Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. marjoriesseedling

Ventilation and propagation

Another question is, where is the propagator ? Is it inside by a window. If so, you want to be careful you do not turn the propagator into a solar oven. Though if you have a taste for roasted...
    Another question is, where is the propagator ? Is it inside by a window. If so, you want to be careful you do not turn the propagator into a solar oven. Though if you have a taste for roasted seeds :)
    Another question is, where is the propagator ? Is it inside by a window. If so, you want to be careful you do not turn the propagator into a solar oven. Though if you have a taste for roasted seeds :)
    Another question is, where is the propagator ? Is it inside by a window. If so, you want to be careful you do not turn the propagator into a solar oven. Though if you have a taste for roasted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. JackJJW

Light box and capillary matting - fungal diseases

Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup: Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally...
    Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup: Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally might prevent it.:dunno:I'm going to try cornmeal round the base of my Roses,said to prevent black...
    Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup: Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally might prevent it.:dunno:I'm going to try cornmeal round the...
    Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup: Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. IGraham

propagation day/ night temperature

Some seed of the South African bulbous plants appreciate a day/night temperature variation.
    Some seed of the South African bulbous plants appreciate a day/night temperature variation.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JFH

Where do I start?

Dig the whole lot over. Remove all the weeds you can and put them in a big compost heap. Don't use a Rotavator for this as you will be making more work in the long run. Work little and often,...
    Dig the whole lot over. Remove all the weeds you can and put them in a big compost heap. Don't use a Rotavator for this as you will be making more work in the long run. Work little and often, maybe an hour or two per week, otherwise you will loose interest and energy in it.Wouldn't worry over...
    Dig the whole lot over. Remove all the weeds you can and put them in a big compost heap. Don't use a Rotavator for this as you will be making more work in the long run. Work little and often, maybe an hour or two per week, otherwise you will...
    Dig the whole lot over. Remove all the weeds you can and put them in a big compost heap. Don't use a Rotavator for this as you will be making more work in the long run. Work little and often,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. hydrogardener
    Like x 3

Rooting cuttings indoors

Cute, reminds me of a ship in a bottle. My grandmother used to say: "There are more ways than one to skin a cat." Not that I remember the poor old dear ever skinning a cat.;)
    Cute, reminds me of a ship in a bottle. My grandmother used to say: "There are more ways than one to skin a cat." Not that I remember the poor old dear ever skinning a cat.;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Chris53

Propagating cuttings - condensation question

Chris its best not to cover Geraniums with a plastic bag . They do not need the extra humidity , and are prone to stem rot if too wet . They should germinate fine without covering . I leave them...
    Chris its best not to cover Geraniums with a plastic bag . They do not need the extra humidity , and are prone to stem rot if too wet . They should germinate fine without covering . I leave them for about 10 weeks and then pot them on .
    Chris its best not to cover Geraniums with a plastic bag . They do not need the extra humidity , and are prone to stem rot if too wet . They should germinate fine without covering . I leave them for about 10 weeks and then pot them on .
    Chris its best not to cover Geraniums with a plastic bag . They do not need the extra humidity , and are prone to stem rot if too wet . They should germinate fine without covering . I leave them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. longk
    Like x 3

Seeds to sow now for the spring

In pots which are in the coldframe.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Lolimac
    Like x 4

Sowing in leaf mould....

Get plugged in Lolli.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Kristen

Cuttings - Late Starting this Year

Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to...
    Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to hold the cut open. It let's a callous form before removing the cutting, which is done in October or...
    Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to hold the cut open. It let's a callous form before...
    Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jungle Jane

Taking Lavender Cuttings

I bought mine from Van Meuwen - about 20p each I think - tiny, but potted on for a season and planted out early Summer (no earlier!) and they were away. That's fine if you are happy with L....
    I bought mine from Van Meuwen - about 20p each I think - tiny, but potted on for a season and planted out early Summer (no earlier!) and they were away. That's fine if you are happy with L. Munstead ... I have since bought a few plants of specific variety that I am propagating up ready to...
    I bought mine from Van Meuwen - about 20p each I think - tiny, but potted on for a season and planted out early Summer (no earlier!) and they were away. That's fine if you are happy with L. Munstead ... I have since bought a few plants of...
    I bought mine from Van Meuwen - about 20p each I think - tiny, but potted on for a season and planted out early Summer (no earlier!) and they were away. That's fine if you are happy with L....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. westwales

Agapanthus from seed

Exactly the way that I do Galtonia seeds which is another SA member of the Hyacinthaceae family.
    Exactly the way that I do Galtonia seeds which is another SA member of the Hyacinthaceae family.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Howard Shaw

Trying to root Hydrangeas from cuttings in a water spray Propergator ?

:blue thumb:I have learnt a lot from the ones I have watched.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. DomCraig

Cool Wave trailing Pansies.

I've grown both summer and winter pansies and not excluded light but did keep them out of direct sunlight until they were almost ready to plant out.
    I've grown both summer and winter pansies and not excluded light but did keep them out of direct sunlight until they were almost ready to plant out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. zappamusic2010

Collecting Himalayan Blue Poppy Seeds

The seed looks perfect Zappa! It's amazing how many the pods hold. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kristen
    Informative x 5

Sowing seeds in "topping substrate"

I came across this technique about 10 years ago in Creative Propagation by Peter Thompson 2nd edition and have used it every year since. Generally works well apart from the occasional cock up on...
    I came across this technique about 10 years ago in Creative Propagation by Peter Thompson 2nd edition and have used it every year since. Generally works well apart from the occasional cock up on my part; like using what is available as grit, rather than getting the 6mm recommended. Try and avoid...
    I came across this technique about 10 years ago in Creative Propagation by Peter Thompson 2nd edition and have used it every year since. Generally works well apart from the occasional cock up on my part; like using what is available as grit,...
    I came across this technique about 10 years ago in Creative Propagation by Peter Thompson 2nd edition and have used it every year since. Generally works well apart from the occasional cock up on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Kristen

Grafting Challenge

I grew this successfully many years ago and am growing it again this year. The trick IMO is to use a lumpy MPC, or add plenty of perlite. In both cases add a fair bit of sand as it's a desert...
    I grew this successfully many years ago and am growing it again this year. The trick IMO is to use a lumpy MPC, or add plenty of perlite. In both cases add a fair bit of sand as it's a desert dweller. Grafting is not something that seems worth the effort as it only adds 2, 3 or 4 years to its...
    I grew this successfully many years ago and am growing it again this year. The trick IMO is to use a lumpy MPC, or add plenty of perlite. In both cases add a fair bit of sand as it's a desert dweller. Grafting is not something that seems worth...
    I grew this successfully many years ago and am growing it again this year. The trick IMO is to use a lumpy MPC, or add plenty of perlite. In both cases add a fair bit of sand as it's a desert...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. longk
    Like x 8

Thysanotus multiflorus

It better had be after all this!No idea - at this rate several years, although I suspect that the truth will be sometime next year.I now toss all the failures down in one spot in the garden....
    It better had be after all this!No idea - at this rate several years, although I suspect that the truth will be sometime next year.I now toss all the failures down in one spot in the garden. I prick out and grow on all sorts of weeds, but sometimes there is something in there that...
    It better had be after all this!No idea - at this rate several years, although I suspect that the truth will be sometime next year.I now toss all the failures down in one spot in the garden. I prick out and grow on all sorts of weeds, but...
    It better had be after all this!No idea - at this rate several years, although I suspect that the truth will be sometime next year.I now toss all the failures down in one spot in the garden....
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. DaveS

New propergator. What to grow

Just remember, exotic stuff needs love:grphg: I keep telling myself that and then ignore the wise man inside myself:heehee:
    Just remember, exotic stuff needs love:grphg: I keep telling myself that and then ignore the wise man inside myself:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Noushynoo

Are these ready to repot?

See, that's what's great about being on here. Every single seed packet says to pot on 'when they're big enough to handle'. None ever mention when the true leaves arrive (or what they are) or that...
    See, that's what's great about being on here. Every single seed packet says to pot on 'when they're big enough to handle'. None ever mention when the true leaves arrive (or what they are) or that what might be ok for me to handle with small nimble fingers might not be ok for someone else, or as...
    See, that's what's great about being on here. Every single seed packet says to pot on 'when they're big enough to handle'. None ever mention when the true leaves arrive (or what they are) or that what might be ok for me to handle with small...
    See, that's what's great about being on here. Every single seed packet says to pot on 'when they're big enough to handle'. None ever mention when the true leaves arrive (or what they are) or that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Posey

Perennials from Seed - Beginner Question!

To give a proper answer though we need to know what they are, how advanced they are and what size pots are they in?Photos would be good too:blue thumb:
    To give a proper answer though we need to know what they are, how advanced they are and what size pots are they in?Photos would be good too:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice