

Help needed Please...!!!!.

Yes with you entirely there Pete. He has calmed down a bit now I think, & he's decided to keep a few more now.. Yes, the temp is a bit higher than you need for just overwintering as he has...
    Yes with you entirely there Pete. He has calmed down a bit now I think, & he's decided to keep a few more now.. Yes, the temp is a bit higher than you need for just overwintering as he has sevaral plants that like to be around the 50s-60s in the winter & he refuses to have them indoors in...
    Yes with you entirely there Pete. He has calmed down a bit now I think, & he's decided to keep a few more now.. Yes, the temp is a bit higher than you need for just overwintering as he has sevaral plants that like to be around the 50s-60s in...
    Yes with you entirely there Pete. He has calmed down a bit now I think, & he's decided to keep a few more now.. Yes, the temp is a bit higher than you need for just overwintering as he has...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. kerripaul

Rockdust

Thanks Liz, I will :D I suppose thats possible, but I've got more stones than that, eroding down in my garden, so I probably wont need any dust.
    Thanks Liz, I will :D I suppose thats possible, but I've got more stones than that, eroding down in my garden, so I probably wont need any dust.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley

Have you got yours yet??..!!

Many thanks Walnut! I am really glad you like the web site.Is anyone coming to Chelsea? It would be really nice to meet you.All the best Nicola
    Many thanks Walnut! I am really glad you like the web site.Is anyone coming to Chelsea? It would be really nice to meet you.All the best Nicola
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. daisywooks

Scottish Moors

make sure you visit a local nursery for advice.... mistakes can be expensive
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. lorniewill

I'm new to gardening - HELP!

I quite agree with both Frogesque and Lady gardener - don't do anything until you see what happens through spring and summer. If you could put up some photos, that would help a lot. By and...
    I quite agree with both Frogesque and Lady gardener - don't do anything until you see what happens through spring and summer. If you could put up some photos, that would help a lot. By and large, with things that look like they've died, probably it's last year's growth that's died, and it'll...
    I quite agree with both Frogesque and Lady gardener - don't do anything until you see what happens through spring and summer. If you could put up some photos, that would help a lot. By and large, with things that look like they've died,...
    I quite agree with both Frogesque and Lady gardener - don't do anything until you see what happens through spring and summer. If you could put up some photos, that would help a lot. By and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. davido

screening new block of flats

I agree with Hans. It's often worth paying more for larger plants, and saving a few years....Delivery is expensive, but you can get quite large trees in a hatchback!
    I agree with Hans. It's often worth paying more for larger plants, and saving a few years....Delivery is expensive, but you can get quite large trees in a hatchback!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Rich

The new lights in action.

Awwww.... wish I could join him!!! I'm shattered!!!! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pumpkinsoup

something to cover a 4ft fence and nosey neighbours!

Hi Pumpkin,sorry for a late reply, but hopefully this is of some use for you.I have a simillar problem, and will put some bamboo down. I understand that the fargesia species is non-spreading...
    Hi Pumpkin,sorry for a late reply, but hopefully this is of some use for you.I have a simillar problem, and will put some bamboo down. I understand that the fargesia species is non-spreading and then you just pick the type according to the height you are after.I think something like...
    Hi Pumpkin,sorry for a late reply, but hopefully this is of some use for you.I have a simillar problem, and will put some bamboo down. I understand that the fargesia species is non-spreading and then you just pick the type according to the...
    Hi Pumpkin,sorry for a late reply, but hopefully this is of some use for you.I have a simillar problem, and will put some bamboo down. I understand that the fargesia species is non-spreading...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Herb

Buying seeds

there's also http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk, and http://www.homegardenseeds.co.uk/ I've used both and been happy with them. There's also http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/
    there's also http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk, and http://www.homegardenseeds.co.uk/ I've used both and been happy with them. There's also http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. DANNY_P

LOG STORAGE?

Danny, re: your log store, outside is definately best. the main reason for the storage time, is to let the sap dry out, although the wood will burn if used 'wet' the problem doing this will be a...
    Danny, re: your log store, outside is definately best. the main reason for the storage time, is to let the sap dry out, although the wood will burn if used 'wet' the problem doing this will be a build up of sticky sap to the inside of your chimney, which over time will cause the space to get...
    Danny, re: your log store, outside is definately best. the main reason for the storage time, is to let the sap dry out, although the wood will burn if used 'wet' the problem doing this will be a build up of sticky sap to the inside of your...
    Danny, re: your log store, outside is definately best. the main reason for the storage time, is to let the sap dry out, although the wood will burn if used 'wet' the problem doing this will be a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. rossco

head gardener seeks position

Hi, I am a highly qualified/experienced Head Gardener/Estate Manager seeking live in post in the Staffordshire/Shropshire/Derbyshire area. anyone that may know of such a position please let me...
    Hi, I am a highly qualified/experienced Head Gardener/Estate Manager seeking live in post in the Staffordshire/Shropshire/Derbyshire area. anyone that may know of such a position please let me know....
    Hi, I am a highly qualified/experienced Head Gardener/Estate Manager seeking live in post in the Staffordshire/Shropshire/Derbyshire area. anyone that may know of such a position please let me know....
    Hi, I am a highly qualified/experienced Head Gardener/Estate Manager seeking live in post in the Staffordshire/Shropshire/Derbyshire area. anyone that may know of such a position please let me...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Cowslip

Confused over pruning

the main thing in pruning anything, is to look it up first to find out if it has any oddities - try the RHS site. Then, whether or not you get what you want - take out dead, diseased and dying. ...
    the main thing in pruning anything, is to look it up first to find out if it has any oddities - try the RHS site. Then, whether or not you get what you want - take out dead, diseased and dying. Whatever time of year it is, that won't hurt it. Then, if it's a climber, or about to flower -...
    the main thing in pruning anything, is to look it up first to find out if it has any oddities - try the RHS site. Then, whether or not you get what you want - take out dead, diseased and dying. Whatever time of year it is, that won't hurt it. ...
    the main thing in pruning anything, is to look it up first to find out if it has any oddities - try the RHS site. Then, whether or not you get what you want - take out dead, diseased and dying. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sawfish

apples for Scotland

you can't do better than Butterworth's nurseries - great organic nursery, and they really know what they're talking about. Ring them - phone number on the website.
    you can't do better than Butterworth's nurseries - great organic nursery, and they really know what they're talking about. Ring them - phone number on the website.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. duckyjuk

fores flame

I did some end of last summer and I think they are ok
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. duckyjuk

forest flame

I hope you mean Pieris japonica Forest Flame?. Cuttings need bottom heat in a propagator. They are usually taken when the new growth loses its pink/red colour and are about 3 inches long. You can...
    I hope you mean Pieris japonica Forest Flame?. Cuttings need bottom heat in a propagator. They are usually taken when the new growth loses its pink/red colour and are about 3 inches long. You can get better results from layering. Find a branch which may be bent to touch the ground. Make a small...
    I hope you mean Pieris japonica Forest Flame?. Cuttings need bottom heat in a propagator. They are usually taken when the new growth loses its pink/red colour and are about 3 inches long. You can get better results from layering. Find a branch...
    I hope you mean Pieris japonica Forest Flame?. Cuttings need bottom heat in a propagator. They are usually taken when the new growth loses its pink/red colour and are about 3 inches long. You can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. arwyn

raised beds

I think this question has been asked before but If you need a permanent job then stone walling, bricks[recycled] railway sleepers. Treated timber constructions need to be well braced and look...
    I think this question has been asked before but If you need a permanent job then stone walling, bricks[recycled] railway sleepers. Treated timber constructions need to be well braced and look resonable. Fill them up with good soil and look on this site for planting ideas.
    I think this question has been asked before but If you need a permanent job then stone walling, bricks[recycled] railway sleepers. Treated timber constructions need to be well braced and look resonable. Fill them up with good soil and look on...
    I think this question has been asked before but If you need a permanent job then stone walling, bricks[recycled] railway sleepers. Treated timber constructions need to be well braced and look...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice