1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. SteveW

Mina lobata

mine are all entangled with all my Clematis on posts...and flowering too.Ladybird
    mine are all entangled with all my Clematis on posts...and flowering too.Ladybird
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. willsgarden

Winter flowering plants

Hiyathanks for that message, i will get onto researching them names you mentioned.thanks againanyone else got ideas?Will
    Hiyathanks for that message, i will get onto researching them names you mentioned.thanks againanyone else got ideas?Will
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. aqua

Birmingham Gardens

Used to live in Brum, and we had whirlwinds, windspouts that used to redistribute patio furniture and small shrubs!
    Used to live in Brum, and we had whirlwinds, windspouts that used to redistribute patio furniture and small shrubs!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. MrsMacGyver

yellow lavatera?

Tinkerbell, sister Sue will gather seeds later on, she's much better at things like that than me, and my greenhouse won't be available until the late spring. Its moving house - to the other side...
    Tinkerbell, sister Sue will gather seeds later on, she's much better at things like that than me, and my greenhouse won't be available until the late spring. Its moving house - to the other side of the garden, away from marauding kids :mad:
    Tinkerbell, sister Sue will gather seeds later on, she's much better at things like that than me, and my greenhouse won't be available until the late spring. Its moving house - to the other side of the garden, away from marauding kids :mad:
    Tinkerbell, sister Sue will gather seeds later on, she's much better at things like that than me, and my greenhouse won't be available until the late spring. Its moving house - to the other side...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. brazil

ophiopogon

i'll have a look now cheers
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sewchic

Camellias

Fingers will be crossed in spring, but hopefully you may seem some fat flower buds forming before then. If not, then patience - they are worth waiting for.
    Fingers will be crossed in spring, but hopefully you may seem some fat flower buds forming before then. If not, then patience - they are worth waiting for.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Charlie

Gardenia - What is happening - Help!

Hi Charlie, I had a google & found these two sites. They are american but from what they are saying it is the humidity. Have a read & see what you think,...
    Hi Charlie, I had a google & found these two sites. They are american but from what they are saying it is the humidity. Have a read & see what you think, http://www.bachmans.com/retail/tipsheets/indoor_plants/Gardenias.cfm http://www.molbaks.com/infopages/gardenia.pdf It would seam you can...
    Hi Charlie, I had a google & found these two sites. They are american but from what they are saying it is the humidity. Have a read & see what you think, http://www.bachmans.com/retail/tipsheets/indoor_plants/Gardenias.cfm...
    Hi Charlie, I had a google & found these two sites. They are american but from what they are saying it is the humidity. Have a read & see what you think,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Paladin

Laburnum seeds

Another way is to fill a clay pot with sand, plant them in that in late autumn and leave them outside all winter. This worked for me when growing acer and wild rose seeds.I say a clay pot...
    Another way is to fill a clay pot with sand, plant them in that in late autumn and leave them outside all winter. This worked for me when growing acer and wild rose seeds.I say a clay pot because it is less likely to be blown over, and I say sand to avoid waterlogging, and with fewer...
    Another way is to fill a clay pot with sand, plant them in that in late autumn and leave them outside all winter. This worked for me when growing acer and wild rose seeds.I say a clay pot because it is less likely to be blown over, and I say...
    Another way is to fill a clay pot with sand, plant them in that in late autumn and leave them outside all winter. This worked for me when growing acer and wild rose seeds.I say a clay pot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Peny

Privet

Either "root out" or a brush killer should do the trick, if applied to newly cut surface.
    Either "root out" or a brush killer should do the trick, if applied to newly cut surface.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. nokd

novice...help!!!

Hi nokd, the datura will need to be taken in before the first frost, likewise the fuschias. Lipstick plant is probably a house plant anyway and wont survive frost. Sufinia petunias are treated...
    Hi nokd, the datura will need to be taken in before the first frost, likewise the fuschias. Lipstick plant is probably a house plant anyway and wont survive frost. Sufinia petunias are treated as annuals and die in the winter so leave them out. As for the rhodos, well really need to know...
    Hi nokd, the datura will need to be taken in before the first frost, likewise the fuschias. Lipstick plant is probably a house plant anyway and wont survive frost. Sufinia petunias are treated as annuals and die in the winter so leave them...
    Hi nokd, the datura will need to be taken in before the first frost, likewise the fuschias. Lipstick plant is probably a house plant anyway and wont survive frost. Sufinia petunias are treated...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Hannah

Geraniums

Must be the zonal type then, not hardy, but flower all Summer, but need deadheading to encourage more flowering....Rust ? never heard of being prone to...only the Butterfly like them , then get...
    Must be the zonal type then, not hardy, but flower all Summer, but need deadheading to encourage more flowering....Rust ? never heard of being prone to...only the Butterfly like them , then get caterpillars after... eat all the leaves...if you let them. Ladybird
    Must be the zonal type then, not hardy, but flower all Summer, but need deadheading to encourage more flowering....Rust ? never heard of being prone to...only the Butterfly like them , then get caterpillars after... eat all the leaves...if you...
    Must be the zonal type then, not hardy, but flower all Summer, but need deadheading to encourage more flowering....Rust ? never heard of being prone to...only the Butterfly like them , then get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Hannah

A Couple of Questions...

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear did I?! I meant, suggestions for how to get decent crops in tubs. I've given everything a feed of potash stuff which seems to have done something - I've got...
    Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear did I?! I meant, suggestions for how to get decent crops in tubs. I've given everything a feed of potash stuff which seems to have done something - I've got what look like buds on my butternut squash which I wasn't expecting for another month yet, and my...
    Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear did I?! I meant, suggestions for how to get decent crops in tubs. I've given everything a feed of potash stuff which seems to have done something - I've got what look like buds on my butternut squash which I...
    Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear did I?! I meant, suggestions for how to get decent crops in tubs. I've given everything a feed of potash stuff which seems to have done something - I've got...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. jay

What can I grow in a secluded spot?

Hi,Maybe a hydrangea peteolaris - they don't mind the shade and make a good climber - not particularly fast growing though. Or a passiflora - now they do grow like mad once established. Cheers Rob
    Hi,Maybe a hydrangea peteolaris - they don't mind the shade and make a good climber - not particularly fast growing though. Or a passiflora - now they do grow like mad once established. Cheers Rob
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PeterS

Large pots - what plants?

Many thanks for your help. My objective was really to put some of my existing plants into pots. But I think I am going to have to go out and try some of those grasses as well.
    Many thanks for your help. My objective was really to put some of my existing plants into pots. But I think I am going to have to go out and try some of those grasses as well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ukwoody

hedging shrub in poor conditions?

If you want to try and establish the privet back, try layering it. This means cutting into ( very gently ) a small portion of a long stem at the leafy end on the underside of it with a pruning...
    If you want to try and establish the privet back, try layering it. This means cutting into ( very gently ) a small portion of a long stem at the leafy end on the underside of it with a pruning knife. Then bend the stem over towards your Leylandii and and place the cut area onto the soil and peg...
    If you want to try and establish the privet back, try layering it. This means cutting into ( very gently ) a small portion of a long stem at the leafy end on the underside of it with a pruning knife. Then bend the stem over towards your Leylandii...
    If you want to try and establish the privet back, try layering it. This means cutting into ( very gently ) a small portion of a long stem at the leafy end on the underside of it with a pruning...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. soop

water crystals - polymer gel - hydrogel

LBS Horticulture Colne Lancs email supply Fertile Water Granules. 1KG 11.75 pounds 5Kg 44.15pounds + VAT and small order charge under 100.00 pounds. I have used it in the past but not this...
    LBS Horticulture Colne Lancs email supply Fertile Water Granules. 1KG 11.75 pounds 5Kg 44.15pounds + VAT and small order charge under 100.00 pounds. I have used it in the past but not this particular brand and maybe I did not put enough in per hanging basket. At the end of the season there was...
    LBS Horticulture Colne Lancs email supply Fertile Water Granules. 1KG 11.75 pounds 5Kg 44.15pounds + VAT and small order charge under 100.00 pounds. I have used it in the past but not this particular brand and maybe I did not put enough in per...
    LBS Horticulture Colne Lancs email supply Fertile Water Granules. 1KG 11.75 pounds 5Kg 44.15pounds + VAT and small order charge under 100.00 pounds. I have used it in the past but not this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. fiwi

Do you know a shrub with red foliage?

How about Photinia "Red Robin". Quite a sturdy shrub bearing red tips to the foliage in Summer. Very attractive and noticeable.Will withstand a bit of dryness and shade
    How about Photinia "Red Robin". Quite a sturdy shrub bearing red tips to the foliage in Summer. Very attractive and noticeable.Will withstand a bit of dryness and shade
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ellgee

Which evergreen shrubs for a windy spot?

bamboos are excellent but not black bamboo will not tolerate exposed areas
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Charlie

Azalea - After flowering

If you have removed the husks then you need to do a very light prune on the extension growth of this year just to reshape and balance the plant ready for next year. Keep it on the dry side not too...
    If you have removed the husks then you need to do a very light prune on the extension growth of this year just to reshape and balance the plant ready for next year. Keep it on the dry side not too much water and give a feed of Phostrogen for a month. Bring into a cool conservatory before frosts...
    If you have removed the husks then you need to do a very light prune on the extension growth of this year just to reshape and balance the plant ready for next year. Keep it on the dry side not too much water and give a feed of Phostrogen for a...
    If you have removed the husks then you need to do a very light prune on the extension growth of this year just to reshape and balance the plant ready for next year. Keep it on the dry side not too...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Webmaster

Bottle brush (Callistemon)

Nice flower,Rich. Dont mention RED SPIDER its a killer as far as I'm conserned.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice