1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Bayleaf

GARDEN DESIGN SURVEY-STUDENT NEEDS HELP!

1=b 2=b 3=a 4=a 5=b 6=b 7 organic means using no synthetic sprays or fertilizers 8=c 10=b 11=a 12=no 13=b 15= if i cant physically do anything then i let my husband help me. 16=a 17=e 18=less...
    1=b 2=b 3=a 4=a 5=b 6=b 7 organic means using no synthetic sprays or fertilizers 8=c 10=b 11=a 12=no 13=b 15= if i cant physically do anything then i let my husband help me. 16=a 17=e 18=less chemicals, increased wildlife, more plants that need little or no watering, using plants to suit...
    1=b 2=b 3=a 4=a 5=b 6=b 7 organic means using no synthetic sprays or fertilizers 8=c 10=b 11=a 12=no 13=b 15= if i cant physically do anything then i let my husband help me. 16=a 17=e 18=less chemicals, increased wildlife, more plants that need...
    1=b 2=b 3=a 4=a 5=b 6=b 7 organic means using no synthetic sprays or fertilizers 8=c 10=b 11=a 12=no 13=b 15= if i cant physically do anything then i let my husband help me. 16=a 17=e 18=less...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. wanadoo

gardening

hi Sue and happy new year everyone.also thinking of growing mushrooms and im gonna try tomatoes again.grew toms last year from seed and was so proud,alas died miserably-too small a tub,gunna use...
    hi Sue and happy new year everyone.also thinking of growing mushrooms and im gonna try tomatoes again.grew toms last year from seed and was so proud,alas died miserably-too small a tub,gunna use buckets this time and manure thanks to my friends good advice over allotment.a bit cold yet only 40...
    hi Sue and happy new year everyone.also thinking of growing mushrooms and im gonna try tomatoes again.grew toms last year from seed and was so proud,alas died miserably-too small a tub,gunna use buckets this time and manure thanks to my friends...
    hi Sue and happy new year everyone.also thinking of growing mushrooms and im gonna try tomatoes again.grew toms last year from seed and was so proud,alas died miserably-too small a tub,gunna use...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. dannytrose

Advice Gratefully Received

Is a 1sqm bed big enough for spuds? I think my one bag of seed pots take about three times that space.
    Is a 1sqm bed big enough for spuds? I think my one bag of seed pots take about three times that space.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JoJo

Yellow Surfinias

Thanks for that tip, I'll give it a try this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. petal

Plant Catalogue on DVD

Has anyone else received a DVD with their Thompson and Morgan catalogue? I watched it earlier and it was quite enjoyable and informative for novice gardeners who like colourful bedding plants. ...
    Has anyone else received a DVD with their Thompson and Morgan catalogue? I watched it earlier and it was quite enjoyable and informative for novice gardeners who like colourful bedding plants. They also featured the begonia carpet in the Abbey Gardens in Bury St Edmunds which raised �£21,000...
    Has anyone else received a DVD with their Thompson and Morgan catalogue? I watched it earlier and it was quite enjoyable and informative for novice gardeners who like colourful bedding plants. They also featured the begonia carpet in the Abbey...
    Has anyone else received a DVD with their Thompson and Morgan catalogue? I watched it earlier and it was quite enjoyable and informative for novice gardeners who like colourful bedding plants. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. petal

New Gardening Programmes

hi Weed puller - agree with you about the Titch, would have been much more logical to go month by month (& to have started in January, as they presumably knew when they were to screen it). Hope...
    hi Weed puller - agree with you about the Titch, would have been much more logical to go month by month (& to have started in January, as they presumably knew when they were to screen it). Hope you have better look with the Sarcocca Liz & Fran - I can't smell them! - I do envy people that can!...
    hi Weed puller - agree with you about the Titch, would have been much more logical to go month by month (& to have started in January, as they presumably knew when they were to screen it). Hope you have better look with the Sarcocca Liz & Fran -...
    hi Weed puller - agree with you about the Titch, would have been much more logical to go month by month (& to have started in January, as they presumably knew when they were to screen it). Hope...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Julekha

Hedging - winter

I have quite a long privet hedge, and when I planted it many years ago, I used a little compost 'in' with the existing soil and I have not directly fed it since, and it grows really well. Happy...
    I have quite a long privet hedge, and when I planted it many years ago, I used a little compost 'in' with the existing soil and I have not directly fed it since, and it grows really well. Happy New Year.
    I have quite a long privet hedge, and when I planted it many years ago, I used a little compost 'in' with the existing soil and I have not directly fed it since, and it grows really well. Happy New Year.
    I have quite a long privet hedge, and when I planted it many years ago, I used a little compost 'in' with the existing soil and I have not directly fed it since, and it grows really well. Happy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. glasgowgreen

anyone recommend a good gardener?

would an azada not be usefull? no bending of spine or lifting of soils?
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. anette

stipa

I think what we are after here is the difference between the species, and the variety. Although I cant help any, as I know virtually nothing about grasses :rolleyes:
    I think what we are after here is the difference between the species, and the variety. Although I cant help any, as I know virtually nothing about grasses :rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Pauline3700

Broom

Thank you both very much for your advice, it was most welcome. I have to say that the yellow broom is only a few feet from my bedroom window & I actually like the scent from it. I'll be sorry to...
    Thank you both very much for your advice, it was most welcome. I have to say that the yellow broom is only a few feet from my bedroom window & I actually like the scent from it. I'll be sorry to see it go, but, as it's not going to survive the move, I have no choice but to replace it. Replacing...
    Thank you both very much for your advice, it was most welcome. I have to say that the yellow broom is only a few feet from my bedroom window & I actually like the scent from it. I'll be sorry to see it go, but, as it's not going to survive the...
    Thank you both very much for your advice, it was most welcome. I have to say that the yellow broom is only a few feet from my bedroom window & I actually like the scent from it. I'll be sorry to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. petal

Front Gardens

Besides designing the borders of your front garden to green up the front, either with containers or a border including perhaps a small tree or two at the front edge - why not try a border between...
    Besides designing the borders of your front garden to green up the front, either with containers or a border including perhaps a small tree or two at the front edge - why not try a border between where the wheels go with low growing spreading thymes and such - like the alpine bed in this months...
    Besides designing the borders of your front garden to green up the front, either with containers or a border including perhaps a small tree or two at the front edge - why not try a border between where the wheels go with low growing spreading...
    Besides designing the borders of your front garden to green up the front, either with containers or a border including perhaps a small tree or two at the front edge - why not try a border between...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Gardening Newbie

So What? When? & Where!

Hello Hans, No it is a cold greenhouse but large 40x20 protected on the east by a tall hedge & a steep hill. I've been growing early potatoes in it for the last 10 years but in that time we...
    Hello Hans, No it is a cold greenhouse but large 40x20 protected on the east by a tall hedge & a steep hill. I've been growing early potatoes in it for the last 10 years but in that time we have'nt had a severe winter so I'm wondering how this will turn out. I divide the space into four & rotate...
    Hello Hans, No it is a cold greenhouse but large 40x20 protected on the east by a tall hedge & a steep hill. I've been growing early potatoes in it for the last 10 years but in that time we have'nt had a severe winter so I'm wondering how this...
    Hello Hans, No it is a cold greenhouse but large 40x20 protected on the east by a tall hedge & a steep hill. I've been growing early potatoes in it for the last 10 years but in that time we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. hans

marigold maybe not

Hi all,I remember them well in my parents garden in a small village called Pant-Y-Dwr pant/e/do/er that was where mine probably came from originally, sadly a long time ago. Looking forward to...
    Hi all,I remember them well in my parents garden in a small village called Pant-Y-Dwr pant/e/do/er that was where mine probably came from originally, sadly a long time ago. Looking forward to reintroducing them.
    Hi all,I remember them well in my parents garden in a small village called Pant-Y-Dwr pant/e/do/er that was where mine probably came from originally, sadly a long time ago. Looking forward to reintroducing them.
    Hi all,I remember them well in my parents garden in a small village called Pant-Y-Dwr pant/e/do/er that was where mine probably came from originally, sadly a long time ago. Looking forward to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. frogesque

December Garden Colour

That flowering quince is gorgeous FranI'm having my 'summer hols' at the moment so I'm not working in the gardens but I have grown gorse as part of an anti-intruder hedge before. Sad fact...
    That flowering quince is gorgeous FranI'm having my 'summer hols' at the moment so I'm not working in the gardens but I have grown gorse as part of an anti-intruder hedge before. Sad fact but we do have to protect our properties so how about some 'green razorwire' :DIt is legumeous...
    That flowering quince is gorgeous FranI'm having my 'summer hols' at the moment so I'm not working in the gardens but I have grown gorse as part of an anti-intruder hedge before. Sad fact but we do have to protect our properties so how...
    That flowering quince is gorgeous FranI'm having my 'summer hols' at the moment so I'm not working in the gardens but I have grown gorse as part of an anti-intruder hedge before. Sad fact...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. PeterS

Autumn Sowing

The way I grew cowslips (primula) was to plant them, place them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge.They germinated and were a bit leggy after about 5 weeks when I remembered them. I...
    The way I grew cowslips (primula) was to plant them, place them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge.They germinated and were a bit leggy after about 5 weeks when I remembered them. I then removed them and planted them up individually in pots, planting them out in spring. They have...
    The way I grew cowslips (primula) was to plant them, place them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge.They germinated and were a bit leggy after about 5 weeks when I remembered them. I then removed them and planted them up individually...
    The way I grew cowslips (primula) was to plant them, place them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge.They germinated and were a bit leggy after about 5 weeks when I remembered them. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. petal

Chelsea Flower Show

TicketSDoes that mean you can take someone with you? :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. petal

Hyacinths

Thanks Pete - they won't flower for Christmas but it's something to look forward to afterwards. They are not in the warm most of the time because our central heating is programmed for early...
    Thanks Pete - they won't flower for Christmas but it's something to look forward to afterwards. They are not in the warm most of the time because our central heating is programmed for early morning and evenings. I'll wait until I have flowers before posting a picture.
    Thanks Pete - they won't flower for Christmas but it's something to look forward to afterwards. They are not in the warm most of the time because our central heating is programmed for early morning and evenings. I'll wait until I have flowers...
    Thanks Pete - they won't flower for Christmas but it's something to look forward to afterwards. They are not in the warm most of the time because our central heating is programmed for early...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. chewy

japanese knotweed

Sorry the council could do no more than offer advise - but twas worth a go. You sure have got a big job on your hands - but massive satisfaction - when done. The best of luck with it
    Sorry the council could do no more than offer advise - but twas worth a go. You sure have got a big job on your hands - but massive satisfaction - when done. The best of luck with it
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Liz

Frosty disasters!

Same here liz put lizzies in green house went away came home no lizzies. I think the cold snap was the worse for a good many years.
    Same here liz put lizzies in green house went away came home no lizzies. I think the cold snap was the worse for a good many years.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Liz

More plants ...

Thanks everyone. Palustris, that site is great, I hadn't found it!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice