Other Plants

Any Other Plants Not Covered In Other Areas, Including House Plants Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Philip Hughes

Tulips

I have a couple of books on Tulipomania in Holland in the 1630's. Its a fascinating insight into human behaviour. It was all caused by Holland, who had 50% of the world's merchant shipping and...
    I have a couple of books on Tulipomania in Holland in the 1630's. Its a fascinating insight into human behaviour. It was all caused by Holland, who had 50% of the world's merchant shipping and trade at the time, and so had a massive increase in the money supply - which invariably leads to a...
    I have a couple of books on Tulipomania in Holland in the 1630's. Its a fascinating insight into human behaviour. It was all caused by Holland, who had 50% of the world's merchant shipping and trade at the time, and so had a massive increase in...
    I have a couple of books on Tulipomania in Holland in the 1630's. Its a fascinating insight into human behaviour. It was all caused by Holland, who had 50% of the world's merchant shipping and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. David G

Passion Flower cutting back

I kind of agree with Spruce. Hard cutbacks usually result in lots of new growth. Just a trim of any dead stuff should get it back into flowering in July.
    I kind of agree with Spruce. Hard cutbacks usually result in lots of new growth. Just a trim of any dead stuff should get it back into flowering in July.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. sal73

Vanilla grass

Sutton have just put on sale vanilla grass plant on sale , I`ve seen them before but never tasted .....did anyone ever taste them , do they really taste like vanilla??????
    Sutton have just put on sale vanilla grass plant on sale , I`ve seen them before but never tasted .....did anyone ever taste them , do they really taste like vanilla??????
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. merleworld

Clematis 2013

I bought an Armandii last year but managed to kill it :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Coolsox

Aroids

Nice. I've just got some cheap zantedeshia but have lived in places where there are lots of wild aroids that were lovely to spot. I also used to have lots of different colour variants of caladium...
    Nice. I've just got some cheap zantedeshia but have lived in places where there are lots of wild aroids that were lovely to spot. I also used to have lots of different colour variants of caladium around my house and yes, there they flowered away. Probably due to my neglect cos they were behind...
    Nice. I've just got some cheap zantedeshia but have lived in places where there are lots of wild aroids that were lovely to spot. I also used to have lots of different colour variants of caladium around my house and yes, there they flowered away....
    Nice. I've just got some cheap zantedeshia but have lived in places where there are lots of wild aroids that were lovely to spot. I also used to have lots of different colour variants of caladium...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Philip Hughes

Foxglove

Funny things Foxgloves. For some they grow as weeds. Others just can't get them to grow at all. In an attempt to answer the original question though, I reckon its the shock of the temperature...
    Funny things Foxgloves. For some they grow as weeds. Others just can't get them to grow at all. In an attempt to answer the original question though, I reckon its the shock of the temperature change, possibly combined with drying out that's upsetting them. Keep them well watered (but not...
    Funny things Foxgloves. For some they grow as weeds. Others just can't get them to grow at all. In an attempt to answer the original question though, I reckon its the shock of the temperature change, possibly combined with drying out that's...
    Funny things Foxgloves. For some they grow as weeds. Others just can't get them to grow at all. In an attempt to answer the original question though, I reckon its the shock of the temperature...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. oakdaledave

Virginia creeper

Let us know in a couple of months time how it took; personally, I think you'll be alright.
    Let us know in a couple of months time how it took; personally, I think you'll be alright.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Barbara Green

How do I grow clematis?

There are some interesting articles on Clematis here:and this one on planting (which has a contrary view to the norm):
    There are some interesting articles on Clematis here:and this one on planting (which has a contrary view to the norm):
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Coolsox
    Like x 3

Hippeastrum flowers

I do agree. Especially the Papillo! That is one that I really want, but baulk at the price that is generally asked for it.
    I do agree. Especially the Papillo! That is one that I really want, but baulk at the price that is generally asked for it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. begoodian

What to do with Clematis

My back porch is practically a greenhouse so will keep in there til cold passes. Will stick it out in my border after about a week. From what i can read, they aren't too fussy about the type of soil?
    My back porch is practically a greenhouse so will keep in there til cold passes. Will stick it out in my border after about a week. From what i can read, they aren't too fussy about the type of soil?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. HarryS

Hydrangea Non Flowering ?

pruning and feeding comes to mind as depending on the variety if he prunes too early he can cut all the blooms off for this year if its a early one , but what type is it ?? , if he has had it a...
    pruning and feeding comes to mind as depending on the variety if he prunes too early he can cut all the blooms off for this year if its a early one , but what type is it ?? , if he has had it a while ? what's changed , getting crowded out ? less sunshine ? Spruce
    pruning and feeding comes to mind as depending on the variety if he prunes too early he can cut all the blooms off for this year if its a early one , but what type is it ?? , if he has had it a while ? what's changed , getting crowded out ? less...
    pruning and feeding comes to mind as depending on the variety if he prunes too early he can cut all the blooms off for this year if its a early one , but what type is it ?? , if he has had it a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Lorea

Planting snowdrops in the green

Thanks Kristen. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jiffy

Mahonia

I took some cuttings a few years ago from my M. "charity". It needed cutting back so I used the prunings in April. I just cut the stem in sections each with a leaf joint, the buried the...
    I took some cuttings a few years ago from my M. "charity". It needed cutting back so I used the prunings in April. I just cut the stem in sections each with a leaf joint, the buried the piece,in pots, leaving the leaf protruding. They took about 3 months to show new shoots. The resulting...
    I took some cuttings a few years ago from my M. "charity". It needed cutting back so I used the prunings in April. I just cut the stem in sections each with a leaf joint, the buried the piece,in pots, leaving the leaf protruding. They took...
    I took some cuttings a few years ago from my M. "charity". It needed cutting back so I used the prunings in April. I just cut the stem in sections each with a leaf joint, the buried the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. merleworld

Dahlias

There is some difference of opinion on this. Scientifically its regarded as a bad idea. I can't quite bring myself (much like you I suppose) to bring myself to do/believe it though ... The...
    There is some difference of opinion on this. Scientifically its regarded as a bad idea. I can't quite bring myself (much like you I suppose) to bring myself to do/believe it though ... The theory is that water is not keen to transition from one substrate to another. So put a layer of, say,...
    There is some difference of opinion on this. Scientifically its regarded as a bad idea. I can't quite bring myself (much like you I suppose) to bring myself to do/believe it though ... The theory is that water is not keen to transition from...
    There is some difference of opinion on this. Scientifically its regarded as a bad idea. I can't quite bring myself (much like you I suppose) to bring myself to do/believe it though ... The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. dinp

Lonicera Tatarica Honeysuckle

Dinp, Russian Vine is the monster you have read about, otherwise known as 'Mile A Minute'. Prune it one day and it'll be back with a vengeance the next. :)
    Dinp, Russian Vine is the monster you have read about, otherwise known as 'Mile A Minute'. Prune it one day and it'll be back with a vengeance the next. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Peorthine

My lavender gone crazy...

I think: Too warm, not enough light. Put it outside during the day (unless it is Arctic!) . After a couple of weeks "hardening off" when it has acclimatised to being outside (leave it out for a...
    I think: Too warm, not enough light. Put it outside during the day (unless it is Arctic!) . After a couple of weeks "hardening off" when it has acclimatised to being outside (leave it out for a few nights that are forecast to be mild towards the end of the "hardening off" period) then plant...
    I think: Too warm, not enough light. Put it outside during the day (unless it is Arctic!) . After a couple of weeks "hardening off" when it has acclimatised to being outside (leave it out for a few nights that are forecast to be mild towards...
    I think: Too warm, not enough light. Put it outside during the day (unless it is Arctic!) . After a couple of weeks "hardening off" when it has acclimatised to being outside (leave it out for a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Herb

Late aconites

Thanks for the info Silu. Looking forward to this time next year!!!! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Robajobs

Agapanthus care

I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you...
    I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you could plant out and give it some protection in the Winter with fleece or dead bracken. I have had A...
    I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you could plant out and give it some protection in the...
    I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Dan Dollin

Lilac Tree - How hard can I prune?

I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom...
    I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom for that year but get big lush leaves instead. They tend to respond by throwing up a lot of shoots,...
    I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom for that year but get big lush leaves instead....
    I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. silu

Hardiest Evergreen Ceanothus suggestions please.

Dunno if it would be tall enough, but I have a Ceanothus Victoria. Its in a fairly open spot (not against hedge or wall) and has been unphased by the last few Winters where we have had nights of...
    Dunno if it would be tall enough, but I have a Ceanothus Victoria. Its in a fairly open spot (not against hedge or wall) and has been unphased by the last few Winters where we have had nights of -10C - -16C :( Just looked on BBC site and it says 120CM tall. Mine's been in since March 2008 and...
    Dunno if it would be tall enough, but I have a Ceanothus Victoria. Its in a fairly open spot (not against hedge or wall) and has been unphased by the last few Winters where we have had nights of -10C - -16C :( Just looked on BBC site and it...
    Dunno if it would be tall enough, but I have a Ceanothus Victoria. Its in a fairly open spot (not against hedge or wall) and has been unphased by the last few Winters where we have had nights of...
    IMG_2621_CeanothusVictoria.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice