1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Nicky Green Fingers

Any advice for a newbie

The seedlings at the top could be chives if you say they are a herb,or onions,leek,or spring onion.When the seedlings are bigger I would prick them out into individual plastic vending cups like...
    The seedlings at the top could be chives if you say they are a herb,or onions,leek,or spring onion.When the seedlings are bigger I would prick them out into individual plastic vending cups like you have on your window sill.I use clear plastic ones my husband brings home from work after work...
    The seedlings at the top could be chives if you say they are a herb,or onions,leek,or spring onion.When the seedlings are bigger I would prick them out into individual plastic vending cups like you have on your window sill.I use clear plastic...
    The seedlings at the top could be chives if you say they are a herb,or onions,leek,or spring onion.When the seedlings are bigger I would prick them out into individual plastic vending cups like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. liliana

Oenothera Biennis

Hi Liliana, If it's biennis then it's a biennial I.e. It will die after flowering, however they do seed themselves everywhere.There are though other forms of Evening Primrose that are perennial,...
    Hi Liliana, If it's biennis then it's a biennial I.e. It will die after flowering, however they do seed themselves everywhere.There are though other forms of Evening Primrose that are perennial, so it may be worth taking a chance and waiting till it's finished flowering and then cutting it...
    Hi Liliana, If it's biennis then it's a biennial I.e. It will die after flowering, however they do seed themselves everywhere.There are though other forms of Evening Primrose that are perennial, so it may be worth taking a chance and waiting...
    Hi Liliana, If it's biennis then it's a biennial I.e. It will die after flowering, however they do seed themselves everywhere.There are though other forms of Evening Primrose that are perennial,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Val..

Looking for a thread....

Hmmm, you sound as you were getting obsessed by it, Val.:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Cottage_plants

Gypsophila festival white

That's brilliant, thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. mowgley

Still going!!

Hi everyonePlanted these fuchsia's in may in pots, they have done really well all year. I moved them closer to the house around mid october to give them a little shelter as my back garden faces...
    Hi everyonePlanted these fuchsia's in may in pots, they have done really well all year. I moved them closer to the house around mid october to give them a little shelter as my back garden faces North East and there still going!!!
    Hi everyonePlanted these fuchsia's in may in pots, they have done really well all year. I moved them closer to the house around mid october to give them a little shelter as my back garden faces North East and there still going!!!
    Hi everyonePlanted these fuchsia's in may in pots, they have done really well all year. I moved them closer to the house around mid october to give them a little shelter as my back garden faces...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Rich

Back from my world tour

Hi Rich! Welcome back to GC - Co Durham is a great area isn't it? As for the rain, since the heatwave subsided it has hardly stopped!Look forward to some pics of your world tour.
    Hi Rich! Welcome back to GC - Co Durham is a great area isn't it? As for the rain, since the heatwave subsided it has hardly stopped!Look forward to some pics of your world tour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. golcarlilly

Seeds germinating!

well donehope you get plenty more ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Karl B

Compost

Thanks Nigel, appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ashlee1989

Heres a silly question

Thank you the wooden lolly stick was great advice!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. catztail

Wilkinsons sale

Wilkinsons has some decent offers on some of its garden stuff like benches, arches, sheds, etc. I didn't look at everything as I was after a bench. It was reduced down to £20 from £39.99! Can't...
    Wilkinsons has some decent offers on some of its garden stuff like benches, arches, sheds, etc. I didn't look at everything as I was after a bench. It was reduced down to £20 from £39.99! Can't argue with that!!!
    Wilkinsons has some decent offers on some of its garden stuff like benches, arches, sheds, etc. I didn't look at everything as I was after a bench. It was reduced down to £20 from £39.99! Can't argue with that!!!
    Wilkinsons has some decent offers on some of its garden stuff like benches, arches, sheds, etc. I didn't look at everything as I was after a bench. It was reduced down to £20 from £39.99! Can't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. paul walker

house plant info needed

Paul. See my answer to your PM with pictures of my C. elegans. I will put it publicly. No you can't take cuttings. See Pete's answer to your similar question. It is far too young too divide but it...
    Paul. See my answer to your PM with pictures of my C. elegans. I will put it publicly. No you can't take cuttings. See Pete's answer to your similar question. It is far too young too divide but it is a Chamaedorea elegans as Pete said. He knew without the close up of the base, but I am just a...
    Paul. See my answer to your PM with pictures of my C. elegans. I will put it publicly. No you can't take cuttings. See Pete's answer to your similar question. It is far too young too divide but it is a Chamaedorea elegans as Pete said. He knew...
    Paul. See my answer to your PM with pictures of my C. elegans. I will put it publicly. No you can't take cuttings. See Pete's answer to your similar question. It is far too young too divide but it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. showersinmay

Would a dahlia die if it were cut back now?

Pete, Thanks for that advice. I'll give it a shot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Mrs.B

Botanical binomial help please!

Thanks everyone- that makes a lot more sense, I think it must be a typo.B
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. HarryS
    Like x 7

2016 Gold and Wooden spoons !

As 2016 progresses into September . I wonder if the GC members have Gold medal winning plants for this year and also the inevitable Wooden spoon plants ( It looked great in the seed catalogue !)...
    As 2016 progresses into September . I wonder if the GC members have Gold medal winning plants for this year and also the inevitable Wooden spoon plants ( It looked great in the seed catalogue !) My list is belowFirst the Wooden spoons Phlox starry eyes - now to be fair the seed description did...
    As 2016 progresses into September . I wonder if the GC members have Gold medal winning plants for this year and also the inevitable Wooden spoon plants ( It looked great in the seed catalogue !) My list is belowFirst the Wooden spoons Phlox...
    As 2016 progresses into September . I wonder if the GC members have Gold medal winning plants for this year and also the inevitable Wooden spoon plants ( It looked great in the seed catalogue !)...
    DSCN1713.JPG DSCN1723.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. pip

Daffs pushing through

If they are 'Paper White' variety or similar then they can be very fast growing especially if indoors where they can flower in a very short space of time.
    If they are 'Paper White' variety or similar then they can be very fast growing especially if indoors where they can flower in a very short space of time.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Antonig

Fleece

I agree with Kristen The cheap stuff is usually "spun" whereas the better stuff is "woven" For example; the spun stuff might last you a season, and the woven stuff with care, will last a...
    I agree with Kristen The cheap stuff is usually "spun" whereas the better stuff is "woven" For example; the spun stuff might last you a season, and the woven stuff with care, will last a number of years, thus justifying its increased cost!
    I agree with Kristen The cheap stuff is usually "spun" whereas the better stuff is "woven" For example; the spun stuff might last you a season, and the woven stuff with care, will last a number of years, thus justifying its increased cost!
    I agree with Kristen The cheap stuff is usually "spun" whereas the better stuff is "woven" For example; the spun stuff might last you a season, and the woven stuff with care, will last a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. milesaway

red hot pokers

Hi all, i find the best way to get flowers on my RHP, place plant in full sun, add loads of compost into growing area,cut tops off in autumn, devide plants up in spring time every three yrs, BUT...
    Hi all, i find the best way to get flowers on my RHP, place plant in full sun, add loads of compost into growing area,cut tops off in autumn, devide plants up in spring time every three yrs, BUT plant three - five plants (or as many as you can to get a good display) windy
    Hi all, i find the best way to get flowers on my RHP, place plant in full sun, add loads of compost into growing area,cut tops off in autumn, devide plants up in spring time every three yrs, BUT plant three - five plants (or as many as you can to...
    Hi all, i find the best way to get flowers on my RHP, place plant in full sun, add loads of compost into growing area,cut tops off in autumn, devide plants up in spring time every three yrs, BUT...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. mipak

heather and grass

back in april this year, i very successfully transplanted around 150 sq.ft of heather to the bank in my garden where it's now flowering with a bed of purple. should look even better next...
    back in april this year, i very successfully transplanted around 150 sq.ft of heather to the bank in my garden where it's now flowering with a bed of purple. should look even better next year! however, there is a considerable amount of grass growing amongst it which, at the moment, i have to...
    back in april this year, i very successfully transplanted around 150 sq.ft of heather to the bank in my garden where it's now flowering with a bed of purple. should look even better next year! however, there is a considerable amount of grass...
    back in april this year, i very successfully transplanted around 150 sq.ft of heather to the bank in my garden where it's now flowering with a bed of purple. should look even better next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. newtoit

Help needed very new to gardens

I learnt all the basics from reading the 'Reader's Digest Guide to Creative Gardening' - it has sections on perenials, annuals, bulbs shrubs etc. There are beautiful pictures with descriptions,...
    I learnt all the basics from reading the 'Reader's Digest Guide to Creative Gardening' - it has sections on perenials, annuals, bulbs shrubs etc. There are beautiful pictures with descriptions, cultivation & propogation instructions and suggestions of companion plants and colour schemes. It...
    I learnt all the basics from reading the 'Reader's Digest Guide to Creative Gardening' - it has sections on perenials, annuals, bulbs shrubs etc. There are beautiful pictures with descriptions, cultivation & propogation instructions and...
    I learnt all the basics from reading the 'Reader's Digest Guide to Creative Gardening' - it has sections on perenials, annuals, bulbs shrubs etc. There are beautiful pictures with descriptions,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. glenw

late frost

brilliant idea oktarine..thats very helpful..thanks (though my local weather isnt bucking up anytime soon...boooo)
    brilliant idea oktarine..thats very helpful..thanks (though my local weather isnt bucking up anytime soon...boooo)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice