1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Emma Hooker

Astilbe younique pink - is it meant to look like this

If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe...
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe dig it up improve the soil with compost, replant and hopefully in the Spring all will be fine.
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe dig it up improve the soil with compost, replant...
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Sunny-Mac

Steep garden advice.

Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've prepared the soil thoroughly and then planted through membrane. Bark, though, will tend to travel...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've prepared the soil thoroughly and then planted...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. BrisOxSophie

Balcony planting

Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a male one is local (that's a long shot on a balcony!)...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    DSC_0043.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Beverley

What is happening to my japanese euonymus?

Looks a bit like insect attack of some kind. Think I would just prune back the damaged shoots.If you can see any small caterpillars squash them.
    Looks a bit like insect attack of some kind. Think I would just prune back the damaged shoots.If you can see any small caterpillars squash them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Emily Brookes

Lavender

Hi Emily, I agree that your Lavender is in the 'wrong' place! Unless you re edge the lawn, grass would soon start to grow through it and make it untidy. It's a great plant to have however. Bees...
    Hi Emily, I agree that your Lavender is in the 'wrong' place! Unless you re edge the lawn, grass would soon start to grow through it and make it untidy. It's a great plant to have however. Bees love it and the scent is a welcome one. I would wait till it's past flowering if possible (probably...
    Hi Emily, I agree that your Lavender is in the 'wrong' place! Unless you re edge the lawn, grass would soon start to grow through it and make it untidy. It's a great plant to have however. Bees love it and the scent is a welcome one. I would wait...
    Hi Emily, I agree that your Lavender is in the 'wrong' place! Unless you re edge the lawn, grass would soon start to grow through it and make it untidy. It's a great plant to have however. Bees...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Aimi

Dahlias

Probably not tall varieties, the label lied;) Not unusual. They might have been treated to dwarf them but I wouldn't have thought so.
    Probably not tall varieties, the label lied;) Not unusual. They might have been treated to dwarf them but I wouldn't have thought so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. babisum

My Lupins have Stopped flowering and am left with seed pods!!

Normally you dead head as soon as the flowers are finished. Not sure if they will flower again this year if you do it now, but its worth a try.
    Normally you dead head as soon as the flowers are finished. Not sure if they will flower again this year if you do it now, but its worth a try.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Snowberry

Plant ID please

Is picture one and three some type of geranium and picture two a type of sorbaria?
    Is picture one and three some type of geranium and picture two a type of sorbaria?
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Lyndsey

Poorly Acer

Acers are sensitive to cold winds and the start of May has been cold and windy. Don't know where you are in the country, but that would be my initial thought. Cold winds on young foliage. Should...
    Acers are sensitive to cold winds and the start of May has been cold and windy. Don't know where you are in the country, but that would be my initial thought. Cold winds on young foliage. Should recover with time, maybe see growth by end of May with mild weather.
    Acers are sensitive to cold winds and the start of May has been cold and windy. Don't know where you are in the country, but that would be my initial thought. Cold winds on young foliage. Should recover with time, maybe see growth by end of May ...
    Acers are sensitive to cold winds and the start of May has been cold and windy. Don't know where you are in the country, but that would be my initial thought. Cold winds on young foliage. Should...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. PaulD_99

Looking for plant recommendation for outside pot

Hello, welcome to GC :) You don't say whether the pot is in sun or shade, but here are a few ideas for either: Euonymous fortunei, Hebe, Nandina domestica 'Firepower', dwarf Pittosporum tobira,...
    Hello, welcome to GC :) You don't say whether the pot is in sun or shade, but here are a few ideas for either: Euonymous fortunei, Hebe, Nandina domestica 'Firepower', dwarf Pittosporum tobira, Convolvulus cneorum, dwarf Photinia, Hedera 'Glacier' trained on a frame, HTH!
    Hello, welcome to GC :) You don't say whether the pot is in sun or shade, but here are a few ideas for either: Euonymous fortunei, Hebe, Nandina domestica 'Firepower', dwarf Pittosporum tobira, Convolvulus cneorum, dwarf Photinia, Hedera...
    Hello, welcome to GC :) You don't say whether the pot is in sun or shade, but here are a few ideas for either: Euonymous fortunei, Hebe, Nandina domestica 'Firepower', dwarf Pittosporum tobira,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Bob Rob

I need to move an apple tree!

@Bob Rob I would prepare a planting hole, with a stake, where I wanted the tree to go. Water the tree well; then dig the tree up with as big a rootball as possible. May need two and or a...
    @Bob Rob I would prepare a planting hole, with a stake, where I wanted the tree to go. Water the tree well; then dig the tree up with as big a rootball as possible. May need two and or a wheelbarrow or a strong sheet of plastic to drag it on. Move it over to the new hole and slide it in making...
    @Bob Rob I would prepare a planting hole, with a stake, where I wanted the tree to go. Water the tree well; then dig the tree up with as big a rootball as possible. May need two and or a wheelbarrow or a strong sheet of plastic to drag it on....
    @Bob Rob I would prepare a planting hole, with a stake, where I wanted the tree to go. Water the tree well; then dig the tree up with as big a rootball as possible. May need two and or a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Questions about mulching (to kill weeds)

It's worth mentioning that while digging up all those weeds, there was plenty of worms and bugs in the soil. (Less in the clay areas.)Does this mean I don't have to worry about organic matter...
    It's worth mentioning that while digging up all those weeds, there was plenty of worms and bugs in the soil. (Less in the clay areas.)Does this mean I don't have to worry about organic matter in the layers?
    It's worth mentioning that while digging up all those weeds, there was plenty of worms and bugs in the soil. (Less in the clay areas.)Does this mean I don't have to worry about organic matter in the layers?
    It's worth mentioning that while digging up all those weeds, there was plenty of worms and bugs in the soil. (Less in the clay areas.)Does this mean I don't have to worry about organic matter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Slouise

What to plant

Hello Slouise, Have a Google for Cistus, Helianthemum, Prostrate Rosemary, Lavenders, Artemisia, Thyme, Salvias...that will give you something to be going on with :)
    Hello Slouise, Have a Google for Cistus, Helianthemum, Prostrate Rosemary, Lavenders, Artemisia, Thyme, Salvias...that will give you something to be going on with :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Sharpie

Grass on very gravelly area

Grass needs a decent seedbed and soils structure if it is to make a nice lawn. If that is in the "too difficult" bracket you could go with Astoturf instead - that can go down straight onto your...
    Grass needs a decent seedbed and soils structure if it is to make a nice lawn. If that is in the "too difficult" bracket you could go with Astoturf instead - that can go down straight onto your hardcore surface (with some sand in between)
    Grass needs a decent seedbed and soils structure if it is to make a nice lawn. If that is in the "too difficult" bracket you could go with Astoturf instead - that can go down straight onto your hardcore surface (with some sand in between)
    Grass needs a decent seedbed and soils structure if it is to make a nice lawn. If that is in the "too difficult" bracket you could go with Astoturf instead - that can go down straight onto your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HazzaGrazza

Hydrangea help

Hello, HazzaGrazza. Hydrangeas (and I am now referring just to the macrophyllas, also called mopheads or lacecaps) have an area in their base where they develop all the stems from. It is called...
    Hello, HazzaGrazza. Hydrangeas (and I am now referring just to the macrophyllas, also called mopheads or lacecaps) have an area in their base where they develop all the stems from. It is called the crown over here. New, green shoots in Spring that come out of the crown and that develop into...
    Hello, HazzaGrazza. Hydrangeas (and I am now referring just to the macrophyllas, also called mopheads or lacecaps) have an area in their base where they develop all the stems from. It is called the crown over here. New, green shoots in Spring...
    Hello, HazzaGrazza. Hydrangeas (and I am now referring just to the macrophyllas, also called mopheads or lacecaps) have an area in their base where they develop all the stems from. It is called...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. starbuck88

Acer very unhealthy

It probably would have preferred an Ericaceous compost ...They hate wind (particularly the finely cut leave types), so I would keep it very sheltered.if it is outdoors / exposed overwinter...
    It probably would have preferred an Ericaceous compost ...They hate wind (particularly the finely cut leave types), so I would keep it very sheltered.if it is outdoors / exposed overwinter (and even if not ...) Acers suffer dieback of old branches. Not much that you can do about that (that I...
    It probably would have preferred an Ericaceous compost ...They hate wind (particularly the finely cut leave types), so I would keep it very sheltered.if it is outdoors / exposed overwinter (and even if not ...) Acers suffer dieback of old...
    It probably would have preferred an Ericaceous compost ...They hate wind (particularly the finely cut leave types), so I would keep it very sheltered.if it is outdoors / exposed overwinter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Dannii

Lawn help! Plus lawning over a old pebble driveway.. what to do ?

Welcome Dannii. I replied on the link below before I saw this thread.Clay soil and general advice
    Welcome Dannii. I replied on the link below before I saw this thread.Clay soil and general advice
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Khaled

lemon seedling help/marks on leaves

Forgot to include that I water the seedlings well, and use Miracle Gro Potting Mix
    Forgot to include that I water the seedlings well, and use Miracle Gro Potting Mix
    1231.jpg 1232.jpg 1231.jpg 1232.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Daisy Chain

Where to buy plants

You might find some info here:Retailer Feedback
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Pashmeister

Garden stream design

Hi,Welcome to the forum.What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size...
    Hi,Welcome to the forum.What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size (big) and the return feed pipe.What catches my eye is the width of the stream and the fall, and that...
    Hi,Welcome to the forum.What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size (big) and the return feed pipe.What catches my eye...
    Hi,Welcome to the forum.What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice