NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. wanoennogs

What to get

Welcome to GC wanoennogs. :)I think perhaps it would be a good idea to work through your list first and establish what we should suggest.Many plants are just one colour. Would your mum be...
    Welcome to GC wanoennogs. :)I think perhaps it would be a good idea to work through your list first and establish what we should suggest.Many plants are just one colour. Would your mum be happy with mixing the same plant together in different colours? Or does she want different species...
    Welcome to GC wanoennogs. :)I think perhaps it would be a good idea to work through your list first and establish what we should suggest.Many plants are just one colour. Would your mum be happy with mixing the same plant together in different...
    Welcome to GC wanoennogs. :)I think perhaps it would be a good idea to work through your list first and establish what we should suggest.Many plants are just one colour. Would your mum be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. hom

What to do?

Hello hom and welcome to GC. Your spiky-leaved plant is a palm tree. Probably Trachycarpus, which is fairly hardy in the UK, but he's not a happy bunny judging by the photo. I'll leave it to...
    Hello hom and welcome to GC. Your spiky-leaved plant is a palm tree. Probably Trachycarpus, which is fairly hardy in the UK, but he's not a happy bunny judging by the photo. I'll leave it to @Kristen to advise on his care! The second photo is Bergenia, or Elephant's Ears. They'd appreciate...
    Hello hom and welcome to GC. Your spiky-leaved plant is a palm tree. Probably Trachycarpus, which is fairly hardy in the UK, but he's not a happy bunny judging by the photo. I'll leave it to @Kristen to advise on his care! The second photo is...
    Hello hom and welcome to GC. Your spiky-leaved plant is a palm tree. Probably Trachycarpus, which is fairly hardy in the UK, but he's not a happy bunny judging by the photo. I'll leave it to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ridgiemum

what to do....

thank you. and yours? Golden retrievers?
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. sandhun

What to do with ugly border at end of the garden

The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer and a climbing Hydrenagea however most of the fence is still visible. I've recently emptied this...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer and a climbing Hydrenagea however most of the...
    The border at the back of the garden is in full sun for around 2 hours per day and after that, it's in shade for the remainder of the day. Since staring this thread I have planted a Rhodo, an Acer...
    IMG_6115.JPG IMG_6116.JPG DSC_4598.jpg P1060581.JPG P1060576.JPG P1060572.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Rikki McNeill

What to do with this??

@Rikki McNeill Down near Stansted airport - so you can fly down :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. thesasgeek

What to do with this soil?

Just as here ,
    Just as here ,
    Just as here ,
    Just as here ,
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Matthew Rosen-Marsh

What to do with old soil

I just tip mine on top of the borders. If space is an issue just be aware that adding kitchen remains will eventually just give you greater bulk to get rid of.
    I just tip mine on top of the borders. If space is an issue just be aware that adding kitchen remains will eventually just give you greater bulk to get rid of.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Steve R
    Like x 17

What to do in your garden right now..!

Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any advice re trimming as I've no experience with plants...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. jumanji

What to do here before winter...

empty fountains. bag all outside cushions tuck inside gazebo, get cat house organized with heater, and water bowl with heater, take inside plants inside, replant any bulbs that was thinned...
    empty fountains. bag all outside cushions tuck inside gazebo, get cat house organized with heater, and water bowl with heater, take inside plants inside, replant any bulbs that was thinned earlier, use up some mulch. put grill away, set up Christmas lights. rake leaves, rake more leaves, ...
    empty fountains. bag all outside cushions tuck inside gazebo, get cat house organized with heater, and water bowl with heater, take inside plants inside, replant any bulbs that was thinned earlier, use up some mulch. put grill away, set up...
    empty fountains. bag all outside cushions tuck inside gazebo, get cat house organized with heater, and water bowl with heater, take inside plants inside, replant any bulbs that was thinned...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Appleblossom31

What to climb with my ivy on trees??

Thanks for the climber idea.. Something for me to think about
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. GaGa73

What spray is best to use on tomato and cucumber plants?

That's great news, thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. GaGa73

What size pot for pepper plants?

That looks perfect, I would pot on gradually as you are doing. Putting any plant into too big a pot can slow it down.
    That looks perfect, I would pot on gradually as you are doing. Putting any plant into too big a pot can slow it down.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Maia

What should I do with these three plants?

Good morning @Maia my friend I think it was our illustrious friend and colleague @Fat Controller ,but if it was me it was by accident:heehee:
    Good morning @Maia my friend I think it was our illustrious friend and colleague @Fat Controller ,but if it was me it was by accident:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. NorthantsGeezer

What should I do with these please?

So, it now looks like this. Unforked and then forked over, prior to watering :)
    IMG_00000019.jpg IMG_00000032.jpg IMG_00000034.jpg IMG_00000037.jpg IMG_00000038.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kevin Cowans

What plants to use to cover Drain Cover in border?

How about a perennial such as Cerastium Tomentosum. It grows fairly quickly and is easy to keep in check. White flowers in Spring and then occasionally in Summer but lovely felty siver foliage...
    How about a perennial such as Cerastium Tomentosum. It grows fairly quickly and is easy to keep in check. White flowers in Spring and then occasionally in Summer but lovely felty siver foliage all year round.You can grow other plants through it, we have Roses, Euonymous, Pieris, Alyssum...
    How about a perennial such as Cerastium Tomentosum. It grows fairly quickly and is easy to keep in check. White flowers in Spring and then occasionally in Summer but lovely felty siver foliage all year round.You can grow other plants...
    How about a perennial such as Cerastium Tomentosum. It grows fairly quickly and is easy to keep in check. White flowers in Spring and then occasionally in Summer but lovely felty siver foliage...
    2018-06-26 09.55.16.jpg 20180626_102821.jpg P1010731.JPG P1010730.JPG 23.JPG upload_2018-6-26_19-32-46.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Scattyjan

What plants and flowers are best to attract bees and butterflies?

Bees are in trouble largely due to the neonic insecticides. The two year ban has stupidly been lifted by the government. All the above suggestions are good but bees are in particular need of...
    Bees are in trouble largely due to the neonic insecticides. The two year ban has stupidly been lifted by the government. All the above suggestions are good but bees are in particular need of the nectar in the autumn and early spring, when they are less active but on those mild days when the...
    Bees are in trouble largely due to the neonic insecticides. The two year ban has stupidly been lifted by the government. All the above suggestions are good but bees are in particular need of the nectar in the autumn and early spring, when they...
    Bees are in trouble largely due to the neonic insecticides. The two year ban has stupidly been lifted by the government. All the above suggestions are good but bees are in particular need of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Stu66

What plant is this?

Mine are more 'spanish looking' however they do have scent and have white varients amongst them which I like very much
    Mine are more 'spanish looking' however they do have scent and have white varients amongst them which I like very much
    20220423_191135[1964].jpg DSC_0051.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kyle zillion

What pepper/chillies are these? HELP!!

Whatever they are the look good
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. lizzerti

What on earth is it?

Come on John , lets have the naughty names ! We are all over 18 .:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. enginestar

What length rake do I need?

Ha ha, never thought about burglars. Good lateral thinking :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice