1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Tony R

HELP

Hi Jostaberries -grow like a blackcurrant -but leave 6 feet between plants.I understand it to be resistant to mildew and very prolific. They should be ready for cropping about july time- expect...
    Hi Jostaberries -grow like a blackcurrant -but leave 6 feet between plants.I understand it to be resistant to mildew and very prolific. They should be ready for cropping about july time- expect the berries to be about twice the size of a blackcurrant. MMM, let us know how you get on, Regards ...
    Hi Jostaberries -grow like a blackcurrant -but leave 6 feet between plants.I understand it to be resistant to mildew and very prolific. They should be ready for cropping about july time- expect the berries to be about twice the size of a...
    Hi Jostaberries -grow like a blackcurrant -but leave 6 feet between plants.I understand it to be resistant to mildew and very prolific. They should be ready for cropping about july time- expect...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. gordon

Lavender

The worst thing for Lavender is the wet - not sure of your variety but stoechas is borderline hardy, - and like all lavenders, they don't like water. As they are new plants I would protect them...
    The worst thing for Lavender is the wet - not sure of your variety but stoechas is borderline hardy, - and like all lavenders, they don't like water. As they are new plants I would protect them with something like a cloche :D to keep the worst of the weather off if you can't lift them and...
    The worst thing for Lavender is the wet - not sure of your variety but stoechas is borderline hardy, - and like all lavenders, they don't like water. As they are new plants I would protect them with something like a cloche :D to keep the...
    The worst thing for Lavender is the wet - not sure of your variety but stoechas is borderline hardy, - and like all lavenders, they don't like water. As they are new plants I would protect them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. redfifi1717

Which book?

Thanks for the info m'daisy. Have seen what I want on e-bay and also done a bit of Christmas shopping on T&M! A good days work indoors, as it was too wet to go outside!
    Thanks for the info m'daisy. Have seen what I want on e-bay and also done a bit of Christmas shopping on T&M! A good days work indoors, as it was too wet to go outside!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. em in kelso

Can anyone help with ground prep.

i love junipers... they come in many guises and are native to scotland... there are loads of conifers to choose from... obviously no scots pine or Lleylandii in your courtyard, if i were you i d...
    i love junipers... they come in many guises and are native to scotland... there are loads of conifers to choose from... obviously no scots pine or Lleylandii in your courtyard, if i were you i d tend to go for a central feature with a few special specimins be carefull planting heathers, don t...
    i love junipers... they come in many guises and are native to scotland... there are loads of conifers to choose from... obviously no scots pine or Lleylandii in your courtyard, if i were you i d tend to go for a central feature with a few special...
    i love junipers... they come in many guises and are native to scotland... there are loads of conifers to choose from... obviously no scots pine or Lleylandii in your courtyard, if i were you i d...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Bayleaf

Soil Contamination test

You could also try- http://www.agregister.co.uk/prodcatgeo.asp?product-no=404750&postcode=wc1b3aj&distance=1000&submit-geosearch=GoThey have a list of companies by location.
    You could also try- http://www.agregister.co.uk/prodcatgeo.asp?product-no=404750&postcode=wc1b3aj&distance=1000&submit-geosearch=GoThey have a list of companies by location.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Charlie

Gardenia Leaf Drop - Help

Never had much luck with them myself, very tempramental as Liz says. :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ray

thanks for book advice

thanks to every one who replied to my question all replies very much appreciated and very helpful. regards ray
    thanks to every one who replied to my question all replies very much appreciated and very helpful. regards ray
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ray

gardening books

readers digest encyclopaedia of garden plants and flowers. to me it's like the garderers bible, that and hillier's manual of trees and shrubs, and as fran says the "expert" books by dr. hessayon...
    readers digest encyclopaedia of garden plants and flowers. to me it's like the garderers bible, that and hillier's manual of trees and shrubs, and as fran says the "expert" books by dr. hessayon are a very good start.
    readers digest encyclopaedia of garden plants and flowers. to me it's like the garderers bible, that and hillier's manual of trees and shrubs, and as fran says the "expert" books by dr. hessayon are a very good start.
    readers digest encyclopaedia of garden plants and flowers. to me it's like the garderers bible, that and hillier's manual of trees and shrubs, and as fran says the "expert" books by dr. hessayon...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. converted_gardener

Oestopernum is it dead

I would agree with Peter - chances are they are either dead or not far off - they are not hardy. Best treated as annuals. However dig 'em up - cut off the top growth and put them in some pots of...
    I would agree with Peter - chances are they are either dead or not far off - they are not hardy. Best treated as annuals. However dig 'em up - cut off the top growth and put them in some pots of compost and vermiculite. Give a little drink and leave them on a sunny windowsill for a month. You...
    I would agree with Peter - chances are they are either dead or not far off - they are not hardy. Best treated as annuals. However dig 'em up - cut off the top growth and put them in some pots of compost and vermiculite. Give a little drink and...
    I would agree with Peter - chances are they are either dead or not far off - they are not hardy. Best treated as annuals. However dig 'em up - cut off the top growth and put them in some pots of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. redmax

Cordyline (outside)

Not a briiliant pic but this might give you some idea, the trunk can be wrapped further if hard frosts are expected
    Not a briiliant pic but this might give you some idea, the trunk can be wrapped further if hard frosts are expected
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Daisies

global warming????

Brrrrr, I saw on the weatherforecast that another lot just appeared - even we may get some - but I hope not.It ain't nice when you got to drive, less about the snow, more about the other idiots...
    Brrrrr, I saw on the weatherforecast that another lot just appeared - even we may get some - but I hope not.It ain't nice when you got to drive, less about the snow, more about the other idiots on the road :(
    Brrrrr, I saw on the weatherforecast that another lot just appeared - even we may get some - but I hope not.It ain't nice when you got to drive, less about the snow, more about the other idiots on the road :(
    Brrrrr, I saw on the weatherforecast that another lot just appeared - even we may get some - but I hope not.It ain't nice when you got to drive, less about the snow, more about the other idiots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Lady Gardener

Building the Business

Hi LG Good on you for setting up in business & using your initiative - this reply is a bit lengthy so apologies in advance! I have been working as a gardener for about 3 years now, and yes its...
    Hi LG Good on you for setting up in business & using your initiative - this reply is a bit lengthy so apologies in advance! I have been working as a gardener for about 3 years now, and yes its tricky when you first start out, the winter months can be a killer. I'm doing a degree in...
    Hi LG Good on you for setting up in business & using your initiative - this reply is a bit lengthy so apologies in advance! I have been working as a gardener for about 3 years now, and yes its tricky when you first start out, the winter months...
    Hi LG Good on you for setting up in business & using your initiative - this reply is a bit lengthy so apologies in advance! I have been working as a gardener for about 3 years now, and yes its...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. wigston

urban fox

I suppose a green one would also suffice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. badger

Pruning hedging

no problem.. this is traditional time of year for cutting back hedging
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. bubbly

mouldy lily bulbs! will they grow?

To grow lilies from scales. Remove the scales carefully from the bulb, so as not to damage the point where they were attached to the mother bulb. Take a sealable plastic bag and put in a handful...
    To grow lilies from scales. Remove the scales carefully from the bulb, so as not to damage the point where they were attached to the mother bulb. Take a sealable plastic bag and put in a handful of either peat or vermiculite, whichever you prefer. This should be damp but not sodden. The best way...
    To grow lilies from scales. Remove the scales carefully from the bulb, so as not to damage the point where they were attached to the mother bulb. Take a sealable plastic bag and put in a handful of either peat or vermiculite, whichever you...
    To grow lilies from scales. Remove the scales carefully from the bulb, so as not to damage the point where they were attached to the mother bulb. Take a sealable plastic bag and put in a handful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. kickstart

painted heathers

All sounds rather fishy to me and a travesty of good plantsmanship.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. blue fingers

Hydrangea looking very dead

Thank you very much indeed Bayleaf.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. SteveW

More frosts

Liz, lovely pics. We've got a few fuscias surviving too but don't know if the next few days will finish them off.A little frost I don't mind but SNOW - I hate it. Roll on Springtime!
    Liz, lovely pics. We've got a few fuscias surviving too but don't know if the next few days will finish them off.A little frost I don't mind but SNOW - I hate it. Roll on Springtime!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Liz B

Garden Sheds!

Thankyou so much for your replies, I do feel a little more confident that I may be able to resolve this issue, interesting to hear from PeterS that you are happy with your shed now but I still...
    Thankyou so much for your replies, I do feel a little more confident that I may be able to resolve this issue, interesting to hear from PeterS that you are happy with your shed now but I still find it odd that the door doesn't open fully, it would only take another 2-3ins height to resolve the...
    Thankyou so much for your replies, I do feel a little more confident that I may be able to resolve this issue, interesting to hear from PeterS that you are happy with your shed now but I still find it odd that the door doesn't open fully, it...
    Thankyou so much for your replies, I do feel a little more confident that I may be able to resolve this issue, interesting to hear from PeterS that you are happy with your shed now but I still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. susieh

How to use Fleece?

I use an old blanket, fleece I find isn't enough on really cold nights, and remove it every day if the temperature is above freezing. Fleece is good for those spring frosts that we get when the...
    I use an old blanket, fleece I find isn't enough on really cold nights, and remove it every day if the temperature is above freezing. Fleece is good for those spring frosts that we get when the temperature drops just for a couple of hours or so.
    I use an old blanket, fleece I find isn't enough on really cold nights, and remove it every day if the temperature is above freezing. Fleece is good for those spring frosts that we get when the temperature drops just for a couple of hours or so.
    I use an old blanket, fleece I find isn't enough on really cold nights, and remove it every day if the temperature is above freezing. Fleece is good for those spring frosts that we get when the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice