Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 3

The Seven Groups Of Roses

thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my climbers are a group in themselves and that a few other groups exist. Very new to roses so just having a...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my climbers are a group in themselves and that a few other...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wiseowl
    Like x 11

The History Of The Peace Rose

Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking bottle of homemade perfume. Bless her, she always put on a surprised look ( as adults we now think it...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking bottle of homemade perfume. Bless her, she always...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky

Rose Replant Disease

Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose where one has been in the last 2 years? You could suffer from rose replant disease and the rose could...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose where one has been in the last 2 years? You could...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Friendly x 3

ROSE PROBLEMS/BLACK SPOT/ Etc

CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects have no effect on your Rose they can be wiped off by hand or or dislodged with a jet of water from...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects have no effect on your Rose they can be wiped off by...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects...
    18cc0b5799bb2ccd75941b9f866888b0--trimming-roses-trim-roses.jpg 789-Rose-Pruning-Diagram.jpg Capture.JPG 74b6f1e8-5b17-11e5-91ef-1b38574a319f-316x316.jpg Sulphur.JPG cuckoo Spit.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl
    Like x 11

Rose Of The Year 2024

Oh thank you, I might have to have a look. I have not bought roses from them before.
    Oh thank you, I might have to have a look. I have not bought roses from them before.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Informative x 4

Propagating A Rose By Taking A Cutting

ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5 leaves,from the stock plant.Remove all except the top two leaf shoots but keep the buds.Cut the...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5 leaves,from the stock plant.Remove all except the...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5...
    P1340546.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wiseowl
    Useful x 7

Pot Sizes

Thank you, That is going to be really helpful!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wiseowl

Members Roses 2024

My rose "Happiness" is looking happy, despite the sogginess of the earth. It's a Meilland short climber than can be grown as a large shrub. Mine is in it's 2nd year here.
    My rose "Happiness" is looking happy, despite the sogginess of the earth. It's a Meilland short climber than can be grown as a large shrub. Mine is in it's 2nd year here.
    Screenshot 2024-01-01 090700.png IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0667.JPG IMG_0668.JPG 20240219_161736.jpg 20240219_161948.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wiseowl

ITS A GOOD TIME TO PRUNE YOUR ROSES

Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch above the bud, slanting away from the bud and I still teach my students that an angled cut allows...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch above the bud, slanting away from the bud and I...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky

Growing Roses In Pots/Containers

Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A young Rose can be started in container smaller than eventually necessary and repotted as it becomes...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A young Rose can be started in container smaller...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Sandy Ground

Black Spot thoughts

Sounds lovely Sandy Ground, the scent of roses is so evocative of a Summer’s day, and I am an inveterate rose sniffer whenever I come across them.
    Sounds lovely Sandy Ground, the scent of roses is so evocative of a Summer’s day, and I am an inveterate rose sniffer whenever I come across them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. martin-f

£1 land roses

My neighbour bought 1, a few years ago, came home triumphant, "I bought a Rose can you pot it for me" had a cursory look pronounced life extinct, she went back to shop and got her £1 back. :loll:
    My neighbour bought 1, a few years ago, came home triumphant, "I bought a Rose can you pot it for me" had a cursory look pronounced life extinct, she went back to shop and got her £1 back. :loll:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. chriskon

Your most fragrant Hybrid tea...

@maggiev, any idea when this happened?I got a bit of a shock when I tried to use the link I have for Fryers - I thought they had gone bust!
    @maggiev, any idea when this happened?I got a bit of a shock when I tried to use the link I have for Fryers - I thought they had gone bust!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. karaman

yellowing rose leaves - why?

big thank you to all -- not a watering problem but will improve my lamentable lack of feeding the poor thing. i wouldnt like it if i didnt get any food...... thanks again, karaman
    big thank you to all -- not a watering problem but will improve my lamentable lack of feeding the poor thing. i wouldnt like it if i didnt get any food...... thanks again, karaman
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. CrystalT

Yellow standard? Rose identification if possible

Hi,You could try and save it, but at 20+ years old is it worth it ?Think we would replace it with a better rose, if you renewed the surrounding soil to avoid any diseases, or just plant ...
    Hi,You could try and save it, but at 20+ years old is it worth it ?Think we would replace it with a better rose, if you renewed the surrounding soil to avoid any diseases, or just plant something totaly different ?
    Hi,You could try and save it, but at 20+ years old is it worth it ?Think we would replace it with a better rose, if you renewed the surrounding soil to avoid any diseases, or just plant something totaly different ?
    Hi,You could try and save it, but at 20+ years old is it worth it ?Think we would replace it with a better rose, if you renewed the surrounding soil to avoid any diseases, or just plant ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. merleworld

Yellow shrub Rose suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions :) Woo and simbad you must be psychic because apart from Happy Child I looked at all those earlier :ouch1: Went for Golden Celebration in the end, such a beautiful colour...
    Thanks for the suggestions :) Woo and simbad you must be psychic because apart from Happy Child I looked at all those earlier :ouch1: Went for Golden Celebration in the end, such a beautiful colour (hope it lives up to expectations 'in the flesh') :wow:
    Thanks for the suggestions :) Woo and simbad you must be psychic because apart from Happy Child I looked at all those earlier :ouch1: Went for Golden Celebration in the end, such a beautiful colour (hope it lives up to expectations 'in the flesh') :wow:
    Thanks for the suggestions :) Woo and simbad you must be psychic because apart from Happy Child I looked at all those earlier :ouch1: Went for Golden Celebration in the end, such a beautiful colour...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Yellow Rose ID ?

I likes roses too but only these:snorky:
    sDSC_0070.jpg sDSC_0068.jpg untitled.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Upsydaisy

Would this be OK??

Thanks will definitely try again next week, as I said on another thread it proved to be too bigger a job for such a hot day yesterday.
    Thanks will definitely try again next week, as I said on another thread it proved to be too bigger a job for such a hot day yesterday.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. wiseowl
    Like x 8

Wot No Roses

It's great their still going! My unknown pink is still going flowering from aug to now :)
    It's great their still going! My unknown pink is still going flowering from aug to now :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. weas3l

Worried about a Rose Bush

There seems to be two posts so I am answering both;) Good afternoon Weas my friend ,wow lets see what advice we can give you to save this senior Rose I to would be upset if we lost your Rose :) 1.Clay...
    There seems to be two posts so I am answering both;) Good afternoon Weas my friend ,wow lets see what advice we can give you to save this senior Rose I to would be upset if we lost your Rose :) 1.Clay is good , Its been moved after all this time and needs time to settle,and is probably stressed,you...
    There seems to be two posts so I am answering both;) Good afternoon Weas my friend ,wow lets see what advice we can give you to save this senior Rose I to would be upset if we lost your Rose :) 1.Clay is good , Its been moved after all this time and...
    There seems to be two posts so I am answering both;) Good afternoon Weas my friend ,wow lets see what advice we can give you to save this senior Rose I to would be upset if we lost your Rose :) 1.Clay...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. weas3l

Worried about a Rose Bush

Keep the faith! I remember my dad buying half a dozen thorny dead looking twigs in plastic bags with a handful of dry compost and stapled cardboard labels from Woolworths in the late 60's. He...
    Keep the faith! I remember my dad buying half a dozen thorny dead looking twigs in plastic bags with a handful of dry compost and stapled cardboard labels from Woolworths in the late 60's. He stood them in a bucket of water for a day or so and then planted them. To my amazement they all grew...
    Keep the faith! I remember my dad buying half a dozen thorny dead looking twigs in plastic bags with a handful of dry compost and stapled cardboard labels from Woolworths in the late 60's. He stood them in a bucket of water for a day or so and...
    Keep the faith! I remember my dad buying half a dozen thorny dead looking twigs in plastic bags with a handful of dry compost and stapled cardboard labels from Woolworths in the late 60's. He...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. CharlieBot

Worried about 2 new roses not budding

If there's very little growth on the roses then I'd move them now. It may set them back by a few weeks but I'm almost certain you'll see flowers on them this year. Yes, the ideal time to move them...
    If there's very little growth on the roses then I'd move them now. It may set them back by a few weeks but I'm almost certain you'll see flowers on them this year. Yes, the ideal time to move them is over the winter period but rules are set to be broken and I've broken quite a few down the years...
    If there's very little growth on the roses then I'd move them now. It may set them back by a few weeks but I'm almost certain you'll see flowers on them this year. Yes, the ideal time to move them is over the winter period but rules are set to be...
    If there's very little growth on the roses then I'd move them now. It may set them back by a few weeks but I'm almost certain you'll see flowers on them this year. Yes, the ideal time to move them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. chickenlicken

worm compost enough feed for roses?

Hi Lisa In my personal opinion would,nt give it too much as the compost from the wormery is very concentrated.I barely feed my roses at all,but that is only me,:dbgrtmb: You could use it neat as a soil...
    Hi Lisa In my personal opinion would,nt give it too much as the compost from the wormery is very concentrated.I barely feed my roses at all,but that is only me,:dbgrtmb: You could use it neat as a soil improver (i.e. dig it into beds, veg garden or borders) or as a top dressing (i.e. spread over the...
    Hi Lisa In my personal opinion would,nt give it too much as the compost from the wormery is very concentrated.I barely feed my roses at all,but that is only me,:dbgrtmb: You could use it neat as a soil improver (i.e. dig it into beds, veg garden or...
    Hi Lisa In my personal opinion would,nt give it too much as the compost from the wormery is very concentrated.I barely feed my roses at all,but that is only me,:dbgrtmb: You could use it neat as a soil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. wiseowl
    Like x 7

Woos Roses are waking up 2015

Good evening Loli my friend and thank you,I'm looking forward to seeing them bloom as well
    Good evening Loli my friend and thank you,I'm looking forward to seeing them bloom as well
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. wiseowl
    Like x 8

Woos Roses 2012

That last rose is so pretty Armandii.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. wiseowl

Woos Rose report

Hello my roses although late are looking exceptionally healthy this year since I have under planted them with everything and not just as usual kept them in a bed on their own:) This is Climbing...
    Hello my roses although late are looking exceptionally healthy this year since I have under planted them with everything and not just as usual kept them in a bed on their own:) This is Climbing rose Guinee Some Roses Some more Roses One I spotted this morning,I did knock at the door but...
    Hello my roses although late are looking exceptionally healthy this year since I have under planted them with everything and not just as usual kept them in a bed on their own:) This is Climbing rose Guinee Some Roses Some more Roses One I...
    Hello my roses although late are looking exceptionally healthy this year since I have under planted them with everything and not just as usual kept them in a bed on their own:) This is Climbing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. wiseowl
    Like x 3

Woos Rose report

Lovely pictures Woo. :dbgrtmb: What did you decide to under plant them with please?
    Lovely pictures Woo. :dbgrtmb: What did you decide to under plant them with please?
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. wiseowl
    Like x 4

Woos Rochester Cathedral Rose Garden

Good morning Hannah,Sheal,M,Loli.thankyou fro your kind and friendly comments,much appreciated my friends"M" Access is free to everyone if they wish just a donation box in the cathedral by the...
    Good morning Hannah,Sheal,M,Loli.thankyou fro your kind and friendly comments,much appreciated my friends"M" Access is free to everyone if they wish just a donation box in the cathedral by the door;)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ We...
    Good morning Hannah,Sheal,M,Loli.thankyou fro your kind and friendly comments,much appreciated my friends"M" Access is free to everyone if they wish just a donation box in the cathedral by the door;)...
    Good morning Hannah,Sheal,M,Loli.thankyou fro your kind and friendly comments,much appreciated my friends"M" Access is free to everyone if they wish just a donation box in the cathedral by the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. wiseowl
    Like x 4

Woos little pruning job

Hi Loli about 40 Roses approximately,but they all want renewing sadly they have been there since 1988(26 years) but the practice manager won't spend the money
    Hi Loli about 40 Roses approximately,but they all want renewing sadly they have been there since 1988(26 years) but the practice manager won't spend the money
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. wiseowl
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. wiseowl
    Like x 5

Woos 5 New Roses

Hallo @wiseowl , My Kerressia I'd in bud now but the blooms will be along soon. I is a beautiful " fresh " yellow.... Jenny namaste
    Hallo @wiseowl , My Kerressia I'd in bud now but the blooms will be along soon. I is a beautiful " fresh " yellow.... Jenny namaste
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice