1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Poly-Tunnel Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. andrews
    Like x 4

A few polytunnel work in progress pics

If your tunnel is similar to mine and the main frame is fitted onto ground anchors, then the bolts can be loosened to lift the frame on the anchors to tension the cover if necessary. This comment...
    If your tunnel is similar to mine and the main frame is fitted onto ground anchors, then the bolts can be loosened to lift the frame on the anchors to tension the cover if necessary. This comment is for onlookers too as I'm certain andrew has this done already.Nice tidy job andrew, I made one...
    If your tunnel is similar to mine and the main frame is fitted onto ground anchors, then the bolts can be loosened to lift the frame on the anchors to tension the cover if necessary. This comment is for onlookers too as I'm certain andrew has...
    If your tunnel is similar to mine and the main frame is fitted onto ground anchors, then the bolts can be loosened to lift the frame on the anchors to tension the cover if necessary. This comment...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Pedro61

Temperature comparison inside and out

I've just viewed this video by Charles Dowding - see from approximately 11 minutes onwards.His observations seem to match my own. Looks like it could be due to lack of air movement inside the PT.
    I've just viewed this video by Charles Dowding - see from approximately 11 minutes onwards.His observations seem to match my own. Looks like it could be due to lack of air movement inside the PT.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Vince

Our New Polytunnel

And it might seem a minor point, but I think it is useful when you form the 'pleats' in the cover at the ends, where it is attached to the doorframe, to try to get all the pleats 'facing...
    And it might seem a minor point, but I think it is useful when you form the 'pleats' in the cover at the ends, where it is attached to the doorframe, to try to get all the pleats 'facing downwards' inside the tunnel. That way any water from your watering system doesn't hang about in the grooves...
    And it might seem a minor point, but I think it is useful when you form the 'pleats' in the cover at the ends, where it is attached to the doorframe, to try to get all the pleats 'facing downwards' inside the tunnel. That way any water from your...
    And it might seem a minor point, but I think it is useful when you form the 'pleats' in the cover at the ends, where it is attached to the doorframe, to try to get all the pleats 'facing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. andrews

Misting System Suggestions

Misting now ordered.Like a lot of things, the original idea has grown a bit.The system will be 1m misting over the heated sand bed and then 3m over the benches. I'll be able to turn off the...
    Misting now ordered.Like a lot of things, the original idea has grown a bit.The system will be 1m misting over the heated sand bed and then 3m over the benches. I'll be able to turn off the benches in 1m segments and turn off the section over the heated bed.
    Misting now ordered.Like a lot of things, the original idea has grown a bit.The system will be 1m misting over the heated sand bed and then 3m over the benches. I'll be able to turn off the benches in 1m segments and turn off the section...
    Misting now ordered.Like a lot of things, the original idea has grown a bit.The system will be 1m misting over the heated sand bed and then 3m over the benches. I'll be able to turn off the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. baris

Should I install galvanised steel mesh against field mice and mole

I did this on my first, small tunnel on a plot full of voles and moles and nothing got through the skirt, but voles got through the door opening.I didn't bother on subsequent tunnels (where...
    I did this on my first, small tunnel on a plot full of voles and moles and nothing got through the skirt, but voles got through the door opening.I didn't bother on subsequent tunnels (where voles still got through the front door!), and when replacing covers I've never found holes through the...
    I did this on my first, small tunnel on a plot full of voles and moles and nothing got through the skirt, but voles got through the door opening.I didn't bother on subsequent tunnels (where voles still got through the front door!), and when...
    I did this on my first, small tunnel on a plot full of voles and moles and nothing got through the skirt, but voles got through the door opening.I didn't bother on subsequent tunnels (where...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. baris

Can polyolefin foam be used under the polythene cover to stop the wooden frame to cause any problem?

@Marley Farley Thanks @Tetters Thanks I am in Inverness. @CarolineL Thanks. I think those foams are expensive. I need to purchase lots of them. @Gail_68 Thanks. @Steve R That is a very good...
    @Marley Farley Thanks @Tetters Thanks I am in Inverness. @CarolineL Thanks. I think those foams are expensive. I need to purchase lots of them. @Gail_68 Thanks. @Steve R That is a very good advice I feel so stupid now, I didn't think of doing that. I might even lay the foam I mentioned as a...
    @Marley Farley Thanks @Tetters Thanks I am in Inverness. @CarolineL Thanks. I think those foams are expensive. I need to purchase lots of them. @Gail_68 Thanks. @Steve R That is a very good advice I feel so stupid now, I didn't think of doing...
    @Marley Farley Thanks @Tetters Thanks I am in Inverness. @CarolineL Thanks. I think those foams are expensive. I need to purchase lots of them. @Gail_68 Thanks. @Steve R That is a very good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Jimb0b

High winds

All 3 of my 3 x 6m (10 x 20 feet) polytunnels have double doors covered in mesh at the west facing entrances and identical mesh panels at the rear. Whilst I'm growing in them they are only covered...
    All 3 of my 3 x 6m (10 x 20 feet) polytunnels have double doors covered in mesh at the west facing entrances and identical mesh panels at the rear. Whilst I'm growing in them they are only covered with polythene during colder weather, and then they're closed up again in autumn.Despite the...
    All 3 of my 3 x 6m (10 x 20 feet) polytunnels have double doors covered in mesh at the west facing entrances and identical mesh panels at the rear. Whilst I'm growing in them they are only covered with polythene during colder weather, and then...
    All 3 of my 3 x 6m (10 x 20 feet) polytunnels have double doors covered in mesh at the west facing entrances and identical mesh panels at the rear. Whilst I'm growing in them they are only covered...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Plosh

Polytunnel watering system

Or it might be just as easy to buy a new hose after fitting the rainwater gutter filter, I think they are fairly cheap?
    Or it might be just as easy to buy a new hose after fitting the rainwater gutter filter, I think they are fairly cheap?
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. freeflow

Green poly tunnels

The ones with 'green' covers are normally much, much cheaper than those sold with clear covers.Green covers start rapidly deteriorating after a couple of years, so can either be replaced when...
    The ones with 'green' covers are normally much, much cheaper than those sold with clear covers.Green covers start rapidly deteriorating after a couple of years, so can either be replaced when the polythene between the mesh begins to shower down, or immediately re-sell the supplied cover on...
    The ones with 'green' covers are normally much, much cheaper than those sold with clear covers.Green covers start rapidly deteriorating after a couple of years, so can either be replaced when the polythene between the mesh begins to shower...
    The ones with 'green' covers are normally much, much cheaper than those sold with clear covers.Green covers start rapidly deteriorating after a couple of years, so can either be replaced when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. WoolyBack

Polytunnel ventilation

Used them for years never had a major problem with them. If you live in a cold area then take them off and store frost free over winter, remember to lock vent after removal.
    Used them for years never had a major problem with them. If you live in a cold area then take them off and store frost free over winter, remember to lock vent after removal.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Safronsue

ebay poly leaking on seam

Well it shouldn’t be leaking, but they do make a lot of condensation are you sure it isn’t that which is dripping?
    Well it shouldn’t be leaking, but they do make a lot of condensation are you sure it isn’t that which is dripping?
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Scudo
    Like x 4

Compromise, sometimes we have to.

@Scudo good workspace :blue thumb: i have similar ....but now looking at the side of the Chicken coop :chicken: to add another raised overwintering area for Dahlia pots etc .....no wall space wasted with us gardeners eh ;)
    @Scudo good workspace :blue thumb: i have similar ....but now looking at the side of the Chicken coop :chicken: to add another raised overwintering area for Dahlia pots etc .....no wall space wasted with us gardeners eh ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jimb0b

Which end?

:whistle: Yes you were asking the shelving problem.. Sorry.. Went off on a tangent there.. if your tunnel is in full sun put your shelving in a bright area, but not direct sun or they will cook.. Maybe rig...
    :whistle: Yes you were asking the shelving problem.. Sorry.. Went off on a tangent there.. if your tunnel is in full sun put your shelving in a bright area, but not direct sun or they will cook.. Maybe rig some shade up if seedlings get too hot... Seedlings want bright but not full sun..
    :whistle: Yes you were asking the shelving problem.. Sorry.. Went off on a tangent there.. if your tunnel is in full sun put your shelving in a bright area, but not direct sun or they will cook.. Maybe rig some shade up if seedlings get too hot......
    :whistle: Yes you were asking the shelving problem.. Sorry.. Went off on a tangent there.. if your tunnel is in full sun put your shelving in a bright area, but not direct sun or they will cook.. Maybe rig...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Safronsue

Front and back ground bar on eBay poly

And so you should be, nice tidy job!Happy growing..Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Safronsue

Hello, from a gardener in Greece

Sounds good :dbgrtmb:I'll be doing some touring next month but the only part of Greece I shall be going to will be Laconia.In 1963 I was working at sea and we were one of the ships that rushed to try...
    Sounds good :dbgrtmb:I'll be doing some touring next month but the only part of Greece I shall be going to will be Laconia.In 1963 I was working at sea and we were one of the ships that rushed to try and help with the rescue of the Lakonia that caught fire. :sad: Nearly 200 people died in that...
    Sounds good :dbgrtmb:I'll be doing some touring next month but the only part of Greece I shall be going to will be Laconia.In 1963 I was working at sea and we were one of the ships that rushed to try and help with the rescue of the Lakonia that...
    Sounds good :dbgrtmb:I'll be doing some touring next month but the only part of Greece I shall be going to will be Laconia.In 1963 I was working at sea and we were one of the ships that rushed to try...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jimb0b

Any preference to suggestions??

Thanks Steve what you have done with the grapes is kind of what I have in mind right on the edge of the polly tunnel so the roots can spread both inside and outJames
    Thanks Steve what you have done with the grapes is kind of what I have in mind right on the edge of the polly tunnel so the roots can spread both inside and outJames
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Poly Hive

My bodged poly due to sloping ground

Showing the height difference I had to deal with. No doubt there are better ways but this is what I thought of.
    Showing the height difference I had to deal with. No doubt there are better ways but this is what I thought of.
    DSCF2127.jpg DSCF2150[1]a.jpg DSCF2151[1]a.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. wavebuster

HOW MANY?

A gardener I have a great respect for is Richard Sandford of Lower Lovetts Farm Lower Lovetts Farm ::He grows his tomatoes in smallish pots too.From this gallery Lower Lovetts Farm ::...
    A gardener I have a great respect for is Richard Sandford of Lower Lovetts Farm Lower Lovetts Farm ::He grows his tomatoes in smallish pots too.From this gallery Lower Lovetts Farm :: DetailsSteve...:)
    A gardener I have a great respect for is Richard Sandford of Lower Lovetts Farm Lower Lovetts Farm ::He grows his tomatoes in smallish pots too.From this gallery Lower Lovetts Farm :: DetailsSteve...:)
    A gardener I have a great respect for is Richard Sandford of Lower Lovetts Farm Lower Lovetts Farm ::He grows his tomatoes in smallish pots too.From this gallery Lower Lovetts Farm ::...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Quackerjack

Solar Powered Fan to aid ventilation?

Dick always seemed to work backwards, he`d build whatever it was then try to figure why it didnt work, physics and thermodynamics arent his thing ;) It would be great if a cubic metre of...
    Dick always seemed to work backwards, he`d build whatever it was then try to figure why it didnt work, physics and thermodynamics arent his thing ;) It would be great if a cubic metre of gravel/broken glass and a pc fan could heat and cool a greenhouse but tbh a hot cuppa tea (heating) and an...
    Dick always seemed to work backwards, he`d build whatever it was then try to figure why it didnt work, physics and thermodynamics arent his thing ;) It would be great if a cubic metre of gravel/broken glass and a pc fan could heat and cool a...
    Dick always seemed to work backwards, he`d build whatever it was then try to figure why it didnt work, physics and thermodynamics arent his thing ;) It would be great if a cubic metre of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Davidsup

Using windbreak netting on top to protect and tightening cover polytunnel

I used webbing straps with 18" ground anchors, loosely tied so not to bend the plastic but will not allow it to expand in the wind. 3 on a 9m tunnel
    I used webbing straps with 18" ground anchors, loosely tied so not to bend the plastic but will not allow it to expand in the wind. 3 on a 9m tunnel
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice