General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. SimonZ

Bees and biodiversity vd greenhouses

Why is pollination and the role of insects such as bees important, and preferable to artificial pollination, fertilisation, and just growing everything in greenhouses?Before anyone asks, this is...
    Why is pollination and the role of insects such as bees important, and preferable to artificial pollination, fertilisation, and just growing everything in greenhouses?Before anyone asks, this is not for a course, I am asking for my own interests and purposes. Nor is it for the essays I used to...
    Why is pollination and the role of insects such as bees important, and preferable to artificial pollination, fertilisation, and just growing everything in greenhouses?Before anyone asks, this is not for a course, I am asking for my own...
    Why is pollination and the role of insects such as bees important, and preferable to artificial pollination, fertilisation, and just growing everything in greenhouses?Before anyone asks, this is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Phil C

Plants for porch

Hi all,we have a porch that is north facing. I am looking for suggestions for plants that I can put on the windowsills. The windowsills are pretty small, around 5 1/2 inches deep by 18 inches...
    Hi all,we have a porch that is north facing. I am looking for suggestions for plants that I can put on the windowsills. The windowsills are pretty small, around 5 1/2 inches deep by 18 inches wide. Looking for something that smells nice, is easy to keep, and doesn't grow taller than 12 inches...
    Hi all,we have a porch that is north facing. I am looking for suggestions for plants that I can put on the windowsills. The windowsills are pretty small, around 5 1/2 inches deep by 18 inches wide. Looking for something that smells nice, is...
    Hi all,we have a porch that is north facing. I am looking for suggestions for plants that I can put on the windowsills. The windowsills are pretty small, around 5 1/2 inches deep by 18 inches...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wiseowl
    Like x 5

What's looking good in November 2015

Christmas Cactus in flower
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. waiting for the weather

Tips and/or a sense of perspective on plum maggots please?

Hi all,My mum and I recently found some lovely yellow wild plums, and my mum made them into lovely jam. No dramas.A week later I found loads of wild plums, all colours and sizes, and set...
    Hi all,My mum and I recently found some lovely yellow wild plums, and my mum made them into lovely jam. No dramas.A week later I found loads of wild plums, all colours and sizes, and set about washing and soaking them. HORROR. Some of the damson like ones split open slightly, and big maggot...
    Hi all,My mum and I recently found some lovely yellow wild plums, and my mum made them into lovely jam. No dramas.A week later I found loads of wild plums, all colours and sizes, and set about washing and soaking them. HORROR. Some of the...
    Hi all,My mum and I recently found some lovely yellow wild plums, and my mum made them into lovely jam. No dramas.A week later I found loads of wild plums, all colours and sizes, and set...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. whis4ey
    Like x 4

It's amazing ...

.... what a little bit of paint will do. Some pics of work as it happens :)
    IMG_2254B.jpg IMG_2255B.jpg IMG_2256B.jpg IMG_2257B.jpg IMG_2261B.jpg IMG_2267B.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. trogre

Thinking of Winter

Hi All.Looking on web today to get some extra wide large bubble wrap @ 1.5 Metre wide for the greenhouse. It is a job I never look forward to as trying to get a Alliplug through 2 layers of wrap...
    Hi All.Looking on web today to get some extra wide large bubble wrap @ 1.5 Metre wide for the greenhouse. It is a job I never look forward to as trying to get a Alliplug through 2 layers of wrap is a pain.I should say it goes through the wrap ok but always a problem trying to get the alliplug to...
    Hi All.Looking on web today to get some extra wide large bubble wrap @ 1.5 Metre wide for the greenhouse. It is a job I never look forward to as trying to get a Alliplug through 2 layers of wrap is a pain.I should say it goes through the wrap ok...
    Hi All.Looking on web today to get some extra wide large bubble wrap @ 1.5 Metre wide for the greenhouse. It is a job I never look forward to as trying to get a Alliplug through 2 layers of wrap...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. LLFOG (Steve)

Life lessons from your garden?

Hello there,I'm a somewhat novice gardener living in the 'burbs of London, seriously at it for only a couple of years now, but becoming ever-more involved and passionate about plants and...
    Hello there,I'm a somewhat novice gardener living in the 'burbs of London, seriously at it for only a couple of years now, but becoming ever-more involved and passionate about plants and gardens.I'm also really interested in having life-enhancing/interesting conversations (day job allows me...
    Hello there,I'm a somewhat novice gardener living in the 'burbs of London, seriously at it for only a couple of years now, but becoming ever-more involved and passionate about plants and gardens.I'm also really interested in having...
    Hello there,I'm a somewhat novice gardener living in the 'burbs of London, seriously at it for only a couple of years now, but becoming ever-more involved and passionate about plants and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. trogre

Small Propagator Lid

Hi All. I have loads of 1/2 size tray prop lids but none have vents in the top. For most purposes they are ok but need to buy some 1/2 lids with vents. I can see 2 types for sale so far.Stewart...
    Hi All. I have loads of 1/2 size tray prop lids but none have vents in the top. For most purposes they are ok but need to buy some 1/2 lids with vents. I can see 2 types for sale so far.Stewart which are clear plastic but will break if dropped, knocked too hard. The alternative are the...
    Hi All. I have loads of 1/2 size tray prop lids but none have vents in the top. For most purposes they are ok but need to buy some 1/2 lids with vents. I can see 2 types for sale so far.Stewart which are clear plastic but will break if...
    Hi All. I have loads of 1/2 size tray prop lids but none have vents in the top. For most purposes they are ok but need to buy some 1/2 lids with vents. I can see 2 types for sale so far.Stewart...
    prop Lid.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. nikirushka

Grass substitutes?

I am going to ditch my lawn as I just can't keep on top of it - it is all fast growing species and between work/weather/my back and joints (and when I do get it done, it is intensely painful for...
    I am going to ditch my lawn as I just can't keep on top of it - it is all fast growing species and between work/weather/my back and joints (and when I do get it done, it is intensely painful for me), I can only keep it short for 2-3 weeks before everything conspires to stop me mowing and it gets...
    I am going to ditch my lawn as I just can't keep on top of it - it is all fast growing species and between work/weather/my back and joints (and when I do get it done, it is intensely painful for me), I can only keep it short for 2-3 weeks before...
    I am going to ditch my lawn as I just can't keep on top of it - it is all fast growing species and between work/weather/my back and joints (and when I do get it done, it is intensely painful for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. whis4ey
    Like x 7

A new view

Clearing all of the overgrown dogwood is proving to be a slow process, but I am 3/4 of the way to completion, and pleased with the result. BONUS ..... I now have a great view from the top of the...
    Clearing all of the overgrown dogwood is proving to be a slow process, but I am 3/4 of the way to completion, and pleased with the result. BONUS ..... I now have a great view from the top of the garden down over the pond
    Clearing all of the overgrown dogwood is proving to be a slow process, but I am 3/4 of the way to completion, and pleased with the result. BONUS ..... I now have a great view from the top of the garden down over the pond
    Clearing all of the overgrown dogwood is proving to be a slow process, but I am 3/4 of the way to completion, and pleased with the result. BONUS ..... I now have a great view from the top of the...
    IMG_2218B.jpg IMG_2221B.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. sue young

12m border ... plant ideas please!

our back garden of our north facing house is lawned over - up to the west side is a 6 ft fence that we are fed up of looking at so thought we would dig up a 2 ft deep border. the garden,...
    our back garden of our north facing house is lawned over - up to the west side is a 6 ft fence that we are fed up of looking at so thought we would dig up a 2 ft deep border. the garden, including the fence side gets sun most of the day, so we are wanting to plant shrubs etc that can cope with...
    our back garden of our north facing house is lawned over - up to the west side is a 6 ft fence that we are fed up of looking at so thought we would dig up a 2 ft deep border. the garden, including the fence side gets sun most of the day, so we...
    our back garden of our north facing house is lawned over - up to the west side is a 6 ft fence that we are fed up of looking at so thought we would dig up a 2 ft deep border. the garden,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. clum111

Which Cherry Tree

Hi,It's me again with my Japanese Garden.It's a completely raised bed garden. So, I'd like a cherry tree that will grow and give me a canopy.Can anyone suggest a tree that will be suitable...
    Hi,It's me again with my Japanese Garden.It's a completely raised bed garden. So, I'd like a cherry tree that will grow and give me a canopy.Can anyone suggest a tree that will be suitable in a raised and hasn't got vigorous roots please? The bed is about 60cm H x 50cm D if that...
    Hi,It's me again with my Japanese Garden.It's a completely raised bed garden. So, I'd like a cherry tree that will grow and give me a canopy.Can anyone suggest a tree that will be suitable in a raised and hasn't got vigorous roots please? ...
    Hi,It's me again with my Japanese Garden.It's a completely raised bed garden. So, I'd like a cherry tree that will grow and give me a canopy.Can anyone suggest a tree that will be suitable...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. silu

Transplanting Veratrum Viride.

I have just 1 clump of this which is roughly 10 years old. It doesn't grow fast so the clump isn't very big. I absolutely love this plant and it is maybe my favourite foliage plant. Point of the...
    I have just 1 clump of this which is roughly 10 years old. It doesn't grow fast so the clump isn't very big. I absolutely love this plant and it is maybe my favourite foliage plant. Point of the post is this Spring we had very very severe frosts well into May. Veratrum comes into growth early...
    I have just 1 clump of this which is roughly 10 years old. It doesn't grow fast so the clump isn't very big. I absolutely love this plant and it is maybe my favourite foliage plant. Point of the post is this Spring we had very very severe frosts...
    I have just 1 clump of this which is roughly 10 years old. It doesn't grow fast so the clump isn't very big. I absolutely love this plant and it is maybe my favourite foliage plant. Point of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Michael04

Lavender...Anouk Zinc Purple

Evening all, Do I need to cut back my lavender?There are healthy looking shoots coming through but do I need to cut back on what has stopped flowering? This time last week I had an...
    Evening all, Do I need to cut back my lavender?There are healthy looking shoots coming through but do I need to cut back on what has stopped flowering? This time last week I had an abundance of bees visiting the plant but now not one.I have added pics of my two different plants.
    Evening all, Do I need to cut back my lavender?There are healthy looking shoots coming through but do I need to cut back on what has stopped flowering? This time last week I had an abundance of bees visiting the plant but now not one.I...
    Evening all, Do I need to cut back my lavender?There are healthy looking shoots coming through but do I need to cut back on what has stopped flowering? This time last week I had an...
    IMAG0598.jpg IMAG0600.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. whis4ey
    Like x 3

Aerial pic from 2001

I found this aerial pic from 2001 .... no wonder it takes me over two hours to cut the grass :)
    I found this aerial pic from 2001 .... no wonder it takes me over two hours to cut the grass :)
    DSC00497.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. daisybelle

Rockery advice please :)

From the top of the steps, so you can see into the planting pockets. So, finally getting around to the garden after over 4 years of doing the house up. One of the first projects is a rockery....
    From the top of the steps, so you can see into the planting pockets. So, finally getting around to the garden after over 4 years of doing the house up. One of the first projects is a rockery. I asked friends for donations of plants and they were amazingly generous! A lot of the stuff is best...
    From the top of the steps, so you can see into the planting pockets. So, finally getting around to the garden after over 4 years of doing the house up. One of the first projects is a rockery. I asked friends for donations of plants and they...
    From the top of the steps, so you can see into the planting pockets. So, finally getting around to the garden after over 4 years of doing the house up. One of the first projects is a rockery....
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. trogre

Soil Thermometer

Hi All. been meaning for ages ,last spring actually to buy a soil thermometer. I had a look on the web and anything from basic £4.95 up to whatever you want to pay. I think I would prefer a...
    Hi All. been meaning for ages ,last spring actually to buy a soil thermometer. I had a look on the web and anything from basic £4.95 up to whatever you want to pay. I think I would prefer a digital one just as it would be easier to read and one with a long probe. Anyone got any experience with...
    Hi All. been meaning for ages ,last spring actually to buy a soil thermometer. I had a look on the web and anything from basic £4.95 up to whatever you want to pay. I think I would prefer a digital one just as it would be easier to read and one...
    Hi All. been meaning for ages ,last spring actually to buy a soil thermometer. I had a look on the web and anything from basic £4.95 up to whatever you want to pay. I think I would prefer a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. whis4ey

Invasion of Fujiyama

I have just added a little video to my website of the day, a few years ago now, that a camera crew invaded my Japanese Garden in the making of a short film 'Yuki'. The little film proved to be...
    I have just added a little video to my website of the day, a few years ago now, that a camera crew invaded my Japanese Garden in the making of a short film 'Yuki'. The little film proved to be very successful and won plaudits at film festivals all over the world at the time Here you can see how...
    I have just added a little video to my website of the day, a few years ago now, that a camera crew invaded my Japanese Garden in the making of a short film 'Yuki'. The little film proved to be very successful and won plaudits at film festivals...
    I have just added a little video to my website of the day, a few years ago now, that a camera crew invaded my Japanese Garden in the making of a short film 'Yuki'. The little film proved to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. whis4ey
    Like x 3

In a bonsai dish

This is the little Japanese maple grown by me from a seedling planted in a bonsai dish. As it grows it will be moved to new pots until it is finally large enough to plant out into the garden :)
    This is the little Japanese maple grown by me from a seedling planted in a bonsai dish. As it grows it will be moved to new pots until it is finally large enough to plant out into the garden :)
    IMG_1537B.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sixtie7

Sowing a lawn

im tilling the ground today and am going to lay lawn seed fertiliser into the bare earth as preparation, but does anyone have any top tips they'd mind sharing with me; for sowing a nice lawn, for...
    im tilling the ground today and am going to lay lawn seed fertiliser into the bare earth as preparation, but does anyone have any top tips they'd mind sharing with me; for sowing a nice lawn, for helping it grow nice and thick, for helping it stay moss free and for stopping the birds stuffing...
    im tilling the ground today and am going to lay lawn seed fertiliser into the bare earth as preparation, but does anyone have any top tips they'd mind sharing with me; for sowing a nice lawn, for helping it grow nice and thick, for helping it...
    im tilling the ground today and am going to lay lawn seed fertiliser into the bare earth as preparation, but does anyone have any top tips they'd mind sharing with me; for sowing a nice lawn, for...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice