1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Sally Parker

Will they be ok???

Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up!
    Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. DMC611

Laying New Turf

Hi,Am no lawn laying expert, but your front is clearly a mature one, so your soil will probably be good enough as it is.If you push your spade right in, if it is still similar soil 9" down ...
    Hi,Am no lawn laying expert, but your front is clearly a mature one, so your soil will probably be good enough as it is.If you push your spade right in, if it is still similar soil 9" down then that should be fine ; if you have you a lot of clay or flints just below the surface thats a...
    Hi,Am no lawn laying expert, but your front is clearly a mature one, so your soil will probably be good enough as it is.If you push your spade right in, if it is still similar soil 9" down then that should be fine ; if you have you a lot of...
    Hi,Am no lawn laying expert, but your front is clearly a mature one, so your soil will probably be good enough as it is.If you push your spade right in, if it is still similar soil 9" down ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Andrewrew

Planting near a drain

So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the...
    So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the same side of the garden as the drain for some balance.
    So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the same side of the garden as the drain for some...
    So seems like if I plant the trees on the opposite side from the drain they will be okay. What about the bushes, would their roots be strong enough to damage a drain? I'd like to plant them on the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Stigofthe

Rose advice please

Thanks. I'll read up on this .
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Ron Miel

Container growing

Thank you for the information. I've got some tomatoes and potatoes growing in large pots and they seem to be doing nicely.My cabbages and onions didn't do so well, but it's shown me what not to...
    Thank you for the information. I've got some tomatoes and potatoes growing in large pots and they seem to be doing nicely.My cabbages and onions didn't do so well, but it's shown me what not to do. I've started again, and perhaps it will be better this time.
    Thank you for the information. I've got some tomatoes and potatoes growing in large pots and they seem to be doing nicely.My cabbages and onions didn't do so well, but it's shown me what not to do. I've started again, and perhaps it will be...
    Thank you for the information. I've got some tomatoes and potatoes growing in large pots and they seem to be doing nicely.My cabbages and onions didn't do so well, but it's shown me what not to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Richard Whitney

Attempting to make a new flower bed!

Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout...
    Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout the top soil. Take your time ....its all so worthwhile :)
    Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout the top soil. Take your time ....its all so worthwhile :)
    Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Kharri999

Trachycarpus brown leaves

Thanks for the reply I'll keep an eye on it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Joel lee Davies

New project

I'm in South Wales garden faces south west and no photos yet, as I haven't had time
    I'm in South Wales garden faces south west and no photos yet, as I haven't had time
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Keith Thomas

Garden fence advice

I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think...
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think everything should be ok in wet ground as far as I can see from the reading I've done.Cheers Keith
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think everything should be ok in wet ground as far as I...
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. 2nd_bassoon

Leggy seedlings - light issues

I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed set-up, so I'll have to work out a way of setting up lights without a sturdy base. I assume just...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed set-up, so I'll have to work out a way of setting up...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. "M"

Hollyhock advice, please.

Now is the perfect time to transplant them. Unless it's a really harsh Winter they should keep their younger leaves. Rust is an airborne fungus so there's nothing you can really do to prevent it.
    Now is the perfect time to transplant them. Unless it's a really harsh Winter they should keep their younger leaves. Rust is an airborne fungus so there's nothing you can really do to prevent it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. HMcT

rescued Choisia

I'm in Doncaster The shrub wasn't growing and leaves were turning brown. Can you give me any tips on replanting? Is it hole slightly deeper and wider than pot, then do I mix multipurpose compost...
    I'm in Doncaster The shrub wasn't growing and leaves were turning brown. Can you give me any tips on replanting? Is it hole slightly deeper and wider than pot, then do I mix multipurpose compost in hole.:sad:
    I'm in Doncaster The shrub wasn't growing and leaves were turning brown. Can you give me any tips on replanting? Is it hole slightly deeper and wider than pot, then do I mix multipurpose compost in hole.:sad:
    I'm in Doncaster The shrub wasn't growing and leaves were turning brown. Can you give me any tips on replanting? Is it hole slightly deeper and wider than pot, then do I mix multipurpose compost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Thomas2525

First plants

Thank u pal:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. LisaG73

Needing some advice

Hiya No expert as only working on bonsai myself for a couple of years but like you I adore WIsteria as a subject & you truly have been very fortunate in getting that one so cheap - I paid £40 +...
    Hiya No expert as only working on bonsai myself for a couple of years but like you I adore WIsteria as a subject & you truly have been very fortunate in getting that one so cheap - I paid £40 + postage for an air-layered 4-yo shrub that's a long way off flowering & I thought I was doing well...
    Hiya No expert as only working on bonsai myself for a couple of years but like you I adore WIsteria as a subject & you truly have been very fortunate in getting that one so cheap - I paid £40 + postage for an air-layered 4-yo shrub that's a long...
    Hiya No expert as only working on bonsai myself for a couple of years but like you I adore WIsteria as a subject & you truly have been very fortunate in getting that one so cheap - I paid £40 +...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. demag

Rescuing my garden.

Can we see some photos so we can get an idea of what you're working with? You may get some suggestions if you post some. :)
    Can we see some photos so we can get an idea of what you're working with? You may get some suggestions if you post some. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Capo

Newbie needs help identifying plant and what to do with it.

Thanks for the reply Nigel, I shall get snipping. There are loads of weeds growing in amongst them so once they've been dealt with I can see what else is under there!Sent from my iPhone using...
    Thanks for the reply Nigel, I shall get snipping. There are loads of weeds growing in amongst them so once they've been dealt with I can see what else is under there!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply Nigel, I shall get snipping. There are loads of weeds growing in amongst them so once they've been dealt with I can see what else is under there!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply Nigel, I shall get snipping. There are loads of weeds growing in amongst them so once they've been dealt with I can see what else is under there!Sent from my iPhone using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. cathymoon

Newbie - Various questions

I was really hoping to be able to get more than one leek per bucket, mostly because I don't have much space. I'll start cleaning the tires, and hardening the leeks. I actually hadn't thought about...
    I was really hoping to be able to get more than one leek per bucket, mostly because I don't have much space. I'll start cleaning the tires, and hardening the leeks. I actually hadn't thought about the tires for the leeks, just for the tomatoes, but it will work too, thanks.I actually was...
    I was really hoping to be able to get more than one leek per bucket, mostly because I don't have much space. I'll start cleaning the tires, and hardening the leeks. I actually hadn't thought about the tires for the leeks, just for the tomatoes,...
    I was really hoping to be able to get more than one leek per bucket, mostly because I don't have much space. I'll start cleaning the tires, and hardening the leeks. I actually hadn't thought about...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Dave-Hyatt

Lawn issues

Brilliant, thanks for the reply :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. paul-kent

What to put where

Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough rinsing), before drilling drainage holes into them and then filling up for growing in. I use them for...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough rinsing), before drilling drainage holes into them and...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. BeeHappy
    Like x 5

GC GARDEN BOOK CLUB : 0)

@Lynd :ThankYou:for the recommendation :thumbsup: good to have a book planned for the winter months will put this on my list of Library loans
    @Lynd :ThankYou:for the recommendation :thumbsup: good to have a book planned for the winter months will put this on my list of Library loans
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice