NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Domscore

Transplanting carrots and beets

Always Plant From Seed Root VegetablesBeets Carrots Parsnips Radishes Rutabaga Salsify Turnips
    Always Plant From Seed Root VegetablesBeets Carrots Parsnips Radishes Rutabaga Salsify Turnips
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. fiwen30

My, erm, new garden...

You have the potential for a lovely garden here and it looks as though there are already some useful and attractive plants. I'd say first priority is exactly what you're doing: tidy up, cut back...
    You have the potential for a lovely garden here and it looks as though there are already some useful and attractive plants. I'd say first priority is exactly what you're doing: tidy up, cut back the obvious problem plants and observe. Use your camera to record what comes up and when and where...
    You have the potential for a lovely garden here and it looks as though there are already some useful and attractive plants. I'd say first priority is exactly what you're doing: tidy up, cut back the obvious problem plants and observe. Use your...
    You have the potential for a lovely garden here and it looks as though there are already some useful and attractive plants. I'd say first priority is exactly what you're doing: tidy up, cut back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. NorthantsGeezer

Help/ideas needed for pet tribute

:biggrin: No @Sheal , I have just had the whole house done recently. I do have an iron shaped mark in the lounge though. I missed the ironing board :sad:
    :biggrin: No @Sheal , I have just had the whole house done recently. I do have an iron shaped mark in the lounge though. I missed the ironing board :sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Tingting44

what to plant to get some privacy?

The Jackson one that you've posted is not the same colour as those already growing. It is a slightly golden colour and grows slower, but thicker than the Wyevale one. I'd go for the Wyevale one. :blue thumb:
    The Jackson one that you've posted is not the same colour as those already growing. It is a slightly golden colour and grows slower, but thicker than the Wyevale one. I'd go for the Wyevale one. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Ella17

Greengage problem

Thank you so much for the pruning information. It is very useful to know what we should be aiming for! Last year we lost a lot of fruit because the tree seemed very congested in the middle -...
    Thank you so much for the pruning information. It is very useful to know what we should be aiming for! Last year we lost a lot of fruit because the tree seemed very congested in the middle - obviously we should be trying to thin it out in the centre. We have just bought a lovely little...
    Thank you so much for the pruning information. It is very useful to know what we should be aiming for! Last year we lost a lot of fruit because the tree seemed very congested in the middle - obviously we should be trying to thin it out in the...
    Thank you so much for the pruning information. It is very useful to know what we should be aiming for! Last year we lost a lot of fruit because the tree seemed very congested in the middle -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. stevo19901

Looking for easy pretty flowers for 1st time gardener

If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's...
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's come up lovely again this year, colour most of the year too!
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's come up lovely again this year, colour most of the...
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. PhilC

Clueless about repotting Lupin seedlings...

You're not the first ... nor the last ... :)When you prick them out you can "bury" up to the seed leaves, that will correct some "legginess"
    You're not the first ... nor the last ... :)When you prick them out you can "bury" up to the seed leaves, that will correct some "legginess"
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kon

Can pine bark chips attract flies?

We need an exact number count to tell you if the chippings are attracting the gnats or not! :roflol:Seriously tho, I think it's just a coincidence, :)Nick
    We need an exact number count to tell you if the chippings are attracting the gnats or not! :roflol:Seriously tho, I think it's just a coincidence, :)Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Weedstoo

Wild flowers for driveway?

Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and potted them up with some other bedding plants for some big pots at the front of the house hoping they...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and potted them up with some other bedding plants for some...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. louicopp

Newbie Mistake

I'll check to see whether 'public transport disease' is one of her qualifications. :heehee:She'll give you advice and try and sort something out for you when she has a spare moment today. :blue thumb:
    I'll check to see whether 'public transport disease' is one of her qualifications. :heehee:She'll give you advice and try and sort something out for you when she has a spare moment today. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Danny30

Plants For New Garden

Agree with Infradig, probably everything will be all right and the plant roots and worms will work their way through the different soils.The only issue would be if the planting holes were very...
    Agree with Infradig, probably everything will be all right and the plant roots and worms will work their way through the different soils.The only issue would be if the planting holes were very small and the clay soil around undug. Even then most plants should be ok. (I have that situation in...
    Agree with Infradig, probably everything will be all right and the plant roots and worms will work their way through the different soils.The only issue would be if the planting holes were very small and the clay soil around undug. Even then...
    Agree with Infradig, probably everything will be all right and the plant roots and worms will work their way through the different soils.The only issue would be if the planting holes were very...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. luciusmaximus

I am so disorganised and rubbish gardener

"The soil on that bit of the bank quite stony and rooty. What do you think?"If you're still looking for a shrub, I'd say Skimmia would do a good job here as it will tolerate very poor soil and...
    "The soil on that bit of the bank quite stony and rooty. What do you think?"If you're still looking for a shrub, I'd say Skimmia would do a good job here as it will tolerate very poor soil and even builders' rubble. Skimmia Fragrans is the one I'd choose as it has a glorious scent in the...
    "The soil on that bit of the bank quite stony and rooty. What do you think?"If you're still looking for a shrub, I'd say Skimmia would do a good job here as it will tolerate very poor soil and even builders' rubble. Skimmia Fragrans is the one...
    "The soil on that bit of the bank quite stony and rooty. What do you think?"If you're still looking for a shrub, I'd say Skimmia would do a good job here as it will tolerate very poor soil and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. KTSJ

New Gardener out of my depth!

Taking shape KTSJ :) Forget the grass....it will recover quickly enough. We had a couple of days of heavy rain last week and it was enough to restore a lot of greenery down here:)
    Taking shape KTSJ :) Forget the grass....it will recover quickly enough. We had a couple of days of heavy rain last week and it was enough to restore a lot of greenery down here:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Kevin Cowans
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Ollie Scarth
    Like x 4

I will become greenfingered!

That's not been my experience, the Dogs only tinkle so they can mark multiple spots, and they rarely go on the lawn preferring a bush somewhere to the side, whereas the Bitches squat down and dump...
    That's not been my experience, the Dogs only tinkle so they can mark multiple spots, and they rarely go on the lawn preferring a bush somewhere to the side, whereas the Bitches squat down and dump their whole, concentrated, load in one spot ...I've heard about Dogrocks (or whatever they are...
    That's not been my experience, the Dogs only tinkle so they can mark multiple spots, and they rarely go on the lawn preferring a bush somewhere to the side, whereas the Bitches squat down and dump their whole, concentrated, load in one spot...
    That's not been my experience, the Dogs only tinkle so they can mark multiple spots, and they rarely go on the lawn preferring a bush somewhere to the side, whereas the Bitches squat down and dump...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. blacktulip

Without any experience, I am facing a ruined garden

It's about 120 - 150 sq. metres . Quite a large area
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. NEL

Planting bulbs

bunch of bulbs, that drift each year.
    20170307_110239.jpg 20170307_110318.jpg springf-1-1.JPG 12984012_10209606859632154_2396301735581284956_o.jpg 903695_10201025466542690_713070195_o.jpg 1399228_10203812459895782_6942046555075270148_o.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. confused new gardener

compacted soil in baskets

HJust to be clear, plant pot drip tray I fill with dry swell gell and the slow release fertilizer then I pour the provado into the drip tray and give it a mix the swell jell takes up all the...
    HJust to be clear, plant pot drip tray I fill with dry swell gell and the slow release fertilizer then I pour the provado into the drip tray and give it a mix the swell jell takes up all the provado and then once thats done I put the compost in .Spruce
    HJust to be clear, plant pot drip tray I fill with dry swell gell and the slow release fertilizer then I pour the provado into the drip tray and give it a mix the swell jell takes up all the provado and then once thats done I put the compost...
    HJust to be clear, plant pot drip tray I fill with dry swell gell and the slow release fertilizer then I pour the provado into the drip tray and give it a mix the swell jell takes up all the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Sueemma

Growing a wisteria in a pot or as a tree

I have just found this , thought i would post it to help others that are interested. Its a Wisteria umbrella. Going to do more research.
    I have just found this , thought i would post it to help others that are interested. Its a Wisteria umbrella. Going to do more research.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. "M"

Idiots guide to fuchsia cuttings: please.

Here`s 10 I took today while cutting the lawn.. Shrimp Cocktail if I remember right.
    Here`s 10 I took today while cutting the lawn.. Shrimp Cocktail if I remember right.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice