General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. whis4ey
    Like x 3

Acer palmatum 'Firecracker'

Here is the latest addition to my garden .. Acer palmatum 'Firecracker' just purchased last week and planted yesterday More pics on the link below Acer palmatum 'Firecracker '
    Here is the latest addition to my garden .. Acer palmatum 'Firecracker' just purchased last week and planted yesterday More pics on the link below Acer palmatum 'Firecracker '
    IMG_2633.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. rosietutu

Acer Palmatum

Your welcome rosietu, always nice when you have bought something and it turns out to be rare or special in some way, look after it. BM
    Your welcome rosietu, always nice when you have bought something and it turns out to be rare or special in some way, look after it. BM
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Jo Hatcher

Acer Palmatum

Scale insect indeed. Mainly an aesthetic problem rather than anything else, although I suppose tree growth can be retarded if the insects much the leaves and the tree can't photosynthesize as much...
    Scale insect indeed. Mainly an aesthetic problem rather than anything else, although I suppose tree growth can be retarded if the insects much the leaves and the tree can't photosynthesize as much as normal. They'll go eventually of their own accord but you could try a pesticide if you're really...
    Scale insect indeed. Mainly an aesthetic problem rather than anything else, although I suppose tree growth can be retarded if the insects much the leaves and the tree can't photosynthesize as much as normal. They'll go eventually of their own...
    Scale insect indeed. Mainly an aesthetic problem rather than anything else, although I suppose tree growth can be retarded if the insects much the leaves and the tree can't photosynthesize as much...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. strongylodon

Acer P D B&Q

B&Q are selling some reasonably priced, good quality, Acer Palmatum Dissectum, red and green. Snapped one up while I was there, I thought £15 wasn't too bad for one.A P Dissectum 'Garnet'
    B&Q are selling some reasonably priced, good quality, Acer Palmatum Dissectum, red and green. Snapped one up while I was there, I thought £15 wasn't too bad for one.A P Dissectum 'Garnet'
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Clueless76

Acer now in the sun

Mine here grows in pretty much full sun and looks very similar to yours but it does have full wind protection with a hedge and tree either side. I think that will be a bigger problem for yours...
    Mine here grows in pretty much full sun and looks very similar to yours but it does have full wind protection with a hedge and tree either side. I think that will be a bigger problem for yours with the fence being removed.
    Mine here grows in pretty much full sun and looks very similar to yours but it does have full wind protection with a hedge and tree either side. I think that will be a bigger problem for yours with the fence being removed.
    Mine here grows in pretty much full sun and looks very similar to yours but it does have full wind protection with a hedge and tree either side. I think that will be a bigger problem for yours...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Man Of Leisure MOL

Acer lower branches

I saw something once on a programme with Chris Beardshaw-I am by no means advocating it but what is that thing where they cut a slice into the trunk that stops the sap rising up that particular...
    I saw something once on a programme with Chris Beardshaw-I am by no means advocating it but what is that thing where they cut a slice into the trunk that stops the sap rising up that particular "vein" ( can't think of the word) and forces new shoots below the cut.
    I saw something once on a programme with Chris Beardshaw-I am by no means advocating it but what is that thing where they cut a slice into the trunk that stops the sap rising up that particular "vein" ( can't think of the word) and forces new...
    I saw something once on a programme with Chris Beardshaw-I am by no means advocating it but what is that thing where they cut a slice into the trunk that stops the sap rising up that particular...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. moonrakermagpie

Acer lost all its leaves during dry spell!!!

And, if it works, let us know :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Katherine

Acer in trouble - please help

I think I would want to read-pot so as I could check the root ball.. Vine weevil damage has crossed my mind looking at your pics again.. I think I would report not by much only going up a couple...
    I think I would want to read-pot so as I could check the root ball.. Vine weevil damage has crossed my mind looking at your pics again.. I think I would report not by much only going up a couple of sizes I think.. While you are repotting it check base of rootball for vine weevil grubs.. They...
    I think I would want to read-pot so as I could check the root ball.. Vine weevil damage has crossed my mind looking at your pics again.. I think I would report not by much only going up a couple of sizes I think.. While you are repotting it check...
    I think I would want to read-pot so as I could check the root ball.. Vine weevil damage has crossed my mind looking at your pics again.. I think I would report not by much only going up a couple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. redfifi1717

Acer in a half barrel?

Thanks for all that info folks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Victoria Plum

Acer help

:) Thanks everyone.My brother's read all your replies and he's going to pot them on as suggested.
    :) Thanks everyone.My brother's read all your replies and he's going to pot them on as suggested.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Nicholas Gibbons

Acer disease

A pic would help :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. daitheplant

Acer Conundrum

Is that something growing from the rootstock? Pics are difficult to decipher ) It might also be a case of two different scions having been grafted onto the same rootstock. I have heard of...
    Is that something growing from the rootstock? Pics are difficult to decipher ) It might also be a case of two different scions having been grafted onto the same rootstock. I have heard of experiments in that direction :)
    Is that something growing from the rootstock? Pics are difficult to decipher ) It might also be a case of two different scions having been grafted onto the same rootstock. I have heard of experiments in that direction :)
    Is that something growing from the rootstock? Pics are difficult to decipher ) It might also be a case of two different scions having been grafted onto the same rootstock. I have heard of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. clyde

acer care

Many thanks for that too, whis4ey. I will note that. It's just a lovely tree / shrub which has never needed any care from me, and always looks good.
    Many thanks for that too, whis4ey. I will note that. It's just a lovely tree / shrub which has never needed any care from me, and always looks good.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. HarryS

Acer Alarm !!

Your site is perfect for acer. Morning sun and sheltered. Remember they do come from a coolish place .. A dead branch doesn't mean the death of the plant. I had one with a dead branch in the...
    Your site is perfect for acer. Morning sun and sheltered. Remember they do come from a coolish place .. A dead branch doesn't mean the death of the plant. I had one with a dead branch in the middle and it was alive until I removed it as it was in the wrong place and I have airlayered quite a...
    Your site is perfect for acer. Morning sun and sheltered. Remember they do come from a coolish place .. A dead branch doesn't mean the death of the plant. I had one with a dead branch in the middle and it was alive until I removed it as it was in...
    Your site is perfect for acer. Morning sun and sheltered. Remember they do come from a coolish place .. A dead branch doesn't mean the death of the plant. I had one with a dead branch in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. flowerpotty

acer palmatum atropurpea

`potty, Ive had acer pal.diss.atro in a pot for about 10 years. It gets fed about once a year, if I remember, and it is thriving. The person who will really know, though is Whis4ey.
    `potty, Ive had acer pal.diss.atro in a pot for about 10 years. It gets fed about once a year, if I remember, and it is thriving. The person who will really know, though is Whis4ey.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ricky101

Acer Orange Dream

Hi,We purchased a couple of these nice looking little Acers from B&M but not sure how best to grow them.Each plant has two main shoots which have been deliberately stopped to give a good...
    Hi,We purchased a couple of these nice looking little Acers from B&M but not sure how best to grow them.Each plant has two main shoots which have been deliberately stopped to give a good looking canopy on such a young plant.However many larger Acers we have seen are single stemmed, so...
    Hi,We purchased a couple of these nice looking little Acers from B&M but not sure how best to grow them.Each plant has two main shoots which have been deliberately stopped to give a good looking canopy on such a young plant.However many...
    Hi,We purchased a couple of these nice looking little Acers from B&M but not sure how best to grow them.Each plant has two main shoots which have been deliberately stopped to give a good...
    IMG_20220429_143140671_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Doghouse Riley

Acer

They can grow quite big if they aren't pruned. We've had this one over thirty years. The roots are beginning to lift the coping on our little frog pond, but I'm not bothered.
    They can grow quite big if they aren't pruned. We've had this one over thirty years. The roots are beginning to lift the coping on our little frog pond, but I'm not bothered.
    P1010308.JPG P1000538.JPG P1000562.JPG P1000620.JPG P1000757.JPG P1000674.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Guy1975

acer

The choice is yours but the best time to move a tree is late autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Fat Controller

Accidental 'bonsai' fuchsia

Taking a cutting whilst the branch / cutting is still connected to the plant. Normal layering is by bending a branch down to the ground and chucking some dirt over it and waiting until it has...
    Taking a cutting whilst the branch / cutting is still connected to the plant. Normal layering is by bending a branch down to the ground and chucking some dirt over it and waiting until it has rooted. Usually you make a sloping cut about half way through and then hold the "slit" open (with a...
    Taking a cutting whilst the branch / cutting is still connected to the plant. Normal layering is by bending a branch down to the ground and chucking some dirt over it and waiting until it has rooted. Usually you make a sloping cut about half...
    Taking a cutting whilst the branch / cutting is still connected to the plant. Normal layering is by bending a branch down to the ground and chucking some dirt over it and waiting until it has...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lorea

Accent discrimination in the plant world

Can't deny it's an interesting concept.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice