1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↑
Last Message
  1. Barders

Poorly Camellia? (Rose of winter?)

Many thanks @pete I'll get some tomorrow and start giving it a feed :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. KarolinaW

Mulching - raised bed

If you applied 25-40mm of 'compost' in the Autumn, I think that should be sufficient for a season. Lightly rake to even surface, remove any weeds you can see and plant. Keep an eye open for any...
    If you applied 25-40mm of 'compost' in the Autumn, I think that should be sufficient for a season. Lightly rake to even surface, remove any weeds you can see and plant. Keep an eye open for any weed seedlings that appear and remove/hoe when they are small. You could use the soggy cardboard you...
    If you applied 25-40mm of 'compost' in the Autumn, I think that should be sufficient for a season. Lightly rake to even surface, remove any weeds you can see and plant. Keep an eye open for any weed seedlings that appear and remove/hoe when they...
    If you applied 25-40mm of 'compost' in the Autumn, I think that should be sufficient for a season. Lightly rake to even surface, remove any weeds you can see and plant. Keep an eye open for any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. New Irish gardener

First hedge cut

Snap @Macraignil ;)
    Snap @Macraignil ;)
    Snap @Macraignil ;)
    Snap @Macraignil ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Scoffy

What do I do with these?

To be sure of a good crop, if you have any seed left, try sowing a row direct into the soil, should be warm enough outdoors for them now.
    To be sure of a good crop, if you have any seed left, try sowing a row direct into the soil, should be warm enough outdoors for them now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. BML

Are these a dead loss?

Yeah, get them outside, they are leggy because they should have been outside for a long time.Once acclimatised they are fairly hardy and overwinter on a lot of occasions
    Yeah, get them outside, they are leggy because they should have been outside for a long time.Once acclimatised they are fairly hardy and overwinter on a lot of occasions
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. MJ76

Japanese Maple - too far gone?

Thank you so much folks, will bear with it and hopefully it will start to look a bit more healthy. I was concerned m,ainly because one of my neighbours has one (which may be an acer not sure)...
    Thank you so much folks, will bear with it and hopefully it will start to look a bit more healthy. I was concerned m,ainly because one of my neighbours has one (which may be an acer not sure) which is wrapped in the anti frost sheeting and looks a million times better but hopefully this will...
    Thank you so much folks, will bear with it and hopefully it will start to look a bit more healthy. I was concerned m,ainly because one of my neighbours has one (which may be an acer not sure) which is wrapped in the anti frost sheeting and looks...
    Thank you so much folks, will bear with it and hopefully it will start to look a bit more healthy. I was concerned m,ainly because one of my neighbours has one (which may be an acer not sure)...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Niall

Sunflower help!

Give it a good soak & feed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. marleyfarley1

Which variety of amalanchier?

Hi,which type of amalanchier would you recommend please? I primarily would like one for screening but fantastic autumn colour would be a brilliant bonus. If any of you have alternatives to an...
    Hi,which type of amalanchier would you recommend please? I primarily would like one for screening but fantastic autumn colour would be a brilliant bonus. If any of you have alternatives to an amalanchier I am open to suggestions :) thanks in advance :spinning:
    Hi,which type of amalanchier would you recommend please? I primarily would like one for screening but fantastic autumn colour would be a brilliant bonus. If any of you have alternatives to an amalanchier I am open to suggestions :) thanks in advance :spinning:
    Hi,which type of amalanchier would you recommend please? I primarily would like one for screening but fantastic autumn colour would be a brilliant bonus. If any of you have alternatives to an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Slouise

What to plant

Hello Slouise, Have a Google for Cistus, Helianthemum, Prostrate Rosemary, Lavenders, Artemisia, Thyme, Salvias...that will give you something to be going on with :)
    Hello Slouise, Have a Google for Cistus, Helianthemum, Prostrate Rosemary, Lavenders, Artemisia, Thyme, Salvias...that will give you something to be going on with :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Ruth82

Dish water for watering

I don't think it would be a problem, but all types of grey water I put on my ornamental rather than my edibles ... just Belt and Braces.Also not sure about "all the time" as detergents would...
    I don't think it would be a problem, but all types of grey water I put on my ornamental rather than my edibles ... just Belt and Braces.Also not sure about "all the time" as detergents would build up.what is grey water: expert RHS advice on using grey water in gardens / RHS Gardening
    I don't think it would be a problem, but all types of grey water I put on my ornamental rather than my edibles ... just Belt and Braces.Also not sure about "all the time" as detergents would build up.what is grey water: expert RHS advice on...
    I don't think it would be a problem, but all types of grey water I put on my ornamental rather than my edibles ... just Belt and Braces.Also not sure about "all the time" as detergents would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Markluke

Coleus in pot

Hi,The pot looks big enough for a while, the test is if it dries out the compost every day or when you can see a bundle of fine white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.Dont mistake a...
    Hi,The pot looks big enough for a while, the test is if it dries out the compost every day or when you can see a bundle of fine white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.Dont mistake a bit of wilting as dryness in this very hot weather , if it does and the compost is moist, just place...
    Hi,The pot looks big enough for a while, the test is if it dries out the compost every day or when you can see a bundle of fine white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.Dont mistake a bit of wilting as dryness in this very hot weather...
    Hi,The pot looks big enough for a while, the test is if it dries out the compost every day or when you can see a bundle of fine white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.Dont mistake a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. DebraB

Shasta

Thank you Palustris, for confirming it is a Shasta Daisy - and it is comforting to know it may be an old variety rather than a monster! I’ll see if it behaves itself with better support this year.
    Thank you Palustris, for confirming it is a Shasta Daisy - and it is comforting to know it may be an old variety rather than a monster! I’ll see if it behaves itself with better support this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. doubleudee

Chilli seedlngs or not?

Amazon reveals all....................
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. GaGa73

What size pot for pepper plants?

That looks perfect, I would pot on gradually as you are doing. Putting any plant into too big a pot can slow it down.
    That looks perfect, I would pot on gradually as you are doing. Putting any plant into too big a pot can slow it down.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Barders

Mostly dead young box bush - start again or keep going with it?

Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and...
    Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and continue to grow.Thank you again for your help, much appreciated :dbgrtmb:
    Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and continue to grow.Thank you again for your help, much...
    Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. welshcake

Cleaning up after Wood Pigeons

From my experience, as I said previously, after a few months the purple stains vanish completely. Maybe your paving is different to mine. I hope you manage to find an answer.
    From my experience, as I said previously, after a few months the purple stains vanish completely. Maybe your paving is different to mine. I hope you manage to find an answer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Nathan Burrows

Amenity Land query

Hi all.I’ve just taken possession of a piece of amenity land next to my garden which, as you can see, is rather overgrown. I’m in the process of clearing it by hand and removing all the weed...
    Hi all.I’ve just taken possession of a piece of amenity land next to my garden which, as you can see, is rather overgrown. I’m in the process of clearing it by hand and removing all the weed roots, and am planning to put some weed control fabric down. Long term, I’m going to plant some dwarf...
    Hi all.I’ve just taken possession of a piece of amenity land next to my garden which, as you can see, is rather overgrown. I’m in the process of clearing it by hand and removing all the weed roots, and am planning to put some weed control...
    Hi all.I’ve just taken possession of a piece of amenity land next to my garden which, as you can see, is rather overgrown. I’m in the process of clearing it by hand and removing all the weed...
    4263611A-C3FE-4CAC-861A-C7307A7202E7.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Gn0me

Which flower/plant to use?

I have this and I want to put a nice simple plant in it that has nice big white petals!As you can tell I am an absolute beginner that has no clue how to go about gardening! I'm okay with this...
    I have this and I want to put a nice simple plant in it that has nice big white petals!As you can tell I am an absolute beginner that has no clue how to go about gardening! I'm okay with this as I have to start somewhere so I thought this little project would be a good starter and hope that...
    I have this and I want to put a nice simple plant in it that has nice big white petals!As you can tell I am an absolute beginner that has no clue how to go about gardening! I'm okay with this as I have to start somewhere so I thought this...
    I have this and I want to put a nice simple plant in it that has nice big white petals!As you can tell I am an absolute beginner that has no clue how to go about gardening! I'm okay with this...
    20170414_102239.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mattyp

Growing wild flowers in a container

Thank you just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that...
    Thank you just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that and were rather peturbed about it :rolleyespink: but anyone with or without a garden can make a mini meadow in a...
    Thank you just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that and were rather peturbed about it :rolleyespink: but anyone with...
    Thank you just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Snowberry

Plant ID please

Is picture one and three some type of geranium and picture two a type of sorbaria?
    Is picture one and three some type of geranium and picture two a type of sorbaria?
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice