1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title ↑
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Tingting44

1 year old turf....overseed/weed & feed?....

Hi there everyone, well spring is here and cant wait to get fully into the swing of gardening again :DMy turf is one year old now, and it has some wear from over the winter, i was thinking of...
    Hi there everyone, well spring is here and cant wait to get fully into the swing of gardening again :DMy turf is one year old now, and it has some wear from over the winter, i was thinking of over seeding next week along with putting down some weed and feed for the lawn at the same time, now...
    Hi there everyone, well spring is here and cant wait to get fully into the swing of gardening again :DMy turf is one year old now, and it has some wear from over the winter, i was thinking of over seeding next week along with putting down some...
    Hi there everyone, well spring is here and cant wait to get fully into the swing of gardening again :DMy turf is one year old now, and it has some wear from over the winter, i was thinking of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. AIG1996

1st Mowing of new turf

For the gaps, put some top dressing (either just topsoil, or a mix of topsoil and sand) over the lawn and brush it into the cracks with the back of a rake. That'll also level out the inevitable...
    For the gaps, put some top dressing (either just topsoil, or a mix of topsoil and sand) over the lawn and brush it into the cracks with the back of a rake. That'll also level out the inevitable lumps and bumps.Don't do it yet though - wait until the turf is fully established. August or ...
    For the gaps, put some top dressing (either just topsoil, or a mix of topsoil and sand) over the lawn and brush it into the cracks with the back of a rake. That'll also level out the inevitable lumps and bumps.Don't do it yet though - wait...
    For the gaps, put some top dressing (either just topsoil, or a mix of topsoil and sand) over the lawn and brush it into the cracks with the back of a rake. That'll also level out the inevitable...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Newgardener2020

1st post

That’s is a really nice planter. And I agree with Kristen. Just intercroP with something like radish whist waiting for beans to get going.Rusty
    That’s is a really nice planter. And I agree with Kristen. Just intercroP with something like radish whist waiting for beans to get going.Rusty
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. David E Peacock

1ST Time taking Chrysanthemum Cuttings

It's as the title says, and I am following the 'book' . . . Took the cuttings 3 weeks back, 4 cuttings to each 3" pot and pots placed in a propagator (electric with bottom heat). All looks well...
    It's as the title says, and I am following the 'book' . . . Took the cuttings 3 weeks back, 4 cuttings to each 3" pot and pots placed in a propagator (electric with bottom heat). All looks well and I took one pot at the week-end to pot them on to find only one had some root. The others showed...
    It's as the title says, and I am following the 'book' . . . Took the cuttings 3 weeks back, 4 cuttings to each 3" pot and pots placed in a propagator (electric with bottom heat). All looks well and I took one pot at the week-end to pot them on...
    It's as the title says, and I am following the 'book' . . . Took the cuttings 3 weeks back, 4 cuttings to each 3" pot and pots placed in a propagator (electric with bottom heat). All looks well...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. FlourishAnn
    Like x 3

5 tips for begginers

I totally agree on this mate...it is every one to their own because if all gardens was identical it would be a boring experience :yikes:
    I totally agree on this mate...it is every one to their own because if all gardens was identical it would be a boring experience :yikes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Fflur

72 mini plugs arrived today, I am feeling overwhelmed!

Well, sounds good value then Mervyn :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. "M"

A "living" Christmas tree

Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is...
    Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is important for an outdoor tree which is having an indoor holiday so a window position would be best but...
    Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is important for an outdoor tree which is having an indoor...
    Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. butchpt6

A brand new garden... Help needed

Aye, get the spade. Nowt like a bit of hard work in the sunshine to make you feel good.
    Aye, get the spade. Nowt like a bit of hard work in the sunshine to make you feel good.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jes0rKah

A couple of plant/tree identities?

Thanks for the idents - really appreciate it :) :love30:I think the placement of the Bergenia hasn't been doing it much good, as it's looking quite sickly.. I'll do some reading to see if I can help it...
    Thanks for the idents - really appreciate it :) :love30:I think the placement of the Bergenia hasn't been doing it much good, as it's looking quite sickly.. I'll do some reading to see if I can help it out and revive it a bit. :sick0026: :spinning:The Acer psudoplatanus seems to be happily growing, so I'll leave it to do...
    Thanks for the idents - really appreciate it :) :love30:I think the placement of the Bergenia hasn't been doing it much good, as it's looking quite sickly.. I'll do some reading to see if I can help it out and revive it a bit. :sick0026: :spinning:The Acer psudoplatanus...
    Thanks for the idents - really appreciate it :) :love30:I think the placement of the Bergenia hasn't been doing it much good, as it's looking quite sickly.. I'll do some reading to see if I can help it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Appleblossom31

A couple of questions

Just what I was needing luis, as Im a complete novice. Big big thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. AndyW72

A couple of questions

I'd take a chance and prune out the older canes, hopefully you can still see the remains of the flower bearing branches - the older canes will also be a darker colour.From the RHS:
    I'd take a chance and prune out the older canes, hopefully you can still see the remains of the flower bearing branches - the older canes will also be a darker colour.From the RHS:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. GloriaR

A few questions

You could leave the bulbs in but it would make it a bit awkward for planting so once they've died back lift them and remove excess soil and put them in a shed/garage to dry out then you can...
    You could leave the bulbs in but it would make it a bit awkward for planting so once they've died back lift them and remove excess soil and put them in a shed/garage to dry out then you can replant them in the Autumn:thumbsup:...The plants you suggested will grow there and I'd do as Jack advised and add a...
    You could leave the bulbs in but it would make it a bit awkward for planting so once they've died back lift them and remove excess soil and put them in a shed/garage to dry out then you can replant them in the Autumn:thumbsup:...The plants you suggested...
    You could leave the bulbs in but it would make it a bit awkward for planting so once they've died back lift them and remove excess soil and put them in a shed/garage to dry out then you can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Paul Sanderson

A few questions - again...

Yes, if you are lucky. We have never managed to keep the original plant over winter, but cuttings do survive quite easily, in the same way as Pelargoniums do.
    Yes, if you are lucky. We have never managed to keep the original plant over winter, but cuttings do survive quite easily, in the same way as Pelargoniums do.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Turlough O'Hagan

A good reliable garden pea variety

Kelvedon Wonder does well for me as does Early Onward. Alderman is a tall growing good cropping old fashioned variety with long pods and a good flavour.
    Kelvedon Wonder does well for me as does Early Onward. Alderman is a tall growing good cropping old fashioned variety with long pods and a good flavour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. TKB1943

A little advice for an all year round easy life :)

Thanks for the welcome! :)I have some photos, not great ones, so I photoed my doodle notes I made the other day. You'll have to forgive the mess you see in our currently neglected the garden (I'm...
    Thanks for the welcome! :)I have some photos, not great ones, so I photoed my doodle notes I made the other day. You'll have to forgive the mess you see in our currently neglected the garden (I'm embarressed to show these), and for the doodle which I hadn't planned to share originally. haIn...
    Thanks for the welcome! :)I have some photos, not great ones, so I photoed my doodle notes I made the other day. You'll have to forgive the mess you see in our currently neglected the garden (I'm embarressed to show these), and for the doodle...
    Thanks for the welcome! :)I have some photos, not great ones, so I photoed my doodle notes I made the other day. You'll have to forgive the mess you see in our currently neglected the garden (I'm...
    iPhoto 2015-01-23 17-31-47.png IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0558.JPG 2015-01-23 17-42-21.png 2015-01-23 17-43-56.png Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 17.49.53.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. FrenchBean

A mystery in the vegetable patch!

They can be trained upwards if you have a sturdy enough framework. :blue thumb: You would need to support the squash if you did so.
    They can be trained upwards if you have a sturdy enough framework. :blue thumb: You would need to support the squash if you did so.
    C5367E7A-26C1-46DF-A28F-A6C00434F437.jpeg C25BD699-99F6-4309-B5DE-FB27D83863AD.jpeg A42CC018-826B-4DE4-9AE4-EF493BA5CDC4.jpeg 184_8429.JPG 184_8428.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. "M"

A NW facing garden ...

So much going for a NW facing garden "M". Don't need to educate you on the benefits of soil enrichment with fibre and compost. So many lovely things are happy without the scorching unrelentless...
    So much going for a NW facing garden "M". Don't need to educate you on the benefits of soil enrichment with fibre and compost. So many lovely things are happy without the scorching unrelentless sun. Blooms last longer and shine like beacons if they are intense colours. Begonias ( the big...
    So much going for a NW facing garden "M". Don't need to educate you on the benefits of soil enrichment with fibre and compost. So many lovely things are happy without the scorching unrelentless sun. Blooms last longer and shine like beacons if...
    So much going for a NW facing garden "M". Don't need to educate you on the benefits of soil enrichment with fibre and compost. So many lovely things are happy without the scorching unrelentless...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kon

A Tale of Two Fig Trees

I would leave well alone Kon :) I would remove any fruits too .....let it devote its energy into growth. Does the soil in the bigger pot feel wetter?:noidea:
    I would leave well alone Kon :) I would remove any fruits too .....let it devote its energy into growth. Does the soil in the bigger pot feel wetter?:noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. DanDrage
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lee Hughes

Acer advice

Yep will do thank you for the advice :ThankYou:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice