1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. wren1

What's this weird egg formation?!

Ah yes, I think I've seen them in the garden. Thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. NeilDeWheel

What's this climber?

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear it's a squash. I assume that means it's edible?
    Thanks for the replies. Good to hear it's a squash. I assume that means it's edible?
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. hoofy

What's happened to my cordyline?

Yep hoofy, “thriving on neglect” sounds about right :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. CaptainBennett

What's eating my plans?

Ha! Very true - I already have problems with my plans for the garden without slugs eating away at them too!
    Ha! Very true - I already have problems with my plans for the garden without slugs eating away at them too!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Oceangore

What's eating my amaryllis?!

I agree with @pete - wind damage and slugs (the clue there being the bulb damage). Amarylis leaves have fibres running through them that slugs can't get through hence the partial damage.
    I agree with @pete - wind damage and slugs (the clue there being the bulb damage). Amarylis leaves have fibres running through them that slugs can't get through hence the partial damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. GYO newbie

What would be suitable?

Hi, and welcome. I suppose it all depends on what you like. For example a lot of shared lawned areas near me are divided by neatly clipped dwarf conifers, some by small fences and others with a...
    Hi, and welcome. I suppose it all depends on what you like. For example a lot of shared lawned areas near me are divided by neatly clipped dwarf conifers, some by small fences and others with a mixture of plants. For example mine and my neighbours(not lawned btw) has perovskia, bluebells, and...
    Hi, and welcome. I suppose it all depends on what you like. For example a lot of shared lawned areas near me are divided by neatly clipped dwarf conifers, some by small fences and others with a mixture of plants. For example mine and my...
    Hi, and welcome. I suppose it all depends on what you like. For example a lot of shared lawned areas near me are divided by neatly clipped dwarf conifers, some by small fences and others with a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Niall

What weed is this?

Dandelions are very good for pollinating insects, especially bees of all sorts in spring when the bees first emerge and when there are often not many nectar rich flowers about. Once seed is set...
    Dandelions are very good for pollinating insects, especially bees of all sorts in spring when the bees first emerge and when there are often not many nectar rich flowers about. Once seed is set finches, particularly Linnets and Goldfinches come to feed on them. Watching this is one of my...
    Dandelions are very good for pollinating insects, especially bees of all sorts in spring when the bees first emerge and when there are often not many nectar rich flowers about. Once seed is set finches, particularly Linnets and Goldfinches come...
    Dandelions are very good for pollinating insects, especially bees of all sorts in spring when the bees first emerge and when there are often not many nectar rich flowers about. Once seed is set...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Niall

What weed is this?

I love dandelions.
    I love dandelions.
    I love dandelions.
    I love dandelions.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. GaGa73

What type of cucumber do I have?

I agree, it was always the case that ridge types, (outdoor), needed to be pollinated whereas growing the older varieties of greenhouse types you had to remove all male flowers, otherwise the...
    I agree, it was always the case that ridge types, (outdoor), needed to be pollinated whereas growing the older varieties of greenhouse types you had to remove all male flowers, otherwise the fruit became misshapen and bitter. That's why they bred all female types.
    I agree, it was always the case that ridge types, (outdoor), needed to be pollinated whereas growing the older varieties of greenhouse types you had to remove all male flowers, otherwise the fruit became misshapen and bitter. That's why they...
    I agree, it was always the case that ridge types, (outdoor), needed to be pollinated whereas growing the older varieties of greenhouse types you had to remove all male flowers, otherwise the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. deadfrog66

What tree is this

ThanksSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ant1977

What to use to kill all this back

Hiya ant1977 :) Resolva is one brand.....just look for glyphosate or wording that “kills down to the roots” There is a stronger glyphosate made by Resolva too. B & Q, Poundland, B & M, Home...
    Hiya ant1977 :) Resolva is one brand.....just look for glyphosate or wording that “kills down to the roots” There is a stronger glyphosate made by Resolva too. B & Q, Poundland, B & M, Home bargains, The Range, etc. Clear it back, leave it for 10 days or so then spray the new growth. Remember,...
    Hiya ant1977 :) Resolva is one brand.....just look for glyphosate or wording that “kills down to the roots” There is a stronger glyphosate made by Resolva too. B & Q, Poundland, B & M, Home bargains, The Range, etc. Clear it back, leave it for...
    Hiya ant1977 :) Resolva is one brand.....just look for glyphosate or wording that “kills down to the roots” There is a stronger glyphosate made by Resolva too. B & Q, Poundland, B & M, Home...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. paul-kent

What to put where

Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough rinsing), before drilling drainage holes into them and then filling up for growing in. I use them for...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough rinsing), before drilling drainage holes into them and...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. GraceMount

What to put in border?

It is very difficult to do much with such a narrow border like ricky has mentioned . I would add a climbing plant or 2 to the fence , A rose would be more suitable than a clematis because clematis...
    It is very difficult to do much with such a narrow border like ricky has mentioned . I would add a climbing plant or 2 to the fence , A rose would be more suitable than a clematis because clematis like there feet in the shade but still maybe worth a go, not all roses have thorns either....
    It is very difficult to do much with such a narrow border like ricky has mentioned . I would add a climbing plant or 2 to the fence , A rose would be more suitable than a clematis because clematis like there feet in the shade but still maybe...
    It is very difficult to do much with such a narrow border like ricky has mentioned . I would add a climbing plant or 2 to the fence , A rose would be more suitable than a clematis because clematis...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Kris1990

what to plant?

What about winter pansies? A cut-and-come-again salad box can be really pretty, especially if you mix it up with 'bright lights' chard and use colourful containers.I think much of what you sow...
    What about winter pansies? A cut-and-come-again salad box can be really pretty, especially if you mix it up with 'bright lights' chard and use colourful containers.I think much of what you sow now will be in readiness for next year, no? I would start prepping for next spring/summer in my...
    What about winter pansies? A cut-and-come-again salad box can be really pretty, especially if you mix it up with 'bright lights' chard and use colourful containers.I think much of what you sow now will be in readiness for next year, no? I...
    What about winter pansies? A cut-and-come-again salad box can be really pretty, especially if you mix it up with 'bright lights' chard and use colourful containers.I think much of what you sow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Tingting44

what to plant to get some privacy?

The Jackson one that you've posted is not the same colour as those already growing. It is a slightly golden colour and grows slower, but thicker than the Wyevale one. I'd go for the Wyevale one. :blue thumb:
    The Jackson one that you've posted is not the same colour as those already growing. It is a slightly golden colour and grows slower, but thicker than the Wyevale one. I'd go for the Wyevale one. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gardenretreat

what to plant now for screening?

I like the look of Amelanchier oblisk. Is it dense enough for birds to nest?I'm looking for tall hedging that is evergreen, and then in between a tall tree upright tree that will obscure the...
    I like the look of Amelanchier oblisk. Is it dense enough for birds to nest?I'm looking for tall hedging that is evergreen, and then in between a tall tree upright tree that will obscure the overlooking upstairs bedroom from the neighbours.
    I like the look of Amelanchier oblisk. Is it dense enough for birds to nest?I'm looking for tall hedging that is evergreen, and then in between a tall tree upright tree that will obscure the overlooking upstairs bedroom from the neighbours.
    I like the look of Amelanchier oblisk. Is it dense enough for birds to nest?I'm looking for tall hedging that is evergreen, and then in between a tall tree upright tree that will obscure the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Elina

What to plant in these baskets

I'd also go with verbena. It looks amazing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Oakapple

What to plant in new small bed under lilac tree

Yes, thanks, I shall wait. I think I need to wait for hostas as well ( haven’t seen any as yet) and think two or three will look good in the shade of a small apple tree I have incorporated into...
    Yes, thanks, I shall wait. I think I need to wait for hostas as well ( haven’t seen any as yet) and think two or three will look good in the shade of a small apple tree I have incorporated into the bed. Any recommendations?Ideally evergreen, or are they all evergreen?:)
    Yes, thanks, I shall wait. I think I need to wait for hostas as well ( haven’t seen any as yet) and think two or three will look good in the shade of a small apple tree I have incorporated into the bed. Any recommendations?Ideally evergreen, or...
    Yes, thanks, I shall wait. I think I need to wait for hostas as well ( haven’t seen any as yet) and think two or three will look good in the shade of a small apple tree I have incorporated into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Billozz

What to plant

Hi @Billozz - welcome! I think one of the nice admins should be able to help with the photo eg @wiseowl . But to start, can you please say roughly where this new house is? Is it UK or elsewhere?...
    Hi @Billozz - welcome! I think one of the nice admins should be able to help with the photo eg @wiseowl . But to start, can you please say roughly where this new house is? Is it UK or elsewhere? North of Scotland braving the elements, or lovely and mild in Cornwall? In the short term, you can...
    Hi @Billozz - welcome! I think one of the nice admins should be able to help with the photo eg @wiseowl . But to start, can you please say roughly where this new house is? Is it UK or elsewhere? North of Scotland braving the elements, or lovely...
    Hi @Billozz - welcome! I think one of the nice admins should be able to help with the photo eg @wiseowl . But to start, can you please say roughly where this new house is? Is it UK or elsewhere?...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Slouise

What to plant

Hello Slouise, Have a Google for Cistus, Helianthemum, Prostrate Rosemary, Lavenders, Artemisia, Thyme, Salvias...that will give you something to be going on with :)
    Hello Slouise, Have a Google for Cistus, Helianthemum, Prostrate Rosemary, Lavenders, Artemisia, Thyme, Salvias...that will give you something to be going on with :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice