1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. lowrider69

winter pansies & violas

yea the petunias were really nice but its a lot of deadheading all the time lol,any winter flowers that are yearly blooms?
    yea the petunias were really nice but its a lot of deadheading all the time lol,any winter flowers that are yearly blooms?
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. "M"

Winter hanging plants.

:question: Thought something was up with them!! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. taurusmmuk

Winter flowers

You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This...
    You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This will enable the plants to concentrate on root growth. They will flower all the better for it albeit...
    You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This will enable the plants to concentrate on root...
    You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Star Jasmine

Winter baskets and pots

good idea
    good idea
    good idea
    good idea
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Caecius

Windy Balcony in Tower Block – What to Grow?

Your situation and vision sound amazing. :)The upright plants in the photo seem to be bamboo. I have no experience with them at all. The search function on the site will probably bring up useful...
    Your situation and vision sound amazing. :)The upright plants in the photo seem to be bamboo. I have no experience with them at all. The search function on the site will probably bring up useful topics regarding suitable bamboos for containers. There are so many people with hands-on experience...
    Your situation and vision sound amazing. :)The upright plants in the photo seem to be bamboo. I have no experience with them at all. The search function on the site will probably bring up useful topics regarding suitable bamboos for containers....
    Your situation and vision sound amazing. :)The upright plants in the photo seem to be bamboo. I have no experience with them at all. The search function on the site will probably bring up useful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Feets

Window box style ideas

@Feets Begonias are tubers and need to be taken out of the compost when the stems are dead in autumn, cut the stems off and then store the tubers in a protective place like in a shed or garage...
    @Feets Begonias are tubers and need to be taken out of the compost when the stems are dead in autumn, cut the stems off and then store the tubers in a protective place like in a shed or garage for winter and then in spring, pot them up until it's warm enough to plant out. They are an easy...
    @Feets Begonias are tubers and need to be taken out of the compost when the stems are dead in autumn, cut the stems off and then store the tubers in a protective place like in a shed or garage for winter and then in spring, pot them up until...
    @Feets Begonias are tubers and need to be taken out of the compost when the stems are dead in autumn, cut the stems off and then store the tubers in a protective place like in a shed or garage...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. "M"

Wind scorch on pittosporum

Plan C , AKA compost bin :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Lee Hughes

Wilted Acer

its the worse on line UK company I am not surprised now you have told us ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Fyfy K

Will this clematis grow here?

That's excellent news, thanks for the feedback @JWK @"M" and @Ian Taylor. @Spruce oh yes that never occurred to me, thanks :) Now all I need to worry about is having the trellis drilled to the wall...
    That's excellent news, thanks for the feedback @JWK @"M" and @Ian Taylor. @Spruce oh yes that never occurred to me, thanks :) Now all I need to worry about is having the trellis drilled to the wall before the whole thing gets stolen!
    That's excellent news, thanks for the feedback @JWK @"M" and @Ian Taylor. @Spruce oh yes that never occurred to me, thanks :) Now all I need to worry about is having the trellis drilled to the wall before the whole thing gets stolen!
    That's excellent news, thanks for the feedback @JWK @"M" and @Ian Taylor. @Spruce oh yes that never occurred to me, thanks :) Now all I need to worry about is having the trellis drilled to the wall...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. weedaway
    Like x 4

Will they come back next year

There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with perfect results.:noidea:I trim mine all back by half, repot as all mine are in the borders, and place in my...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with perfect results.:noidea:I trim mine all back by half, repot...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Sally Parker

Will they be ok???

Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up!
    Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. budala15

Will these shrubs survive?

Give your shrubs a good drink, keep the soil moist, a little feed will go a long way as well. Cut back all dried and dead foliage, but be careful not to cut too deep. You'll be wanting to keep...
    Give your shrubs a good drink, keep the soil moist, a little feed will go a long way as well. Cut back all dried and dead foliage, but be careful not to cut too deep. You'll be wanting to keep whats green! Hope this helps.
    Give your shrubs a good drink, keep the soil moist, a little feed will go a long way as well. Cut back all dried and dead foliage, but be careful not to cut too deep. You'll be wanting to keep whats green! Hope this helps.
    Give your shrubs a good drink, keep the soil moist, a little feed will go a long way as well. Cut back all dried and dead foliage, but be careful not to cut too deep. You'll be wanting to keep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Anth

Will my seedlings survive the winter?

Don't worry as one of my shallow trays looked like there wasn't anything in it but then the other day they started to shows the first leaf.The seeds are coated with a substance that can delay...
    Don't worry as one of my shallow trays looked like there wasn't anything in it but then the other day they started to shows the first leaf.The seeds are coated with a substance that can delay germination hence the washing of the seeds and also I found out the seeds don't like to be exposed to...
    Don't worry as one of my shallow trays looked like there wasn't anything in it but then the other day they started to shows the first leaf.The seeds are coated with a substance that can delay germination hence the washing of the seeds and also I...
    Don't worry as one of my shallow trays looked like there wasn't anything in it but then the other day they started to shows the first leaf.The seeds are coated with a substance that can delay...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. tricky4511

wild garden

It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used...
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used for unwanted vigorous plants with thorns such as wild roses (also called briar) and many others. :)
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used for unwanted vigorous plants with thorns such as...
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Weedstoo

Wild flowers for driveway?

Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and potted them up with some other bedding plants for some big pots at the front of the house hoping they...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and potted them up with some other bedding plants for some...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. MoonBasket

Why do weeds grow at the bottom of the garden fence?

I sprayed the nettles off in the field last year, as they only grow just either side of the fence, only one clump came back :)
    I sprayed the nettles off in the field last year, as they only grow just either side of the fence, only one clump came back :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sarah Giles

Why do I suck at growing strawberries??

I don't even have a mower anymore, I ended up employing a gardener to cut the grass! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    I don't even have a mower anymore, I ended up employing a gardener to cut the grass! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Robin66

Why do all my plants keep dying?

Ok, that's sounds like a great life lesson. Annoyingly, when I pointed out that the plant was dying, my girlfriend immediately blamed me for watering it too much, in lieu of anyone else to blame....
    Ok, that's sounds like a great life lesson. Annoyingly, when I pointed out that the plant was dying, my girlfriend immediately blamed me for watering it too much, in lieu of anyone else to blame. Seems like she was right. Thanks for the advice. I'll move toward reactionary watering now
    Ok, that's sounds like a great life lesson. Annoyingly, when I pointed out that the plant was dying, my girlfriend immediately blamed me for watering it too much, in lieu of anyone else to blame. Seems like she was right. Thanks for the advice....
    Ok, that's sounds like a great life lesson. Annoyingly, when I pointed out that the plant was dying, my girlfriend immediately blamed me for watering it too much, in lieu of anyone else to blame....
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. cheryl felix

Why can't I grow anything?????

Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing them and wait. Unless you are a professional growing them for fruit to sell or feed your family it's...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing them and wait. Unless you are a professional...
    Hi Cheryl Felix, :sign0016:You are doing everything right and have also spotted the weak point i.e. being too impatient. Fruit trees need a decade or so to show their true colours, just keep on nurturing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

White stone like deposits in soil

If you know it's acidic there, make use of that and pick a plant which likes those conditions. Heather, witch hazel, magnolia or camellia will love it.
    If you know it's acidic there, make use of that and pick a plant which likes those conditions. Heather, witch hazel, magnolia or camellia will love it.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice