Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. shoestring gardener

COMMUNAL GRASS AREA RENOVATION

It will be difficult to eradicate the weeds completely, as seed can lie in the ground for years before germinating. Preparation of the ground will have disturbed them and watering of course, ...
    It will be difficult to eradicate the weeds completely, as seed can lie in the ground for years before germinating. Preparation of the ground will have disturbed them and watering of course, helps them grow.
    It will be difficult to eradicate the weeds completely, as seed can lie in the ground for years before germinating. Preparation of the ground will have disturbed them and watering of course, helps them grow.
    It will be difficult to eradicate the weeds completely, as seed can lie in the ground for years before germinating. Preparation of the ground will have disturbed them and watering of course, ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Ruari

Moss

An old gardener with a better garden than mine once saw me struggling to eradicate moss from my lawn. He told me to put sharp sand on then rake it. So I did. The moss just lifted right out no bother.
    An old gardener with a better garden than mine once saw me struggling to eradicate moss from my lawn. He told me to put sharp sand on then rake it. So I did. The moss just lifted right out no bother.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. makem

Replacing pea shingle with new lawn

Be prepared for the rotovator to bounce! If you can, it might be an idea to go over the area with a garden fork at 12" / 30cm spacings too. Just stick it in as far as it will go. This will help...
    Be prepared for the rotovator to bounce! If you can, it might be an idea to go over the area with a garden fork at 12" / 30cm spacings too. Just stick it in as far as it will go. This will help with drainage if there's a pan of compacted soil that the rotovator doesn't reach.
    Be prepared for the rotovator to bounce! If you can, it might be an idea to go over the area with a garden fork at 12" / 30cm spacings too. Just stick it in as far as it will go. This will help with drainage if there's a pan of compacted soil...
    Be prepared for the rotovator to bounce! If you can, it might be an idea to go over the area with a garden fork at 12" / 30cm spacings too. Just stick it in as far as it will go. This will help...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Herts

Lawn feed on laurel hedge

that’s great news. It’s much easier once you work it out as above. All you need to do now is work out how best to apply it and a knapsack would insure accurate coverage and easier as you can now...
    that’s great news. It’s much easier once you work it out as above. All you need to do now is work out how best to apply it and a knapsack would insure accurate coverage and easier as you can now work out the flow rates/ width of spread and speed of walk to cover a set distance.width of nozzle...
    that’s great news. It’s much easier once you work it out as above. All you need to do now is work out how best to apply it and a knapsack would insure accurate coverage and easier as you can now work out the flow rates/ width of spread and speed...
    that’s great news. It’s much easier once you work it out as above. All you need to do now is work out how best to apply it and a knapsack would insure accurate coverage and easier as you can now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. BenMunro

Dandelion nightmare!

This is not a Dandelion but a Daisy story. I used to use a selective weedkiller on our rear grass and it was weed-free. My neighbour's, who only ever cut his grass, was a mass of Daisies. My...
    This is not a Dandelion but a Daisy story. I used to use a selective weedkiller on our rear grass and it was weed-free. My neighbour's, who only ever cut his grass, was a mass of Daisies. My preschool daughter would play for hours on his "Daisy grass", making Daisy chains and just picking the...
    This is not a Dandelion but a Daisy story. I used to use a selective weedkiller on our rear grass and it was weed-free. My neighbour's, who only ever cut his grass, was a mass of Daisies. My preschool daughter would play for hours on his "Daisy...
    This is not a Dandelion but a Daisy story. I used to use a selective weedkiller on our rear grass and it was weed-free. My neighbour's, who only ever cut his grass, was a mass of Daisies. My...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. noisette47

A question for LizThePot?

Hello both, just catching up with this! LTP you're a star! Primo Maxx ii is available here and has to be the solution (combined with re-cultivation and re-sowing of the worst-affected strip in...
    Hello both, just catching up with this! LTP you're a star! Primo Maxx ii is available here and has to be the solution (combined with re-cultivation and re-sowing of the worst-affected strip in October). Many, many thanks :)
    Hello both, just catching up with this! LTP you're a star! Primo Maxx ii is available here and has to be the solution (combined with re-cultivation and re-sowing of the worst-affected strip in October). Many, many thanks :)
    Hello both, just catching up with this! LTP you're a star! Primo Maxx ii is available here and has to be the solution (combined with re-cultivation and re-sowing of the worst-affected strip in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Novice stevo

Lawn dying

liming reduces acidity but when liming you don’t want to over apply. It’s why it’s best to have a gentle approach or take soil samples.
    liming reduces acidity but when liming you don’t want to over apply. It’s why it’s best to have a gentle approach or take soil samples.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Green Dweller Beloved

Lawn Weed Identification please

MURDERERS!! Lol.This takes me back to my childhood. I was always fascinated with the sycamore tree "helicopters". I used to take them home and I would grow them in pots. We lived on a...
    MURDERERS!! Lol.This takes me back to my childhood. I was always fascinated with the sycamore tree "helicopters". I used to take them home and I would grow them in pots. We lived on a smallholding which had about 6 acres with it.Once the seedlings outgrew the pots, which was soon, I planted...
    MURDERERS!! Lol.This takes me back to my childhood. I was always fascinated with the sycamore tree "helicopters". I used to take them home and I would grow them in pots. We lived on a smallholding which had about 6 acres with it.Once the...
    MURDERERS!! Lol.This takes me back to my childhood. I was always fascinated with the sycamore tree "helicopters". I used to take them home and I would grow them in pots. We lived on a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jblakes

What to do with this?

Lots of great info. Well done everyone
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ascoyne

From patio to lawn - on clay.

That is a very interesting idea Pete. I will get my thinking cap on.Thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. trevor.biggins

Lawn fertiliser that wont hurt my feathered and furry garden friends?

That’s a slow release so 50% will do very little. With slow release it’s always best to apply at correct rates. Straight fertilisers can be adjusted but the small amount you applied will do next...
    That’s a slow release so 50% will do very little. With slow release it’s always best to apply at correct rates. Straight fertilisers can be adjusted but the small amount you applied will do next to nothing.timing of application would have been before we had a cold spell and well before due to...
    That’s a slow release so 50% will do very little. With slow release it’s always best to apply at correct rates. Straight fertilisers can be adjusted but the small amount you applied will do next to nothing.timing of application would have been...
    That’s a slow release so 50% will do very little. With slow release it’s always best to apply at correct rates. Straight fertilisers can be adjusted but the small amount you applied will do next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. hi2u_uk

Chamomile seeds didnt sprout - time to move on ???

Ah thought maybe you had sown last year, give them a chance, they might germinate next spring when the soil warms up.
    Ah thought maybe you had sown last year, give them a chance, they might germinate next spring when the soil warms up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Furyp3

Newly rolled lawn

You want a nice little blower but the grass needs a little cut too. Not only will the leaves damage the turf they also promote worms. There are only a few worms that produce casts but casts are a...
    You want a nice little blower but the grass needs a little cut too. Not only will the leaves damage the turf they also promote worms. There are only a few worms that produce casts but casts are a messy affair and they tend to make the turf messy.
    You want a nice little blower but the grass needs a little cut too. Not only will the leaves damage the turf they also promote worms. There are only a few worms that produce casts but casts are a messy affair and they tend to make the turf messy.
    You want a nice little blower but the grass needs a little cut too. Not only will the leaves damage the turf they also promote worms. There are only a few worms that produce casts but casts are a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. RichGDN

Gardener recommending putting lawn on a "membrane" is this right?

not at the golf club I’m at. Everything is done by the book and every record is kept. If a club does practice that then everything else will be of poor standard. If you have concerns about safety...
    not at the golf club I’m at. Everything is done by the book and every record is kept. If a club does practice that then everything else will be of poor standard. If you have concerns about safety then HSE are the ones to contact.personally on a public forum it’s not my job to criticise or...
    not at the golf club I’m at. Everything is done by the book and every record is kept. If a club does practice that then everything else will be of poor standard. If you have concerns about safety then HSE are the ones to contact.personally on...
    not at the golf club I’m at. Everything is done by the book and every record is kept. If a club does practice that then everything else will be of poor standard. If you have concerns about safety...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Steven Belcher

Overseeding disaster that needs fixing fast

I cut it shorter as it was flopping over a lot. Maybe the issue is the grass is wetter at the front as there is less sun. my mower tear at the grass more. i get a clean cut in the back. Also i...
    I cut it shorter as it was flopping over a lot. Maybe the issue is the grass is wetter at the front as there is less sun. my mower tear at the grass more. i get a clean cut in the back. Also i watered the the same. the back looks better than it did before, apart from the hundreds of worm casts...
    I cut it shorter as it was flopping over a lot. Maybe the issue is the grass is wetter at the front as there is less sun. my mower tear at the grass more. i get a clean cut in the back. Also i watered the the same. the back looks better than it...
    I cut it shorter as it was flopping over a lot. Maybe the issue is the grass is wetter at the front as there is less sun. my mower tear at the grass more. i get a clean cut in the back. Also i...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. LawnAndOrder

Has anyone had this experience with Topdressing?

Thank you, that’s a very good and not often made point offering an easy way to grow deeper, stronger roots.
    Thank you, that’s a very good and not often made point offering an easy way to grow deeper, stronger roots.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. antony5378

New Turf Quality

Always hard with turf as we get good and bad years. Was it a local supplier?
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. TK1

New Lawn deep, deep in the clay.

Lots of surface water drainage goes into the sewers. Which is why Southern Water is always being fined for pouring thousands of tons of sewage straight into the sea. And then they say we have a...
    Lots of surface water drainage goes into the sewers. Which is why Southern Water is always being fined for pouring thousands of tons of sewage straight into the sea. And then they say we have a water shortage. Sorry slightly off topic.
    Lots of surface water drainage goes into the sewers. Which is why Southern Water is always being fined for pouring thousands of tons of sewage straight into the sea. And then they say we have a water shortage. Sorry slightly off topic.
    Lots of surface water drainage goes into the sewers. Which is why Southern Water is always being fined for pouring thousands of tons of sewage straight into the sea. And then they say we have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. erskine

Crows Ruining Lawn

There’s no chemical available for domestic use for grubs and while covering the ground works to a degree it’s not a cure. There are some experimental treatments but as yet not fully approved for...
    There’s no chemical available for domestic use for grubs and while covering the ground works to a degree it’s not a cure. There are some experimental treatments but as yet not fully approved for leatherjackets but these are designed to not to kill but to get the larvae up to the surface. I...
    There’s no chemical available for domestic use for grubs and while covering the ground works to a degree it’s not a cure. There are some experimental treatments but as yet not fully approved for leatherjackets but these are designed to not to...
    There’s no chemical available for domestic use for grubs and while covering the ground works to a degree it’s not a cure. There are some experimental treatments but as yet not fully approved for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ChrisWales

Cordless mowers with a roller

It looks to have a lightweight plastic roller so probably a bit useless. It depends if you buy it with batteries it comes with a roller, without batteries no roller, an odd way to market it.
    It looks to have a lightweight plastic roller so probably a bit useless. It depends if you buy it with batteries it comes with a roller, without batteries no roller, an odd way to market it.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice