1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Davecl

Tree in a pot?

How very sensible! Not every ones choice but for you it sounds perfect. No rotting leaves, flowers or fruit to clean off the seating. No watering, feeding, pruning etc., to worry about so no...
    How very sensible! Not every ones choice but for you it sounds perfect. No rotting leaves, flowers or fruit to clean off the seating. No watering, feeding, pruning etc., to worry about so no guilt if the tree died from lack of care. Perfict!!
    How very sensible! Not every ones choice but for you it sounds perfect. No rotting leaves, flowers or fruit to clean off the seating. No watering, feeding, pruning etc., to worry about so no guilt if the tree died from lack of care. Perfict!!
    How very sensible! Not every ones choice but for you it sounds perfect. No rotting leaves, flowers or fruit to clean off the seating. No watering, feeding, pruning etc., to worry about so no...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. HousePlantHermit

Propergating Ivy

We bought a small leaf Ivy last year for cheap in a tiny pot, I think it's purpose was for shoving in a hanging basket. It's growing nicely in a container with a Verbina that we bought at the...
    We bought a small leaf Ivy last year for cheap in a tiny pot, I think it's purpose was for shoving in a hanging basket. It's growing nicely in a container with a Verbina that we bought at the same time. The Verbina didn't die over Winter, and seems to be doing well.When does one take...
    We bought a small leaf Ivy last year for cheap in a tiny pot, I think it's purpose was for shoving in a hanging basket. It's growing nicely in a container with a Verbina that we bought at the same time. The Verbina didn't die over Winter, and...
    We bought a small leaf Ivy last year for cheap in a tiny pot, I think it's purpose was for shoving in a hanging basket. It's growing nicely in a container with a Verbina that we bought at the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Barders

Poorly Camellia? (Rose of winter?)

Many thanks @pete I'll get some tomorrow and start giving it a feed :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Deesidequine

Moving potted plants to a previously neglected garden

I think the idea is good in general with adding new compost. But first need to understand what's the soil in your new garden. When I moved in I hurried to start planting. Now I would've first...
    I think the idea is good in general with adding new compost. But first need to understand what's the soil in your new garden. When I moved in I hurried to start planting. Now I would've first added a few m3 of good compost/soil,because I've got heavy clay there. If you have camelias,...
    I think the idea is good in general with adding new compost. But first need to understand what's the soil in your new garden. When I moved in I hurried to start planting. Now I would've first added a few m3 of good compost/soil,because I've got...
    I think the idea is good in general with adding new compost. But first need to understand what's the soil in your new garden. When I moved in I hurried to start planting. Now I would've first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. latimer

Topping up large container

Wow, thank you @flounder, that’s a very comprehensive collection! Have your Phyllostachys varieties in the ground remained well behaved or are you always on the alert to keep them under control?
    Wow, thank you @flounder, that’s a very comprehensive collection! Have your Phyllostachys varieties in the ground remained well behaved or are you always on the alert to keep them under control?
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mattyp

Growing wild flowers in a container

Thank you just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that...
    Thank you just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that and were rather peturbed about it :rolleyespink: but anyone with or without a garden can make a mini meadow in a...
    Thank you just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that and were rather peturbed about it :rolleyespink: but anyone with...
    Thank you just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. welshcake

Cleaning up after Wood Pigeons

From my experience, as I said previously, after a few months the purple stains vanish completely. Maybe your paving is different to mine. I hope you manage to find an answer.
    From my experience, as I said previously, after a few months the purple stains vanish completely. Maybe your paving is different to mine. I hope you manage to find an answer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. MJ76

Soil mix? Garden soil, Topsoil?

I'd think the most important thing is to have a suitably sized pot - ie a pretty big one, or else you'd have to keep taking it out and doing some root pruning, and keeping the top reasonably well...
    I'd think the most important thing is to have a suitably sized pot - ie a pretty big one, or else you'd have to keep taking it out and doing some root pruning, and keeping the top reasonably well trimmed.
    I'd think the most important thing is to have a suitably sized pot - ie a pretty big one, or else you'd have to keep taking it out and doing some root pruning, and keeping the top reasonably well trimmed.
    I'd think the most important thing is to have a suitably sized pot - ie a pretty big one, or else you'd have to keep taking it out and doing some root pruning, and keeping the top reasonably well...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. KarolinaW

Mulching - raised bed

If you applied 25-40mm of 'compost' in the Autumn, I think that should be sufficient for a season. Lightly rake to even surface, remove any weeds you can see and plant. Keep an eye open for any...
    If you applied 25-40mm of 'compost' in the Autumn, I think that should be sufficient for a season. Lightly rake to even surface, remove any weeds you can see and plant. Keep an eye open for any weed seedlings that appear and remove/hoe when they are small. You could use the soggy cardboard you...
    If you applied 25-40mm of 'compost' in the Autumn, I think that should be sufficient for a season. Lightly rake to even surface, remove any weeds you can see and plant. Keep an eye open for any weed seedlings that appear and remove/hoe when they...
    If you applied 25-40mm of 'compost' in the Autumn, I think that should be sufficient for a season. Lightly rake to even surface, remove any weeds you can see and plant. Keep an eye open for any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. DavidMey
    Friendly x 3

Newbie with no cluebie!

David Mey says his garden is quite small and he has a young child. It has occurred to me that is why he is thinking of growing in containers. I go along with this thought as the garden will be...
    David Mey says his garden is quite small and he has a young child. It has occurred to me that is why he is thinking of growing in containers. I go along with this thought as the garden will be the child's play area for several years, sand pit, swing, football pitch, climbing frame etc. Far...
    David Mey says his garden is quite small and he has a young child. It has occurred to me that is why he is thinking of growing in containers. I go along with this thought as the garden will be the child's play area for several years, sand pit,...
    David Mey says his garden is quite small and he has a young child. It has occurred to me that is why he is thinking of growing in containers. I go along with this thought as the garden will be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. MJ76

Japanese Maple - too far gone?

Thank you so much folks, will bear with it and hopefully it will start to look a bit more healthy. I was concerned m,ainly because one of my neighbours has one (which may be an acer not sure)...
    Thank you so much folks, will bear with it and hopefully it will start to look a bit more healthy. I was concerned m,ainly because one of my neighbours has one (which may be an acer not sure) which is wrapped in the anti frost sheeting and looks a million times better but hopefully this will...
    Thank you so much folks, will bear with it and hopefully it will start to look a bit more healthy. I was concerned m,ainly because one of my neighbours has one (which may be an acer not sure) which is wrapped in the anti frost sheeting and looks...
    Thank you so much folks, will bear with it and hopefully it will start to look a bit more healthy. I was concerned m,ainly because one of my neighbours has one (which may be an acer not sure)...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. New Irish gardener

First hedge cut

Snap @Macraignil ;)
    Snap @Macraignil ;)
    Snap @Macraignil ;)
    Snap @Macraignil ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. SBcBWIQN

Dealing with Rocky soil?

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.I have thought about clover lawns, however the downside to that location is that clover and cats doesn't mix. While it doesn't have to explicitly be grass there...
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.I have thought about clover lawns, however the downside to that location is that clover and cats doesn't mix. While it doesn't have to explicitly be grass there I'd just want something better for her than mud & rocks sort of thing.Thanks, I'll keep an eye...
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.I have thought about clover lawns, however the downside to that location is that clover and cats doesn't mix. While it doesn't have to explicitly be grass there I'd just want something better for her than mud &...
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.I have thought about clover lawns, however the downside to that location is that clover and cats doesn't mix. While it doesn't have to explicitly be grass there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Caecius

Hoses & Kitchen Sink Taps

Quite a number of years ago I used a self cutting tap, mainly due to access issues, The hole they cut is possibly about 6 mm also the bit they cut out is retained in the original 12 mm pipe.
    Quite a number of years ago I used a self cutting tap, mainly due to access issues, The hole they cut is possibly about 6 mm also the bit they cut out is retained in the original 12 mm pipe.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Bron

Morello cherry tree

See : www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/cherries/grow-your-own paragraph 5 refers to pruning.
    See : www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/cherries/grow-your-own paragraph 5 refers to pruning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Caecius

Mossy Decking on Balcony

Try it and see, cheap and easy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. TonyNewbie
    Like x 3

Another new gardener!

Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HousePlantHermit

Gardening courses

Ok, Dahlias in large pots/tubs no problem. Grow tubers (look a bit like potatoes!)which are in garden centres now. Strawberries can do well in troughs, many commercial crops now grown this way....
    Ok, Dahlias in large pots/tubs no problem. Grow tubers (look a bit like potatoes!)which are in garden centres now. Strawberries can do well in troughs, many commercial crops now grown this way. Buy plants online or watch for them at Lidl. Sunflowers are easy and offer spectacle/colour, grow from...
    Ok, Dahlias in large pots/tubs no problem. Grow tubers (look a bit like potatoes!)which are in garden centres now. Strawberries can do well in troughs, many commercial crops now grown this way. Buy plants online or watch for them at Lidl....
    Ok, Dahlias in large pots/tubs no problem. Grow tubers (look a bit like potatoes!)which are in garden centres now. Strawberries can do well in troughs, many commercial crops now grown this way....
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Tara Jane

Too late with spring bulbs?

Oh yes , thank you, I’ll do that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Paul4321

Hedge row

Thanks everyone for your input. All very helpful. Best regards, Paul
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice