1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. scatz

Replacing existing lawn, help please?

Simple error when typing.....30ft by 30ft [5 6ft fence panels down and 5 6ft panels across] the perfect square. Without setting up a line I can only guestimate the drop but if I stood at the...
    Simple error when typing.....30ft by 30ft [5 6ft fence panels down and 5 6ft panels across] the perfect square. Without setting up a line I can only guestimate the drop but if I stood at the bottom corner and looked at a 45° angle it would almost certainly be a parallelogram :whistle: Oh, and I can't...
    Simple error when typing.....30ft by 30ft [5 6ft fence panels down and 5 6ft panels across] the perfect square. Without setting up a line I can only guestimate the drop but if I stood at the bottom corner and looked at a 45° angle it would...
    Simple error when typing.....30ft by 30ft [5 6ft fence panels down and 5 6ft panels across] the perfect square. Without setting up a line I can only guestimate the drop but if I stood at the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sally

Plantex Fabric under turf.

I have experimented with a woven weed control fabric under turf with little or no soil on top of the mat; there was a problem with drying out to start with but the grass then rooted through the...
    I have experimented with a woven weed control fabric under turf with little or no soil on top of the mat; there was a problem with drying out to start with but the grass then rooted through the mat & established as normal. There is the risk of some tough old weeds pushing through, but that's a...
    I have experimented with a woven weed control fabric under turf with little or no soil on top of the mat; there was a problem with drying out to start with but the grass then rooted through the mat & established as normal. There is the risk of...
    I have experimented with a woven weed control fabric under turf with little or no soil on top of the mat; there was a problem with drying out to start with but the grass then rooted through the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Paul Haslam

Laying a Lawn in November?

Yah, that would be most people I reckon - if the lawn needs creating then ... it needs creating! For a "repair", or a "round the back", job it might be possible to wait until next Autumn, and if...
    Yah, that would be most people I reckon - if the lawn needs creating then ... it needs creating! For a "repair", or a "round the back", job it might be possible to wait until next Autumn, and if its possible to wait then I think that is best. But 99% of the "I need a new lawn" jobs are going to...
    Yah, that would be most people I reckon - if the lawn needs creating then ... it needs creating! For a "repair", or a "round the back", job it might be possible to wait until next Autumn, and if its possible to wait then I think that is best....
    Yah, that would be most people I reckon - if the lawn needs creating then ... it needs creating! For a "repair", or a "round the back", job it might be possible to wait until next Autumn, and if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. slimzee

Leveling dip in the lawn

Totally going to do this H shape! I was about to post asking for advice then saw this, so thank you! Although the dip I need to raise is probably 1m+ circular :doh:
    Totally going to do this H shape! I was about to post asking for advice then saw this, so thank you! Although the dip I need to raise is probably 1m+ circular :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. MarkS

Tiny egg clusters on lawn???

Sypmtamatic of the wet summer weve had.For a few really good lawns I look after I ocasionally spray with chipco green (turf fungicide) to gaurd against this sort of thing and red thred etc.
    Sypmtamatic of the wet summer weve had.For a few really good lawns I look after I ocasionally spray with chipco green (turf fungicide) to gaurd against this sort of thing and red thred etc.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Ben Emms

Help needed. New turf problem.

The usual problem with hover mowers is IF the turf is not properly rooted the hovercraft effect can suck the turf up and then the blade scalps it. You'd know if that had happened! so I don't...
    The usual problem with hover mowers is IF the turf is not properly rooted the hovercraft effect can suck the turf up and then the blade scalps it. You'd know if that had happened! so I don't think that's a problem. May not be ideal, but if that's the mower you have then it should be OK (if you...
    The usual problem with hover mowers is IF the turf is not properly rooted the hovercraft effect can suck the turf up and then the blade scalps it. You'd know if that had happened! so I don't think that's a problem. May not be ideal, but if...
    The usual problem with hover mowers is IF the turf is not properly rooted the hovercraft effect can suck the turf up and then the blade scalps it. You'd know if that had happened! so I don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ivanol

New lawn over hardcore

I'm resurecting an old thread, but thought it would be good to update as these things take time.A year down the line we're very glad we went to the hassle of getting the hardcore dug out....
    I'm resurecting an old thread, but thought it would be good to update as these things take time.A year down the line we're very glad we went to the hassle of getting the hardcore dug out. Generally the lawn looks great, but the areas at the very edge where the soil depth was a bit lower have...
    I'm resurecting an old thread, but thought it would be good to update as these things take time.A year down the line we're very glad we went to the hassle of getting the hardcore dug out. Generally the lawn looks great, but the areas at the...
    I'm resurecting an old thread, but thought it would be good to update as these things take time.A year down the line we're very glad we went to the hassle of getting the hardcore dug out....
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Lantana

Stop, bring back my grass seed!

Dont' worry about the birds Lantana, they'll fly off the extra weight. :heehee: Perhaps now that the ants are reeling around with huge stomachs you can re-sow more grass seed and hope it will sprout...
    Dont' worry about the birds Lantana, they'll fly off the extra weight. :heehee: Perhaps now that the ants are reeling around with huge stomachs you can re-sow more grass seed and hope it will sprout before they are hungry again. :)
    Dont' worry about the birds Lantana, they'll fly off the extra weight. :heehee: Perhaps now that the ants are reeling around with huge stomachs you can re-sow more grass seed and hope it will sprout before they are hungry again. :)
    Dont' worry about the birds Lantana, they'll fly off the extra weight. :heehee: Perhaps now that the ants are reeling around with huge stomachs you can re-sow more grass seed and hope it will sprout...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. MatW

New lawn from seed - advice needed please

Thanks again. I tried the ladder thing (weighted with large rocks) and it worked well. So far birds haven't shown any interest. Watering shouldn't be a problem given the rain, hail, snow...
    Thanks again. I tried the ladder thing (weighted with large rocks) and it worked well. So far birds haven't shown any interest. Watering shouldn't be a problem given the rain, hail, snow combination we've just had. Hosepipe ban also not a worry as I'm in Scotland. Now we wait...
    Thanks again. I tried the ladder thing (weighted with large rocks) and it worked well. So far birds haven't shown any interest. Watering shouldn't be a problem given the rain, hail, snow combination we've just had. Hosepipe ban also not a worry...
    Thanks again. I tried the ladder thing (weighted with large rocks) and it worked well. So far birds haven't shown any interest. Watering shouldn't be a problem given the rain, hail, snow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Daniel

A basic grass question

Last time I used weed and feed I had a lawn of dandelions :huh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. chris_elevate

Calibrate - Scotts EvenGreen Drop Spreader

That line looks about right and my spreader is about in line with that line on number 6. Different fertilisers require different settings so for example MO Bacter requires a much higher setting...
    That line looks about right and my spreader is about in line with that line on number 6. Different fertilisers require different settings so for example MO Bacter requires a much higher setting than say the renovator pro due to the granular size. The granules are pushed out by the internal...
    That line looks about right and my spreader is about in line with that line on number 6. Different fertilisers require different settings so for example MO Bacter requires a much higher setting than say the renovator pro due to the granular...
    That line looks about right and my spreader is about in line with that line on number 6. Different fertilisers require different settings so for example MO Bacter requires a much higher setting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. intel

Lawn Aerator - Which Is Better?

I think if I left plugs of soil all over the lawn, the missus would be pretty displeased when lad and I come in the house with them stuck to our shoes and trail them all over.
    I think if I left plugs of soil all over the lawn, the missus would be pretty displeased when lad and I come in the house with them stuck to our shoes and trail them all over.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. lazy-gardener

where shall i put dug up turf?

Lazy-Gardiner, I put all my garden waste in black bin bags, with some water and a few holes, to compost. As you say you can lob them into odd corners and forget them.They are easy to handle,...
    Lazy-Gardiner, I put all my garden waste in black bin bags, with some water and a few holes, to compost. As you say you can lob them into odd corners and forget them.They are easy to handle, and you can have as many as you like. I thought of buying a cheap council Darlek, but the problem is...
    Lazy-Gardiner, I put all my garden waste in black bin bags, with some water and a few holes, to compost. As you say you can lob them into odd corners and forget them.They are easy to handle, and you can have as many as you like. I thought of...
    Lazy-Gardiner, I put all my garden waste in black bin bags, with some water and a few holes, to compost. As you say you can lob them into odd corners and forget them.They are easy to handle,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. LCH

Oval lawn

Back to school? Nothing could be that bad ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. sevenoaksgardener

Laying turf on rubble?

astroturf!!and plenty of ointment for junior's knees!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. compost maker

Are lawn edging strips any good?

I'm too mean to have any edging material - I bought some plastic once and the mower chewed it up in no time at all ...... every couple of years I cut the "turf" at the edge, move it forwards a...
    I'm too mean to have any edging material - I bought some plastic once and the mower chewed it up in no time at all ...... every couple of years I cut the "turf" at the edge, move it forwards a couple of inches (i.e. OVER the path), then use a board to re-cut a dead-straight edge, and all the...
    I'm too mean to have any edging material - I bought some plastic once and the mower chewed it up in no time at all ...... every couple of years I cut the "turf" at the edge, move it forwards a couple of inches (i.e. OVER the path), then use a...
    I'm too mean to have any edging material - I bought some plastic once and the mower chewed it up in no time at all ...... every couple of years I cut the "turf" at the edge, move it forwards a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. dortmunder

Will existing grass grow through layer of topsoil?

Actually, he's also a friend who took advice from another gardener before starting. They must both be rubbish gardeners...Thanks for the replies.
    Actually, he's also a friend who took advice from another gardener before starting. They must both be rubbish gardeners...Thanks for the replies.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. alexmiles

My lawns full of weeds.

Alex, if you`ve not had rain since treating the lawn then give it a good soaking. You need the weeds actively growing for the stuff to work.:gnthb:
    Alex, if you`ve not had rain since treating the lawn then give it a good soaking. You need the weeds actively growing for the stuff to work.:gnthb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. The Wizard

Problems after overseeding

Thanks KrisThis constant damp conditions aren't making it easy. I could do with some dry weather to let the soil dry out.
    Thanks KrisThis constant damp conditions aren't making it easy. I could do with some dry weather to let the soil dry out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. hoofy

Scarifying and patch magic.

I would normally say it’s easier to stay with Evergreen products as you will have the settings for your spreader. They have changed a bit though and while they do a fert only it’s a high N which...
    I would normally say it’s easier to stay with Evergreen products as you will have the settings for your spreader. They have changed a bit though and while they do a fert only it’s a high N which I’m not keen on as it creates flush growth which can create issues. As it’s still early and as...
    I would normally say it’s easier to stay with Evergreen products as you will have the settings for your spreader. They have changed a bit though and while they do a fert only it’s a high N which I’m not keen on as it creates flush growth which...
    I would normally say it’s easier to stay with Evergreen products as you will have the settings for your spreader. They have changed a bit though and while they do a fert only it’s a high N which...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice