1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. michaelandeleanor

Advice required for Cordyline

I quite like the look of this, so I think I will leave well alone! Many thanks for all replies
    I quite like the look of this, so I think I will leave well alone! Many thanks for all replies
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. BugBear99

Advice request: August flowers

pulmonaria dark vaderperennials.com
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. WeeTam

Advice regarding the use of old straw ?

This link shows how to create a straw bale planterMake a Straw Bale Planter - Bob Vila
    This link shows how to create a straw bale planterMake a Straw Bale Planter - Bob Vila
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. SpringsHere

Advice re. ASTILBES please,

'Ello wilroda, yep - I've got just the place. I have Hostas, Ferns and other shade-lovers in a spot just outside my backdoor. These will add a lovely splash of colour - IF they grow.... They...
    'Ello wilroda, yep - I've got just the place. I have Hostas, Ferns and other shade-lovers in a spot just outside my backdoor. These will add a lovely splash of colour - IF they grow.... They are from Woolies - from £2.99 to £1.00. They look alright though,
    'Ello wilroda, yep - I've got just the place. I have Hostas, Ferns and other shade-lovers in a spot just outside my backdoor. These will add a lovely splash of colour - IF they grow.... They are from Woolies - from £2.99 to £1.00. They look...
    'Ello wilroda, yep - I've got just the place. I have Hostas, Ferns and other shade-lovers in a spot just outside my backdoor. These will add a lovely splash of colour - IF they grow.... They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sheryll

Advice re positioning/care of tree peony

I've only got one type of tree peony, a yellow one , it self seeds and seems to grow and flower in all aspects .I'm guessing yours didn't like the container, I tend to think they prefer a good...
    I've only got one type of tree peony, a yellow one , it self seeds and seems to grow and flower in all aspects .I'm guessing yours didn't like the container, I tend to think they prefer a good root run.
    I've only got one type of tree peony, a yellow one , it self seeds and seems to grow and flower in all aspects .I'm guessing yours didn't like the container, I tend to think they prefer a good root run.
    I've only got one type of tree peony, a yellow one , it self seeds and seems to grow and flower in all aspects .I'm guessing yours didn't like the container, I tend to think they prefer a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. lotvdaisy

Advice re live bamboo screening please

Hi Gloria,You have my sympathy as I have been fighting to get rid of a bamboo in my garden - you wouldn't believe the distance their suckers extend to. I found one had gone under my path to a...
    Hi Gloria,You have my sympathy as I have been fighting to get rid of a bamboo in my garden - you wouldn't believe the distance their suckers extend to. I found one had gone under my path to a distance of at least 6 feet. I ended up digging out as much as I could and treating the suckers I...
    Hi Gloria,You have my sympathy as I have been fighting to get rid of a bamboo in my garden - you wouldn't believe the distance their suckers extend to. I found one had gone under my path to a distance of at least 6 feet. I ended up digging out...
    Hi Gloria,You have my sympathy as I have been fighting to get rid of a bamboo in my garden - you wouldn't believe the distance their suckers extend to. I found one had gone under my path to a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. pipsqueaks

Advice re keeping plants during garden redesign

If the plants are in a bed I doubt the frost will be a problem - the soil will heat from below. Its when they are in pots, above ground, that their rootball / pot is likely to freeze. If they are...
    If the plants are in a bed I doubt the frost will be a problem - the soil will heat from below. Its when they are in pots, above ground, that their rootball / pot is likely to freeze. If they are in that state then some bubble wrap around the rootball will help (failing that fleece), but it only...
    If the plants are in a bed I doubt the frost will be a problem - the soil will heat from below. Its when they are in pots, above ground, that their rootball / pot is likely to freeze. If they are in that state then some bubble wrap around the...
    If the plants are in a bed I doubt the frost will be a problem - the soil will heat from below. Its when they are in pots, above ground, that their rootball / pot is likely to freeze. If they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. silu

Advice re evergreen Daphne please

I've got the same problem with moroccan mint growing through my Daphne cneorum. I just yank it out as soon as it shows...it'll give up before I do!
    I've got the same problem with moroccan mint growing through my Daphne cneorum. I just yank it out as soon as it shows...it'll give up before I do!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. compost maker

Advice re dwarf Bramley Apples?

I have a Bramley on dwarfing rootstock. I planted it 18 years ago and if I remember correctly, it was then 2 years old. It fruits exceedingly well:thumb: but even now needs to be staked. I...
    I have a Bramley on dwarfing rootstock. I planted it 18 years ago and if I remember correctly, it was then 2 years old. It fruits exceedingly well:thumb: but even now needs to be staked. I remember about 10 years ago it needed to be restaked because it blew over in a gale.:mad: It seems the roots...
    I have a Bramley on dwarfing rootstock. I planted it 18 years ago and if I remember correctly, it was then 2 years old. It fruits exceedingly well:thumb: but even now needs to be staked. I remember about 10 years ago it needed to be restaked...
    I have a Bramley on dwarfing rootstock. I planted it 18 years ago and if I remember correctly, it was then 2 years old. It fruits exceedingly well:thumb: but even now needs to be staked. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. silu

Advice re Clematis as success limited.

Ha love the "typical Clematis behaviour" comment!. While in no way boasting or I hope it doesn't come cross as tho I am, I've been gardening for a very long time and usually can find a good reason...
    Ha love the "typical Clematis behaviour" comment!. While in no way boasting or I hope it doesn't come cross as tho I am, I've been gardening for a very long time and usually can find a good reason for failures but some of my Clematis have me stumped. The tubs are HUGE, about 3ft high and 4ft...
    Ha love the "typical Clematis behaviour" comment!. While in no way boasting or I hope it doesn't come cross as tho I am, I've been gardening for a very long time and usually can find a good reason for failures but some of my Clematis have me...
    Ha love the "typical Clematis behaviour" comment!. While in no way boasting or I hope it doesn't come cross as tho I am, I've been gardening for a very long time and usually can find a good reason...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. hailbopp

Advice re Bamboo please

IME when you chop the stems they tend to put growth on sideways, so at least the pots will be full of rhizome :)
    IME when you chop the stems they tend to put growth on sideways, so at least the pots will be full of rhizome :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Merroney

Advice please: shade loving plants!

I would agree with Palustris, but take it a bit further and when you are at a gardencentre/nursery ask questions. I always like to chat to the staff. And don't be afraid to ask the same question...
    I would agree with Palustris, but take it a bit further and when you are at a gardencentre/nursery ask questions. I always like to chat to the staff. And don't be afraid to ask the same question at several different places. The answers will vary. You will find some do not know what they are...
    I would agree with Palustris, but take it a bit further and when you are at a gardencentre/nursery ask questions. I always like to chat to the staff. And don't be afraid to ask the same question at several different places. The answers will...
    I would agree with Palustris, but take it a bit further and when you are at a gardencentre/nursery ask questions. I always like to chat to the staff. And don't be afraid to ask the same question...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. AirAssisted

Advice please.

I would think that whatever you opt for it needs to be an evergreen or you'll end up with a tangle of bare, leafless stems for a decent chunk of the year that will look far from...
    I would think that whatever you opt for it needs to be an evergreen or you'll end up with a tangle of bare, leafless stems for a decent chunk of the year that will look far from 'amazing'.Trachelospermum are evergreen, pretty and fragrant, but unless you plan on planting en mass they will take...
    I would think that whatever you opt for it needs to be an evergreen or you'll end up with a tangle of bare, leafless stems for a decent chunk of the year that will look far from 'amazing'.Trachelospermum are evergreen, pretty and fragrant, but...
    I would think that whatever you opt for it needs to be an evergreen or you'll end up with a tangle of bare, leafless stems for a decent chunk of the year that will look far from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Hetty

Advice please, thank you :)

Well I went out spraying raspberry vinegar solution early this morning! :D My fingers smelled interesting and the nail varnish also survived.So its a win so far! I'll let you know any results.
    Well I went out spraying raspberry vinegar solution early this morning! :D My fingers smelled interesting and the nail varnish also survived.So its a win so far! I'll let you know any results.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. shiney

Advice Please! Pruning An Acer.

Thanks Spruce :dbgrtmb: We've had it three years now. It always looks good but hasn't, up to now, put on this spurt of growth. Last autumn nearly all the new branches died back just as they were...
    Thanks Spruce :dbgrtmb: We've had it three years now. It always looks good but hasn't, up to now, put on this spurt of growth. Last autumn nearly all the new branches died back just as they were starting to grow. Presumably due to the drought we had in Shineyland. The tree now seems to have got...
    Thanks Spruce :dbgrtmb: We've had it three years now. It always looks good but hasn't, up to now, put on this spurt of growth. Last autumn nearly all the new branches died back just as they were starting to grow. Presumably due to the drought we had...
    Thanks Spruce :dbgrtmb: We've had it three years now. It always looks good but hasn't, up to now, put on this spurt of growth. Last autumn nearly all the new branches died back just as they were...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. elf

Advice please!

elf, very important - don't add the nettles and your own urine at the same time :eek: :eek: ouch :D
    elf, very important - don't add the nettles and your own urine at the same time :eek: :eek: ouch :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Veg-and-flower-man

Advice please!

Here's Carol Klein's advice:Of these I have succesfully tried Japanese anemones, and Brunnera 'Jack Frost'. My shade, being under a large yew, is almost constant.
    Here's Carol Klein's advice:Of these I have succesfully tried Japanese anemones, and Brunnera 'Jack Frost'. My shade, being under a large yew, is almost constant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JayneyG

Advice please!

I grow mostly mangetout now JaneyG, thats not so susceptible to Pea Moth apparently and are so much easier to prepare and eat (not many of them find their way to our table as they are so yummy off...
    I grow mostly mangetout now JaneyG, thats not so susceptible to Pea Moth apparently and are so much easier to prepare and eat (not many of them find their way to our table as they are so yummy off the plant)
    I grow mostly mangetout now JaneyG, thats not so susceptible to Pea Moth apparently and are so much easier to prepare and eat (not many of them find their way to our table as they are so yummy off the plant)
    I grow mostly mangetout now JaneyG, thats not so susceptible to Pea Moth apparently and are so much easier to prepare and eat (not many of them find their way to our table as they are so yummy off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Bob Newey

Advice please regarding waterside flowers

Hello all,I live on a narrowboat. I don't have a garden and even when I lived in a house I confess my wife and I were not avid gardeners. But I've so enjoyed looking through some of the threads...
    Hello all,I live on a narrowboat. I don't have a garden and even when I lived in a house I confess my wife and I were not avid gardeners. But I've so enjoyed looking through some of the threads on here and I marvel at the passion and dedication of some of you. We also really enjoy admiring...
    Hello all,I live on a narrowboat. I don't have a garden and even when I lived in a house I confess my wife and I were not avid gardeners. But I've so enjoyed looking through some of the threads on here and I marvel at the passion and dedication...
    Hello all,I live on a narrowboat. I don't have a garden and even when I lived in a house I confess my wife and I were not avid gardeners. But I've so enjoyed looking through some of the threads...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Clair Louise Huntley

Advice please plants that can grow honeysuckle size needed

Any photos ? Past years when they have been in full flower perhaps?
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice