1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Retro_Popcorn

Silver ivy

Thinking about it you could be right , on the other hand if it gets to the top it will hang down. But ivy does spread sideways usually without too much encouragement. Something I've never tried,...
    Thinking about it you could be right , on the other hand if it gets to the top it will hang down. But ivy does spread sideways usually without too much encouragement. Something I've never tried, but it does smother most things quite well if not rapidly to start with.
    Thinking about it you could be right , on the other hand if it gets to the top it will hang down. But ivy does spread sideways usually without too much encouragement. Something I've never tried, but it does smother most things quite well if not...
    Thinking about it you could be right , on the other hand if it gets to the top it will hang down. But ivy does spread sideways usually without too much encouragement. Something I've never tried,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Retro_Popcorn

Ilex aquifolium Argentea Marginata

Looking good ... are you wanting a holly hedge ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ChrisWales

Advice on planter

It does have a high content of organic matter, probably green waste or household waste, explains the plastic. Nice planter though :blue thumb:
    It does have a high content of organic matter, probably green waste or household waste, explains the plastic. Nice planter though :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. EmFlu

Didn't tease potbound roots; should I repot a second time?

I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:Joking...
    I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:Joking aside though, except in very specific circumstances, I only really re pot when the plants are young,...
    I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:Joking aside though, except in very specific circumstances,...
    I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:Joking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. TinyLondonGarden

Hedge help!

I'd go for Pittosporum, but tenuifolium variegatum or one of it's hybrids. They withstand hot sun and even drought, and form an attractive cone-shaped shrub without any pruning.
    I'd go for Pittosporum, but tenuifolium variegatum or one of it's hybrids. They withstand hot sun and even drought, and form an attractive cone-shaped shrub without any pruning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Weedstoo

Creating a "woodland meadow" in garden?

@Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help if you filled in your location on the Personal Details page as that gives people at least a general...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help if you filled in your location on the Personal...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Weedstoo

Ivy for fence?

If you want a hassle-free ivy for your fence, (removed) is the one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Matthew Rosen-Marsh

What to do with old soil

I just tip mine on top of the borders. If space is an issue just be aware that adding kitchen remains will eventually just give you greater bulk to get rid of.
    I just tip mine on top of the borders. If space is an issue just be aware that adding kitchen remains will eventually just give you greater bulk to get rid of.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jazzbal007

Identification of hedges/plants and how to tidy

This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next...
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next weekend and get going on it.Thanks again all
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next weekend and get going on it.Thanks again all
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. EmilyT01

Creating a garden from scratch... Where to start?!

I made a passible lawn from an area like that just by constant mowing, a treatment with lawn weedkiller once it began to look passible and then cut beds out to my requirements.
    I made a passible lawn from an area like that just by constant mowing, a treatment with lawn weedkiller once it began to look passible and then cut beds out to my requirements.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. hi2u_uk

Peach tree in container growing- what to plant it in ?

Its been in the pot since Summer time and already have leaves but i guess i can get a clear protective cover from rain but i dont want it to get leaf curl
    Its been in the pot since Summer time and already have leaves but i guess i can get a clear protective cover from rain but i dont want it to get leaf curl
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. landimad

Holiday

In Yorkshire there is a saying.If er tha does ought for nought, alas do it for tha sen.Or in modern English, if ever you do anything for nothing, always do it for yourself.
    In Yorkshire there is a saying.If er tha does ought for nought, alas do it for tha sen.Or in modern English, if ever you do anything for nothing, always do it for yourself.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Longarmedmonkey

New home, many opportunities

Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to...
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to start with.Mowing regularly will control and eliminate many lawn weeds too.
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to start with.Mowing regularly will control and...
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. GaGa73

What size pot for pepper plants?

That looks perfect, I would pot on gradually as you are doing. Putting any plant into too big a pot can slow it down.
    That looks perfect, I would pot on gradually as you are doing. Putting any plant into too big a pot can slow it down.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Delmo

Soaker hose /drip watering. How do you renew compost.

Hi.Thanks for your responseAs i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I...
    Hi.Thanks for your responseAs i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I currently have a small amount of raised beds. 7 4x4ft beds that hold around 600l compost each. I work away...
    Hi.Thanks for your responseAs i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I currently have a small amount of raised beds. 7 4x4ft...
    Hi.Thanks for your responseAs i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. GaGa73

Seagull droppings in water butt

I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater carefully though and aim the water at the soil/base of plants, especially with salad crops. A bit of...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater carefully though and aim the water at the soil/base of...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Niall

Sunflower help!

Give it a good soak & feed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Danny30

Revice Struggling Plants

Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back quite a bit. If your annuals are wilting they probably need watering. I have some larger annuals in...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back quite a bit. If your annuals are wilting they probably...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Weedstoo

Where should I plant these Herbaceous Perrenials?

Then just plant them on the ground. The ridge is only for heavy, waterlogged clay soil.
    Then just plant them on the ground. The ridge is only for heavy, waterlogged clay soil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Tara Jane

Deadheading

Got it. Thanks for the advice. I have now chopped it back. I can actually see two new heads appearing at the base.
    Got it. Thanks for the advice. I have now chopped it back. I can actually see two new heads appearing at the base.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice