1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. andy

Fungus

We have a fungus growing (and expanding) in our lawn. I dig it up, it returns. I've put down lawn sand but its still there. The lawn is about 18 months old, it was laid by a firm and is Sovereign...
    We have a fungus growing (and expanding) in our lawn. I dig it up, it returns. I've put down lawn sand but its still there. The lawn is about 18 months old, it was laid by a firm and is Sovereign turf.here's the pictures ...roja.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/also - one of my trees has died...
    We have a fungus growing (and expanding) in our lawn. I dig it up, it returns. I've put down lawn sand but its still there. The lawn is about 18 months old, it was laid by a firm and is Sovereign turf.here's the pictures...
    We have a fungus growing (and expanding) in our lawn. I dig it up, it returns. I've put down lawn sand but its still there. The lawn is about 18 months old, it was laid by a firm and is Sovereign...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. kevin48

Corylus needs urgent help.

Last spring I planted a corylus in a semishaded position and it started off very well, with a vigorous leaf growth. However, despite regular watering through the hot weather, many of the leaves...
    Last spring I planted a corylus in a semishaded position and it started off very well, with a vigorous leaf growth. However, despite regular watering through the hot weather, many of the leaves have developed a black or dark brown discolouration, particularly nearer the top of the plant. My...
    Last spring I planted a corylus in a semishaded position and it started off very well, with a vigorous leaf growth. However, despite regular watering through the hot weather, many of the leaves have developed a black or dark brown discolouration,...
    Last spring I planted a corylus in a semishaded position and it started off very well, with a vigorous leaf growth. However, despite regular watering through the hot weather, many of the leaves...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Paladin

Frog paradise

Several duly sent on a FROG march,last seen heading north :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. confused

shaded hedge

mixed woodland? maybe something like hornbeam, beech, or hawthorn. all good hedgeing plants and all very good for wildlife.
    mixed woodland? maybe something like hornbeam, beech, or hawthorn. all good hedgeing plants and all very good for wildlife.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. glasgowgreen

Very new gardener, very decrepit old garden

To Bayleaf's excellent advise I would add the following. Sounds like you have cleared the garden, so are facing a fresh canvas - and with the age range of your children - you need a plan, of what...
    To Bayleaf's excellent advise I would add the following. Sounds like you have cleared the garden, so are facing a fresh canvas - and with the age range of your children - you need a plan, of what is going where - for the whole family - parents to chill, kids to explore and play. At this time of...
    To Bayleaf's excellent advise I would add the following. Sounds like you have cleared the garden, so are facing a fresh canvas - and with the age range of your children - you need a plan, of what is going where - for the whole family - parents to...
    To Bayleaf's excellent advise I would add the following. Sounds like you have cleared the garden, so are facing a fresh canvas - and with the age range of your children - you need a plan, of what...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. IckleWeed

What would you do different ?

Hi there, looking good so far. Im the same as Michaelmasdaisy and i have dug up and moved lots of things as ive gotten better at knowing where things would do better or look better. Im not too...
    Hi there, looking good so far. Im the same as Michaelmasdaisy and i have dug up and moved lots of things as ive gotten better at knowing where things would do better or look better. Im not too worried about the plants though as they are usually pretty easy to shift and will often let you away...
    Hi there, looking good so far. Im the same as Michaelmasdaisy and i have dug up and moved lots of things as ive gotten better at knowing where things would do better or look better. Im not too worried about the plants though as they are usually...
    Hi there, looking good so far. Im the same as Michaelmasdaisy and i have dug up and moved lots of things as ive gotten better at knowing where things would do better or look better. Im not too...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Skelf

Frosts are coming - will my tubs survive?

Another ruse is to move them closer to the building into a sheltered spot, if poss. Even in winter there is a storage heater effect which will make this area a few degrees warmer than out in the...
    Another ruse is to move them closer to the building into a sheltered spot, if poss. Even in winter there is a storage heater effect which will make this area a few degrees warmer than out in the garden.My thyme has been covered with snow several winters now, though, and doesn't look any the...
    Another ruse is to move them closer to the building into a sheltered spot, if poss. Even in winter there is a storage heater effect which will make this area a few degrees warmer than out in the garden.My thyme has been covered with snow...
    Another ruse is to move them closer to the building into a sheltered spot, if poss. Even in winter there is a storage heater effect which will make this area a few degrees warmer than out in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. T

Aquilegia

Thanks for that,its interesting to see what happens when they come up.I'm always asuming its me thats not green fingered but I'm getting quit impressed with what I have learnt up to now with a...
    Thanks for that,its interesting to see what happens when they come up.I'm always asuming its me thats not green fingered but I'm getting quit impressed with what I have learnt up to now with a little help from my friends of course this web site is great. Off to the garden festival now at Ness.
    Thanks for that,its interesting to see what happens when they come up.I'm always asuming its me thats not green fingered but I'm getting quit impressed with what I have learnt up to now with a little help from my friends of course this web site...
    Thanks for that,its interesting to see what happens when they come up.I'm always asuming its me thats not green fingered but I'm getting quit impressed with what I have learnt up to now with a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Daisies

Sometimes I don't understand gardening!!!

Hi, webmaster. Just tried the animator site you posted to Fran. I'ts great. Love Gardeners corner too, learning something new everytime i visit the site.
    Hi, webmaster. Just tried the animator site you posted to Fran. I'ts great. Love Gardeners corner too, learning something new everytime i visit the site.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. trickywoo

Indian mint

Hi Tricky Woo - I have just bought one for myself too! - Satureja douglasii, its a member of the savory family (labiatae). (also known as Indian mint are S.spicigera or S.repandra- also known as...
    Hi Tricky Woo - I have just bought one for myself too! - Satureja douglasii, its a member of the savory family (labiatae). (also known as Indian mint are S.spicigera or S.repandra- also known as creeping savory!)- likes well drained, neutral to alkaline soil in sun. Hardy to 1/2 hardy (in other...
    Hi Tricky Woo - I have just bought one for myself too! - Satureja douglasii, its a member of the savory family (labiatae). (also known as Indian mint are S.spicigera or S.repandra- also known as creeping savory!)- likes well drained, neutral to...
    Hi Tricky Woo - I have just bought one for myself too! - Satureja douglasii, its a member of the savory family (labiatae). (also known as Indian mint are S.spicigera or S.repandra- also known as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Frangipani

African Violets

Thanks again Pete! ;)I'll go and sort it out now. ( If I can drag myself away from GC! :D )
    Thanks again Pete! ;)I'll go and sort it out now. ( If I can drag myself away from GC! :D )
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. In the jungle

Where to start ?

Great job..JC....bet you are proud of it, inspite of the blisters lol Re Wasp nests, they need to be destroyed, as Bayleaf said, if not, they take up residence nearby and each colony will set up...
    Great job..JC....bet you are proud of it, inspite of the blisters lol Re Wasp nests, they need to be destroyed, as Bayleaf said, if not, they take up residence nearby and each colony will set up elsewhere next year. Vinegar ? more like Diesel and a match, lol if it is outdoors in ground,...
    Great job..JC....bet you are proud of it, inspite of the blisters lol Re Wasp nests, they need to be destroyed, as Bayleaf said, if not, they take up residence nearby and each colony will set up elsewhere next year. Vinegar ? more like...
    Great job..JC....bet you are proud of it, inspite of the blisters lol Re Wasp nests, they need to be destroyed, as Bayleaf said, if not, they take up residence nearby and each colony will set up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. sherry040999

Harbanaro chilli plant

Hi, usually when you get bud drop it means erratic watering, what size pot do you have it in? I have some habanero plants in the greenhouse and I do get the odd flower dropping off but so far...
    Hi, usually when you get bud drop it means erratic watering, what size pot do you have it in? I have some habanero plants in the greenhouse and I do get the odd flower dropping off but so far nothing to worry about. Your Apache chilli plant sounds good I have not got round to trying them yet...
    Hi, usually when you get bud drop it means erratic watering, what size pot do you have it in? I have some habanero plants in the greenhouse and I do get the odd flower dropping off but so far nothing to worry about. Your Apache chilli plant...
    Hi, usually when you get bud drop it means erratic watering, what size pot do you have it in? I have some habanero plants in the greenhouse and I do get the odd flower dropping off but so far...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. em

can someone explain????

thanks steve, will get digging and filling lol. will also try alderman peas as not very successful with short ones thanks to next doors cat, who will soon be a muff!!!lol
    thanks steve, will get digging and filling lol. will also try alderman peas as not very successful with short ones thanks to next doors cat, who will soon be a muff!!!lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Skelf

Newbie with a boring garden

hiya, I am in Morayshire too Do a soil check before planting your heathers, it is usually acidic to neutral here and very suitable to heathers without any need for special composts
    hiya, I am in Morayshire too Do a soil check before planting your heathers, it is usually acidic to neutral here and very suitable to heathers without any need for special composts
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. deaks

orchid pruning

Hi fran, I think some pics would help. I'm not really clued up on all orchids, just some of the more common types. A jewel orchid? have you got it latin name? not sure what that is off the top of...
    Hi fran, I think some pics would help. I'm not really clued up on all orchids, just some of the more common types. A jewel orchid? have you got it latin name? not sure what that is off the top of my head. Cym? Cymbidiums in sphagnum moss, that dont sound right. Cutting off the flower stems...
    Hi fran, I think some pics would help. I'm not really clued up on all orchids, just some of the more common types. A jewel orchid? have you got it latin name? not sure what that is off the top of my head. Cym? Cymbidiums in sphagnum moss, that...
    Hi fran, I think some pics would help. I'm not really clued up on all orchids, just some of the more common types. A jewel orchid? have you got it latin name? not sure what that is off the top of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. buttons

please can someone tell me how to control 4 cosmos plants

I tried them for the first time Buttons and think they are brilliant. I put three in a large pot, which was standing on some stones anyway. And so their tops were nearly 6 feet high. They had...
    I tried them for the first time Buttons and think they are brilliant. I put three in a large pot, which was standing on some stones anyway. And so their tops were nearly 6 feet high. They had real presence, but sadly last night's wind broke two of them. Memo next year support them. I am...
    I tried them for the first time Buttons and think they are brilliant. I put three in a large pot, which was standing on some stones anyway. And so their tops were nearly 6 feet high. They had real presence, but sadly last night's wind broke...
    I tried them for the first time Buttons and think they are brilliant. I put three in a large pot, which was standing on some stones anyway. And so their tops were nearly 6 feet high. They had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. deaks

orchid pruning

Sorry about the links But i know slightly more about brain surgery than orchids so unless someone with knowledge posts, here's a better page, look for the question.... 'Q: The flowers on my...
    Sorry about the links But i know slightly more about brain surgery than orchids so unless someone with knowledge posts, here's a better page, look for the question.... 'Q: The flowers on my flower spike has fallen off. Do I now need to cut the stem?' also look at the photo...
    Sorry about the links But i know slightly more about brain surgery than orchids so unless someone with knowledge posts, here's a better page, look for the question.... 'Q: The flowers on my flower spike has fallen off. Do I now need to cut the...
    Sorry about the links But i know slightly more about brain surgery than orchids so unless someone with knowledge posts, here's a better page, look for the question.... 'Q: The flowers on my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. marcia

mushrooms

Looks a bit like the sought after blewit (lepista to me)http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_fungi_sci&enlarge=0000+0000+0304+0497erm, but don't take my word for that ...
    Looks a bit like the sought after blewit (lepista to me)http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_fungi_sci&enlarge=0000+0000+0304+0497erm, but don't take my word for that [ 25. August 2005, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: SteveW ]
    Looks a bit like the sought after blewit (lepista to me)http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_fungi_sci&enlarge=0000+0000+0304+0497erm, but don't take my word for that [ 25. August 2005, 07:28 PM: Message edited...
    Looks a bit like the sought after blewit (lepista to me)http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_fungi_sci&enlarge=0000+0000+0304+0497erm, but don't take my word for that ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. xsxaxmxmxyx

Rhododendron...

Ladybirds ideas could be right, it might be to prevent water losshttp://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/articles/woody_ornamentals/rhododen.html
    Ladybirds ideas could be right, it might be to prevent water losshttp://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/articles/woody_ornamentals/rhododen.html
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice