1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Grant1992

Azalea dying?

Ha everything is fine im just a newbie wanting to learn anyway
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sk1pr@
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Muriel

Autumn sowing of hardy annuals

As a trial I sowed Cornflower, Coreopsis, Pansies, Honeywort, Lavateria, Sweet pea and was so delighted that they have all germinated and since been potted on. They are still in situ in my cold...
    As a trial I sowed Cornflower, Coreopsis, Pansies, Honeywort, Lavateria, Sweet pea and was so delighted that they have all germinated and since been potted on. They are still in situ in my cold greenhouse and look very healthy at the moment but how do I overwinter them. I have an option to use a...
    As a trial I sowed Cornflower, Coreopsis, Pansies, Honeywort, Lavateria, Sweet pea and was so delighted that they have all germinated and since been potted on. They are still in situ in my cold greenhouse and look very healthy at the moment but...
    As a trial I sowed Cornflower, Coreopsis, Pansies, Honeywort, Lavateria, Sweet pea and was so delighted that they have all germinated and since been potted on. They are still in situ in my cold...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Fyfy K

Automatic watering system

Thanks all, i've calmed down a bit about this now. I think i'll do the mulching unless we're having a real scorcher of a summer (not holding my breath for that!).
    Thanks all, i've calmed down a bit about this now. I think i'll do the mulching unless we're having a real scorcher of a summer (not holding my breath for that!).
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. bigbore

Aubrieta

PS.... All the growth overhanging the wall will be cut off with shears level with the top of the wall to grow back during the summer.
    PS.... All the growth overhanging the wall will be cut off with shears level with the top of the wall to grow back during the summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. "M"

Attention: all beginner gardeners!

I urge you to take a meander around the "Identification Area" of the forums. Why? Well, my friend had a plant which I totally lusted after. Neither of us knew what is was, and she was moving a...
    I urge you to take a meander around the "Identification Area" of the forums. Why? Well, my friend had a plant which I totally lusted after. Neither of us knew what is was, and she was moving a few weeks later. Fast forward a year (or so) Then, I spied it in an area near to where *I* had...
    I urge you to take a meander around the "Identification Area" of the forums. Why? Well, my friend had a plant which I totally lusted after. Neither of us knew what is was, and she was moving a few weeks later. Fast forward a year (or so)...
    I urge you to take a meander around the "Identification Area" of the forums. Why? Well, my friend had a plant which I totally lusted after. Neither of us knew what is was, and she was moving a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Richard Whitney

Attempting to make a new flower bed!

Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout...
    Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout the top soil. Take your time ....its all so worthwhile :)
    Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout the top soil. Take your time ....its all so worthwhile :)
    Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. portoman

Attack of the Lawn Toadstools!

Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Emma Hooker

Astilbe younique pink - is it meant to look like this

If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe...
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe dig it up improve the soil with compost, replant and hopefully in the Spring all will be fine.
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe dig it up improve the soil with compost, replant...
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Rhydian

Asparagus Surprise

Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in...
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in their needs. My bed is on its second year so still not tasted any as they need two years to settle in....
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in their needs. My bed is on its second year so still not...
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Lisa J C

Asparagus from seed - help!

Asparagus develops a massive root system once it gets established and an established bed takes a great deal of effort to dig out when one wants to get rid of it. You will in due course be able to...
    Asparagus develops a massive root system once it gets established and an established bed takes a great deal of effort to dig out when one wants to get rid of it. You will in due course be able to harvest some, but you do need to keep the plants very well spaced in the pot. Should be fun though,...
    Asparagus develops a massive root system once it gets established and an established bed takes a great deal of effort to dig out when one wants to get rid of it. You will in due course be able to harvest some, but you do need to keep the plants...
    Asparagus develops a massive root system once it gets established and an established bed takes a great deal of effort to dig out when one wants to get rid of it. You will in due course be able to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lowrider69

Asparagus Advice please

Hello @Marley Farley you've got a good show there...you definitely know how to grow your stuff ;)
    Hello @Marley Farley you've got a good show there...you definitely know how to grow your stuff ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JJ28

Ashes

My neighbour a senior citizen (well just a bit more senior than me;) had a bonfire every day for years and put all the ashes on his plot(a lot of ash) he grew the finest cabbages in the county
    My neighbour a senior citizen (well just a bit more senior than me;) had a bonfire every day for years and put all the ashes on his plot(a lot of ash) he grew the finest cabbages in the county
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Karen1986

As these plants dying?

HiI’ve attached some pictures and am looking for advice as they look like they’re dying!- 2 pics of honeysuckle at the trellis: this was planted back in spring and is growing and flowering,...
    HiI’ve attached some pictures and am looking for advice as they look like they’re dying!- 2 pics of honeysuckle at the trellis: this was planted back in spring and is growing and flowering, however, you’ll see the leaves are all white and diseased looking. I’ve bought some spray for it but...
    HiI’ve attached some pictures and am looking for advice as they look like they’re dying!- 2 pics of honeysuckle at the trellis: this was planted back in spring and is growing and flowering, however, you’ll see the leaves are all white and...
    HiI’ve attached some pictures and am looking for advice as they look like they’re dying!- 2 pics of honeysuckle at the trellis: this was planted back in spring and is growing and flowering,...
    19E9E664-D4EC-4710-A7BF-7081959CE966.jpeg DCC4B2BB-C91D-4350-A78F-C42675BECF79.jpeg 0CB2C902-52FB-4CC8-BC39-34D531408E21.jpeg DA9469D9-53D3-4FF8-BC22-AFFD959DA7B6.jpeg DB1B02A7-7A6E-4AE9-BA2F-518E2280EC4E.jpeg 09D31C5B-16D1-42D3-933C-067B95A68C74.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. richard6298

Artificial Trees and their "planting"

Well you've obviously made your mind up but .... I've never seen a good looking artificial tree. At my last office they spent an awful amount of money replacing natural looking shaped holly trees...
    Well you've obviously made your mind up but .... I've never seen a good looking artificial tree. At my last office they spent an awful amount of money replacing natural looking shaped holly trees with artificial which looked bleak and dreadful. They look too uniform and exactly the same all year...
    Well you've obviously made your mind up but .... I've never seen a good looking artificial tree. At my last office they spent an awful amount of money replacing natural looking shaped holly trees with artificial which looked bleak and dreadful....
    Well you've obviously made your mind up but .... I've never seen a good looking artificial tree. At my last office they spent an awful amount of money replacing natural looking shaped holly trees...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. James Rigg

Artificial grass up to wooden 6x6 fence panels.

The durable interlocking plastic edging looks like the one I'll go for. Thank you for the reply and reassurance
    The durable interlocking plastic edging looks like the one I'll go for. Thank you for the reply and reassurance
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. wren1

Are these weeds?

Thank you so much everyone. I can't wait to get out there and carry on pulling the weeds out, safe in the knowledge I am doing the right thing!
    Thank you so much everyone. I can't wait to get out there and carry on pulling the weeds out, safe in the knowledge I am doing the right thing!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Paullypaul

Are these plants snowdrops?

That's an interesting one Andre. I am beginning to realise there are quite a variety of these plants.
    That's an interesting one Andre. I am beginning to realise there are quite a variety of these plants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Springreen

Are these lavender too old to keep?

Some cracking varieties around now Irmemac but sniff a couple to see what you like. :) My own have been flowering for several weeks and will be hard pruned soon to make a tight dense and neat...
    Some cracking varieties around now Irmemac but sniff a couple to see what you like. :) My own have been flowering for several weeks and will be hard pruned soon to make a tight dense and neat silver/green aromatic hedge. Five years old isn't too old if hard pruned annually......I kept a lavendar...
    Some cracking varieties around now Irmemac but sniff a couple to see what you like. :) My own have been flowering for several weeks and will be hard pruned soon to make a tight dense and neat silver/green aromatic hedge. Five years old isn't too...
    Some cracking varieties around now Irmemac but sniff a couple to see what you like. :) My own have been flowering for several weeks and will be hard pruned soon to make a tight dense and neat...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sarah Giles

Are these beyond saving?

I love gooseberries, they do need to be picked ripe but gently poached with plenty of sugar and an almond frangipan topping they are superb!
    I love gooseberries, they do need to be picked ripe but gently poached with plenty of sugar and an almond frangipan topping they are superb!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice