1. Photo Competition
    MAY'S PHOTO COMPETITION IS OPEN!

The theme this month is "Made it through the winter" so get your best falsetto voices ready and show us what has been Stayin' Alive

Please Click Here!

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. DannyB

Can I kill roots from a plant if I can't dig them all out?

It claims to kill off tree stumps, so works on woody stuff.....it's worth a try!
    It claims to kill off tree stumps, so works on woody stuff.....it's worth a try!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Roy22

How to fill a patchy Forsythia hedge?

The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time...
    The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time of year because they will require quite a lot of watering) you want the centres at least 2ft-3ft...
    The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time of year because they will require quite a lot of...
    The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. tramsden

Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold' reducing

I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so...
    I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so off it all round and see how it looks. You can always cut more off if it's not enough.
    I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so off it all round and see how it looks. You can...
    I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Ockbrook_85

Overwintering Gaillardia

It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a...
    It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a problem.Photo's of them in bloom later on would be a bonus please. :)
    It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a problem.Photo's of them in bloom later on would be a...
    It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. "M"

Peony advice, please

That's great A, please let me know the date nearer the time :).
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. "M"

Question: an arbor and a slope

Thank you noisette you are very, very kind :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. CreakyJoints

Poppies - Anyone Know Why This Happens ?

I have found that article I read about Reproductive Biology of British Poppies :biggrin: This is it -Yesterday saw two more pink & white poppies opening, more of the smaller red flowers and what appears...
    I have found that article I read about Reproductive Biology of British Poppies :biggrin: This is it -Yesterday saw two more pink & white poppies opening, more of the smaller red flowers and what appears to be a bud containing a white flower that is close to opening.I have taken a few more...
    I have found that article I read about Reproductive Biology of British Poppies :biggrin: This is it -Yesterday saw two more pink & white poppies opening, more of the smaller red flowers and what appears to be a bud containing a white flower that is...
    I have found that article I read about Reproductive Biology of British Poppies :biggrin: This is it -Yesterday saw two more pink & white poppies opening, more of the smaller red flowers and what appears...
    2015-07-01 13.25.41.jpg 2012-03-05 19.57.18.jpg 20150708_155508.jpg 20150708_155533.jpg DSCF7695_zpsea72b709.jpg DSCF7735_zps6e6ac2e7.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. DannyB

Desperately in of need help choosing plants for garden border

Just be aware with Lady's Mantle, that if you let it, it will seed everywhere! I have only ever bought one plant!
    Just be aware with Lady's Mantle, that if you let it, it will seed everywhere! I have only ever bought one plant!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Anthony321

Need to correctly prepare garden to lay a new lawn

Looks good, hope we get some pics of it's development as Sheal suggested.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Snorky85

Over wintering plants...

Thank you harry, that's really helpful! I've got plenty of shredding so will do what you've done. :)
    Thank you harry, that's really helpful! I've got plenty of shredding so will do what you've done. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kevin Cowans

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' issue

That sounds ideal, Kevin :) I hope it does come back, but if not, good luck with the replacement!
    That sounds ideal, Kevin :) I hope it does come back, but if not, good luck with the replacement!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jack Sparrow

Bulb planting 101. Where to start.

@redstar :wow::wow::wow: Thats a BEEutiful purple carpet of blooms I just LOVE your garden :imphrt: :ThankYou: for sharing your AMAZing video footage :love30::love30:
    @redstar :wow::wow::wow: Thats a BEEutiful purple carpet of blooms I just LOVE your garden :imphrt: :ThankYou: for sharing your AMAZing video footage :love30::love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. fiwen30

My, erm, new garden...

You have the potential for a lovely garden here and it looks as though there are already some useful and attractive plants. I'd say first priority is exactly what you're doing: tidy up, cut back...
    You have the potential for a lovely garden here and it looks as though there are already some useful and attractive plants. I'd say first priority is exactly what you're doing: tidy up, cut back the obvious problem plants and observe. Use your camera to record what comes up and when and where...
    You have the potential for a lovely garden here and it looks as though there are already some useful and attractive plants. I'd say first priority is exactly what you're doing: tidy up, cut back the obvious problem plants and observe. Use your...
    You have the potential for a lovely garden here and it looks as though there are already some useful and attractive plants. I'd say first priority is exactly what you're doing: tidy up, cut back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Outlander

Planting a Juneberry tree in a container.

Thanks @Tetters tht is certainly a lovely looking tree. I'm having a think.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. "M"
    Like x 8

Two years with GC and a micro walk around "M" successes ..

We have Wilko's here "M" but they don't sell plants or seeds only gardening equipment so there's no chance of making a comparison. :doh:
    We have Wilko's here "M" but they don't sell plants or seeds only gardening equipment so there's no chance of making a comparison. :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Emma Craik-Horan

HELP! my new garden is a jungle mess!!

I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives...
    I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives you time to work on applying weed killer onto any new leaves that come through.During the growing...
    I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives you time to work on applying weed killer onto any...
    I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Barders

Teasels - still too small to put into individual pots?

Many thanks everyone, if I get them as far as the garden, I will make sure that I keep an eye on them, but would like the birds to get what they need, so will start a diary of when to do certain...
    Many thanks everyone, if I get them as far as the garden, I will make sure that I keep an eye on them, but would like the birds to get what they need, so will start a diary of when to do certain things.Will keep an eye on them now and hopefully the second leaves will appear soon.Thank you...
    Many thanks everyone, if I get them as far as the garden, I will make sure that I keep an eye on them, but would like the birds to get what they need, so will start a diary of when to do certain things.Will keep an eye on them now and...
    Many thanks everyone, if I get them as far as the garden, I will make sure that I keep an eye on them, but would like the birds to get what they need, so will start a diary of when to do certain...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. mommaperidot

Jemma's stupid question thread!

P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a...
    P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a specific question :)
    P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a specific question :)
    P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mrsc

Conifers planted too near border

My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't be seen, won't be considered malicious damage.Taking it to the extreme :rasp:- are you entitled to shave...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't be seen, won't be considered malicious...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. namaah

Help with digging clay soil

Probably not stored right. Probably damp had got in at some point, letting it go bad in the box.
    Probably not stored right. Probably damp had got in at some point, letting it go bad in the box.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice