1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Treguard

Newbie to gardening

Thinking .. I would want a deposit on my house plus plant's for £300..:whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ThePlantAssassin

Mail order woes. Money taken but no plants please help

@Spruce I've used Chris Bowers several times, most recently this year for bare rooted fruit trees. Always found them excellent and a fantastic selection of varieties. Would certainly recommend them.
    @Spruce I've used Chris Bowers several times, most recently this year for bare rooted fruit trees. Always found them excellent and a fantastic selection of varieties. Would certainly recommend them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. xantia

Ivy pruning

I've seen it done @glasgowdan but we just use edge clippers on what we have :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. "M"

Year round window box suggestions, please.

Cymbalaria Muralis also known as Antirrhinum Hederaceum or Antirrhinum Hederifolium.Common names Kenilworth Ivy, Creeping Toadflax or Ivy leaved Toadflax.Likes growing over rocks or in walls,...
    Cymbalaria Muralis also known as Antirrhinum Hederaceum or Antirrhinum Hederifolium.Common names Kenilworth Ivy, Creeping Toadflax or Ivy leaved Toadflax.Likes growing over rocks or in walls, can be used in hanging baskets.Grows 2" high and 18/24" wide/long.Flowers May to October.Likes...
    Cymbalaria Muralis also known as Antirrhinum Hederaceum or Antirrhinum Hederifolium.Common names Kenilworth Ivy, Creeping Toadflax or Ivy leaved Toadflax.Likes growing over rocks or in walls, can be used in hanging baskets.Grows 2" high and...
    Cymbalaria Muralis also known as Antirrhinum Hederaceum or Antirrhinum Hederifolium.Common names Kenilworth Ivy, Creeping Toadflax or Ivy leaved Toadflax.Likes growing over rocks or in walls,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. GYO newbie

Dirty Hands

I don't seem to have the problems that all of you do. :scratch:I never do any work in the garden without gloves. For all things (except working in spikey, prickly, sap producing jobs) I wear cotton...
    I don't seem to have the problems that all of you do. :scratch:I never do any work in the garden without gloves. For all things (except working in spikey, prickly, sap producing jobs) I wear cotton gloves and buy them in bulk (less than £1 per pair). For those other jobs I have a very tough pair of...
    I don't seem to have the problems that all of you do. :scratch:I never do any work in the garden without gloves. For all things (except working in spikey, prickly, sap producing jobs) I wear cotton gloves and buy them in bulk (less than £1 per pair). ...
    I don't seem to have the problems that all of you do. :scratch:I never do any work in the garden without gloves. For all things (except working in spikey, prickly, sap producing jobs) I wear cotton...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. moonraker
    Like x 3

Learn while the weathers bad

Are you talking about the kindle or the e-books? Sony make one similar to Kindle, but I don't think you can get the supply of books as you can with a Kindle. There are many books on Amazons...
    Are you talking about the kindle or the e-books? Sony make one similar to Kindle, but I don't think you can get the supply of books as you can with a Kindle. There are many books on Amazons listings that you can get free or under £1-00 but it really is down to what type of thing you read. ...
    Are you talking about the kindle or the e-books? Sony make one similar to Kindle, but I don't think you can get the supply of books as you can with a Kindle. There are many books on Amazons listings that you can get free or under £1-00 but...
    Are you talking about the kindle or the e-books? Sony make one similar to Kindle, but I don't think you can get the supply of books as you can with a Kindle. There are many books on Amazons...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. HackettLad

How do I know I’m overwatering?

I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the spent flower spikes can remain for many months, looking greyer, but still lovely (especially with an...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the spent flower spikes can remain for many months,...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. gooseygoo
    Like x 3

Not a great start

Hi John. Thanks again. I have decided not to have a lawn in the new garden, but this means that I can get on with planting stuff straight away, which is really exciting! Best, Rob
    Hi John. Thanks again. I have decided not to have a lawn in the new garden, but this means that I can get on with planting stuff straight away, which is really exciting! Best, Rob
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. SandyNI

Seedlings are not happy!

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm learning so much from this forum. After only 4 days with light (set just above!) all 400 seedlings are looking heaps better and all are starting to get new...
    Thank you all so much for your help. I'm learning so much from this forum. After only 4 days with light (set just above!) all 400 seedlings are looking heaps better and all are starting to get new leaves.... it's dead exciting..... I'm like a mother hen with her babies!
    Thank you all so much for your help. I'm learning so much from this forum. After only 4 days with light (set just above!) all 400 seedlings are looking heaps better and all are starting to get new leaves.... it's dead exciting..... I'm like a...
    Thank you all so much for your help. I'm learning so much from this forum. After only 4 days with light (set just above!) all 400 seedlings are looking heaps better and all are starting to get new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. seantmurphy1

BLUE COLEUS

This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan....
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan. Back on topic i see that Thompson & Morgan are offering a blue poppy meconopsis 'Lingholm' which is...
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan. Back on topic i see that Thompson & Morgan are...
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Piotr W
    Like x 3

Advice on how to start a garden needed :)

Wow. I'm most impressed with the transformation, well done @Piotr W ! :yay:Raid the supermarket potted herbs selection, most will grow very well when first potted on into a larger pot and when they...
    Wow. I'm most impressed with the transformation, well done @Piotr W ! :yay:Raid the supermarket potted herbs selection, most will grow very well when first potted on into a larger pot and when they have filled it up, in the ground. Usually it's fine to rip the rootball in two to get two plants....
    Wow. I'm most impressed with the transformation, well done @Piotr W ! :yay:Raid the supermarket potted herbs selection, most will grow very well when first potted on into a larger pot and when they have filled it up, in the ground. Usually it's...
    Wow. I'm most impressed with the transformation, well done @Piotr W ! :yay:Raid the supermarket potted herbs selection, most will grow very well when first potted on into a larger pot and when they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. cheryl felix

Barren garden?

Hi there, FWIW I definitely think that if you're new to gardening it's hard to understand what they mean on the back of these seed packets when they say: 'thin out to Xcm' You feel like you've...
    Hi there, FWIW I definitely think that if you're new to gardening it's hard to understand what they mean on the back of these seed packets when they say: 'thin out to Xcm' You feel like you've just planted all this stuff and now you've to haul them out the ground?! Anyway, I found that once you...
    Hi there, FWIW I definitely think that if you're new to gardening it's hard to understand what they mean on the back of these seed packets when they say: 'thin out to Xcm' You feel like you've just planted all this stuff and now you've to haul...
    Hi there, FWIW I definitely think that if you're new to gardening it's hard to understand what they mean on the back of these seed packets when they say: 'thin out to Xcm' You feel like you've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Soiled

Wisteria

Thanks guys, that's really useful info. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again.
    Thanks guys, that's really useful info. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ant1977

What to use to kill all this back

Hiya ant1977 :) Resolva is one brand.....just look for glyphosate or wording that “kills down to the roots” There is a stronger glyphosate made by Resolva too. B & Q, Poundland, B & M, Home...
    Hiya ant1977 :) Resolva is one brand.....just look for glyphosate or wording that “kills down to the roots” There is a stronger glyphosate made by Resolva too. B & Q, Poundland, B & M, Home bargains, The Range, etc. Clear it back, leave it for 10 days or so then spray the new growth. Remember,...
    Hiya ant1977 :) Resolva is one brand.....just look for glyphosate or wording that “kills down to the roots” There is a stronger glyphosate made by Resolva too. B & Q, Poundland, B & M, Home bargains, The Range, etc. Clear it back, leave it for...
    Hiya ant1977 :) Resolva is one brand.....just look for glyphosate or wording that “kills down to the roots” There is a stronger glyphosate made by Resolva too. B & Q, Poundland, B & M, Home...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ThePlantAssassin

Fragrant plant suggestions wanted

I think they are probably bought by people who aren't knowledgeable and/or particularly keen on gardening but want something imposing which will have immediate impact in the garden. I certainly...
    I think they are probably bought by people who aren't knowledgeable and/or particularly keen on gardening but want something imposing which will have immediate impact in the garden. I certainly agree that it's extortionate but someone must be buying them!Nick
    I think they are probably bought by people who aren't knowledgeable and/or particularly keen on gardening but want something imposing which will have immediate impact in the garden. I certainly agree that it's extortionate but someone must be...
    I think they are probably bought by people who aren't knowledgeable and/or particularly keen on gardening but want something imposing which will have immediate impact in the garden. I certainly...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Tingting44

what to plant to get some privacy?

The Jackson one that you've posted is not the same colour as those already growing. It is a slightly golden colour and grows slower, but thicker than the Wyevale one. I'd go for the Wyevale one. :blue thumb:
    The Jackson one that you've posted is not the same colour as those already growing. It is a slightly golden colour and grows slower, but thicker than the Wyevale one. I'd go for the Wyevale one. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sardo Numspa

Water butt mains backup connection

I need loads of stuff, still in the design phase at the moment = )Useful link.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. maria

is heather a good ground cover?

Probably covered earlier in the thread, but it wants an acid soil (unless you plant E. carnea, which is winter flowering)
    Probably covered earlier in the thread, but it wants an acid soil (unless you plant E. carnea, which is winter flowering)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Alexkbrown

Tea Plants!!

Thanks Pete, I think I agree with you, but I guess we'll wait and see, maybe I'll get enough for a little teaser of what is to come, and it's also possible I could blend it will a little assam to...
    Thanks Pete, I think I agree with you, but I guess we'll wait and see, maybe I'll get enough for a little teaser of what is to come, and it's also possible I could blend it will a little assam to bulk it out, I know that's what Tregothnan estate do.
    Thanks Pete, I think I agree with you, but I guess we'll wait and see, maybe I'll get enough for a little teaser of what is to come, and it's also possible I could blend it will a little assam to bulk it out, I know that's what Tregothnan estate do.
    Thanks Pete, I think I agree with you, but I guess we'll wait and see, maybe I'll get enough for a little teaser of what is to come, and it's also possible I could blend it will a little assam to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Snorky85

Not sure what to do next...any thoughts?

Probably ok for seed, but not a greenhouse in sight........................
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409903109.083407.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409903122.573158.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409908855.533778.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409908879.556962.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410019573.430601.jpg Capture.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice