1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. devongardener

chickens

I agree, chickens are not that difficult to look after - a secure, dry and draught free place to sleep, a secure run to roam and scratch and food and water.
    I agree, chickens are not that difficult to look after - a secure, dry and draught free place to sleep, a secure run to roam and scratch and food and water.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. clueless1

Who keeps chickens?

i keep chooks - two little colombian and one very very old ex batmy neighbours love getting a few very very fresh eggsloop0y
    i keep chooks - two little colombian and one very very old ex batmy neighbours love getting a few very very fresh eggsloop0y
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sussexgardener

Anyone want chickens?

Thank you for your kind words :)Im glad it made you rethink, i dont mean that to sound bad but it really can cost alot and isnt easy (and helps if you have friends with farms! :heehee:)From...
    Thank you for your kind words :)Im glad it made you rethink, i dont mean that to sound bad but it really can cost alot and isnt easy (and helps if you have friends with farms! :heehee:)From personal experience i found owls one of the hardest BOP's to train aswell.As i said previously, if...
    Thank you for your kind words :)Im glad it made you rethink, i dont mean that to sound bad but it really can cost alot and isnt easy (and helps if you have friends with farms! :heehee:)From personal experience i found owls one of the hardest BOP's...
    Thank you for your kind words :)Im glad it made you rethink, i dont mean that to sound bad but it really can cost alot and isnt easy (and helps if you have friends with farms! :heehee:)From...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Sheal

Chickens!

The first possibly a Leghorn - as could the second one. But the second could also be a Welsummer (the female next to it might confirm that).If the last one has five toes, it's a Dorking!
    The first possibly a Leghorn - as could the second one. But the second could also be a Welsummer (the female next to it might confirm that).If the last one has five toes, it's a Dorking!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Owl lookalike Chicken for miraflores

Aaaah lovely chickens, hubby's quite jealous they've got more hair than him,lol.
    Aaaah lovely chickens, hubby's quite jealous they've got more hair than him,lol.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. GazSuttonUK

Keeping Chickens..

Never had a problem with cats, chickens usually win when it comes down to getting food off a cat. They have a great sense of what should be happening. YouTube - ‪2 chickens break up rabbit...
    Never had a problem with cats, chickens usually win when it comes down to getting food off a cat. They have a great sense of what should be happening. YouTube - ‪2 chickens break up rabbit fight!‬‏
    Never had a problem with cats, chickens usually win when it comes down to getting food off a cat. They have a great sense of what should be happening. YouTube - ‪2 chickens break up rabbit fight!‬‏
    Never had a problem with cats, chickens usually win when it comes down to getting food off a cat. They have a great sense of what should be happening. YouTube - ‪2 chickens break up rabbit...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. joolz68

loving duck eggs

yeah ur prob right ziggy itl prob end up looking like the opencast around here :loll: ..i do have a large patch to fill at the bottom thou which was y i was thinking ducks and it has one of those...
    yeah ur prob right ziggy itl prob end up looking like the opencast around here :loll: ..i do have a large patch to fill at the bottom thou which was y i was thinking ducks and it has one of those helicopter trees there so its mostly dead ground :mad: x
    yeah ur prob right ziggy itl prob end up looking like the opencast around here :loll: ..i do have a large patch to fill at the bottom thou which was y i was thinking ducks and it has one of those helicopter trees there so its mostly dead ground :mad: x
    yeah ur prob right ziggy itl prob end up looking like the opencast around here :loll: ..i do have a large patch to fill at the bottom thou which was y i was thinking ducks and it has one of those...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. RandyRos

Rare breed chickens

I recently asked on my local Freecycle (South Norfolk Freegle) for some fertile chickens eggs and got quite a few replies.I have kept some email addys from some of them as they have rare breed...
    I recently asked on my local Freecycle (South Norfolk Freegle) for some fertile chickens eggs and got quite a few replies.I have kept some email addys from some of them as they have rare breed chickens & they asked me to pass their email addys on to anyone who is interested in fertile eggs...
    I recently asked on my local Freecycle (South Norfolk Freegle) for some fertile chickens eggs and got quite a few replies.I have kept some email addys from some of them as they have rare breed chickens & they asked me to pass their email...
    I recently asked on my local Freecycle (South Norfolk Freegle) for some fertile chickens eggs and got quite a few replies.I have kept some email addys from some of them as they have rare breed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Plant Potty

Who keeps Chickens? how many and in what?...

Something I've always been meaning to try is a plastic strip curtain in front of an open plan nest box, which is 'supposed' to reduce the hen's desire to head for the furthest, darkest, corner.
    Something I've always been meaning to try is a plastic strip curtain in front of an open plan nest box, which is 'supposed' to reduce the hen's desire to head for the furthest, darkest, corner.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Freddy

Keeping Chickens

Hi ZiggyI've no doubt you're right, but I already have time/space restraints. Ah well, maybe some time in the future:)Cheers...Freddy.
    Hi ZiggyI've no doubt you're right, but I already have time/space restraints. Ah well, maybe some time in the future:)Cheers...Freddy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Webmaster
    Like x 6

Our new additions ....

As strange as it may seem, some feed their fish Brine shrimp enriched with Garlic ;)Gamma Brimeshrimp + Garlic - Seahorse Aquariums Ltd
    As strange as it may seem, some feed their fish Brine shrimp enriched with Garlic ;)Gamma Brimeshrimp + Garlic - Seahorse Aquariums Ltd
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. miraflores

chicken names

I'll keep meaning to check out the name of the farm (not in her family any more). Would have been in the 1970's. Also had friends who's relatives had farms there where I stayed (1980's) before...
    I'll keep meaning to check out the name of the farm (not in her family any more). Would have been in the 1970's. Also had friends who's relatives had farms there where I stayed (1980's) before meeting Mrs Scrungee, but I can't remember much about those days.We have a practice of...
    I'll keep meaning to check out the name of the farm (not in her family any more). Would have been in the 1970's. Also had friends who's relatives had farms there where I stayed (1980's) before meeting Mrs Scrungee, but I can't remember much about...
    I'll keep meaning to check out the name of the farm (not in her family any more). Would have been in the 1970's. Also had friends who's relatives had farms there where I stayed (1980's) before...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. RandyRos

Itchy Chicken

Paint it yellow and call it big bird wont have a problem then :loll::loll: Spruce
    Paint it yellow and call it big bird wont have a problem then :loll::loll: Spruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Louise

Chicken run q's

Hi Louise, yes I think that the chicken will definitely be too hot in the sun. The best protection you can give them from the heat is probably some low bushes (they would hide underneath) or...
    Hi Louise, yes I think that the chicken will definitely be too hot in the sun. The best protection you can give them from the heat is probably some low bushes (they would hide underneath) or trees. Failing that a wooden mat similar to what you use at the seaside to lie down on, butwith bigger...
    Hi Louise, yes I think that the chicken will definitely be too hot in the sun. The best protection you can give them from the heat is probably some low bushes (they would hide underneath) or trees. Failing that a wooden mat similar to what you...
    Hi Louise, yes I think that the chicken will definitely be too hot in the sun. The best protection you can give them from the heat is probably some low bushes (they would hide underneath) or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Liz W

Cheapish chicken house

Thanks. Couldn't be bothered to do a tiny on it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Trunky
    Like x 5

Looking a bit tatty!

I've never noticed one of our hens moult since we changed from purebreds to hybrid hens.Feathers can be stuck into potatoes and hung up (mock raptors) as bird scarers.
    I've never noticed one of our hens moult since we changed from purebreds to hybrid hens.Feathers can be stuck into potatoes and hung up (mock raptors) as bird scarers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Louise

what to so with chicken droppings and shavings?

Hi Louise I have the same 'problem' 13 ex-bats need a lot of sawdust and produce a lot of poop. They have started roosting out of the coop at night (why??) so I have been collecting their poop...
    Hi Louise I have the same 'problem' 13 ex-bats need a lot of sawdust and produce a lot of poop. They have started roosting out of the coop at night (why??) so I have been collecting their poop and throwing it into a newly started composter. I do have a lot of woodshavings as well so I am...
    Hi Louise I have the same 'problem' 13 ex-bats need a lot of sawdust and produce a lot of poop. They have started roosting out of the coop at night (why??) so I have been collecting their poop and throwing it into a newly started composter. ...
    Hi Louise I have the same 'problem' 13 ex-bats need a lot of sawdust and produce a lot of poop. They have started roosting out of the coop at night (why??) so I have been collecting their poop...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HYDROGEN86

My new hens are starting to lay

They are safe in the coop It's on concrete but in the day I just let them out and leave them to it. I have covered almost all gaps with chicken wire but on 3 seperate occasions I have had to knock...
    They are safe in the coop It's on concrete but in the day I just let them out and leave them to it. I have covered almost all gaps with chicken wire but on 3 seperate occasions I have had to knock on next doors and a house behind mine to ask for chickens back :heehee: I don't like the idea of caging...
    They are safe in the coop It's on concrete but in the day I just let them out and leave them to it. I have covered almost all gaps with chicken wire but on 3 seperate occasions I have had to knock on next doors and a house behind mine to ask for...
    They are safe in the coop It's on concrete but in the day I just let them out and leave them to it. I have covered almost all gaps with chicken wire but on 3 seperate occasions I have had to knock...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. lazydog

Hempcore heads up

Over the last year or so a few sites have been extolling the virtues of using hempcore for chicken runs and coops. Well it looks like they changed processors and a lot of fine fibre is getting...
    Over the last year or so a few sites have been extolling the virtues of using hempcore for chicken runs and coops. Well it looks like they changed processors and a lot of fine fibre is getting into the pack. I have spent today washing my chickens feet and removing clumps of muck from their...
    Over the last year or so a few sites have been extolling the virtues of using hempcore for chicken runs and coops. Well it looks like they changed processors and a lot of fine fibre is getting into the pack. I have spent today washing my chickens...
    Over the last year or so a few sites have been extolling the virtues of using hempcore for chicken runs and coops. Well it looks like they changed processors and a lot of fine fibre is getting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Flowerpot

Is it worth keeping Chickens?

I bet they can find all the slug grubs for you aswell:cool:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice