1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Banana Man

Ahhh, lazy sunny Sunday

Lowest for essex was 5, but may think about getting in my summer bananas cause the leaves might crisp. Not sure if the nights are long enough now for frosts are they? I need a fleece that...
    Lowest for essex was 5, but may think about getting in my summer bananas cause the leaves might crisp. Not sure if the nights are long enough now for frosts are they? I need a fleece that stretches from corner to corner, or one of those stadium roofs that close up. [ 29. May 2006, 12:26 PM:...
    Lowest for essex was 5, but may think about getting in my summer bananas cause the leaves might crisp. Not sure if the nights are long enough now for frosts are they? I need a fleece that stretches from corner to corner, or one of those stadium...
    Lowest for essex was 5, but may think about getting in my summer bananas cause the leaves might crisp. Not sure if the nights are long enough now for frosts are they? I need a fleece that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Daisies

Ahem! Slight mishap in support

Oh thank you folks. You are kind. Actually I had shingles in my mouth. Not a pleasant experience and taking a while for me to get over it.But you'll be pleased to know, despite mostly being on...
    Oh thank you folks. You are kind. Actually I had shingles in my mouth. Not a pleasant experience and taking a while for me to get over it.But you'll be pleased to know, despite mostly being on the floor, the beans are coming along very nicely! Nice and tender sweet!
    Oh thank you folks. You are kind. Actually I had shingles in my mouth. Not a pleasant experience and taking a while for me to get over it.But you'll be pleased to know, despite mostly being on the floor, the beans are coming along very nicely!...
    Oh thank you folks. You are kind. Actually I had shingles in my mouth. Not a pleasant experience and taking a while for me to get over it.But you'll be pleased to know, despite mostly being on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. SpringsHere

Ah, but will they grow in MY Garden ??

As Pete says, Springy, use peat when planting. A lot of heathers want poor soil to do well, that is , without too much nutrient. So check the species`you are growing and adjust the soil accordingly.
    As Pete says, Springy, use peat when planting. A lot of heathers want poor soil to do well, that is , without too much nutrient. So check the species`you are growing and adjust the soil accordingly.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ricky101

Aglaonema Silver Spear

@strongylodon - thanks , did not see any in a couple of smaller local garden centers and did try going into a large one but even on a weekday afternoon it was rammed full so we just turned...
    @strongylodon - thanks , did not see any in a couple of smaller local garden centers and did try going into a large one but even on a weekday afternoon it was rammed full so we just turned around and left as it just looked too risky for us, will have to wait until the new year when things...
    @strongylodon - thanks , did not see any in a couple of smaller local garden centers and did try going into a large one but even on a weekday afternoon it was rammed full so we just turned around and left as it just looked too risky for us,...
    @strongylodon - thanks , did not see any in a couple of smaller local garden centers and did try going into a large one but even on a weekday afternoon it was rammed full so we just turned...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. taney

Aggregates?Cobbles?

thanx for the information...i never thought of it!i hope i would get someone in birmingham with such an offer
    thanx for the information...i never thought of it!i hope i would get someone in birmingham with such an offer
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Agaveman

Agaves

Steve. Just to let you know that all three types you sent have a least 5 germinated. The Montana have germinated profusely. :D
    Steve. Just to let you know that all three types you sent have a least 5 germinated. The Montana have germinated profusely. :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. garden_fiend

Agaves

Thanks Gaz, They are Agave americana (one plain and one variegated) so I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice.GF.
    Thanks Gaz, They are Agave americana (one plain and one variegated) so I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice.GF.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. miraflores

agave>>>>>aloe !!!!

No it's not an aloe vera. My vera produces offsets like its nobody's business. I knew I shouldn't have let it meet the neighbour's rabbit. If anyone wants one ever, give me a shout.
    No it's not an aloe vera. My vera produces offsets like its nobody's business. I knew I shouldn't have let it meet the neighbour's rabbit. If anyone wants one ever, give me a shout.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Agaveman

Agave Strelitzia Juncea

Thanks Steve I was wondering with the seasons changing if the flowering time had altered they would have to be at their warmest to flower so would need to be inside at the coldest time of the year...
    Thanks Steve I was wondering with the seasons changing if the flowering time had altered they would have to be at their warmest to flower so would need to be inside at the coldest time of the year something I could not do with my s.nicolai,looks like it will have to enjoyed for its foliage in...
    Thanks Steve I was wondering with the seasons changing if the flowering time had altered they would have to be at their warmest to flower so would need to be inside at the coldest time of the year something I could not do with my s.nicolai,looks...
    Thanks Steve I was wondering with the seasons changing if the flowering time had altered they would have to be at their warmest to flower so would need to be inside at the coldest time of the year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. capney

Agave safety warning

:lollol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. dalbuie

Agave Palmeri

Dendro :D :DFletch ... hate to say it, but you're not in Scotland ... think (and I may be wrong) it's a wee bit colder there!
    Dendro :D :DFletch ... hate to say it, but you're not in Scotland ... think (and I may be wrong) it's a wee bit colder there!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Victoria

Agave americana

Cool, I must do an update pic of Vicky's plant-let 'Vlad the Impaler' !:hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. chobart

agave

I did think of removing the offsets but I didn't want to disturb things too much, might even remove another paving slab and give it more space. I like the natural look with most things. Know...
    I did think of removing the offsets but I didn't want to disturb things too much, might even remove another paving slab and give it more space. I like the natural look with most things. Know what you mean about the snails, they tend to leave their mark on my aloes, just enough damage to ruin...
    I did think of removing the offsets but I didn't want to disturb things too much, might even remove another paving slab and give it more space. I like the natural look with most things. Know what you mean about the snails, they tend to leave...
    I did think of removing the offsets but I didn't want to disturb things too much, might even remove another paving slab and give it more space. I like the natural look with most things. Know...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. terrier

Agastache Barberi

Hi Terrier. Sorry I can't really help I have never grown this. However I have grown Agastache rupestris which may be close. It looks similar and comes from the same part of the world - N Mexico...
    Hi Terrier. Sorry I can't really help I have never grown this. However I have grown Agastache rupestris which may be close. It looks similar and comes from the same part of the world - N Mexico and South USA. I suspect that it is not hardy. My RHS book says half-hardy for both barberi and...
    Hi Terrier. Sorry I can't really help I have never grown this. However I have grown Agastache rupestris which may be close. It looks similar and comes from the same part of the world - N Mexico and South USA. I suspect that it is not hardy. My...
    Hi Terrier. Sorry I can't really help I have never grown this. However I have grown Agastache rupestris which may be close. It looks similar and comes from the same part of the world - N Mexico...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Jazmine

Agapanthus.

Marley, thanks for the help, yes I will keep them in pots then I can move them around [or OH will!]Well they are on order and I am getting some free daffs coming too so I will be busy...
    Marley, thanks for the help, yes I will keep them in pots then I can move them around [or OH will!]Well they are on order and I am getting some free daffs coming too so I will be busy :hehe:When I told FIL he said "Oh, they are treated almost as weeds in New Zealand" :skp:I just...
    Marley, thanks for the help, yes I will keep them in pots then I can move them around [or OH will!]Well they are on order and I am getting some free daffs coming too so I will be busy :hehe:When I told FIL he said "Oh, they are treated...
    Marley, thanks for the help, yes I will keep them in pots then I can move them around [or OH will!]Well they are on order and I am getting some free daffs coming too so I will be busy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. frenchdigger

Agapanthus seeds

Hi 02 bit of info for Delphiniums failing from seed, 1) Keeping the soil too wet. 2) Sowing the seed too deeply. Seeds should only be covered with approximately 1/8" of soil. 3) Trying to...
    Hi 02 bit of info for Delphiniums failing from seed, 1) Keeping the soil too wet. 2) Sowing the seed too deeply. Seeds should only be covered with approximately 1/8" of soil. 3) Trying to germinate old seed. Delphinium seed loses its vitality after one year.Try the Pacific Giants variety;...
    Hi 02 bit of info for Delphiniums failing from seed, 1) Keeping the soil too wet. 2) Sowing the seed too deeply. Seeds should only be covered with approximately 1/8" of soil. 3) Trying to germinate old seed. Delphinium seed loses its vitality ...
    Hi 02 bit of info for Delphiniums failing from seed, 1) Keeping the soil too wet. 2) Sowing the seed too deeply. Seeds should only be covered with approximately 1/8" of soil. 3) Trying to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gazania

agapanthus seeds

They are usually ripe when the pod turns white and papery,as Vicky says, they will fall out fairly quick so gather them as soon as you see them.
    They are usually ripe when the pod turns white and papery,as Vicky says, they will fall out fairly quick so gather them as soon as you see them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. mazambo

Agapanthus repotting?

looking greatSpruce
    looking greatSpruce
    looking greatSpruce
    looking greatSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Agapanthus Panic !

@NigelJ ,@strongylodon , thanks for the reassurance . We have had a very mild winter here as well. The only thing I can do now is wait and see . Planting dry root plants never fills me with...
    @NigelJ ,@strongylodon , thanks for the reassurance . We have had a very mild winter here as well. The only thing I can do now is wait and see . Planting dry root plants never fills me with confidence as it seems you are planting some dead sticks !The description on the three varieties I have...
    @NigelJ ,@strongylodon , thanks for the reassurance . We have had a very mild winter here as well. The only thing I can do now is wait and see . Planting dry root plants never fills me with confidence as it seems you are planting some dead...
    @NigelJ ,@strongylodon , thanks for the reassurance . We have had a very mild winter here as well. The only thing I can do now is wait and see . Planting dry root plants never fills me with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Chopper

Agapanthus dilema

From memory I don't think Aga[anthus like being disturbed? I also doubt they will compete with Couch grass etc ... Perhaps put down weed suppressing membrane, leaving an X-shaped slit where...
    From memory I don't think Aga[anthus like being disturbed? I also doubt they will compete with Couch grass etc ... Perhaps put down weed suppressing membrane, leaving an X-shaped slit where each plant is, and let them grow through that, hand weeding any grass etc. that comes through the hole.
    From memory I don't think Aga[anthus like being disturbed? I also doubt they will compete with Couch grass etc ... Perhaps put down weed suppressing membrane, leaving an X-shaped slit where each plant is, and let them grow through that, hand...
    From memory I don't think Aga[anthus like being disturbed? I also doubt they will compete with Couch grass etc ... Perhaps put down weed suppressing membrane, leaving an X-shaped slit where...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice