1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. NIGEL.B

Jasminum Officinale

Thanks Lisa,I will give this a try and keep my fingers crossed.I put the plant in this particular position in the hope it would up grow up towards my daughters bedroom window.Maybe next winter I...
    Thanks Lisa,I will give this a try and keep my fingers crossed.I put the plant in this particular position in the hope it would up grow up towards my daughters bedroom window.Maybe next winter I shall put some flleece around it.
    Thanks Lisa,I will give this a try and keep my fingers crossed.I put the plant in this particular position in the hope it would up grow up towards my daughters bedroom window.Maybe next winter I shall put some flleece around it.
    Thanks Lisa,I will give this a try and keep my fingers crossed.I put the plant in this particular position in the hope it would up grow up towards my daughters bedroom window.Maybe next winter I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. John P

Fortinia Red Robin

This may helphttp://tinyurl.com/bjgm7Brian
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. MaryMary

Transformation

BASIC well, you have to plant sun loving plants in sunny site ...... this includes most of the herbs.,, rosemary, sage, lavender, thyme shade loving plants are ferns, hostas. butterflies like...
    BASIC well, you have to plant sun loving plants in sunny site ...... this includes most of the herbs.,, rosemary, sage, lavender, thyme shade loving plants are ferns, hostas. butterflies like buddlia but these are too agressive for pots imo, there are lots of small perennials which attract...
    BASIC well, you have to plant sun loving plants in sunny site ...... this includes most of the herbs.,, rosemary, sage, lavender, thyme shade loving plants are ferns, hostas. butterflies like buddlia but these are too agressive for pots imo,...
    BASIC well, you have to plant sun loving plants in sunny site ...... this includes most of the herbs.,, rosemary, sage, lavender, thyme shade loving plants are ferns, hostas. butterflies like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. redfifi1717

Pampas grass

Exactly pete, and makes them grow better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SteveW

FERNS

You do need to push a perforated piece of plastic piping down the centre and keep it filled with water, but that is no different to pouring water in the top of a tree fern all summer, now is it?
    You do need to push a perforated piece of plastic piping down the centre and keep it filled with water, but that is no different to pouring water in the top of a tree fern all summer, now is it?
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. jude

Moving house and garden

id buy a bag of compost to get a better result, and make the move less stressfull, you can use half to pot up and half to plant
    id buy a bag of compost to get a better result, and make the move less stressfull, you can use half to pot up and half to plant
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. rosietutu

Who's Money?

I have Shih Tzu Liz I was a breeder of these delightful little dogs when I lived in Cambridge did all the shows... actually won a RCC at Crufts 2000 with the sire of these two boys, then Disaster...
    I have Shih Tzu Liz I was a breeder of these delightful little dogs when I lived in Cambridge did all the shows... actually won a RCC at Crufts 2000 with the sire of these two boys, then Disaster struck a few weeks ago one of them went down on his hind legs diagnosed calcified disc... a trip ...
    I have Shih Tzu Liz I was a breeder of these delightful little dogs when I lived in Cambridge did all the shows... actually won a RCC at Crufts 2000 with the sire of these two boys, then Disaster struck a few weeks ago one of them went down on...
    I have Shih Tzu Liz I was a breeder of these delightful little dogs when I lived in Cambridge did all the shows... actually won a RCC at Crufts 2000 with the sire of these two boys, then Disaster...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. tigglestiggles

Soil from last year

Thanks for that - it is not that much so I think I will put it in the compost bin - didn't use stones for drainage - another lesson learned!
    Thanks for that - it is not that much so I think I will put it in the compost bin - didn't use stones for drainage - another lesson learned!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JO2006

Bronze leaf begonias

i will keep my fingers crossed for this year to flower thankyou for your help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. hans

Fern advice needed

I got some lime free compost today, cut the plant in half, washed it, no creepies present, but very little live material. Potted all of it in case of miracles, but to be honest if it was a person...
    I got some lime free compost today, cut the plant in half, washed it, no creepies present, but very little live material. Potted all of it in case of miracles, but to be honest if it was a person we would be all sitting around the bed with the minister present.
    I got some lime free compost today, cut the plant in half, washed it, no creepies present, but very little live material. Potted all of it in case of miracles, but to be honest if it was a person we would be all sitting around the bed with the...
    I got some lime free compost today, cut the plant in half, washed it, no creepies present, but very little live material. Potted all of it in case of miracles, but to be honest if it was a person...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jaycee

Magnolia

ericaceous compost will also help
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. David Robinson

Privat Hedging

I can find no mention anywhere of a good reason why you should not use privet shreddings as a mulch. Like any other decomposing material they can 'pull' nitrogen out of the soil, so it may be...
    I can find no mention anywhere of a good reason why you should not use privet shreddings as a mulch. Like any other decomposing material they can 'pull' nitrogen out of the soil, so it may be worth sprinkling some fertiliser around first.
    I can find no mention anywhere of a good reason why you should not use privet shreddings as a mulch. Like any other decomposing material they can 'pull' nitrogen out of the soil, so it may be worth sprinkling some fertiliser around first.
    I can find no mention anywhere of a good reason why you should not use privet shreddings as a mulch. Like any other decomposing material they can 'pull' nitrogen out of the soil, so it may be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. heather_helo

newbe with small balchony garden

Hi Heather, I have a balcony Garden here in London and everything grows very well it just depends on your space and how much work you want to put into it. I change many plants as winter sets in so...
    Hi Heather, I have a balcony Garden here in London and everything grows very well it just depends on your space and how much work you want to put into it. I change many plants as winter sets in so that I have colour all year. Admittedly I do get the sun but not before 1.30 pm in the summer. The...
    Hi Heather, I have a balcony Garden here in London and everything grows very well it just depends on your space and how much work you want to put into it. I change many plants as winter sets in so that I have colour all year. Admittedly I do get...
    Hi Heather, I have a balcony Garden here in London and everything grows very well it just depends on your space and how much work you want to put into it. I change many plants as winter sets in so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. val j

Spring bulbs

How about turning this to your advantage in the future. Stagger your planting to extend the flowering period.
    How about turning this to your advantage in the future. Stagger your planting to extend the flowering period.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Transkeisue

An old bath

Hi, when having fish in a pond you need to look for plands that help i.e you can get oxygen weed - not sure if thats the correct name but it puts oxygen in the water for the fish - also some...
    Hi, when having fish in a pond you need to look for plands that help i.e you can get oxygen weed - not sure if thats the correct name but it puts oxygen in the water for the fish - also some snails that clean up the fish waste - all makes a nicer environment.
    Hi, when having fish in a pond you need to look for plands that help i.e you can get oxygen weed - not sure if thats the correct name but it puts oxygen in the water for the fish - also some snails that clean up the fish waste - all makes a nicer...
    Hi, when having fish in a pond you need to look for plands that help i.e you can get oxygen weed - not sure if thats the correct name but it puts oxygen in the water for the fish - also some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Feline

pot plant for porch

Thanks for the ideas.I'll look into the ferns.Feline
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. rosietutu

Algae

My one word answer for all things mossy, slimey or dog fouled.Armillatox!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. LittleD

Pyracantha (firethorns)

Not in our garden they don't. We have all colours and the red ones are the last to go for some reason
    Not in our garden they don't. We have all colours and the red ones are the last to go for some reason
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Fran

January Garden Colour

Thanks Fran - That's the one! I had thought of Vibernum but gave up before I got to the 'T's :DEdit: I've never been a fan of helibores (aka Christmas or Easter Rose) but you could convert...
    Thanks Fran - That's the one! I had thought of Vibernum but gave up before I got to the 'T's :DEdit: I've never been a fan of helibores (aka Christmas or Easter Rose) but you could convert me, some of them are gorgeous! [ 17. January 2006, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: frogesque ]
    Thanks Fran - That's the one! I had thought of Vibernum but gave up before I got to the 'T's :DEdit: I've never been a fan of helibores (aka Christmas or Easter Rose) but you could convert me, some of them are gorgeous! [ 17. January...
    Thanks Fran - That's the one! I had thought of Vibernum but gave up before I got to the 'T's :DEdit: I've never been a fan of helibores (aka Christmas or Easter Rose) but you could convert...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gardening Newbie

Seed viability

Tomato seeds have a germination inhibitor which is broken down by enzymes found in the gut of primates, so sewage sludge is a really good source of tomato seedlings.
    Tomato seeds have a germination inhibitor which is broken down by enzymes found in the gut of primates, so sewage sludge is a really good source of tomato seedlings.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice