1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Stuart Fawcett

Mossy lawn areas gone - despite creating more shade on it.

For the first few years in this garden we had loads of Moss in the lawn. then we planted a mini orchard in it. I let the hedge grow taller and it shaded the grass more, then we'd cut the grass and...
    For the first few years in this garden we had loads of Moss in the lawn. then we planted a mini orchard in it. I let the hedge grow taller and it shaded the grass more, then we'd cut the grass and leaving clippings on top, and even just mow the fallen beach hedge leaves into a mulch in situ -...
    For the first few years in this garden we had loads of Moss in the lawn. then we planted a mini orchard in it. I let the hedge grow taller and it shaded the grass more, then we'd cut the grass and leaving clippings on top, and even just mow the...
    For the first few years in this garden we had loads of Moss in the lawn. then we planted a mini orchard in it. I let the hedge grow taller and it shaded the grass more, then we'd cut the grass and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. mazambo

Nicotiana sylvestris

I don't know what minimum temperature they need but we overwintered a plant in our car port. It was unintentional. It was left there amongst the hundreds of pot plants we have in the car port...
    I don't know what minimum temperature they need but we overwintered a plant in our car port. It was unintentional. It was left there amongst the hundreds of pot plants we have in the car port and flowered the following year. This year is year three and it had again survived the winter but we...
    I don't know what minimum temperature they need but we overwintered a plant in our car port. It was unintentional. It was left there amongst the hundreds of pot plants we have in the car port and flowered the following year. This year is year...
    I don't know what minimum temperature they need but we overwintered a plant in our car port. It was unintentional. It was left there amongst the hundreds of pot plants we have in the car port...
    20210709_105344.jpg P1520547.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Stuart Fawcett

Black Bamboo's swan song? - is the 100 year cycle now?

@Sirius My fargesia nitidia flowered about 5 years ago and I took it out the following year, found a few seedlings, but many.
    @Sirius My fargesia nitidia flowered about 5 years ago and I took it out the following year, found a few seedlings, but many.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. IrisAtwood

Rhubarb leaves being eaten by slugs,snails and caterpillars

Guess this means slug-food is pretty rare in your garden. My slugs wouldn't touch the rhubarb until it was the last available food source.Edit: if you are lucky this problem will go away after...
    Guess this means slug-food is pretty rare in your garden. My slugs wouldn't touch the rhubarb until it was the last available food source.Edit: if you are lucky this problem will go away after one season since plants aren't eager to be eaten themselves. So in the upcoming months or year...
    Guess this means slug-food is pretty rare in your garden. My slugs wouldn't touch the rhubarb until it was the last available food source.Edit: if you are lucky this problem will go away after one season since plants aren't eager to be eaten...
    Guess this means slug-food is pretty rare in your garden. My slugs wouldn't touch the rhubarb until it was the last available food source.Edit: if you are lucky this problem will go away after...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Giri

What´s the Most Useful Plant in Your Garden?

The most useful plant in my garden is the one I can look at lovingly and think ........ I grew that from a seed
    The most useful plant in my garden is the one I can look at lovingly and think ........ I grew that from a seed
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ennnceee

The Botanical name for these daisy like sunflowers

Many thanks.
    Many thanks.
    Many thanks.
    Many thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Yana

lawn

Thank you very much everyone for all your help and advises, options!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Englishgirlinbrazil

Removing ant's nests... what happens next?

Hmmmm....all this dosing the soil with detergent/vinegar/salt/bleach! I use the proprietary little round traps that you squeeze a few drops of anticide into. Other creatures can't access it, it...
    Hmmmm....all this dosing the soil with detergent/vinegar/salt/bleach! I use the proprietary little round traps that you squeeze a few drops of anticide into. Other creatures can't access it, it gets taken straight back to the nest and destroys it. It works extremely well without polluting the...
    Hmmmm....all this dosing the soil with detergent/vinegar/salt/bleach! I use the proprietary little round traps that you squeeze a few drops of anticide into. Other creatures can't access it, it gets taken straight back to the nest and destroys...
    Hmmmm....all this dosing the soil with detergent/vinegar/salt/bleach! I use the proprietary little round traps that you squeeze a few drops of anticide into. Other creatures can't access it, it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Grib17

Gardening Ideas

I'm not too sure on the building regs. We want some greenery to soften the look of the house up a little bit.
    I'm not too sure on the building regs. We want some greenery to soften the look of the house up a little bit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. fred88

Max Slope?

I'd be inclined, sorry about the pun, to keep the slope dig it over incorporating some of the gravel and plant it up with drought tolerant plants, mostly low growing and spreading to hold the soil...
    I'd be inclined, sorry about the pun, to keep the slope dig it over incorporating some of the gravel and plant it up with drought tolerant plants, mostly low growing and spreading to hold the soil in place.
    I'd be inclined, sorry about the pun, to keep the slope dig it over incorporating some of the gravel and plant it up with drought tolerant plants, mostly low growing and spreading to hold the soil in place.
    I'd be inclined, sorry about the pun, to keep the slope dig it over incorporating some of the gravel and plant it up with drought tolerant plants, mostly low growing and spreading to hold the soil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. wiseowl

What is Looking Good in JULY 2021

New Thread HereWhat's Looking Good In August 2021
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Matthew Rosen-Marsh

Berberis dying

I'd cut back the stems with the the dead leaves still on them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Yana

Conifer with dry top

I don't know what your conifer is.We often prune the top of our small bright green conifer (Cupressus i think) and then the tree happily grows back over the cut area and looks good again....
    I don't know what your conifer is.We often prune the top of our small bright green conifer (Cupressus i think) and then the tree happily grows back over the cut area and looks good again. Cutting of the dead growth 'may' work for you too.
    I don't know what your conifer is.We often prune the top of our small bright green conifer (Cupressus i think) and then the tree happily grows back over the cut area and looks good again. Cutting of the dead growth 'may' work for you too.
    I don't know what your conifer is.We often prune the top of our small bright green conifer (Cupressus i think) and then the tree happily grows back over the cut area and looks good again....
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. MrsMajorhangover

Water Butt to Butt help!

I would temporally connect it to a mains tap at the top end, with another hose, so the extra pressure will dislodge any blockages or air locks.
    I would temporally connect it to a mains tap at the top end, with another hose, so the extra pressure will dislodge any blockages or air locks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Jack Sparrow

Growing Hollyhocks

@Jack Sparrow I have ringed a couple that I'm fairly sure are hollyhocks, there are several more I think, but use those two as a template. I was looking at a seedling about 30 minutes ago and...
    @Jack Sparrow I have ringed a couple that I'm fairly sure are hollyhocks, there are several more I think, but use those two as a template. I was looking at a seedling about 30 minutes ago and thinking it needs to go in the ground.
    @Jack Sparrow I have ringed a couple that I'm fairly sure are hollyhocks, there are several more I think, but use those two as a template. I was looking at a seedling about 30 minutes ago and thinking it needs to go in the ground.
    @Jack Sparrow I have ringed a couple that I'm fairly sure are hollyhocks, there are several more I think, but use those two as a template. I was looking at a seedling about 30 minutes ago and...
    20210802_180841.jpg Untitled.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. GaGa73

Olive tree question

To be brutally honest even the good one looks like its not happy. Is it a sunny aspect? As said earlier a repot would help.
    To be brutally honest even the good one looks like its not happy. Is it a sunny aspect? As said earlier a repot would help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Selleri
    Like x 6

B&Q gardener of the year- hats off!

@JWK I always think of Chelsea a bit like I think of a fashion show. The problem isn't the show, it's people copying it without using their imagination and putting their own twist on it, being a...
    @JWK I always think of Chelsea a bit like I think of a fashion show. The problem isn't the show, it's people copying it without using their imagination and putting their own twist on it, being a tad more subtle in their own style and understanding that the show and the high street are two very...
    @JWK I always think of Chelsea a bit like I think of a fashion show. The problem isn't the show, it's people copying it without using their imagination and putting their own twist on it, being a tad more subtle in their own style and...
    @JWK I always think of Chelsea a bit like I think of a fashion show. The problem isn't the show, it's people copying it without using their imagination and putting their own twist on it, being a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. NigelJ

Allium bulbs splitting

@pete your mate could well be right, over the years I have lost plants to overwatering so am on the cautious side.
    @pete your mate could well be right, over the years I have lost plants to overwatering so am on the cautious side.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Loofah

Steel ring or pipe

Quite like that, don't think I've seen one beforeI'll see if there's one nearby, thanks :)
    Quite like that, don't think I've seen one beforeI'll see if there's one nearby, thanks :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Idris

Soil for raised bed

You shouldn't have any problems there, virgin soil that has been through an 8mm screen blended with spent mushroom compost.The problems are when you buy from greenfield sites, where the...
    You shouldn't have any problems there, virgin soil that has been through an 8mm screen blended with spent mushroom compost.The problems are when you buy from greenfield sites, where the problems start, but who is to blame?I watched a programme called "Inside the factory" there was a part...
    You shouldn't have any problems there, virgin soil that has been through an 8mm screen blended with spent mushroom compost.The problems are when you buy from greenfield sites, where the problems start, but who is to blame?I watched a...
    You shouldn't have any problems there, virgin soil that has been through an 8mm screen blended with spent mushroom compost.The problems are when you buy from greenfield sites, where the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice