NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Adam D

Buddliea help needed

Scratch that,Just realised I have the chip version with grows to two Feet Buzz grows to five feet.So much to this gardening lark.
    Scratch that,Just realised I have the chip version with grows to two Feet Buzz grows to five feet.So much to this gardening lark.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Keith Thomas

Garden fence advice

I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think...
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think everything should be ok in wet ground as far as I can see from the reading I've done.Cheers Keith
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think everything should be ok in wet ground as far as I...
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wren1

Identification help

Thanks! Googled it, looks like I chose a hard one to care for...damn!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. docjohn

Unhappy Nellie Moser

It looks really burnt and unhappy.As you have only planted it this year, think I would first chop all the top growth off, down to about 1ft high, then water the plant and let it soak in for...
    It looks really burnt and unhappy.As you have only planted it this year, think I would first chop all the top growth off, down to about 1ft high, then water the plant and let it soak in for half a hour, then carefully dig around it with a trowel /spade and lift it out and replant in a shadier...
    It looks really burnt and unhappy.As you have only planted it this year, think I would first chop all the top growth off, down to about 1ft high, then water the plant and let it soak in for half a hour, then carefully dig around it with a...
    It looks really burnt and unhappy.As you have only planted it this year, think I would first chop all the top growth off, down to about 1ft high, then water the plant and let it soak in for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. CallumP

Garden Advice

Sorry about the very basic colours etc., but this might give you a better idea of what I meant, above :) The blue rectangle is some form of storage for tools. If it's less than pretty, it could be...
    Sorry about the very basic colours etc., but this might give you a better idea of what I meant, above :) The blue rectangle is some form of storage for tools. If it's less than pretty, it could be tucked in nearer the house and a striking plant used as the focal point at the end.
    Sorry about the very basic colours etc., but this might give you a better idea of what I meant, above :) The blue rectangle is some form of storage for tools. If it's less than pretty, it could be tucked in nearer the house and a striking plant...
    Sorry about the very basic colours etc., but this might give you a better idea of what I meant, above :) The blue rectangle is some form of storage for tools. If it's less than pretty, it could be...
    Garden Back View.jpg Garden Back 1.jpg Grass Close Up.jpg Narrow garden.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Chris123

Bark treatment

Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a...
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a lovely tree.Lets hope nature sorts it.
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a lovely tree.Lets hope nature sorts it.
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. portoman

Attack of the Lawn Toadstools!

Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. bigbore

borders with bulbs

I usually get two years from Tulips planted in deep pots but not as much luck in a border even when just as deep. Don't know why!
    I usually get two years from Tulips planted in deep pots but not as much luck in a border even when just as deep. Don't know why!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. EmmaJane

Primroses/Evening Primroses - Any and all help much appreciated

Thank you very much Pete - I will leave them all where they are and give the evening variety some time to settle in. Thanks for clarifying what's what with primroses, I was getting lost :)
    Thank you very much Pete - I will leave them all where they are and give the evening variety some time to settle in. Thanks for clarifying what's what with primroses, I was getting lost :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ThePlantAssassin

Phlox variety please

Ok well Ive just learnt to do cartwheels as nothing this good EVER happens to me. In fact I have my own personal little rain cloud that follows me around. Broke my sulk and popped to the local GC...
    Ok well Ive just learnt to do cartwheels as nothing this good EVER happens to me. In fact I have my own personal little rain cloud that follows me around. Broke my sulk and popped to the local GC and guess what I found???? And at £2.69 each and already a foot tall!!! Some things are just meant...
    Ok well Ive just learnt to do cartwheels as nothing this good EVER happens to me. In fact I have my own personal little rain cloud that follows me around. Broke my sulk and popped to the local GC and guess what I found???? And at £2.69 each and...
    Ok well Ive just learnt to do cartwheels as nothing this good EVER happens to me. In fact I have my own personal little rain cloud that follows me around. Broke my sulk and popped to the local GC...
    20190714_083725.jpg 20190714_114346.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. vadiro

Raspberry issues

Thank for the advice. I think I am going to do as NigelJ suggested for now, and I will see in the autumn what's going to be next.
    Thank for the advice. I think I am going to do as NigelJ suggested for now, and I will see in the autumn what's going to be next.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Auntpol

When to tie in new climbing roses?

Hi Everyone, I purchased some climbing roses (gardeners glory) to hopefully cover a 12ft x 6ft trellis. They were planted in march and are now just about knee height with several branches. I...
    Hi Everyone, I purchased some climbing roses (gardeners glory) to hopefully cover a 12ft x 6ft trellis. They were planted in march and are now just about knee height with several branches. I just don't know at what point I am supposed to tie in the branches. Can anyone help please? ...
    Hi Everyone, I purchased some climbing roses (gardeners glory) to hopefully cover a 12ft x 6ft trellis. They were planted in march and are now just about knee height with several branches. I just don't know at what point I am supposed to...
    Hi Everyone, I purchased some climbing roses (gardeners glory) to hopefully cover a 12ft x 6ft trellis. They were planted in march and are now just about knee height with several branches. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Guy Greening

Any ideas about a palm tree and some frost

iv grown loads of them brown ones on the past few go yellow then brown trust me iv gota garden full of them if you want any let me no
    iv grown loads of them brown ones on the past few go yellow then brown trust me iv gota garden full of them if you want any let me no
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Sunny-Mac

Steep garden advice.

Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've prepared the soil thoroughly and then planted through membrane. Bark, though, will tend to travel...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've prepared the soil thoroughly and then planted...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. BabyBee

Should I cover the roots of my roses?

Thanks for your advice! I'll check them tomorrow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Terry O'Leary
    Like x 3

Matted roots roller

Hi Terry and welcome aboard :sign0016:I've given your post a like to help you on the way to being able to post pictures for the experts to see what you are dealing with. If that fails, just say and I...
    Hi Terry and welcome aboard :sign0016:I've given your post a like to help you on the way to being able to post pictures for the experts to see what you are dealing with. If that fails, just say and I will PM you my email address and then post a pic on your behalf.Good luck with your new home, and...
    Hi Terry and welcome aboard :sign0016:I've given your post a like to help you on the way to being able to post pictures for the experts to see what you are dealing with. If that fails, just say and I will PM you my email address and then post a pic on...
    Hi Terry and welcome aboard :sign0016:I've given your post a like to help you on the way to being able to post pictures for the experts to see what you are dealing with. If that fails, just say and I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. jay aylmer

EVERYTHING IS DYING... what did I do??..... :(

First photo looks like a bad case of Flea Beetle, there are sprays you could use on edible crops but they need using with caution like all chemicals.Second photo: I'm not 100% certain but that...
    First photo looks like a bad case of Flea Beetle, there are sprays you could use on edible crops but they need using with caution like all chemicals.Second photo: I'm not 100% certain but that could be potato blight - would need a closer photo of the leaves and stems, this only affects...
    First photo looks like a bad case of Flea Beetle, there are sprays you could use on edible crops but they need using with caution like all chemicals.Second photo: I'm not 100% certain but that could be potato blight - would need a closer photo...
    First photo looks like a bad case of Flea Beetle, there are sprays you could use on edible crops but they need using with caution like all chemicals.Second photo: I'm not 100% certain but that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. wren1

Skimmia disease

Urgh! I did have a go at just wiping them off with my hand (gloves on obvs)! Is the only way to use to pesticides?
    Urgh! I did have a go at just wiping them off with my hand (gloves on obvs)! Is the only way to use to pesticides?
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Ellenwarren321

Weed or plant please help

Brilliant thank you
    Brilliant thank you
    Brilliant thank you
    Brilliant thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. tangham

Help with Paniculata cuttings.

Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large amount of callus which prohibits rooting.Incitement for root production is initiated as soon as a stem...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large amount of callus which prohibits rooting.Incitement...
    Quick google search thanks Pete.Root callusing in cuttings What causes root callusing? Why is it that some in some varieties some of the cuttings root readily while others develop a large...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice