General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Mrs cloudy

pregnant gardener needs advice

CongratulationsI remember having the same concerns when I was expecting, I was just about to turn over my veg plot when I found out... my doctor told me not to do anything I wasn't used to...
    CongratulationsI remember having the same concerns when I was expecting, I was just about to turn over my veg plot when I found out... my doctor told me not to do anything I wasn't used to doing but if I ran a marathon every week it would be okay to keep doing it. The first 3 months or so...
    CongratulationsI remember having the same concerns when I was expecting, I was just about to turn over my veg plot when I found out... my doctor told me not to do anything I wasn't used to doing but if I ran a marathon every week it would be...
    CongratulationsI remember having the same concerns when I was expecting, I was just about to turn over my veg plot when I found out... my doctor told me not to do anything I wasn't used to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. robbo

winter bedding plants

To Rich's suggestion consider some of the early flowering bulbs and corns, whilst not bedding they will give some early colour. Iris reticulata flowers in february,then theres the snowdrops, and...
    To Rich's suggestion consider some of the early flowering bulbs and corns, whilst not bedding they will give some early colour. Iris reticulata flowers in february,then theres the snowdrops, and early flowering crocus - and winter aconite - and will die back soon enough to get the spring bedding...
    To Rich's suggestion consider some of the early flowering bulbs and corns, whilst not bedding they will give some early colour. Iris reticulata flowers in february,then theres the snowdrops, and early flowering crocus - and winter aconite - and...
    To Rich's suggestion consider some of the early flowering bulbs and corns, whilst not bedding they will give some early colour. Iris reticulata flowers in february,then theres the snowdrops, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JdeV

Memorial garden

To the previous suggestions - consider a golden form of ivy, virginnia creeper and ceanothus.Lovely idea and good luck with it.
    To the previous suggestions - consider a golden form of ivy, virginnia creeper and ceanothus.Lovely idea and good luck with it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Webmaster

Rape seed

You have got us all thinking Nathan. There is quite a bit of reading on the subject an it don't look good. Your post took me to this site http://www.snopes.com/toxins/canola.htm I will be rumaging...
    You have got us all thinking Nathan. There is quite a bit of reading on the subject an it don't look good. Your post took me to this site http://www.snopes.com/toxins/canola.htm I will be rumaging around in my cupboards tomorrow. Peanut butter's off.
    You have got us all thinking Nathan. There is quite a bit of reading on the subject an it don't look good. Your post took me to this site http://www.snopes.com/toxins/canola.htm I will be rumaging around in my cupboards tomorrow. Peanut butter's off.
    You have got us all thinking Nathan. There is quite a bit of reading on the subject an it don't look good. Your post took me to this site http://www.snopes.com/toxins/canola.htm I will be rumaging...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. tek

newbie advice please!?

You could still plant garlic,shallots and broad beans this time of year for croping in spring and early summer.IN kent you could probably grow mixed leaf salad,rocket in containers or soil.Organic...
    You could still plant garlic,shallots and broad beans this time of year for croping in spring and early summer.IN kent you could probably grow mixed leaf salad,rocket in containers or soil.Organic stuff includes manure and garden compost,sometimes available cheaply via the local council.Its also...
    You could still plant garlic,shallots and broad beans this time of year for croping in spring and early summer.IN kent you could probably grow mixed leaf salad,rocket in containers or soil.Organic stuff includes manure and garden...
    You could still plant garlic,shallots and broad beans this time of year for croping in spring and early summer.IN kent you could probably grow mixed leaf salad,rocket in containers or soil.Organic...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Anthony

Recommended reading..

I had a subscription to Amateur Gardener for 2 or 3 years and only stopped it in the end because of the awful puns they use for articles! The mag itself was a mine of information and tips and I...
    I had a subscription to Amateur Gardener for 2 or 3 years and only stopped it in the end because of the awful puns they use for articles! The mag itself was a mine of information and tips and I really learned a lot.
    I had a subscription to Amateur Gardener for 2 or 3 years and only stopped it in the end because of the awful puns they use for articles! The mag itself was a mine of information and tips and I really learned a lot.
    I had a subscription to Amateur Gardener for 2 or 3 years and only stopped it in the end because of the awful puns they use for articles! The mag itself was a mine of information and tips and I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. bubbly

sunflowers plant by birds!!!

I have barley, wheat and sunflowers popping up at various times its the birds. Great to watch in the winter .
    I have barley, wheat and sunflowers popping up at various times its the birds. Great to watch in the winter .
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fran

October Garden Colour

What beautiful flowers!Moved house beg Sept and new flowers keep popping up, just identified one as sedum from your pic.Thanks, will keep looking and hopefully identify some more.Amanda
    What beautiful flowers!Moved house beg Sept and new flowers keep popping up, just identified one as sedum from your pic.Thanks, will keep looking and hopefully identify some more.Amanda
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. mad mick-w

preventing damping off when growing seeds .

Ah I see. Thanks for that Pete.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. robbo

winter storage

I've not come across root rot problems hans, but then I only have the green australis, dont have any of the coloured leaved varieties. My three are all in excess of 15ft tall and branched, so...
    I've not come across root rot problems hans, but then I only have the green australis, dont have any of the coloured leaved varieties. My three are all in excess of 15ft tall and branched, so they have been there a while.
    I've not come across root rot problems hans, but then I only have the green australis, dont have any of the coloured leaved varieties. My three are all in excess of 15ft tall and branched, so they have been there a while.
    I've not come across root rot problems hans, but then I only have the green australis, dont have any of the coloured leaved varieties. My three are all in excess of 15ft tall and branched, so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. sharon

Play Area

Me I'd just turf it and let the grass grow or (wild idea) sow with a meadow mix and just scythe it after seeding - sand, bark or gravel have their problems - including cats, and spread, concrete...
    Me I'd just turf it and let the grass grow or (wild idea) sow with a meadow mix and just scythe it after seeding - sand, bark or gravel have their problems - including cats, and spread, concrete - just a tad hard, and rubber slabs - too muc.
    Me I'd just turf it and let the grass grow or (wild idea) sow with a meadow mix and just scythe it after seeding - sand, bark or gravel have their problems - including cats, and spread, concrete - just a tad hard, and rubber slabs - too muc.
    Me I'd just turf it and let the grass grow or (wild idea) sow with a meadow mix and just scythe it after seeding - sand, bark or gravel have their problems - including cats, and spread, concrete...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pk

Very Messy Garden

excellent, thanks rich
    excellent, thanks rich
    excellent, thanks rich
    excellent, thanks rich
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. frogesque

September Garden Colour

I saved the seeds from my kaffir lily and some grew with flowers the same colour as the parent, but others were a pale pink which I preferred.I imagine they were reverting to type, but it was...
    I saved the seeds from my kaffir lily and some grew with flowers the same colour as the parent, but others were a pale pink which I preferred.I imagine they were reverting to type, but it was nice to get two varieties for the price of one.
    I saved the seeds from my kaffir lily and some grew with flowers the same colour as the parent, but others were a pale pink which I preferred.I imagine they were reverting to type, but it was nice to get two varieties for the price of one.
    I saved the seeds from my kaffir lily and some grew with flowers the same colour as the parent, but others were a pale pink which I preferred.I imagine they were reverting to type, but it was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. lucys

Hello! I am new and looking for advise

Hello Rosegarden, Nice to hear from you. I am sorry I don.t know the name of the yellow lupin I bought it at the "Scotland Gardening" show in Edinburgh two years ago when they were selling off all...
    Hello Rosegarden, Nice to hear from you. I am sorry I don.t know the name of the yellow lupin I bought it at the "Scotland Gardening" show in Edinburgh two years ago when they were selling off all the plants. It was in full bloom in a big pot. I went back this year and bought another one which...
    Hello Rosegarden, Nice to hear from you. I am sorry I don.t know the name of the yellow lupin I bought it at the "Scotland Gardening" show in Edinburgh two years ago when they were selling off all the plants. It was in full bloom in a big pot. I...
    Hello Rosegarden, Nice to hear from you. I am sorry I don.t know the name of the yellow lupin I bought it at the "Scotland Gardening" show in Edinburgh two years ago when they were selling off all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. robbo

SWEET PEAS

Hi, Robbo - welcome to GC!I just wait until the pods are beginning to dry on the plant then pick them and let them dry some more, in a pot or on a tray on the window sill where it's dry and...
    Hi, Robbo - welcome to GC!I just wait until the pods are beginning to dry on the plant then pick them and let them dry some more, in a pot or on a tray on the window sill where it's dry and airy. Then I shell the seeds and store them in an envelope labelled with the date and type.Then the...
    Hi, Robbo - welcome to GC!I just wait until the pods are beginning to dry on the plant then pick them and let them dry some more, in a pot or on a tray on the window sill where it's dry and airy. Then I shell the seeds and store them in an...
    Hi, Robbo - welcome to GC!I just wait until the pods are beginning to dry on the plant then pick them and let them dry some more, in a pot or on a tray on the window sill where it's dry and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. floris

biting insects

Rich - Have just read your post of 10 Oct and to answer your query, the bites resulted in swollen areas without scabs; also other large (red)areas which itched like mad when showering. I will...
    Rich - Have just read your post of 10 Oct and to answer your query, the bites resulted in swollen areas without scabs; also other large (red)areas which itched like mad when showering. I will have to get an antihistamin cream for next time. I am sorry to hear of your symptoms. I also had...
    Rich - Have just read your post of 10 Oct and to answer your query, the bites resulted in swollen areas without scabs; also other large (red)areas which itched like mad when showering. I will have to get an antihistamin cream for next time. I am...
    Rich - Have just read your post of 10 Oct and to answer your query, the bites resulted in swollen areas without scabs; also other large (red)areas which itched like mad when showering. I will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. brazil

passion flower

So they haven't flowered yet, touch and go I would think with the frost coming up soon now. The Cornus sounds interesting, and well worth looking after, presume you should get more bracts each year.
    So they haven't flowered yet, touch and go I would think with the frost coming up soon now. The Cornus sounds interesting, and well worth looking after, presume you should get more bracts each year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. pete

acorns

Yes fran I know there are probably hundreds fo different types of quercus, but this looked very much like our common robur. I'm no expert at identification, but I do know the more commonly grown...
    Yes fran I know there are probably hundreds fo different types of quercus, but this looked very much like our common robur. I'm no expert at identification, but I do know the more commonly grown ones over here and I've walked passed this one for years. I would say its probably a couple of...
    Yes fran I know there are probably hundreds fo different types of quercus, but this looked very much like our common robur. I'm no expert at identification, but I do know the more commonly grown ones over here and I've walked passed this one for...
    Yes fran I know there are probably hundreds fo different types of quercus, but this looked very much like our common robur. I'm no expert at identification, but I do know the more commonly grown...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Liz

Labelling-favourite methods?

Hi all, Thanks very much for this- I have cadged an old embosser and found a pencil in my labelling tin. Will now begin to organise..........
    Hi all, Thanks very much for this- I have cadged an old embosser and found a pencil in my labelling tin. Will now begin to organise..........
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. willow21

ideas please

If the garden is very small maybe a small bed of a few different dwarf shrubs and connifers or something of the like would be more interesting than a hedge. A hedge can make a small garden feel...
    If the garden is very small maybe a small bed of a few different dwarf shrubs and connifers or something of the like would be more interesting than a hedge. A hedge can make a small garden feel even smaller and unless you would like one to provide a bit more security and privacy then I would be...
    If the garden is very small maybe a small bed of a few different dwarf shrubs and connifers or something of the like would be more interesting than a hedge. A hedge can make a small garden feel even smaller and unless you would like one to...
    If the garden is very small maybe a small bed of a few different dwarf shrubs and connifers or something of the like would be more interesting than a hedge. A hedge can make a small garden feel...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice