NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Stanley2

Planting Nerine Bowdenii

Been transplanting some of mine in the last week. Neck and shoulders of the bulb above ground and you're good to go
    Been transplanting some of mine in the last week. Neck and shoulders of the bulb above ground and you're good to go
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Gee

Help with installing a garden arch

Thanks, that sounds a plan. I'll track down some 5mm timber/plastic. I don't fancy the concreting route unless I really need to. Never done it before.
    Thanks, that sounds a plan. I'll track down some 5mm timber/plastic. I don't fancy the concreting route unless I really need to. Never done it before.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Lee Hughes

Acer advice

Yep will do thank you for the advice :ThankYou:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. gillybean

New begonia

Your Begonia is a house plant Begonia Elatior and is ideal for a bright window sill. It has small split canes for supporting the branches. As Jenny said, they can have a weekly (tomato) feed to...
    Your Begonia is a house plant Begonia Elatior and is ideal for a bright window sill. It has small split canes for supporting the branches. As Jenny said, they can have a weekly (tomato) feed to encourage flowering. It would be ok outside while the nights are warm but I think they are best...
    Your Begonia is a house plant Begonia Elatior and is ideal for a bright window sill. It has small split canes for supporting the branches. As Jenny said, they can have a weekly (tomato) feed to encourage flowering. It would be ok outside while...
    Your Begonia is a house plant Begonia Elatior and is ideal for a bright window sill. It has small split canes for supporting the branches. As Jenny said, they can have a weekly (tomato) feed to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Appleblossom31
    Like x 9

My garden was derelict at Easter

It looks lovely :) well done!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NeilDeWheel

What's this climber?

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear it's a squash. I assume that means it's edible?
    Thanks for the replies. Good to hear it's a squash. I assume that means it's edible?
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. BrisOxSophie

Balcony planting

Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a male one is local (that's a long shot on a balcony!)...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    DSC_0043.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. William Francis

Oh dear!?

We used to have moles so we planted some wild garlic, so far no molesJiffy don't temp fate
    We used to have moles so we planted some wild garlic, so far no molesJiffy don't temp fate
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. MargaretW

Where to begin!!

Hi @MargaretW and welcome! It could be that your patio had dropped slightly in that one corner. or that it was getting run off from an adjacent area - if the soil was compacted then that could...
    Hi @MargaretW and welcome! It could be that your patio had dropped slightly in that one corner. or that it was getting run off from an adjacent area - if the soil was compacted then that could occur. Wait for the next downpour and see what happens - where it pools, how fast it drains etc. If it...
    Hi @MargaretW and welcome! It could be that your patio had dropped slightly in that one corner. or that it was getting run off from an adjacent area - if the soil was compacted then that could occur. Wait for the next downpour and see what...
    Hi @MargaretW and welcome! It could be that your patio had dropped slightly in that one corner. or that it was getting run off from an adjacent area - if the soil was compacted then that could...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. paul-kent

Is this okay

Just dont think parsnips are suited to container growing. But never tried myself, so just guessing. As far as I know there are no varieties of parsnip intended for container growing as such,...
    Just dont think parsnips are suited to container growing. But never tried myself, so just guessing. As far as I know there are no varieties of parsnip intended for container growing as such, unlike carrots.
    Just dont think parsnips are suited to container growing. But never tried myself, so just guessing. As far as I know there are no varieties of parsnip intended for container growing as such, unlike carrots.
    Just dont think parsnips are suited to container growing. But never tried myself, so just guessing. As far as I know there are no varieties of parsnip intended for container growing as such,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. herriotfan

Greenhouse site?

Thanks. We've talked it over and have decided to compromise on the size and have a gap between our fence and the greenhouse. Like you mentioned John, hubby pointed out that there needs to be room...
    Thanks. We've talked it over and have decided to compromise on the size and have a gap between our fence and the greenhouse. Like you mentioned John, hubby pointed out that there needs to be room for maintenance etc. Looks like something smaller but that's better than nothing!
    Thanks. We've talked it over and have decided to compromise on the size and have a gap between our fence and the greenhouse. Like you mentioned John, hubby pointed out that there needs to be room for maintenance etc. Looks like something...
    Thanks. We've talked it over and have decided to compromise on the size and have a gap between our fence and the greenhouse. Like you mentioned John, hubby pointed out that there needs to be room...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. PaulD_99

Looking for plant recommendation for outside pot

Hello, welcome to GC :) You don't say whether the pot is in sun or shade, but here are a few ideas for either: Euonymous fortunei, Hebe, Nandina domestica 'Firepower', dwarf Pittosporum tobira,...
    Hello, welcome to GC :) You don't say whether the pot is in sun or shade, but here are a few ideas for either: Euonymous fortunei, Hebe, Nandina domestica 'Firepower', dwarf Pittosporum tobira, Convolvulus cneorum, dwarf Photinia, Hedera 'Glacier' trained on a frame, HTH!
    Hello, welcome to GC :) You don't say whether the pot is in sun or shade, but here are a few ideas for either: Euonymous fortunei, Hebe, Nandina domestica 'Firepower', dwarf Pittosporum tobira, Convolvulus cneorum, dwarf Photinia, Hedera...
    Hello, welcome to GC :) You don't say whether the pot is in sun or shade, but here are a few ideas for either: Euonymous fortunei, Hebe, Nandina domestica 'Firepower', dwarf Pittosporum tobira,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. portoman

In a planter - should I cut holes above the drainage hole?

I use broken up polystyrene in the bottom of planters and big pots to aid drainage and in order to aid water retention in summer I mix in water retention granules with the compost.
    I use broken up polystyrene in the bottom of planters and big pots to aid drainage and in order to aid water retention in summer I mix in water retention granules with the compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sk1pr@
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ThePlantAssassin

Genitan. Ive killed it....can I save it?

I meant Gentian of course! Ive no idea which one. It just says gentian. its this one, I took the photo when I first got it
    I meant Gentian of course! Ive no idea which one. It just says gentian. its this one, I took the photo when I first got it
    20190601_092819a.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Aimi

Dahlias

Probably not tall varieties, the label lied;) Not unusual. They might have been treated to dwarf them but I wouldn't have thought so.
    Probably not tall varieties, the label lied;) Not unusual. They might have been treated to dwarf them but I wouldn't have thought so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. EdenG

Help with this plant please.

It looks like a Japanese Anenome EdenG...Just cut back the brown stems to the base and I'm sure it will shoot up new stems when it's ready to flower again:blue thumb:
    It looks like a Japanese Anenome EdenG...Just cut back the brown stems to the base and I'm sure it will shoot up new stems when it's ready to flower again:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Luke1989

Help me please

Interesting stuff about it here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Andrew Dunbar

Help with new lawn

I wouldn't recommend this on a new lawn usually but I suggest you put down a weed killer (not a weed and feed) before attempting to make the lawn good. I think it has to be left a minimum of six...
    I wouldn't recommend this on a new lawn usually but I suggest you put down a weed killer (not a weed and feed) before attempting to make the lawn good. I think it has to be left a minimum of six weeks before you can progress.After treating it I would then rake loose the bare patches and...
    I wouldn't recommend this on a new lawn usually but I suggest you put down a weed killer (not a weed and feed) before attempting to make the lawn good. I think it has to be left a minimum of six weeks before you can progress.After treating it I...
    I wouldn't recommend this on a new lawn usually but I suggest you put down a weed killer (not a weed and feed) before attempting to make the lawn good. I think it has to be left a minimum of six...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Liam Goodaire

Bedding flowers

Wow! Cheers! I like the look of the Geranium varieties, I will look into those this evening. The soil can be pretty much anything as I've cleared out the beds from the previous owners as there was...
    Wow! Cheers! I like the look of the Geranium varieties, I will look into those this evening. The soil can be pretty much anything as I've cleared out the beds from the previous owners as there was a lot of weeds and horrible bark. I was thinking a mixture of top soil which I have spare from the...
    Wow! Cheers! I like the look of the Geranium varieties, I will look into those this evening. The soil can be pretty much anything as I've cleared out the beds from the previous owners as there was a lot of weeds and horrible bark. I was thinking...
    Wow! Cheers! I like the look of the Geranium varieties, I will look into those this evening. The soil can be pretty much anything as I've cleared out the beds from the previous owners as there was...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice