Other Plants

Any Other Plants Not Covered In Other Areas, Including House Plants Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Dragonfly Dianne

Growing ivy up the house?

Indeed, answered my own question earlier! Came home and happened to look up and yes, it certainly can grow on steel cladding :snork:Seeing the pics above though (and the ease of pruning description) I...
    Indeed, answered my own question earlier! Came home and happened to look up and yes, it certainly can grow on steel cladding :snork:Seeing the pics above though (and the ease of pruning description) I think I'm going to pull the ivy out and get a virginia creeper
    Indeed, answered my own question earlier! Came home and happened to look up and yes, it certainly can grow on steel cladding :snork:Seeing the pics above though (and the ease of pruning description) I think I'm going to pull the ivy out and get a...
    Indeed, answered my own question earlier! Came home and happened to look up and yes, it certainly can grow on steel cladding :snork:Seeing the pics above though (and the ease of pruning description) I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Kristen

Dahlias - possible cuttings-swap Spring 2013?

I have loads of Dahlias. I went to Crews Hill Gardeners Club in April, and they were flogging them - £1 a tuber. Needless to say I went overboard!
    I have loads of Dahlias. I went to Crews Hill Gardeners Club in April, and they were flogging them - £1 a tuber. Needless to say I went overboard!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. clueless1

Plants for a bottle garden

If they are small enough to fit in the neck of a half gallon scrumpy bottle, then it is an option. Microplugs would fit.
    If they are small enough to fit in the neck of a half gallon scrumpy bottle, then it is an option. Microplugs would fit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. sal73

Nephentes Linda

Sal, Wustaba's plants are a lot more than £2.50! But a lot of them are very rare in cultivation and you can't get them anywhere else.
    Sal, Wustaba's plants are a lot more than £2.50! But a lot of them are very rare in cultivation and you can't get them anywhere else.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. John Stevenson

Protecting Echium

Peter, its strange but it could just be down to positioning in a winter like the last one. Full winter sun, so it gets it full on first thing in the morning in January, would be my advice.
    Peter, its strange but it could just be down to positioning in a winter like the last one. Full winter sun, so it gets it full on first thing in the morning in January, would be my advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Anthorn

Rootgrow on flowering houseplants

Didn't know that. Oh well I'm an old guy and it's hard to beat the habit of a lifetime. But there is an excuse for lining the bottom of the pot when using clay pots. The hole in the bottom tends...
    Didn't know that. Oh well I'm an old guy and it's hard to beat the habit of a lifetime. But there is an excuse for lining the bottom of the pot when using clay pots. The hole in the bottom tends to be big in proportion to the size of the pot: Without lining, compost is lost every time it's...
    Didn't know that. Oh well I'm an old guy and it's hard to beat the habit of a lifetime. But there is an excuse for lining the bottom of the pot when using clay pots. The hole in the bottom tends to be big in proportion to the size of the pot:...
    Didn't know that. Oh well I'm an old guy and it's hard to beat the habit of a lifetime. But there is an excuse for lining the bottom of the pot when using clay pots. The hole in the bottom tends...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. rosebay

When to repot young Choisya (Mexican Orange Blossom)?

Yep, that would do, Rosebay:thumbsup::snork:. Just mix it in with the soil when you're planting:coffee::snork:
    Yep, that would do, Rosebay:thumbsup::snork:. Just mix it in with the soil when you're planting:coffee::snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. "M"

Flowering Currant: moving.

But they'll be attached at some point to the new growth. Best to chop them out rather than invite further die back...
    But they'll be attached at some point to the new growth. Best to chop them out rather than invite further die back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Lynsey

How can it be a Dahlia????

I got some dinner plate dahlia tubers from poundland, 2 for £1. They had orange, red and yellow. They turned out awesome. The sutton ones look great but 9.99 is out of budget for me. :heehee:
    I got some dinner plate dahlia tubers from poundland, 2 for £1. They had orange, red and yellow. They turned out awesome. The sutton ones look great but 9.99 is out of budget for me. :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fat Controller

Saving tubers

As Pete said: no rush with Dahlias. I often don't lift mine until well into December (if it is mild and not excessively wet). Only reason for lifting Dahlias is: Just in case the winter is...
    As Pete said: no rush with Dahlias. I often don't lift mine until well into December (if it is mild and not excessively wet). Only reason for lifting Dahlias is: Just in case the winter is really hard - and might kill them To get them to start earlier in the Spring To propagate from them (in...
    As Pete said: no rush with Dahlias. I often don't lift mine until well into December (if it is mild and not excessively wet). Only reason for lifting Dahlias is: Just in case the winter is really hard - and might kill them To get them to...
    As Pete said: no rush with Dahlias. I often don't lift mine until well into December (if it is mild and not excessively wet). Only reason for lifting Dahlias is: Just in case the winter is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Fat Controller

Lupins - any tips?

Well, I must be doing something right - ten of the 73 have started to germinate so far :dancy:
    Well, I must be doing something right - ten of the 73 have started to germinate so far :dancy:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kristen

Twin Scaling (Snowdrops)

I've been trying to find out how quickly snowdrops will "bulk up" naturally. What I have read suggests that you need to lift-and-divide regularly to get the best rate of increase. "regularly"...
    I've been trying to find out how quickly snowdrops will "bulk up" naturally. What I have read suggests that you need to lift-and-divide regularly to get the best rate of increase. "regularly" looks to be every 2 to 3 years, although I suppose you only do it if there is leaf enough to suggest...
    I've been trying to find out how quickly snowdrops will "bulk up" naturally. What I have read suggests that you need to lift-and-divide regularly to get the best rate of increase. "regularly" looks to be every 2 to 3 years, although I suppose...
    I've been trying to find out how quickly snowdrops will "bulk up" naturally. What I have read suggests that you need to lift-and-divide regularly to get the best rate of increase. "regularly"...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Snorky85

Pruning Christmas Box

Ah I get you...to encourage roots to grow from the length of the stem. I think I may have done this accidentally with other plants in the past.
    Ah I get you...to encourage roots to grow from the length of the stem. I think I may have done this accidentally with other plants in the past.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Madahhlia

Commelina tuberosa

More of an oddity really. But the lower petal is noticeably larger in relation to the top two. C.communis was a much larger plant and the flowers stayed open well into the afternoon.
    More of an oddity really. But the lower petal is noticeably larger in relation to the top two. C.communis was a much larger plant and the flowers stayed open well into the afternoon.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. David E Peacock

Treatment of Tulip bulblets . . .

@PeterS Thank you for your detailed reply, much appreciated. I do intend to leave my red tulips to remain in their next planting location, so I will plant the large of the plantlets with them...
    @PeterS Thank you for your detailed reply, much appreciated. I do intend to leave my red tulips to remain in their next planting location, so I will plant the large of the plantlets with them and grow on the remainder in a nursery patch. I shall also consider following your lead in...
    @PeterS Thank you for your detailed reply, much appreciated. I do intend to leave my red tulips to remain in their next planting location, so I will plant the large of the plantlets with them and grow on the remainder in a nursery patch. I...
    @PeterS Thank you for your detailed reply, much appreciated. I do intend to leave my red tulips to remain in their next planting location, so I will plant the large of the plantlets with them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK

Garvinea (Hardy Gerbera)

Thanks Stephen.
    Thanks Stephen.
    Thanks Stephen.
    Thanks Stephen.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Nikolaos

Best Perennial Plants For Butterflies

@ThePlantAssassin Yep, it certainly is a Red Admiral! Buddleia looks nice and healthy, too! :dbgrtmb:Brimstones, Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Commas, Painted Ladies and the ubiquitous...
    @ThePlantAssassin Yep, it certainly is a Red Admiral! Buddleia looks nice and healthy, too! :dbgrtmb:Brimstones, Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Commas, Painted Ladies and the ubiquitous Small Whites in higher numbers on mine this year! (my apologies to any butterflies I may have left...
    @ThePlantAssassin Yep, it certainly is a Red Admiral! Buddleia looks nice and healthy, too! :dbgrtmb:Brimstones, Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Commas, Painted Ladies and the ubiquitous Small Whites in higher numbers on mine this year!...
    @ThePlantAssassin Yep, it certainly is a Red Admiral! Buddleia looks nice and healthy, too! :dbgrtmb:Brimstones, Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Commas, Painted Ladies and the ubiquitous...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. lolalotl

hoyas hoyas more hoya!

did you have also a little soil around the roots or bare roots?
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mowgley

Butia

Mine is definately going to go into the ground.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Evil Len

Can I cut down centaurea silver feathers ?

Trouble is, they are big, quite blousey, but very prone to breaking off at the base !
    Trouble is, they are big, quite blousey, but very prone to breaking off at the base !
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice