1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. JamieT

Beech hedging trimmed too short

Great, thanks very much for the advice :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. would-be-gardener

Beech hedge

Thanks Spruce :)Ideally 2 metres. I can't see it being a problem as all the other houses have a similar height hedge and across the road have massive fences, but thanks for the advice - I will...
    Thanks Spruce :)Ideally 2 metres. I can't see it being a problem as all the other houses have a similar height hedge and across the road have massive fences, but thanks for the advice - I will look into it.
    Thanks Spruce :)Ideally 2 metres. I can't see it being a problem as all the other houses have a similar height hedge and across the road have massive fences, but thanks for the advice - I will look into it.
    Thanks Spruce :)Ideally 2 metres. I can't see it being a problem as all the other houses have a similar height hedge and across the road have massive fences, but thanks for the advice - I will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. toppington

Bedding plants snail/slugs won't eat!

:heehee:I won't tell them its down to you :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Liam Goodaire

Bedding flowers

Wow! Cheers! I like the look of the Geranium varieties, I will look into those this evening. The soil can be pretty much anything as I've cleared out the beds from the previous owners as there was...
    Wow! Cheers! I like the look of the Geranium varieties, I will look into those this evening. The soil can be pretty much anything as I've cleared out the beds from the previous owners as there was a lot of weeds and horrible bark. I was thinking a mixture of top soil which I have spare from the...
    Wow! Cheers! I like the look of the Geranium varieties, I will look into those this evening. The soil can be pretty much anything as I've cleared out the beds from the previous owners as there was a lot of weeds and horrible bark. I was thinking...
    Wow! Cheers! I like the look of the Geranium varieties, I will look into those this evening. The soil can be pretty much anything as I've cleared out the beds from the previous owners as there was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Eva Natty

Bed with varying light conditions - how to use shaded area

Oh dear! Thank you for the heads up! Yeah I suppose it's not really the best forest etiquette... :whistle:
    Oh dear! Thank you for the heads up! Yeah I suppose it's not really the best forest etiquette... :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. weedaway

Beauty and the beast

Could be wrong but they look like cox's or Laxtons
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. "M"

BBC: Instant Gardeners

This is a daytime programme and has aired 4 out of 10 so far. The "Instant Gardener" is given 10 hours to transform a garden. Not long *at all*! So far, it has proved an interesting watch with...
    This is a daytime programme and has aired 4 out of 10 so far. The "Instant Gardener" is given 10 hours to transform a garden. Not long *at all*! So far, it has proved an interesting watch with some good tips.The first episode was to transform a garden which was prone to waterlogging. (I...
    This is a daytime programme and has aired 4 out of 10 so far. The "Instant Gardener" is given 10 hours to transform a garden. Not long *at all*! So far, it has proved an interesting watch with some good tips.The first episode was to...
    This is a daytime programme and has aired 4 out of 10 so far. The "Instant Gardener" is given 10 hours to transform a garden. Not long *at all*! So far, it has proved an interesting watch with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Stuart Hurst

Bay Tree is having a bit of a hissy fit

Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with...
    Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with Pete the brown leaves meant it had dried out too much water the leaves go yellow ... is it in a sunny...
    Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with Pete the brown leaves meant it had dried out too...
    Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JPetch

Basic garden help! :)

Looking at that pic, and if you want usable lawn by summer then I'd weedkill the lot, take it over and get turf down in mid Spring
    Looking at that pic, and if you want usable lawn by summer then I'd weedkill the lot, take it over and get turf down in mid Spring
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. cheryl felix

Barren garden?

Hi there, FWIW I definitely think that if you're new to gardening it's hard to understand what they mean on the back of these seed packets when they say: 'thin out to Xcm' You feel like you've...
    Hi there, FWIW I definitely think that if you're new to gardening it's hard to understand what they mean on the back of these seed packets when they say: 'thin out to Xcm' You feel like you've just planted all this stuff and now you've to haul them out the ground?! Anyway, I found that once you...
    Hi there, FWIW I definitely think that if you're new to gardening it's hard to understand what they mean on the back of these seed packets when they say: 'thin out to Xcm' You feel like you've just planted all this stuff and now you've to haul...
    Hi there, FWIW I definitely think that if you're new to gardening it's hard to understand what they mean on the back of these seed packets when they say: 'thin out to Xcm' You feel like you've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Chris123

Bark treatment

Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a...
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a lovely tree.Lets hope nature sorts it.
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a lovely tree.Lets hope nature sorts it.
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Ggg

Bareroot boxus hedge

The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted...
    The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted 100 at 5 plants per meter. I'm really pleased so far. I've pruned them so they get bushier. I'm...
    The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted 100 at 5 plants per meter. I'm really pleased so...
    The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Sixtie7

Bamboo

The date palm will not survive a winter outside if planted in the ground. Might be ok to plant it in a pot and then move to a sheltered position in winter. I'd leave all your plants in the pots...
    The date palm will not survive a winter outside if planted in the ground. Might be ok to plant it in a pot and then move to a sheltered position in winter. I'd leave all your plants in the pots till your bed is ready.
    The date palm will not survive a winter outside if planted in the ground. Might be ok to plant it in a pot and then move to a sheltered position in winter. I'd leave all your plants in the pots till your bed is ready.
    The date palm will not survive a winter outside if planted in the ground. Might be ok to plant it in a pot and then move to a sheltered position in winter. I'd leave all your plants in the pots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. martin-f

Bamboo

This is how there's are...so they could be taller :phew:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. BrisOxSophie

Balcony planting

Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a male one is local (that's a long shot on a balcony!)...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    DSC_0043.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Rage

Bad start to a new garden

My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants...
    My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants roots could be dipped when planting. Long time since I grew veg.
    My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants roots could be dipped when planting. Long time...
    My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. billylambley

Bad soil?

Ok thanks ill have a look for a detection kit and see what is in the spil
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JamesH_2020

Baby Cherry Laurel Problem?

Thanks for answering clanless! It's just 1 of those things I was kind of thinking (it must have 1 stem), as every other rooted plant does that I can think off, but it's just difficult to imagine...
    Thanks for answering clanless! It's just 1 of those things I was kind of thinking (it must have 1 stem), as every other rooted plant does that I can think off, but it's just difficult to imagine 1 hedge, that can be 6+ metres wide, which can all be sprouting from the same stem! So, so glad to...
    Thanks for answering clanless! It's just 1 of those things I was kind of thinking (it must have 1 stem), as every other rooted plant does that I can think off, but it's just difficult to imagine 1 hedge, that can be 6+ metres wide, which can all...
    Thanks for answering clanless! It's just 1 of those things I was kind of thinking (it must have 1 stem), as every other rooted plant does that I can think off, but it's just difficult to imagine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. c3k

azalea with yellow leaves due to lime

Thanks. I repotted them today in nice acidic soil but the roots were completely frozen in soil! Roll on springtime!
    Thanks. I repotted them today in nice acidic soil but the roots were completely frozen in soil! Roll on springtime!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mbbx5va2

Azalea japonica not growing right

I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants...
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants seem pretty dormant and easy to move in the winter.
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants seem pretty dormant and easy to move in the winter.
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice