1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. wren1

Pinching out seedlings

Thanks. So much to learn! I have been 'gardening' since last summer but did not know about pinching. That might explain a few things!
    Thanks. So much to learn! I have been 'gardening' since last summer but did not know about pinching. That might explain a few things!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Kevin Cowans

Perennial Trailing Plants for use in 12" Wall Baskets?

All the ones I recommended are hardy perennials @Kevin Cowans.. I don't recommend hardy fuchsias as they die back to twigs every winter..
    All the ones I recommended are hardy perennials @Kevin Cowans.. I don't recommend hardy fuchsias as they die back to twigs every winter..
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. "M"

Poinsettia advice please.

Well done Trunky, :dbgrtmb: A gold star for that I think. :star:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Nicola123

Zero experience and have a really basic question about soil

Thanks so much. I’ve planted up now so I’ll post a photo soon. This forum has been so helpful and supportive. Xx
    Thanks so much. I’ve planted up now so I’ll post a photo soon. This forum has been so helpful and supportive. Xx
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Dips

Whats going on with my Alliums?

Hee hee, that's what I was thinking when I read the problem. Waitrose problery did make a mistake (or whoever they buy them from)
    Hee hee, that's what I was thinking when I read the problem. Waitrose problery did make a mistake (or whoever they buy them from)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. icehockeyuk

This is probably a stupid question, but.... Are Wargrave Pink (Hardy Geranium) a weed?

Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. ...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. The final answer rests with YOU. Do you like it or hate it? Example. The cranesbill family is...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. The final answer rests with YOU. Do you like it...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Lone Northern Lass

How much root do I need to dig up to stop unwanted ash trees growing back?

They used to suggest mixing SBK with diesel. I don't think they do any more. Pretty nasty way of going about it environmentally. Not 100% sure but I don't think ash suckers, so if you get the...
    They used to suggest mixing SBK with diesel. I don't think they do any more. Pretty nasty way of going about it environmentally. Not 100% sure but I don't think ash suckers, so if you get the main stem and immediate roots the rest will just rot.
    They used to suggest mixing SBK with diesel. I don't think they do any more. Pretty nasty way of going about it environmentally. Not 100% sure but I don't think ash suckers, so if you get the main stem and immediate roots the rest will just rot.
    They used to suggest mixing SBK with diesel. I don't think they do any more. Pretty nasty way of going about it environmentally. Not 100% sure but I don't think ash suckers, so if you get the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Auntpol

Help please. Petunias and grow lights

I think I'm still going to try and see how the collected seeds turn out but will also buy some seeds as a backup.Thanks to everyone who helped - very much appreciated.
    I think I'm still going to try and see how the collected seeds turn out but will also buy some seeds as a backup.Thanks to everyone who helped - very much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. FlourishAnn
    Like x 3

5 tips for begginers

I totally agree on this mate...it is every one to their own because if all gardens was identical it would be a boring experience :yikes:
    I totally agree on this mate...it is every one to their own because if all gardens was identical it would be a boring experience :yikes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. talbius

Help with leaning Yucca

I'd leave it alone, it matches the lean on the silver birch on the right of photo. If it really does bother you then you could straighten it but not at this time of year, wait till winter. It's...
    I'd leave it alone, it matches the lean on the silver birch on the right of photo. If it really does bother you then you could straighten it but not at this time of year, wait till winter. It's something I've done with a windswept one in my garden. They take a year or two to recover provided you...
    I'd leave it alone, it matches the lean on the silver birch on the right of photo. If it really does bother you then you could straighten it but not at this time of year, wait till winter. It's something I've done with a windswept one in my...
    I'd leave it alone, it matches the lean on the silver birch on the right of photo. If it really does bother you then you could straighten it but not at this time of year, wait till winter. It's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kelc

Help needed please

Thankyou I will certainly go look for that book now
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steven342

Garden Sloping towards house

Depends on the angle of the slope, mine seems pretty steep being on the side of a hill and when our kids were younger I had to take care where I put the greenhouse etc as they would come hurtling...
    Depends on the angle of the slope, mine seems pretty steep being on the side of a hill and when our kids were younger I had to take care where I put the greenhouse etc as they would come hurtling down on their trikes. I've added a couple of terraces over the years so we now have flat areas to...
    Depends on the angle of the slope, mine seems pretty steep being on the side of a hill and when our kids were younger I had to take care where I put the greenhouse etc as they would come hurtling down on their trikes. I've added a couple of...
    Depends on the angle of the slope, mine seems pretty steep being on the side of a hill and when our kids were younger I had to take care where I put the greenhouse etc as they would come hurtling...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Kiss_The_Alderman

Novice Gardener - Unhappy Lavender

No over watering mate as they love heat :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Diwrnach

Really need some advice please :)

On the contrary, my understanding was that it is safe to compost dead weeds after treating them with Roundup because it doesn't persist (unlike Aminopyralid and Clopyralid) I asked because I...
    On the contrary, my understanding was that it is safe to compost dead weeds after treating them with Roundup because it doesn't persist (unlike Aminopyralid and Clopyralid) I asked because I thought you might have a different reason - e.g. seeds on the (killed) weeds, or parts of roots, that...
    On the contrary, my understanding was that it is safe to compost dead weeds after treating them with Roundup because it doesn't persist (unlike Aminopyralid and Clopyralid) I asked because I thought you might have a different reason - e.g....
    On the contrary, my understanding was that it is safe to compost dead weeds after treating them with Roundup because it doesn't persist (unlike Aminopyralid and Clopyralid) I asked because I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. sunflower50

Uneven and overgrown garden advice needed

If choosing the curvy bark path route and using cheap timber edgings such as slats from pallets, making vertical saw cuts on the inside face of the curve will really help them bend.
    If choosing the curvy bark path route and using cheap timber edgings such as slats from pallets, making vertical saw cuts on the inside face of the curve will really help them bend.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. "M"

Wind scorch on pittosporum

Plan C , AKA compost bin :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Stanley2

Gardenia Klein's Hardy - how to look after and hopefully grow.

Verdun - you are just rubbing it in about Cornwall, like your comment about the nurseries in the other thread :snorky: I used to have a lot of more tender plants - bursaria spinosa, acacia dealbata,...
    Verdun - you are just rubbing it in about Cornwall, like your comment about the nurseries in the other thread :snorky: I used to have a lot of more tender plants - bursaria spinosa, acacia dealbata, phormium cookianum etc, until we had the winter of 2010 (I think) when it registered -15 in my very cold...
    Verdun - you are just rubbing it in about Cornwall, like your comment about the nurseries in the other thread :snorky: I used to have a lot of more tender plants - bursaria spinosa, acacia dealbata, phormium cookianum etc, until we had the winter of 2010...
    Verdun - you are just rubbing it in about Cornwall, like your comment about the nurseries in the other thread :snorky: I used to have a lot of more tender plants - bursaria spinosa, acacia dealbata,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. REMO

Digging into ground and finding slate

The work you are putting in now will reap huge rewards later on. Keep on keeping on Remo - you`ll get there :thumbsup:
    The work you are putting in now will reap huge rewards later on. Keep on keeping on Remo - you`ll get there :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kelc

Cabbage help

Aww thankyou
    Aww thankyou
    Aww thankyou
    Aww thankyou
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ellen9661

Legal question.

Is this your fence? If it is you can treat the plant with a herbicide on both sides of the fence as it’s your property but only what’s on your fence. It’s also worth checking if the fence marks...
    Is this your fence? If it is you can treat the plant with a herbicide on both sides of the fence as it’s your property but only what’s on your fence. It’s also worth checking if the fence marks the boundary as it does not always indicate the edge of said boundaries. If you had ivy for example...
    Is this your fence? If it is you can treat the plant with a herbicide on both sides of the fence as it’s your property but only what’s on your fence. It’s also worth checking if the fence marks the boundary as it does not always indicate the edge...
    Is this your fence? If it is you can treat the plant with a herbicide on both sides of the fence as it’s your property but only what’s on your fence. It’s also worth checking if the fence marks...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice