General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. nathan7

amaryllis

I've always grown mine from late April to late september, flowering in May/June. The ones you buy in shops around Christmas are out of sinc with our seasons, and need to be grown on from now till...
    I've always grown mine from late April to late september, flowering in May/June. The ones you buy in shops around Christmas are out of sinc with our seasons, and need to be grown on from now till late Sept before allowing to rest. Then keep them cold but frost free until the following March,...
    I've always grown mine from late April to late september, flowering in May/June. The ones you buy in shops around Christmas are out of sinc with our seasons, and need to be grown on from now till late Sept before allowing to rest. Then keep...
    I've always grown mine from late April to late september, flowering in May/June. The ones you buy in shops around Christmas are out of sinc with our seasons, and need to be grown on from now till...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. SAS

amaryllis

My amaryllis is in flower right now. I bought it as one of those gift sets in a pound shop and it's been a reet good'n ever since! In fact, it's had several babbies and they're now flowering as...
    My amaryllis is in flower right now. I bought it as one of those gift sets in a pound shop and it's been a reet good'n ever since! In fact, it's had several babbies and they're now flowering as well but all still tucked up in the same pot - though not, I hasten to add - the original!
    My amaryllis is in flower right now. I bought it as one of those gift sets in a pound shop and it's been a reet good'n ever since! In fact, it's had several babbies and they're now flowering as well but all still tucked up in the same pot -...
    My amaryllis is in flower right now. I bought it as one of those gift sets in a pound shop and it's been a reet good'n ever since! In fact, it's had several babbies and they're now flowering as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. graham the gardener 1978

amaryllis

heres some pics of my amaryllis that have taken over 5 months to flower doh!!!
    Pho-0347.jpg Pho-0361.jpg Pho-0362.jpg Pho-0369.jpg Pho-0389.jpg Pho-0390.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Jack by the hedge

Amaryllis

I'm glad its given a few of you the spur to have a go. It is really easy to do and not much trouble really. The size of the plant in the picture could I reckon be achieved in about 5 yrs from a...
    I'm glad its given a few of you the spur to have a go. It is really easy to do and not much trouble really. The size of the plant in the picture could I reckon be achieved in about 5 yrs from a single bulb, given good watering and feeding through the summer. Personally I'd say ignore any...
    I'm glad its given a few of you the spur to have a go. It is really easy to do and not much trouble really. The size of the plant in the picture could I reckon be achieved in about 5 yrs from a single bulb, given good watering and feeding...
    I'm glad its given a few of you the spur to have a go. It is really easy to do and not much trouble really. The size of the plant in the picture could I reckon be achieved in about 5 yrs from a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. walnut

Amarylis

A scented amarylis called jewel a little too subtle for my proboscisclick to enlarge
    A scented amarylis called jewel a little too subtle for my proboscisclick to enlarge
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Spruce

Amarine Belladiva new to me .....

That's pretty Spruce. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Rich

Amarillis

The same happened with mine. Lovely leaves but no flower bud. I've done the same as you Frogesque and cut back the leaves. Doubt if I'll get any flowers this winter but I won't give up on them....
    The same happened with mine. Lovely leaves but no flower bud. I've done the same as you Frogesque and cut back the leaves. Doubt if I'll get any flowers this winter but I won't give up on them. I've just bought a new one and am awaiting growth. They're amazing bulbs and so rewarding when...
    The same happened with mine. Lovely leaves but no flower bud. I've done the same as you Frogesque and cut back the leaves. Doubt if I'll get any flowers this winter but I won't give up on them. I've just bought a new one and am awaiting...
    The same happened with mine. Lovely leaves but no flower bud. I've done the same as you Frogesque and cut back the leaves. Doubt if I'll get any flowers this winter but I won't give up on them....
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. bellapinkpink

Am I too late to grow anything from seeds?

If you want flowers this year Bella you can still plant up seeds for Sweet William , Forget me Not , and Cornflower to name just a few ,I know there are more but I cant think of them of the top of...
    If you want flowers this year Bella you can still plant up seeds for Sweet William , Forget me Not , and Cornflower to name just a few ,I know there are more but I cant think of them of the top of my head, if I do I will post to this thread,
    If you want flowers this year Bella you can still plant up seeds for Sweet William , Forget me Not , and Cornflower to name just a few ,I know there are more but I cant think of them of the top of my head, if I do I will post to this thread,
    If you want flowers this year Bella you can still plant up seeds for Sweet William , Forget me Not , and Cornflower to name just a few ,I know there are more but I cant think of them of the top of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. lazy-gardener

am i too late this year?

you could plant peas in a length of plastic drainpipe,then just slide them into a little trench when they are about an inch high.Also it saves then from mice eating them J
    you could plant peas in a length of plastic drainpipe,then just slide them into a little trench when they are about an inch high.Also it saves then from mice eating them J
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ming

am I too early ?

"suttons nantes 2"I couldn't find any Suttons nantes 2 in the shop ... so I bought their Alan Titchmarsh ones instead - which are Organic .... ahhh, just checked and that's what I had last year...
    "suttons nantes 2"I couldn't find any Suttons nantes 2 in the shop ... so I bought their Alan Titchmarsh ones instead - which are Organic .... ahhh, just checked and that's what I had last year as well.All I can say is they were very tasty!Just got a delivery from T&M this morning ... if I...
    "suttons nantes 2"I couldn't find any Suttons nantes 2 in the shop ... so I bought their Alan Titchmarsh ones instead - which are Organic .... ahhh, just checked and that's what I had last year as well.All I can say is they were very...
    "suttons nantes 2"I couldn't find any Suttons nantes 2 in the shop ... so I bought their Alan Titchmarsh ones instead - which are Organic .... ahhh, just checked and that's what I had last year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. IDigPerfectSquareHoles

am I too ambitious?

Let us know how it goes, I'd be interested to see your progress in photos, good luck :dbgrtmb:
    Let us know how it goes, I'd be interested to see your progress in photos, good luck :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. PaulB3

Am I morally wrong ?

Always nice to read a happy ending :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Fidgetsmum

Am I just too impatient?

shoots of gaura are coming through in my gardenbut I think Hot lips and Autumn planted Delphs are gonners.
    shoots of gaura are coming through in my gardenbut I think Hot lips and Autumn planted Delphs are gonners.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Clueless 1 v2

Am I going to miss this gardening year?

Chilterns have a good range of interesting herb and veg seeds Vegetables and Herbs - Chiltern Seeds secure online shopI usually go halves, some supermarket bog standard herb pots to harvest all...
    Chilterns have a good range of interesting herb and veg seeds Vegetables and Herbs - Chiltern Seeds secure online shopI usually go halves, some supermarket bog standard herb pots to harvest all summer and some seed grown interesting things. I have a 50cm permanent patio pot for the things we...
    Chilterns have a good range of interesting herb and veg seeds Vegetables and Herbs - Chiltern Seeds secure online shopI usually go halves, some supermarket bog standard herb pots to harvest all summer and some seed grown interesting things. I...
    Chilterns have a good range of interesting herb and veg seeds Vegetables and Herbs - Chiltern Seeds secure online shopI usually go halves, some supermarket bog standard herb pots to harvest all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fidgetsmum

Am I giving the right advice?

My husband is a cabinetmaker and produces a lot of sawdust but I only sprinkle a tiny amount into my compost - being so fine it packs down solid, whereas chippings are larger and retain a certain...
    My husband is a cabinetmaker and produces a lot of sawdust but I only sprinkle a tiny amount into my compost - being so fine it packs down solid, whereas chippings are larger and retain a certain amount of air between them. Wood shavings (from when he's planed something) are also useful.
    My husband is a cabinetmaker and produces a lot of sawdust but I only sprinkle a tiny amount into my compost - being so fine it packs down solid, whereas chippings are larger and retain a certain amount of air between them. Wood shavings (from...
    My husband is a cabinetmaker and produces a lot of sawdust but I only sprinkle a tiny amount into my compost - being so fine it packs down solid, whereas chippings are larger and retain a certain...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Juliet

Am I dying?

I've given all the shrubs around the tree a good prune today. I didn't realise how overgrown and tangled they were. I've also weeded and pulled out loads of smaller things that weren't doing well....
    I've given all the shrubs around the tree a good prune today. I didn't realise how overgrown and tangled they were. I've also weeded and pulled out loads of smaller things that weren't doing well. I'll be watering it frequently for the rest of the summer.Thankyou for your help.
    I've given all the shrubs around the tree a good prune today. I didn't realise how overgrown and tangled they were. I've also weeded and pulled out loads of smaller things that weren't doing well. I'll be watering it frequently for the rest of...
    I've given all the shrubs around the tree a good prune today. I didn't realise how overgrown and tangled they were. I've also weeded and pulled out loads of smaller things that weren't doing well....
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. silu
    Funny x 15

Am I dreadful?

Just beginning down here too. I may be 500+ miles south of you but my cold clay soil is slow to warm up.
    Just beginning down here too. I may be 500+ miles south of you but my cold clay soil is slow to warm up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Arsenalrule

Am I digging too much or not enough

Hiya.I think this might be getting a bit over-complicated. Basically, dig it through, removing any weeds/roots the best you can. I would add manure except in those areas that will be used for...
    Hiya.I think this might be getting a bit over-complicated. Basically, dig it through, removing any weeds/roots the best you can. I would add manure except in those areas that will be used for root crops.
    Hiya.I think this might be getting a bit over-complicated. Basically, dig it through, removing any weeds/roots the best you can. I would add manure except in those areas that will be used for root crops.
    Hiya.I think this might be getting a bit over-complicated. Basically, dig it through, removing any weeds/roots the best you can. I would add manure except in those areas that will be used for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. takemore02withit

Am I being to adventurous?

Dont give up on the strelitzia.. Grow it to a good size before planting out near a hot wall. There after a blanket on frosty nights may well be all it would need and in about 5 or 6 yrs you...
    Dont give up on the strelitzia.. Grow it to a good size before planting out near a hot wall. There after a blanket on frosty nights may well be all it would need and in about 5 or 6 yrs you might get this happen.But it will require a bit of dedication.
    Dont give up on the strelitzia.. Grow it to a good size before planting out near a hot wall. There after a blanket on frosty nights may well be all it would need and in about 5 or 6 yrs you might get this happen.But it will require a bit of...
    Dont give up on the strelitzia.. Grow it to a good size before planting out near a hot wall. There after a blanket on frosty nights may well be all it would need and in about 5 or 6 yrs you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. boogaloo
    Like x 3

Am I being over-excited? Here's what I've planted indoors

Like you Angela I don't start my seeds off until March, although the island is a warmer place than most at this time of year, we have a cold damp air here that is no good for the younger plants. ...
    Like you Angela I don't start my seeds off until March, although the island is a warmer place than most at this time of year, we have a cold damp air here that is no good for the younger plants. You're right about the frustration of waiting when everyone else is getting things under way. :) ...
    Like you Angela I don't start my seeds off until March, although the island is a warmer place than most at this time of year, we have a cold damp air here that is no good for the younger plants. You're right about the frustration of waiting...
    Like you Angela I don't start my seeds off until March, although the island is a warmer place than most at this time of year, we have a cold damp air here that is no good for the younger plants. ...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice