1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. chanel

Hydrangea

what a helpful site! Incredibly useful!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. LCH

sweet pea conditions?

as well as loo rolls, which work incredibly well and cost zilch, you can spend out real money and get "root-trainers", which I find amazing, and don't tend to get mouldy as I've seen with the loo...
    as well as loo rolls, which work incredibly well and cost zilch, you can spend out real money and get "root-trainers", which I find amazing, and don't tend to get mouldy as I've seen with the loo roll set-up
    as well as loo rolls, which work incredibly well and cost zilch, you can spend out real money and get "root-trainers", which I find amazing, and don't tend to get mouldy as I've seen with the loo roll set-up
    as well as loo rolls, which work incredibly well and cost zilch, you can spend out real money and get "root-trainers", which I find amazing, and don't tend to get mouldy as I've seen with the loo...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. hayley

marigold seeds

Germination depends a lot on how they have been stored but reasonable conditions should give 50% success. That's a lot of marigolds!Best bet is to plant some in seed trays (about 1/4 deep, 2"...
    Germination depends a lot on how they have been stored but reasonable conditions should give 50% success. That's a lot of marigolds!Best bet is to plant some in seed trays (about 1/4 deep, 2" apart, normal compost) and place in a sheltered spot. No need for heat as they are quite hardy. Once...
    Germination depends a lot on how they have been stored but reasonable conditions should give 50% success. That's a lot of marigolds!Best bet is to plant some in seed trays (about 1/4 deep, 2" apart, normal compost) and place in a sheltered...
    Germination depends a lot on how they have been stored but reasonable conditions should give 50% success. That's a lot of marigolds!Best bet is to plant some in seed trays (about 1/4 deep, 2"...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. potsy1

DOG FOULING

It also works for dogs, and it is very satisfying! I have been contemplating some Coleus canina too, to try and keep my two cats from diggingup newly planted things.
    It also works for dogs, and it is very satisfying! I have been contemplating some Coleus canina too, to try and keep my two cats from diggingup newly planted things.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Julekha

watering a hedge

what about mulching as the ground is presently nice and moist?
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. arwyn

new garden

The most important thing is to decide what you want from the garden as a family for the next few years (your kids will not always be small) - browse the gardening books in your local garden centre...
    The most important thing is to decide what you want from the garden as a family for the next few years (your kids will not always be small) - browse the gardening books in your local garden centre for gardens you like and that fit. Then plan it out on a piece of paper - then you can tackle it...
    The most important thing is to decide what you want from the garden as a family for the next few years (your kids will not always be small) - browse the gardening books in your local garden centre for gardens you like and that fit. Then plan it...
    The most important thing is to decide what you want from the garden as a family for the next few years (your kids will not always be small) - browse the gardening books in your local garden centre...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. julie.c

bushes

Don't do it now or you won't get any flowers this year! Pruning should be done after flowering to encourage new flowering stems for the next year. Don't cut into old wood as it won't grow again.
    Don't do it now or you won't get any flowers this year! Pruning should be done after flowering to encourage new flowering stems for the next year. Don't cut into old wood as it won't grow again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. julie.c

bushes

Got new citisis bushes last year have grown really big. How do I prune them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. McGardener

Digitalis

Ah, that would be the foxgloves not the fern spores then
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. McGardener

spotted a cheapie

fair point about growing lavender from seeds - kinda wanting some impact this summer though.lavender / time / rosemary along a short 6 footish open part of a south facing wall.
    fair point about growing lavender from seeds - kinda wanting some impact this summer though.lavender / time / rosemary along a short 6 footish open part of a south facing wall.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. mims

Automated Watering Systems

leaky box? :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lorniewill

I'm new to gardening - HELP!

I quite agree with both Frogesque and Lady gardener - don't do anything until you see what happens through spring and summer. If you could put up some photos, that would help a lot. By and...
    I quite agree with both Frogesque and Lady gardener - don't do anything until you see what happens through spring and summer. If you could put up some photos, that would help a lot. By and large, with things that look like they've died, probably it's last year's growth that's died, and it'll...
    I quite agree with both Frogesque and Lady gardener - don't do anything until you see what happens through spring and summer. If you could put up some photos, that would help a lot. By and large, with things that look like they've died,...
    I quite agree with both Frogesque and Lady gardener - don't do anything until you see what happens through spring and summer. If you could put up some photos, that would help a lot. By and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. MICK FORD

MALLING LEO

Cheers rossco & steve w , after seeing the photo on that web site can hardly wait to get my lips round some berrys :cool: :D
    Cheers rossco & steve w , after seeing the photo on that web site can hardly wait to get my lips round some berrys :cool: :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. fraggle1968

Wheelchair bound gardner

We'd probably all like to nip down to Cardiff and offer our joinery skills! I expect you already know about the BBC site that may provide suitable links...
    We'd probably all like to nip down to Cardiff and offer our joinery skills! I expect you already know about the BBC site that may provide suitable links -http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/gardening/
    We'd probably all like to nip down to Cardiff and offer our joinery skills! I expect you already know about the BBC site that may provide suitable links -http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/gardening/
    We'd probably all like to nip down to Cardiff and offer our joinery skills! I expect you already know about the BBC site that may provide suitable links...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Cowslip

Confused over pruning

the main thing in pruning anything, is to look it up first to find out if it has any oddities - try the RHS site. Then, whether or not you get what you want - take out dead, diseased and dying. ...
    the main thing in pruning anything, is to look it up first to find out if it has any oddities - try the RHS site. Then, whether or not you get what you want - take out dead, diseased and dying. Whatever time of year it is, that won't hurt it. Then, if it's a climber, or about to flower -...
    the main thing in pruning anything, is to look it up first to find out if it has any oddities - try the RHS site. Then, whether or not you get what you want - take out dead, diseased and dying. Whatever time of year it is, that won't hurt it. ...
    the main thing in pruning anything, is to look it up first to find out if it has any oddities - try the RHS site. Then, whether or not you get what you want - take out dead, diseased and dying. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. pumpkinsoup

how to prepare soil and when to plant!!

it's worth checking to see if your local council does cheap or even free compost at your local "recycling facility" (used to be called the tip!) Most councils do something of this sort now. Try...
    it's worth checking to see if your local council does cheap or even free compost at your local "recycling facility" (used to be called the tip!) Most councils do something of this sort now. Try a search with your local area, plus recycling, or waste-aware, or something like that - it worked...
    it's worth checking to see if your local council does cheap or even free compost at your local "recycling facility" (used to be called the tip!) Most councils do something of this sort now. Try a search with your local area, plus recycling, or...
    it's worth checking to see if your local council does cheap or even free compost at your local "recycling facility" (used to be called the tip!) Most councils do something of this sort now. Try...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sawfish

apples for Scotland

you can't do better than Butterworth's nurseries - great organic nursery, and they really know what they're talking about. Ring them - phone number on the website.
    you can't do better than Butterworth's nurseries - great organic nursery, and they really know what they're talking about. Ring them - phone number on the website.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Gardening Newbie

Polystyrene Propapacks

:D :D :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. big daddy

Begonia Tuber

Welcome to the board big daddyI've not tried it myself but this article seems to make sense. (scroll down the page untill you find the bit about division."Tubers can be divided too. First...
    Welcome to the board big daddyI've not tried it myself but this article seems to make sense. (scroll down the page untill you find the bit about division."Tubers can be divided too. First step is to get the tubers growing in March. When buds (eyes) first start to appear, remove the tuber...
    Welcome to the board big daddyI've not tried it myself but this article seems to make sense. (scroll down the page untill you find the bit about division."Tubers can be divided too. First step is to get the tubers growing in March. When buds...
    Welcome to the board big daddyI've not tried it myself but this article seems to make sense. (scroll down the page untill you find the bit about division."Tubers can be divided too. First...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. meles

Conifer stumps

Young relatives are needed I feel. I had one massive bush I needed to remove a few years ago, after cutting it off, I attacked it with a hose pipe and spray head, left on for a day or so. It...
    Young relatives are needed I feel. I had one massive bush I needed to remove a few years ago, after cutting it off, I attacked it with a hose pipe and spray head, left on for a day or so. It softened the soil and made removal much easier if not messier. My Daughter was really helpful and worked...
    Young relatives are needed I feel. I had one massive bush I needed to remove a few years ago, after cutting it off, I attacked it with a hose pipe and spray head, left on for a day or so. It softened the soil and made removal much easier if not...
    Young relatives are needed I feel. I had one massive bush I needed to remove a few years ago, after cutting it off, I attacked it with a hose pipe and spray head, left on for a day or so. It...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice