NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Niall

Clay Lawn fix

When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging it’s the soil under the turf that’s the issue and while you could hollow tine and add a soil sand...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging it’s the soil under the turf that’s the issue and...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. JJ28

Chopping back

Piccies please!
    Piccies please!
    Piccies please!
    Piccies please!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Amy Willshire

Choosing plants

What a lovely garden you're going to have there, and the pond will be great for wildlife.Plant ideas that will provide habitats for wildlife and be good for bees could be Berberis Darwinii,...
    What a lovely garden you're going to have there, and the pond will be great for wildlife.Plant ideas that will provide habitats for wildlife and be good for bees could be Berberis Darwinii, lovely flowers for bees followed by berries, with dense and prickly foliage to provide safe nesting...
    What a lovely garden you're going to have there, and the pond will be great for wildlife.Plant ideas that will provide habitats for wildlife and be good for bees could be Berberis Darwinii, lovely flowers for bees followed by berries, with...
    What a lovely garden you're going to have there, and the pond will be great for wildlife.Plant ideas that will provide habitats for wildlife and be good for bees could be Berberis Darwinii,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Poppy2013

Choosing a climber

Well, being a lover of Clematis that's my recommendation.:ouch1::snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. doubleudee

Chilli seedlngs or not?

Amazon reveals all....................
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. joh98.mac

Chilis are a Disaster Every Year :-(

I won't give up yet. I only want 2 anyway, but my wife's cousin and a couple of people at work are interested in growing there own, so I said I would sow some and any left they can have. I usually...
    I won't give up yet. I only want 2 anyway, but my wife's cousin and a couple of people at work are interested in growing there own, so I said I would sow some and any left they can have. I usually just buy the plants. I have done the same with toms as well, which have germinated really well.Rusty
    I won't give up yet. I only want 2 anyway, but my wife's cousin and a couple of people at work are interested in growing there own, so I said I would sow some and any left they can have. I usually just buy the plants. I have done the same with...
    I won't give up yet. I only want 2 anyway, but my wife's cousin and a couple of people at work are interested in growing there own, so I said I would sow some and any left they can have. I usually...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. The Early Bushman

Chili seedling leaves with brown tips and curling up

The average temp is 15 degrees celsius, on a south facing window sill so they get plenty of light. In regards to watering i have been spraying them with a mist keeping the soil moist really every...
    The average temp is 15 degrees celsius, on a south facing window sill so they get plenty of light. In regards to watering i have been spraying them with a mist keeping the soil moist really every 2 days. I think i might have the same problem then @Scrungee
    The average temp is 15 degrees celsius, on a south facing window sill so they get plenty of light. In regards to watering i have been spraying them with a mist keeping the soil moist really every 2 days. I think i might have the same problem then...
    The average temp is 15 degrees celsius, on a south facing window sill so they get plenty of light. In regards to watering i have been spraying them with a mist keeping the soil moist really every...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Lianne

Cherry Laurel advice needed please!

I would plant a hedge that was narrower than Cherry Laurel - which is a thug. Also, when you cut Laurel (with hedge trimmer) the leaves, being big, go brown at the cut edges. If you cut it by...
    I would plant a hedge that was narrower than Cherry Laurel - which is a thug. Also, when you cut Laurel (with hedge trimmer) the leaves, being big, go brown at the cut edges. If you cut it by "pruning" branches with secateurs that avoids the issue, but its a lot more work (although not really if...
    I would plant a hedge that was narrower than Cherry Laurel - which is a thug. Also, when you cut Laurel (with hedge trimmer) the leaves, being big, go brown at the cut edges. If you cut it by "pruning" branches with secateurs that avoids the...
    I would plant a hedge that was narrower than Cherry Laurel - which is a thug. Also, when you cut Laurel (with hedge trimmer) the leaves, being big, go brown at the cut edges. If you cut it by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Victoria Mitchell

Ceanothus help please

Yes, that's the one. Must be one of the very few occasions when a gardening-related product is cheaper here than there :biggrin: Or it would be if it wasn't for the new customs rules!
    Yes, that's the one. Must be one of the very few occasions when a gardening-related product is cheaper here than there :biggrin: Or it would be if it wasn't for the new customs rules!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. fred lundberg

Cauliflower & Sprout woes :)

They need a bit more space to get a decent sized curd, I'd take some out and eat the leaves as a cabbage. Then in a month or so you should see the curds forming.
    They need a bit more space to get a decent sized curd, I'd take some out and eat the leaves as a cabbage. Then in a month or so you should see the curds forming.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. B_leaf

Caring for Acers

Hi B-leaf, can I ask are your Acers in the ground or in large pots and what are the variety names?. There is a slight difference in how you would care for those in soil or those in pots. It...
    Hi B-leaf, can I ask are your Acers in the ground or in large pots and what are the variety names?. There is a slight difference in how you would care for those in soil or those in pots. It sounds like you're doing all the right things anyway as they seem to be in good condition. Acers don't...
    Hi B-leaf, can I ask are your Acers in the ground or in large pots and what are the variety names?. There is a slight difference in how you would care for those in soil or those in pots. It sounds like you're doing all the right things anyway as...
    Hi B-leaf, can I ask are your Acers in the ground or in large pots and what are the variety names?. There is a slight difference in how you would care for those in soil or those in pots. It...
    upload_2020-7-23_0-31-29.png upload_2020-7-23_0-34-9.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Scoffy

Cardboard in compost

I use lots of cardboard in my compost heaps, in layers along with plenty of green stuff.
    I use lots of cardboard in my compost heaps, in layers along with plenty of green stuff.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. RoryG

Cardboard around raspberry canes.

I don’t like any inorganic method of mulching. Not keen either on the ubiquitous weed suppressing membranes for the same reason....viz., soil is deprived of life and air. :)
    I don’t like any inorganic method of mulching. Not keen either on the ubiquitous weed suppressing membranes for the same reason....viz., soil is deprived of life and air. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. enginestar

Cardboard (to get rid of weed) + add woodchip on top?

B&Q sell bags of bark chippings especially for play areas etc. They also do them in different colours eg brown/orange/red/green.
    B&Q sell bags of bark chippings especially for play areas etc. They also do them in different colours eg brown/orange/red/green.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. olibongo

cape gooseberry

no non what's so ever
    no non what's so ever
    no non what's so ever
    no non what's so ever
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fyfy K

Can you plant things under a leylandii hedge?

Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does well under it but needs some light from one side, which is what it should be getting if it's a...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does well under it but needs some light from one side,...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Scrimmers

Can you help me identify these plants?

Welcome to GC heevan. The plant above is Hibiscus and they prefer full sun. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kon

Can pine bark chips attract flies?

We need an exact number count to tell you if the chippings are attracting the gnats or not! :roflol:Seriously tho, I think it's just a coincidence, :)Nick
    We need an exact number count to tell you if the chippings are attracting the gnats or not! :roflol:Seriously tho, I think it's just a coincidence, :)Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. doubleudee

Can I use the ash left over from the barbie?

I used to put all barbeque ash in the compost bin. There was enough creepy crawlies going through that stuff to avoid a mass extinction event. Not so much nowadays.....have a gas bbq
    I used to put all barbeque ash in the compost bin. There was enough creepy crawlies going through that stuff to avoid a mass extinction event. Not so much nowadays.....have a gas bbq
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JohnD

Can i use 100% vermicompost for seedlings

French Lavender grown from seed in a 8.5cm pot.I don't want to contradict the advice already given above because it is good general advice, however, it is possible to propagate plants from...
    French Lavender grown from seed in a 8.5cm pot.I don't want to contradict the advice already given above because it is good general advice, however, it is possible to propagate plants from seed sown directly into vermicompost (aka worm-made compost).I haven't tried it for lavender but it...
    French Lavender grown from seed in a 8.5cm pot.I don't want to contradict the advice already given above because it is good general advice, however, it is possible to propagate plants from seed sown directly into vermicompost (aka worm-made...
    French Lavender grown from seed in a 8.5cm pot.I don't want to contradict the advice already given above because it is good general advice, however, it is possible to propagate plants from...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice