1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Igrowfromseed
    Like x 3

Nicotiana seedlings

That will keep you busy! :blue thumb: They look good. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. JJ28

next year....

I reckon runner bean pods are best left on the plant [1] until they go crispy, then let them dry out further under cover, and dry out some more after removing from the pods until they are...
    I reckon runner bean pods are best left on the plant [1] until they go crispy, then let them dry out further under cover, and dry out some more after removing from the pods until they are thouroughly dry before packing away.Some varieties are harder to save than others. I find White Lady...
    I reckon runner bean pods are best left on the plant [1] until they go crispy, then let them dry out further under cover, and dry out some more after removing from the pods until they are thouroughly dry before packing away.Some varieties are...
    I reckon runner bean pods are best left on the plant [1] until they go crispy, then let them dry out further under cover, and dry out some more after removing from the pods until they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Lolimac
    Like x 6

New to me...

Florists use it for cut flowers - really odd feeling stuff when dry
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. DaveS

New propergator. What to grow

Just remember, exotic stuff needs love:grphg: I keep telling myself that and then ignore the wise man inside myself:heehee:
    Just remember, exotic stuff needs love:grphg: I keep telling myself that and then ignore the wise man inside myself:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. thunda600

New house lawn care

I use Evergreen / verdone every April on my lawns . Its liquid and you apply by watering can . If you do it in the evening when the little un is in bed , it will be fully absorbed into the lawn...
    I use Evergreen / verdone every April on my lawns . Its liquid and you apply by watering can . If you do it in the evening when the little un is in bed , it will be fully absorbed into the lawn in a few hours . Read the H and S warnings though to be sure.
    I use Evergreen / verdone every April on my lawns . Its liquid and you apply by watering can . If you do it in the evening when the little un is in bed , it will be fully absorbed into the lawn in a few hours . Read the H and S warnings though...
    I use Evergreen / verdone every April on my lawns . Its liquid and you apply by watering can . If you do it in the evening when the little un is in bed , it will be fully absorbed into the lawn...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. CanadianLori

Never tried to root a tree cutting, need advice please

Lake Superior has lots of nice beaches to visit.. in the summer :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. "M"
    Like x 4

My experiment with "cuttings" (and a question or three)

Yes, that's where they got the name. The salicylic acid is derived from the bark of the willow and used quite a bit in skin care products. Commercial aspirin is Acetylsalicylic Acid. Also...
    Yes, that's where they got the name. The salicylic acid is derived from the bark of the willow and used quite a bit in skin care products. Commercial aspirin is Acetylsalicylic Acid. Also originating from the willow. In days of yore (actually, days of mine :heehee: ) the herbalists/witchdoctors...
    Yes, that's where they got the name. The salicylic acid is derived from the bark of the willow and used quite a bit in skin care products. Commercial aspirin is Acetylsalicylic Acid. Also originating from the willow. In days of yore...
    Yes, that's where they got the name. The salicylic acid is derived from the bark of the willow and used quite a bit in skin care products. Commercial aspirin is Acetylsalicylic Acid. Also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. K78

Moving and splitting ferns.

Experience says a lot as my friends have posted. However ferns as we refer to them actually are an interesting genus. Most of us have probably suddenly found a fern growing in the compost. ...
    Experience says a lot as my friends have posted. However ferns as we refer to them actually are an interesting genus. Most of us have probably suddenly found a fern growing in the compost. These most likely will be from the common bracken or hard fern. Once considered a woodland pest, weed...
    Experience says a lot as my friends have posted. However ferns as we refer to them actually are an interesting genus. Most of us have probably suddenly found a fern growing in the compost. These most likely will be from the common bracken or...
    Experience says a lot as my friends have posted. However ferns as we refer to them actually are an interesting genus. Most of us have probably suddenly found a fern growing in the compost. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Bilbo675
    Like x 8

More Hellebore Seedlings..

Grandmother and eggs come to mind. Sorry, but I was sent some seedlings last year and they had been so badly packed and had dried out, so they did not survive.
    Grandmother and eggs come to mind. Sorry, but I was sent some seedlings last year and they had been so badly packed and had dried out, so they did not survive.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fat Controller

Marigold germination

I plumped for the 15-cell trays in the end - 20 packs of 10, so 3000 plants worth assuming my maths is right. I'll post back when I get them regarding the quality :) Apologies for the poor...
    I plumped for the 15-cell trays in the end - 20 packs of 10, so 3000 plants worth assuming my maths is right. I'll post back when I get them regarding the quality :) Apologies for the poor quality of the picture, but if you look closely at the tray at the top of this image, that is the...
    I plumped for the 15-cell trays in the end - 20 packs of 10, so 3000 plants worth assuming my maths is right. I'll post back when I get them regarding the quality :) Apologies for the poor quality of the picture, but if you look closely at the...
    I plumped for the 15-cell trays in the end - 20 packs of 10, so 3000 plants worth assuming my maths is right. I'll post back when I get them regarding the quality :) Apologies for the poor...
    IMAG0218.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. cymro

lupinus arboreus

It's an old thread, but I just ordered a bulk of seeds, tree lupin being one of them. I'm really happy it requires 'no special treatment'. I will need to return here for reference, however. :thumbsup:
    It's an old thread, but I just ordered a bulk of seeds, tree lupin being one of them. I'm really happy it requires 'no special treatment'. I will need to return here for reference, however. :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. noksucow

lupin seeds

Just the stems below the seeds. If all your Lupins are finished you can cut them down to the ground and then let them sprout back up next year bigger and better.:snork:
    Just the stems below the seeds. If all your Lupins are finished you can cut them down to the ground and then let them sprout back up next year bigger and better.:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. PeterJ

Looking after seedlings once germinated

@PeterJ it depends on what you are growing too. I tend to grow a lot of annuals so I am used to the pot shifting dance. By the time I am able to plant out them out, I usually have about 150 to 180...
    @PeterJ it depends on what you are growing too. I tend to grow a lot of annuals so I am used to the pot shifting dance. By the time I am able to plant out them out, I usually have about 150 to 180 little pots of annuals. Lots of running up and down the stairs.And I still buy more in the...
    @PeterJ it depends on what you are growing too. I tend to grow a lot of annuals so I am used to the pot shifting dance. By the time I am able to plant out them out, I usually have about 150 to 180 little pots of annuals. Lots of running up and...
    @PeterJ it depends on what you are growing too. I tend to grow a lot of annuals so I am used to the pot shifting dance. By the time I am able to plant out them out, I usually have about 150 to 180...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Snorky85

London Pride

Agree, and I did ... from Shineyland :hapydancsmil: My variegated London Pride from Shineyland is a sort after "wannabe" amongst my garden club friends: now I have a grow house, they stand a chance of a...
    Agree, and I did ... from Shineyland :hapydancsmil: My variegated London Pride from Shineyland is a sort after "wannabe" amongst my garden club friends: now I have a grow house, they stand a chance of a cutting (or half :th scifD36: ) They can have a whole one is they give a contribution to "the cause" ;) :heehee: :thumbsup:
    Agree, and I did ... from Shineyland :hapydancsmil: My variegated London Pride from Shineyland is a sort after "wannabe" amongst my garden club friends: now I have a grow house, they stand a chance of a cutting (or half :th scifD36: ) They can have a whole one is they...
    Agree, and I did ... from Shineyland :hapydancsmil: My variegated London Pride from Shineyland is a sort after "wannabe" amongst my garden club friends: now I have a grow house, they stand a chance of a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Palustris

Liver wort on Seed pots

Careful Pete, you'll find your greenhouse full of Pals's seed trays :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Dorothy

limping dahlia cuttings

Hi no they were not hollow and it is not in direct sun.I have accidentely done two threads on the same subject:oopss:
    Hi no they were not hollow and it is not in direct sun.I have accidentely done two threads on the same subject:oopss:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Dorothy

limping dahlia cuttings

I agree with Sal about putting a plastic bag over the pot (I attach mine to the pot with an elastic band, so that the bottom of the pot is still "open" so I can stand it in water for a few minutes...
    I agree with Sal about putting a plastic bag over the pot (I attach mine to the pot with an elastic band, so that the bottom of the pot is still "open" so I can stand it in water for a few minutes if it dries out (which it probably won't do until the cutting is rooted). I root Dahlias out of...
    I agree with Sal about putting a plastic bag over the pot (I attach mine to the pot with an elastic band, so that the bottom of the pot is still "open" so I can stand it in water for a few minutes if it dries out (which it probably won't do until...
    I agree with Sal about putting a plastic bag over the pot (I attach mine to the pot with an elastic band, so that the bottom of the pot is still "open" so I can stand it in water for a few minutes...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kristen
    Like x 6

Lily Scaling

Tipped out the bags of lily scales in order to pot them up yesterday. Should have done it a while back as the roots were a bit matted ... I bought 5 lilies of each variety, and from each I...
    Tipped out the bags of lily scales in order to pot them up yesterday. Should have done it a while back as the roots were a bit matted ... I bought 5 lilies of each variety, and from each I took a couple of scales (could perhaps have taken more ...). I've potted up between 7 and 15 pots for...
    Tipped out the bags of lily scales in order to pot them up yesterday. Should have done it a while back as the roots were a bit matted ... I bought 5 lilies of each variety, and from each I took a couple of scales (could perhaps have taken...
    Tipped out the bags of lily scales in order to pot them up yesterday. Should have done it a while back as the roots were a bit matted ... I bought 5 lilies of each variety, and from each I...
    IMG_5856_LilyScaling.jpg IMG_5844_LilySeedlings.jpg IMG_5848_Holly.jpg DSC_0445.jpg IMG_6307_LilyScaling.jpg IMG_6306_LilyScaling.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kandy

Lily Bulbils

I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow. It's not unusual that in their first...
    I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow. It's not unusual that in their first year (2016) they appear to do nothing but in fact under the soil they are setting their roots out. Two...
    I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow. It's not unusual that in their first year (2016) they appear to do nothing but in fact...
    I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow. It's not unusual that in their first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JackJJW

Light box and capillary matting - fungal diseases

Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup: Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally...
    Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup: Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally might prevent it.:dunno:I'm going to try cornmeal round the base of my Roses,said to prevent black...
    Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup: Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally might prevent it.:dunno:I'm going to try cornmeal round the...
    Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup: Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice