NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Katiet79

Planter question!

Thank you Spruce, again really helpful and informative info x
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Kris1990
    Like x 4

Just done my first ever plant

Yer I'm glad u labeled them too I nearly did forget intill my girlfriend reminded me haha
    Yer I'm glad u labeled them too I nearly did forget intill my girlfriend reminded me haha
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. lwoodlouse82

Plant and plant shop advice please!

Hi all!So my partner and I moved into a flat a couple of years ago and now because of current events we both have time on our hands and are trying to make the small (tiny) garden bit outside of...
    Hi all!So my partner and I moved into a flat a couple of years ago and now because of current events we both have time on our hands and are trying to make the small (tiny) garden bit outside of our front door a little nicer. We have spoken to friends who have suggested putting down a weed...
    Hi all!So my partner and I moved into a flat a couple of years ago and now because of current events we both have time on our hands and are trying to make the small (tiny) garden bit outside of our front door a little nicer. We have spoken to...
    Hi all!So my partner and I moved into a flat a couple of years ago and now because of current events we both have time on our hands and are trying to make the small (tiny) garden bit outside of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Victoria Mitchell

Can I save this Palm?

:sad: Thanks for all your help all the same
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Retro_Popcorn

Ilex aquifolium Argentea Holly

Hi does anyone know how much mulch I should be putting around my holly as I have 5 and was wondering if a 60l bag is enoughThanks
    Hi does anyone know how much mulch I should be putting around my holly as I have 5 and was wondering if a 60l bag is enoughThanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. TonyNewbie
    Like x 3

Another new gardener!

Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Danny30

Revice Struggling Plants

Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back quite a bit. If your annuals are wilting they probably need watering. I have some larger annuals in...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back quite a bit. If your annuals are wilting they probably...
    Sweet peas just last the summer. When I deadhead I just nip back to the next split. Some roses have a mass of blooms so you are only nipping back a couple of inches. Some flowers you nip back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Sue1965

New plant given any ideas what it could be about 7ft tall

Ficus robusta, the common Rubber plant which is a house plant and can only be kept outside in the summer months, unless you are in the Mediterranean.
    Ficus robusta, the common Rubber plant which is a house plant and can only be kept outside in the summer months, unless you are in the Mediterranean.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JamesM1989

Help with new garden please!

Can you cover it? Plastic sheet would keep the light out (kill weeds, over time, and keep moisture in, you could plant through the plastic, in year one at least, if you are going to do that woven...
    Can you cover it? Plastic sheet would keep the light out (kill weeds, over time, and keep moisture in, you could plant through the plastic, in year one at least, if you are going to do that woven weed suppressing membrane, such as Mypex, would be best), Cardboard (old boxes) would do, but would...
    Can you cover it? Plastic sheet would keep the light out (kill weeds, over time, and keep moisture in, you could plant through the plastic, in year one at least, if you are going to do that woven weed suppressing membrane, such as Mypex, would be...
    Can you cover it? Plastic sheet would keep the light out (kill weeds, over time, and keep moisture in, you could plant through the plastic, in year one at least, if you are going to do that woven...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Denwyn

Raised Flower Bed

Oops sorry for replying via private msg, my fault entirely. Im afraid Railway sleepers not an option,to difficult to get hold of,arkward to cut and expensive. We have about 80 paving flags spare...
    Oops sorry for replying via private msg, my fault entirely. Im afraid Railway sleepers not an option,to difficult to get hold of,arkward to cut and expensive. We have about 80 paving flags spare as soon as builders start new paved area,afraid there being skipped. I did think of using them,but...
    Oops sorry for replying via private msg, my fault entirely. Im afraid Railway sleepers not an option,to difficult to get hold of,arkward to cut and expensive. We have about 80 paving flags spare as soon as builders start new paved area,afraid...
    Oops sorry for replying via private msg, my fault entirely. Im afraid Railway sleepers not an option,to difficult to get hold of,arkward to cut and expensive. We have about 80 paving flags spare...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. BrianA

Staking Saplings

My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good root hold.If you cut it back in spring for the first couple of years it will become more stable...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good root hold.If you cut it back in spring for the...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. REMO

Veg outgrowing cloches - Beginner

Thanks JWK.
    Thanks JWK.
    Thanks JWK.
    Thanks JWK.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. chippy

dahlia

Frosting will also induce dormancy :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Scoffy

North facing wall

It was a while ago that I looked at climbers so my memory is a bit hazy but I *think* that ivy, Virginia creeper, honeysuckle and clematis were all ok for North facing walls/shade. I'm going to...
    It was a while ago that I looked at climbers so my memory is a bit hazy but I *think* that ivy, Virginia creeper, honeysuckle and clematis were all ok for North facing walls/shade. I'm going to need one on the side of the garage at some point!
    It was a while ago that I looked at climbers so my memory is a bit hazy but I *think* that ivy, Virginia creeper, honeysuckle and clematis were all ok for North facing walls/shade. I'm going to need one on the side of the garage at some point!
    It was a while ago that I looked at climbers so my memory is a bit hazy but I *think* that ivy, Virginia creeper, honeysuckle and clematis were all ok for North facing walls/shade. I'm going to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Genevieve75

Rhododendron - still a stem with leaves at the top after 3 years!

Thanks Pete. I'll follow your advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Karen1986

Preparing soil for planting

Sounds good to me. It is a lot easier to get all that yummy goodness into your soil before you start planting in it.G.
    Sounds good to me. It is a lot easier to get all that yummy goodness into your soil before you start planting in it.G.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Beverley

What is happening to my japanese euonymus?

Looks a bit like insect attack of some kind. Think I would just prune back the damaged shoots.If you can see any small caterpillars squash them.
    Looks a bit like insect attack of some kind. Think I would just prune back the damaged shoots.If you can see any small caterpillars squash them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. RobynneFaye

Lavender - help!

You're welcome Robynne. :) GC is about helping and picking up knowledge from each other, we never stop learning as gardeners.
    You're welcome Robynne. :) GC is about helping and picking up knowledge from each other, we never stop learning as gardeners.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. hmltnangel

Soil, what to do with it

If it's going to be lawn then adding plenty of gravel would improve drainage rather than organic matter. The gravel would need working into the soil. The other thing is to aerate the soil, maybe...
    If it's going to be lawn then adding plenty of gravel would improve drainage rather than organic matter. The gravel would need working into the soil. The other thing is to aerate the soil, maybe it is compacted from the heavy equipment during the new build so you could try loosening it with a...
    If it's going to be lawn then adding plenty of gravel would improve drainage rather than organic matter. The gravel would need working into the soil. The other thing is to aerate the soil, maybe it is compacted from the heavy equipment during the...
    If it's going to be lawn then adding plenty of gravel would improve drainage rather than organic matter. The gravel would need working into the soil. The other thing is to aerate the soil, maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lh339

Advice wanted for trees

Hello all,We are brand new to gardening and wanted some advice.We have these conifer trees at the front of our drive but really want to replace them with something else.As you can see there...
    Hello all,We are brand new to gardening and wanted some advice.We have these conifer trees at the front of our drive but really want to replace them with something else.As you can see there is an enormous comfier tree to the side and this blocks a lot of sun light and space.Is there...
    Hello all,We are brand new to gardening and wanted some advice.We have these conifer trees at the front of our drive but really want to replace them with something else.As you can see there is an enormous comfier tree to the side and this...
    Hello all,We are brand new to gardening and wanted some advice.We have these conifer trees at the front of our drive but really want to replace them with something else.As you can see there...
    28B41474-3118-42E4-BC24-A466C8A2F2BA.jpeg 42242ECA-EAB8-44AC-8B7D-679B5A616E4F.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice