1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Liz

Lychees- help please!

Liz, I've been looking for lime seeds for years. For some reason they seem to think we like seedless varieties in the supermarkets. :mad:
    Liz, I've been looking for lime seeds for years. For some reason they seem to think we like seedless varieties in the supermarkets. :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. bubbly

what will happen if you plant seeds early/late??

Whilst temperature and wet can affect sed growing, light is the big problem. Whilst some seeds do OK in the low light levels during the winter, a lot do not and become leggy and fail. You may get...
    Whilst temperature and wet can affect sed growing, light is the big problem. Whilst some seeds do OK in the low light levels during the winter, a lot do not and become leggy and fail. You may get away with it sowing now, but not much later. You can of course invest in special greenhouse lights
    Whilst temperature and wet can affect sed growing, light is the big problem. Whilst some seeds do OK in the low light levels during the winter, a lot do not and become leggy and fail. You may get away with it sowing now, but not much later. You...
    Whilst temperature and wet can affect sed growing, light is the big problem. Whilst some seeds do OK in the low light levels during the winter, a lot do not and become leggy and fail. You may get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. petal

Cat Deterrant

Several weeks ago we took on a rescue cat and keep her in the house. We use a wood base litter which can and does go on the compost heaps. Up until then there were always a couple of moggies that...
    Several weeks ago we took on a rescue cat and keep her in the house. We use a wood base litter which can and does go on the compost heaps. Up until then there were always a couple of moggies that hung around the heaps and even sunbathed on them.It's been a while since we've seen them there now...
    Several weeks ago we took on a rescue cat and keep her in the house. We use a wood base litter which can and does go on the compost heaps. Up until then there were always a couple of moggies that hung around the heaps and even sunbathed on...
    Several weeks ago we took on a rescue cat and keep her in the house. We use a wood base litter which can and does go on the compost heaps. Up until then there were always a couple of moggies that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. mushroom

THE PRICE IS RIGHT or NOT

More important than what you ask for is how regularly you get paid. For regular customers paying cash you can be a bit more flexible especially with pensioners or disabled. Always book your cash...
    More important than what you ask for is how regularly you get paid. For regular customers paying cash you can be a bit more flexible especially with pensioners or disabled. Always book your cash payments though or the Tax folk will be on you like a tonne of steaming compost!For anyone that...
    More important than what you ask for is how regularly you get paid. For regular customers paying cash you can be a bit more flexible especially with pensioners or disabled. Always book your cash payments though or the Tax folk will be on you like...
    More important than what you ask for is how regularly you get paid. For regular customers paying cash you can be a bit more flexible especially with pensioners or disabled. Always book your cash...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. hans

Spring flower

You have it Liz, I pretty sure it is Lilium pyrenaicum sort of wild turks cap. The 'Turks Cap' pointed me to http://www.floralimages.co.uk/pliliupyren.htm I shall try and buy some for the spring....
    You have it Liz, I pretty sure it is Lilium pyrenaicum sort of wild turks cap. The 'Turks Cap' pointed me to http://www.floralimages.co.uk/pliliupyren.htm I shall try and buy some for the spring. Many thanks
    You have it Liz, I pretty sure it is Lilium pyrenaicum sort of wild turks cap. The 'Turks Cap' pointed me to http://www.floralimages.co.uk/pliliupyren.htm I shall try and buy some for the spring. Many thanks
    You have it Liz, I pretty sure it is Lilium pyrenaicum sort of wild turks cap. The 'Turks Cap' pointed me to http://www.floralimages.co.uk/pliliupyren.htm I shall try and buy some for the spring....
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. jen

figs

Jen, if the weather get a bit severe then yes but if you can move it to a sheltered sunny position then it should be OK. However if you have a cold greenhouse that would be ideal.
    Jen, if the weather get a bit severe then yes but if you can move it to a sheltered sunny position then it should be OK. However if you have a cold greenhouse that would be ideal.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. bubbly

cover half of the roots?

Hi Bubbly if you have a wide shallow pot, about 20" or more you can have the cabbages at the back...the heather in centre to front and plant the Violas amongst them. You could pot each cabbage in...
    Hi Bubbly if you have a wide shallow pot, about 20" or more you can have the cabbages at the back...the heather in centre to front and plant the Violas amongst them. You could pot each cabbage in about 6-7" pots and have then just half sunk it to the compost...they are only for winter and next...
    Hi Bubbly if you have a wide shallow pot, about 20" or more you can have the cabbages at the back...the heather in centre to front and plant the Violas amongst them. You could pot each cabbage in about 6-7" pots and have then just half sunk it to...
    Hi Bubbly if you have a wide shallow pot, about 20" or more you can have the cabbages at the back...the heather in centre to front and plant the Violas amongst them. You could pot each cabbage in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Frangipani

Holly Hocks.. Have I killed them?

ahh.. that might be the problem.. 'drainage and full sun' woops..the soil is a little claggy and they are sorta behind a tree..Guess it's best to move them now-ish?? Before they start growing...
    ahh.. that might be the problem.. 'drainage and full sun' woops..the soil is a little claggy and they are sorta behind a tree..Guess it's best to move them now-ish?? Before they start growing again..
    ahh.. that might be the problem.. 'drainage and full sun' woops..the soil is a little claggy and they are sorta behind a tree..Guess it's best to move them now-ish?? Before they start growing again..
    ahh.. that might be the problem.. 'drainage and full sun' woops..the soil is a little claggy and they are sorta behind a tree..Guess it's best to move them now-ish?? Before they start growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Daisies

my tub of morning glory and black eyed susan

Thanks everyone! I did put some feed in before potting up but obviously wasn't enough! I've gien them a good feeding since and they seem to be making valient efforts to come back! Probaby a bit...
    Thanks everyone! I did put some feed in before potting up but obviously wasn't enough! I've gien them a good feeding since and they seem to be making valient efforts to come back! Probaby a bit late fot the poor things now but I'll do better next year!
    Thanks everyone! I did put some feed in before potting up but obviously wasn't enough! I've gien them a good feeding since and they seem to be making valient efforts to come back! Probaby a bit late fot the poor things now but I'll do better next...
    Thanks everyone! I did put some feed in before potting up but obviously wasn't enough! I've gien them a good feeding since and they seem to be making valient efforts to come back! Probaby a bit...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Raymond

Common Ivy

Your very welcome
    Your very welcome
    Your very welcome
    Your very welcome
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. SteveW

Fuchsia fruits

I stewed the berries with sugar in a separate pan all the purple colour came out but they tasted awful and peppery :eek: so they never made the crumble. I will stick to just the apple in future.
    I stewed the berries with sugar in a separate pan all the purple colour came out but they tasted awful and peppery :eek: so they never made the crumble. I will stick to just the apple in future.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. badgerer

Looking to fill a few flower beds...

Hello all, when I moved into my new home I bought two packets of mixed seeds, that were labled "Butterfly and Bee Garden" and "Fragrant Garden" each pack contained a mixture of annuals and first...
    Hello all, when I moved into my new home I bought two packets of mixed seeds, that were labled "Butterfly and Bee Garden" and "Fragrant Garden" each pack contained a mixture of annuals and first year flowering perennials. the mix in each pack was sub devided into size 3"-20" and 20"-60"...
    Hello all, when I moved into my new home I bought two packets of mixed seeds, that were labled "Butterfly and Bee Garden" and "Fragrant Garden" each pack contained a mixture of annuals and first year flowering perennials. the mix in each pack...
    Hello all, when I moved into my new home I bought two packets of mixed seeds, that were labled "Butterfly and Bee Garden" and "Fragrant Garden" each pack contained a mixture of annuals and first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Psyk0

Best way to care for lemon-scented geranium?

We have 'Attar of roses'(smells like Rose Water), 'Lady Plymouth' (Eucalyptus scented), 'Prince of Orange' (Orange) . Will have to get the Lemon scented Geranium, we have a Lemon scented Verbena,...
    We have 'Attar of roses'(smells like Rose Water), 'Lady Plymouth' (Eucalyptus scented), 'Prince of Orange' (Orange) . Will have to get the Lemon scented Geranium, we have a Lemon scented Verbena, which is Very Very strong scented.Nathan.Ps. Welcome to the forum
    We have 'Attar of roses'(smells like Rose Water), 'Lady Plymouth' (Eucalyptus scented), 'Prince of Orange' (Orange) . Will have to get the Lemon scented Geranium, we have a Lemon scented Verbena, which is Very Very strong scented.Nathan.Ps....
    We have 'Attar of roses'(smells like Rose Water), 'Lady Plymouth' (Eucalyptus scented), 'Prince of Orange' (Orange) . Will have to get the Lemon scented Geranium, we have a Lemon scented Verbena,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. cherokee

GRAVEL GARDENS!

Perhaps it is about gravel size. My pussies have long gone to heaven and are not being replaced due to my winter retreat.
    Perhaps it is about gravel size. My pussies have long gone to heaven and are not being replaced due to my winter retreat.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. petal

Fuchias

cheers... I need my big sister to move house quick! I live in a tiny flat (read jungle + too many house plants) there is no room for anything else... She must get a conservatory and a green house!...
    cheers... I need my big sister to move house quick! I live in a tiny flat (read jungle + too many house plants) there is no room for anything else... She must get a conservatory and a green house!unless I turn the spare room into a very large green house! lol which my landlady (read mum)...
    cheers... I need my big sister to move house quick! I live in a tiny flat (read jungle + too many house plants) there is no room for anything else... She must get a conservatory and a green house!unless I turn the spare room into a very large...
    cheers... I need my big sister to move house quick! I live in a tiny flat (read jungle + too many house plants) there is no room for anything else... She must get a conservatory and a green house!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. slaydeuk

Eliminating Sedum

Many thanks for that. I have noticed that Weedol seems to set it back and I'm probably at fault in not following it up with further applications before it has time to recover. I'll try Roundup.
    Many thanks for that. I have noticed that Weedol seems to set it back and I'm probably at fault in not following it up with further applications before it has time to recover. I'll try Roundup.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. rickyH

Clematis

I've only got a patio out the back of my flat. the area is quite wet and full of snails and slugs.. When I first started out, my patio was a smorgas board of delicacies.. I didn't want to use...
    I've only got a patio out the back of my flat. the area is quite wet and full of snails and slugs.. When I first started out, my patio was a smorgas board of delicacies.. I didn't want to use pesticides or anything like that and 'night patrol' was too much effort.. I came to the conclusion that...
    I've only got a patio out the back of my flat. the area is quite wet and full of snails and slugs.. When I first started out, my patio was a smorgas board of delicacies.. I didn't want to use pesticides or anything like that and 'night patrol'...
    I've only got a patio out the back of my flat. the area is quite wet and full of snails and slugs.. When I first started out, my patio was a smorgas board of delicacies.. I didn't want to use...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. holme1

Eaten Clematis

Since I recently spotted a snail crossing my bedroom window (on the outside) yes, I guess they do go that high (unless a bird had dropped it and it was lost!)
    Since I recently spotted a snail crossing my bedroom window (on the outside) yes, I guess they do go that high (unless a bird had dropped it and it was lost!)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Fran

July Garden Colour

July seems to be a bit of a transitional month, but colour there is still a profusion.Astilbe, a lover of moist soils and partial shade, but otherwise, a great plant to growOne of the...
    July seems to be a bit of a transitional month, but colour there is still a profusion.Astilbe, a lover of moist soils and partial shade, but otherwise, a great plant to growOne of the huge range of Salvias, Forsskaolii is hardy, and will self seed, likes full sun but will grown in...
    July seems to be a bit of a transitional month, but colour there is still a profusion.Astilbe, a lover of moist soils and partial shade, but otherwise, a great plant to growOne of the huge range of Salvias, Forsskaolii is hardy, and...
    July seems to be a bit of a transitional month, but colour there is still a profusion.Astilbe, a lover of moist soils and partial shade, but otherwise, a great plant to growOne of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. brazil

worried

Nope - tis not appropriate for sensitive public gazeOn a lighter note - I heard an expression on the BBC weatherforecast that had me a little concerned - we are due to have "wet rain"...
    Nope - tis not appropriate for sensitive public gazeOn a lighter note - I heard an expression on the BBC weatherforecast that had me a little concerned - we are due to have "wet rain" tomorrow - have I missed something , is there another sort :D
    Nope - tis not appropriate for sensitive public gazeOn a lighter note - I heard an expression on the BBC weatherforecast that had me a little concerned - we are due to have "wet rain" tomorrow - have I missed something , is there another...
    Nope - tis not appropriate for sensitive public gazeOn a lighter note - I heard an expression on the BBC weatherforecast that had me a little concerned - we are due to have "wet rain"...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice