1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. noisette47

Reliable Seed Suppliers

I've now got a cart at Plantworld Seeds (UK) . They do ship to Canada so that looks like my best bet so far. :scratch:
    I've now got a cart at Plantworld Seeds (UK) . They do ship to Canada so that looks like my best bet so far. :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Seed sowing 2024

The cosmos sweet kisses have come up, the cosmos apricotta are taking longer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Aidan mc

UK seed suppliers (delivering to NI)

I cant read all that can you just sum up what it says.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. "M"

Growing common hazel from cuttings?

Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our...
    Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our previous place, where we did have Hazel, I can't now remember any rooting. I do use Willow and Dogwood...
    Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our previous place, where we did have Hazel, I can't now...
    Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Kristen

Bluebells from Seed ?

Absolutely. I'm sure the kids would love it too.:) As long as they don't eat them. :eeew: :runforhills:
    Absolutely. I'm sure the kids would love it too.:) As long as they don't eat them. :eeew: :runforhills:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. clueless1

Grow lights, heaters etc, on a budget

It's a bit crowded in my grow box:doh:....
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg 2014-01-26 15.09.40.jpg 2014-01-26 15.10.06.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. "M"

Growing seeds without a greenhouse or "heated" propagator?

True! .....and not much light either ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R

F1 seeds

Two parent lines are maintained to produce pure characteristics (lets say one is tall, the other is juicy). They are then crossed and the resulting F1 crop is (lets say!!) both Tall and Juicy....
    Two parent lines are maintained to produce pure characteristics (lets say one is tall, the other is juicy). They are then crossed and the resulting F1 crop is (lets say!!) both Tall and Juicy. Guaranteed every single plant.If you save seed from that (i.e. "F2") you get some Tall, some Juicy,...
    Two parent lines are maintained to produce pure characteristics (lets say one is tall, the other is juicy). They are then crossed and the resulting F1 crop is (lets say!!) both Tall and Juicy. Guaranteed every single plant.If you save seed...
    Two parent lines are maintained to produce pure characteristics (lets say one is tall, the other is juicy). They are then crossed and the resulting F1 crop is (lets say!!) both Tall and Juicy....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R

Soil warming cable - Propogator

Thanks, TG Your greenhouse and propagator is a bit reminiscent of mine. But yours is much neater! I like your explanation so thanks very much. :dbgrtmb: The cable I have in mine is laid out...
    Thanks, TG Your greenhouse and propagator is a bit reminiscent of mine. But yours is much neater! I like your explanation so thanks very much. :dbgrtmb: The cable I have in mine is laid out with no more than about an inch between the runs of cable so there are no 'hot spots'. The heat is...
    Thanks, TG Your greenhouse and propagator is a bit reminiscent of mine. But yours is much neater! I like your explanation so thanks very much. :dbgrtmb: The cable I have in mine is laid out with no more than about an inch between the runs of...
    Thanks, TG Your greenhouse and propagator is a bit reminiscent of mine. But yours is much neater! I like your explanation so thanks very much. :dbgrtmb: The cable I have in mine is laid out...
    P1180849.JPG GH 130109 (1).jpg P1110660.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kristen

Propagating Ipomoea batatas

Magic power? Grafting :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Coolsox

How long does Cobaea scandens take to flower from seed?

Thanks Vicky, first time I've grown them and I am impressed :), definitely be growing them again next year :dbgrtmb:
    Thanks Vicky, first time I've grown them and I am impressed :), definitely be growing them again next year :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sal73

Growing iris from seeds

The Pacific Coast hybrid Iris do not like root disturbance so prick them out as small plants very carefully and get them growing on as quickly as possible into planting out size. I can get the...
    The Pacific Coast hybrid Iris do not like root disturbance so prick them out as small plants very carefully and get them growing on as quickly as possible into planting out size. I can get the seed of these to germinate like Cress, but getting them to reach flowering size is another matter.
    The Pacific Coast hybrid Iris do not like root disturbance so prick them out as small plants very carefully and get them growing on as quickly as possible into planting out size. I can get the seed of these to germinate like Cress, but getting...
    The Pacific Coast hybrid Iris do not like root disturbance so prick them out as small plants very carefully and get them growing on as quickly as possible into planting out size. I can get the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. trogre

Electric Propagator

Hi Dave - nice to see some figures. Its a good point to make - to keep any sand well watered. When I first bought a heated propagator, in my naivety - without thinking , I assumed that all the...
    Hi Dave - nice to see some figures. Its a good point to make - to keep any sand well watered. When I first bought a heated propagator, in my naivety - without thinking , I assumed that all the inside of the propagator would be at a constant temperature. However I did some experiments and found...
    Hi Dave - nice to see some figures. Its a good point to make - to keep any sand well watered. When I first bought a heated propagator, in my naivety - without thinking , I assumed that all the inside of the propagator would be at a constant...
    Hi Dave - nice to see some figures. Its a good point to make - to keep any sand well watered. When I first bought a heated propagator, in my naivety - without thinking , I assumed that all the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fat Controller

Lavatera cuttings

Sounds about right to me, they should be 4 to 6" long. Lavatera are good confidence builders, they root quite easily. You could try salvia and sambucus too.
    Sounds about right to me, they should be 4 to 6" long. Lavatera are good confidence builders, they root quite easily. You could try salvia and sambucus too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. philomel

Euonymus cuttings

thankin' you kindly M :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. noisette47

Agapanthus root cuttings

?? dont know with that one Spruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Irmemac

Struggling Sweet Peas

I did once before, and they seemed to do ok. I don't have anywhere that's sheltered enough to put them in the ground so this seems like the best option for this year. I'm sure yours will look...
    I did once before, and they seemed to do ok. I don't have anywhere that's sheltered enough to put them in the ground so this seems like the best option for this year. I'm sure yours will look lovely wherever you decide to put them :spinning:!
    I did once before, and they seemed to do ok. I don't have anywhere that's sheltered enough to put them in the ground so this seems like the best option for this year. I'm sure yours will look lovely wherever you decide to put them :spinning:!
    I did once before, and they seemed to do ok. I don't have anywhere that's sheltered enough to put them in the ground so this seems like the best option for this year. I'm sure yours will look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. kyleleonard

Best time/way to divide Heuchera?

Hey if it works for you thats all that matters, "Stuff" made me laugh and the day I have had in work I needed a that . Spruce
    Hey if it works for you thats all that matters, "Stuff" made me laugh and the day I have had in work I needed a that . Spruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Scrungee

Producing your own seed spuds from mini tubers, cuttings, etc.

18 Days since taking cuttings and 50% have now rooted.I'll need to keep them growing until the end of September to get decent sized micro tubers, so might bin those that haven't taken yet.
    18 Days since taking cuttings and 50% have now rooted.I'll need to keep them growing until the end of September to get decent sized micro tubers, so might bin those that haven't taken yet.
    kondor mini tuber.jpg scab.jpg KondorB.jpg kondorA.jpg kondor sterilized.jpg kondor sprouts.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. IceColdRum
    Like x 3

Big Sunflowers

Some of mine have started to come up now :) the giants seem to be slow starters though here are some photos of 'Firecracker' an F1 variety I got in a seed swap so I've no idea what will come up and...
    Some of mine have started to come up now :) the giants seem to be slow starters though here are some photos of 'Firecracker' an F1 variety I got in a seed swap so I've no idea what will come up and also the starting of 'Mongolian Giant'Sent on the go from my telephone
    Some of mine have started to come up now :) the giants seem to be slow starters though here are some photos of 'Firecracker' an F1 variety I got in a seed swap so I've no idea what will come up and also the starting of 'Mongolian Giant'Sent...
    Some of mine have started to come up now :) the giants seem to be slow starters though here are some photos of 'Firecracker' an F1 variety I got in a seed swap so I've no idea what will come up and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. longk

Germinating Pancratium maritimum seed

I'm shy about naming duds as it may be me that is at fault ... but there again I think the seed companies rely on that a bit.I grew about a dozen varieties of Delphinium last year. Identical...
    I'm shy about naming duds as it may be me that is at fault ... but there again I think the seed companies rely on that a bit.I grew about a dozen varieties of Delphinium last year. Identical mini seed trays, sown at the same time, side by side, chilled for several months over winter and then...
    I'm shy about naming duds as it may be me that is at fault ... but there again I think the seed companies rely on that a bit.I grew about a dozen varieties of Delphinium last year. Identical mini seed trays, sown at the same time, side by...
    I'm shy about naming duds as it may be me that is at fault ... but there again I think the seed companies rely on that a bit.I grew about a dozen varieties of Delphinium last year. Identical...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Balc
    Like x 5

Seed sowing 2022

I sow Sweet Peas in toilet roll tubes half filled with potting compost and topped off with seed compost. A sowing a few weeks back left a few tubes with "no shows" so the next sowing I just popped...
    I sow Sweet Peas in toilet roll tubes half filled with potting compost and topped off with seed compost. A sowing a few weeks back left a few tubes with "no shows" so the next sowing I just popped further seeds in these tubes and other fresh tubes. And yes, "no shows" again in these tubes though...
    I sow Sweet Peas in toilet roll tubes half filled with potting compost and topped off with seed compost. A sowing a few weeks back left a few tubes with "no shows" so the next sowing I just popped further seeds in these tubes and other fresh...
    I sow Sweet Peas in toilet roll tubes half filled with potting compost and topped off with seed compost. A sowing a few weeks back left a few tubes with "no shows" so the next sowing I just popped...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. PeterS

Seed germination on damp paper

That's how much we got ours for - well done!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice