Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. liliana

What seeds do you sow in January?

I've set off a total of 80 correopsis seeds yesterday in my new grow box.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. thriftybri

help wanted fine seed sowing

This is the benefit of gardening forums such as Gardeners Corner. OK, yes usually the seed packet carries some instructions for sowing. These instructions are usually based upon experience...
    This is the benefit of gardening forums such as Gardeners Corner. OK, yes usually the seed packet carries some instructions for sowing. These instructions are usually based upon experience gained through the various trial stages. The forum comments help fill in what hasn't been written and...
    This is the benefit of gardening forums such as Gardeners Corner. OK, yes usually the seed packet carries some instructions for sowing. These instructions are usually based upon experience gained through the various trial stages. The forum...
    This is the benefit of gardening forums such as Gardeners Corner. OK, yes usually the seed packet carries some instructions for sowing. These instructions are usually based upon experience...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sarah Giles

Reusing propagator soil?

It's not that serious, but it's surprising how much compost you get through when filling seed trays and pots. :)
    It's not that serious, but it's surprising how much compost you get through when filling seed trays and pots. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Kristen

Cuttings - Late Starting this Year

Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to...
    Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to hold the cut open. It let's a callous form before removing the cutting, which is done in October or...
    Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to hold the cut open. It let's a callous form before...
    Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Fat Controller

Tuber overwintering

Now that's what you call a Dahlia !!!! Up to 30 feet tall.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. begoodian

When to start seeds indoors in Glasgow

Its changed in the short time that I have lived here - it seems to be constantly changing, especially Richmond
    Its changed in the short time that I have lived here - it seems to be constantly changing, especially Richmond
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. nFrost

Blood Fish and Bone on new sown seeds?

not at first, no. but i have now! lol.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wtluke

Sowing in a conservatory

No worries! That's the one! Excellent. I'll try that. Any suggestions for vine-like things to grow up, and potentially over, some of the conservatory? Don't want it to damage the glass or...
    No worries! That's the one! Excellent. I'll try that. Any suggestions for vine-like things to grow up, and potentially over, some of the conservatory? Don't want it to damage the glass or the branches become as hard as nails, but I thought something wispy and elegant might look nice,...
    No worries! That's the one! Excellent. I'll try that. Any suggestions for vine-like things to grow up, and potentially over, some of the conservatory? Don't want it to damage the glass or the branches become as hard as nails, but I...
    No worries! That's the one! Excellent. I'll try that. Any suggestions for vine-like things to grow up, and potentially over, some of the conservatory? Don't want it to damage the glass or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Kristen

Propagating Ipomoea batatas

Magic power? Grafting :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. sal73

Laburnum from cutting

I grafted onto a self sown seedling in my front garden. Strange in that it split at ground level into two quite strong shoots about about four ft high, I grafted one bud onto each stem at about...
    I grafted onto a self sown seedling in my front garden. Strange in that it split at ground level into two quite strong shoots about about four ft high, I grafted one bud onto each stem at about 3ft 6ins, and twisted one stem around the other and bound them tight. The two bulges in the trunk...
    I grafted onto a self sown seedling in my front garden. Strange in that it split at ground level into two quite strong shoots about about four ft high, I grafted one bud onto each stem at about 3ft 6ins, and twisted one stem around the other and...
    I grafted onto a self sown seedling in my front garden. Strange in that it split at ground level into two quite strong shoots about about four ft high, I grafted one bud onto each stem at about...
    May 12 104.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. james swann

what 's the best unheated propagator you've used?

I have never bought an unheated propagator as such. I have always bought seed trays at £1 or less, and seperate transparent tops for £1. I have 20 or more of these combinations, but they have...
    I have never bought an unheated propagator as such. I have always bought seed trays at £1 or less, and seperate transparent tops for £1. I have 20 or more of these combinations, but they have never cost more than £2 each. The tops don't have vents which makes them cheaper - so what. If you want...
    I have never bought an unheated propagator as such. I have always bought seed trays at £1 or less, and seperate transparent tops for £1. I have 20 or more of these combinations, but they have never cost more than £2 each. The tops don't have...
    I have never bought an unheated propagator as such. I have always bought seed trays at £1 or less, and seperate transparent tops for £1. I have 20 or more of these combinations, but they have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. groundbeetle

When to put Aubretia seedlings outside?

The pots of Aubretia seedlings I had kept on the kitchen windowsill I planted in bigger pots outside, and some survived a bit but others just seem to have got obliterated by the heavy rain. The...
    The pots of Aubretia seedlings I had kept on the kitchen windowsill I planted in bigger pots outside, and some survived a bit but others just seem to have got obliterated by the heavy rain. The ones that I put outside but kept them in their small pots have done well, though they grew slowly and...
    The pots of Aubretia seedlings I had kept on the kitchen windowsill I planted in bigger pots outside, and some survived a bit but others just seem to have got obliterated by the heavy rain. The ones that I put outside but kept them in their...
    The pots of Aubretia seedlings I had kept on the kitchen windowsill I planted in bigger pots outside, and some survived a bit but others just seem to have got obliterated by the heavy rain. The...
    D2832AB0-B14A-43A9-A6F1-5680A77FF57D_1_201_a.jpeg 2A3D8F3D-A82A-4525-B7AD-0C4A0001CDCA_1_201_a.jpeg C0065C4F-19E6-4FEC-B1BE-946643131B99_1_201_a.jpeg C77FCFB2-6AC4-4CB7-BEDE-B6C20D72F40E_1_201_a.jpeg F562E953-823A-4EDB-95F8-8EA28DAF4B47.jpeg EDD5CD3B-6EFF-4566-BD7C-649765C49BCD_1_201_a.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. earlydaze
    Informative x 6

Cuttings that root in water

@Grannybee I’ve been collecting those little bottles from cake decorations and sprinkles as well! Very handy size for single sprigs and cuttings. I’m having to eat an awful lot of ice cream to...
    @Grannybee I’ve been collecting those little bottles from cake decorations and sprinkles as well! Very handy size for single sprigs and cuttings. I’m having to eat an awful lot of ice cream to use up the sprinkles though!
    @Grannybee I’ve been collecting those little bottles from cake decorations and sprinkles as well! Very handy size for single sprigs and cuttings. I’m having to eat an awful lot of ice cream to use up the sprinkles though!
    @Grannybee I’ve been collecting those little bottles from cake decorations and sprinkles as well! Very handy size for single sprigs and cuttings. I’m having to eat an awful lot of ice cream to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Aldo

Seeds left exposed to heater - what temperature would damage them?

@NigelJ Thanks so much! All clear, I will sow mine in pots this weekend I think, and bide my time for a dryish and frost free few days once they are ready and hardened off. I really hope they...
    @NigelJ Thanks so much! All clear, I will sow mine in pots this weekend I think, and bide my time for a dryish and frost free few days once they are ready and hardened off. I really hope they grow, I love broad beans but did not get much at all from my first attempts this Summer.
    @NigelJ Thanks so much! All clear, I will sow mine in pots this weekend I think, and bide my time for a dryish and frost free few days once they are ready and hardened off. I really hope they grow, I love broad beans but did not get much at all...
    @NigelJ Thanks so much! All clear, I will sow mine in pots this weekend I think, and bide my time for a dryish and frost free few days once they are ready and hardened off. I really hope they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Hobbynut

Help plug plants

Many thanks!
    Many thanks!
    Many thanks!
    Many thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. wiseowl

Wallflowers Sowing

I think KFF has diagnosed my problem - last lot of wallflowers were in the conservatory.......after reading your comment, I have moved the latest sowings outside. Thank you for the advice.
    I think KFF has diagnosed my problem - last lot of wallflowers were in the conservatory.......after reading your comment, I have moved the latest sowings outside. Thank you for the advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Fat Controller

When will be safe to plant out?

Right, I need to get round to sorting this passiflora today - its not looking happy at all in the kitchen now, with a load of leaves having dropped off leaving only bare stem; what is best for...
    Right, I need to get round to sorting this passiflora today - its not looking happy at all in the kitchen now, with a load of leaves having dropped off leaving only bare stem; what is best for this - sink it as deep as possible in the bigger pot and hope that it spurs on some growth, or cut it...
    Right, I need to get round to sorting this passiflora today - its not looking happy at all in the kitchen now, with a load of leaves having dropped off leaving only bare stem; what is best for this - sink it as deep as possible in the bigger pot...
    Right, I need to get round to sorting this passiflora today - its not looking happy at all in the kitchen now, with a load of leaves having dropped off leaving only bare stem; what is best for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. begoodian

Potting on seedlings

Seedlings tend not to worry too much about the exact potting compost, or even the exact watering. But I think the cold gets to everything.
    Seedlings tend not to worry too much about the exact potting compost, or even the exact watering. But I think the cold gets to everything.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. intel

Plug Plant Trainer

On a more general note; looking back I realise I spent and wasted a lot of money buying all sorts of things when I started gardening. Its amazing how you can get the same results much cheaper by...
    On a more general note; looking back I realise I spent and wasted a lot of money buying all sorts of things when I started gardening. Its amazing how you can get the same results much cheaper by improvising.
    On a more general note; looking back I realise I spent and wasted a lot of money buying all sorts of things when I started gardening. Its amazing how you can get the same results much cheaper by improvising.
    On a more general note; looking back I realise I spent and wasted a lot of money buying all sorts of things when I started gardening. Its amazing how you can get the same results much cheaper by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. "M"

Growing common hazel from cuttings?

Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our...
    Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our previous place, where we did have Hazel, I can't now remember any rooting. I do use Willow and Dogwood...
    Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our previous place, where we did have Hazel, I can't now...
    Actually that's a good point Palustris ... I think of all the things I do use as pea-sticks the one thing that isn't in the mix for me is Hazel as I don't have any big enough, yet, and at our...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice