1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Kevin Cowans

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' issue

That sounds ideal, Kevin :) I hope it does come back, but if not, good luck with the replacement!
    That sounds ideal, Kevin :) I hope it does come back, but if not, good luck with the replacement!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Ockbrook_85

Overwintering Gaillardia

It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a...
    It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a problem.Photo's of them in bloom later on would be a bonus please. :)
    It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a problem.Photo's of them in bloom later on would be a...
    It's great to hear the plants survived Rachael. :dbgrtmb: If you spray them with some washing up liquid diluted in water that should deal with the greenfly or any other aphids that may give you a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marie Kelly

Help please! How do I plant Jasmine & Honeysuckle plugs in planters?

I got this deal too. I have potted mine in individual small pots and have in a sheltered area. I know they are climbers and I have no clue what to do so I put a small stick in each pot in case...
    I got this deal too. I have potted mine in individual small pots and have in a sheltered area. I know they are climbers and I have no clue what to do so I put a small stick in each pot in case they start needing something to grow on until they get bigger and I plant them out.
    I got this deal too. I have potted mine in individual small pots and have in a sheltered area. I know they are climbers and I have no clue what to do so I put a small stick in each pot in case they start needing something to grow on until they...
    I got this deal too. I have potted mine in individual small pots and have in a sheltered area. I know they are climbers and I have no clue what to do so I put a small stick in each pot in case...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. "M"

Question: an arbor and a slope

Thank you noisette you are very, very kind :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. CaptainBennett

What's eating my plans?

Ha! Very true - I already have problems with my plans for the garden without slugs eating away at them too!
    Ha! Very true - I already have problems with my plans for the garden without slugs eating away at them too!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. mrsc

Conifers planted too near border

My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't be seen, won't be considered malicious damage.Taking it to the extreme :rasp:- are you entitled to...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't be seen, won't be considered malicious...
    My understanding is that any branches etc which flop over onto your neighbours property can be lopped off and chucked back over the fence. I'm sure a couple of screws into the trunk, which can't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. DannyB

Can I kill roots from a plant if I can't dig them all out?

It claims to kill off tree stumps, so works on woody stuff.....it's worth a try!
    It claims to kill off tree stumps, so works on woody stuff.....it's worth a try!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Anthony321

Need to correctly prepare garden to lay a new lawn

Looks good, hope we get some pics of it's development as Sheal suggested.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Anth

Black lace sambucus dead?

Sambucus is hardy and will stand temperatures of -15 to -20 however, like Acers I've discovered it doesn't like a windy site, the leaves burn off.
    Sambucus is hardy and will stand temperatures of -15 to -20 however, like Acers I've discovered it doesn't like a windy site, the leaves burn off.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Weedstoo

Foxglove plugs

Plant flowering is complex, daylength and temperature are important factors; also plant size and how long since it last flowered especially in plants that only flower once a year. This year I've...
    Plant flowering is complex, daylength and temperature are important factors; also plant size and how long since it last flowered especially in plants that only flower once a year. This year I've certainly noticed some plants having shorter flowering seasons, also a number have been later into...
    Plant flowering is complex, daylength and temperature are important factors; also plant size and how long since it last flowered especially in plants that only flower once a year. This year I've certainly noticed some plants having shorter...
    Plant flowering is complex, daylength and temperature are important factors; also plant size and how long since it last flowered especially in plants that only flower once a year. This year I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. DK MacPhee

First ever greenhouse

Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer in the the Glasgow area. The names we've been given so far are all in the east but would prefer...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer in the the Glasgow area. The names we've been...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. heliwilly

Tomato plants - no flowers?

Too many plants per growbag, imo. Sounds like they're competing for light, despite the fact that (as you say) there is plenty of light. A pic would help? I'm guessing they're a bit spindly?
    Too many plants per growbag, imo. Sounds like they're competing for light, despite the fact that (as you say) there is plenty of light. A pic would help? I'm guessing they're a bit spindly?
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. DevonPhil

Taming very established Wisteria

Hello Phil, well done! You've certainly got the Wisteria cracked now :) So....onto the exciting part where you make some changes. Keep us posted :biggrin:
    Hello Phil, well done! You've certainly got the Wisteria cracked now :) So....onto the exciting part where you make some changes. Keep us posted :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. tramsden

Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold' reducing

I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so...
    I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so off it all round and see how it looks. You can always cut more off if it's not enough.
    I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so off it all round and see how it looks. You can...
    I have the gold one as well and use my hedge cutter to keep it under control. It still grows back like mad! I'm not sure how far you want to cut it back in one go but I'd take a good foot or so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. GaryBuseysTeeth

Suggestions for a dark, dank corner!

here are ---some---of my hosta's
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. "M"

Peony advice, please

That's great A, please let me know the date nearer the time :).
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jack Sparrow

Bulb planting 101. Where to start.

@redstar :wow::wow::wow: Thats a BEEutiful purple carpet of blooms I just LOVE your garden :imphrt: :ThankYou: for sharing your AMAZing video footage :love30::love30:
    @redstar :wow::wow::wow: Thats a BEEutiful purple carpet of blooms I just LOVE your garden :imphrt: :ThankYou: for sharing your AMAZing video footage :love30::love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ThePlantAssassin

Blood fish and bone amounts

Thank you so much. Very kind of you to let me know. :ThankYou:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Roy22

How to fill a patchy Forsythia hedge?

The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time...
    The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time of year because they will require quite a lot of watering) you want the centres at least 2ft-3ft...
    The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time of year because they will require quite a lot of...
    The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. crapgloves

Planting in a garden with buried rubble

My main bed here has a small depth of soil atop rock. This is the island norm. No rabbits as they cannot burrow ( hares instead) and no burials. When my kind neighbours buried my dog here they...
    My main bed here has a small depth of soil atop rock. This is the island norm. No rabbits as they cannot burrow ( hares instead) and no burials. When my kind neighbours buried my dog here they were chipping at rock.I am amazed at how well things grow. Beans and peas, herbs, flowers. No...
    My main bed here has a small depth of soil atop rock. This is the island norm. No rabbits as they cannot burrow ( hares instead) and no burials. When my kind neighbours buried my dog here they were chipping at rock.I am amazed at how well...
    My main bed here has a small depth of soil atop rock. This is the island norm. No rabbits as they cannot burrow ( hares instead) and no burials. When my kind neighbours buried my dog here they...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice