1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 3

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Adam I

Peaches and Rootstocks

Wow, looks really healthy! Id say that was pretty robust resistance, if all you had to do was remove bad leaves. Thanks for all the information! Glad you had success with it, those peaches look...
    Wow, looks really healthy! Id say that was pretty robust resistance, if all you had to do was remove bad leaves. Thanks for all the information! Glad you had success with it, those peaches look delicious.
    Wow, looks really healthy! Id say that was pretty robust resistance, if all you had to do was remove bad leaves. Thanks for all the information! Glad you had success with it, those peaches look delicious.
    Wow, looks really healthy! Id say that was pretty robust resistance, if all you had to do was remove bad leaves. Thanks for all the information! Glad you had success with it, those peaches look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Nickoslesteros

Cherry blossom on awkward angle

Great advice. I've tief it against a concrete fence post until I can fabricate some sort of truss for it.And I think you are probably right now I think about it - it's growing to the light. Not...
    Great advice. I've tief it against a concrete fence post until I can fabricate some sort of truss for it.And I think you are probably right now I think about it - it's growing to the light. Not a lot I can do about that, sadly. Guess I'll have to make the most of it!Thank you!
    Great advice. I've tief it against a concrete fence post until I can fabricate some sort of truss for it.And I think you are probably right now I think about it - it's growing to the light. Not a lot I can do about that, sadly. Guess I'll have...
    Great advice. I've tief it against a concrete fence post until I can fabricate some sort of truss for it.And I think you are probably right now I think about it - it's growing to the light. Not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Rafael

My acers dying?

I tend to agree with perki - we've had so much rain and the pot isn't on pot feet to help drainage, so it could be the roots have been sitting in a cold bath for months and they've rotted.
    I tend to agree with perki - we've had so much rain and the pot isn't on pot feet to help drainage, so it could be the roots have been sitting in a cold bath for months and they've rotted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. akwe-xavante
    Like x 3

Autumn Colour Failure

Thank you infradig,A discussion was thrashed out when i sought advice on the GW forum in the autumn of 2023. Just wanted to share my journey with those that contributed then and those on this...
    Thank you infradig,A discussion was thrashed out when i sought advice on the GW forum in the autumn of 2023. Just wanted to share my journey with those that contributed then and those on this GC forum moving forward now.
    Thank you infradig,A discussion was thrashed out when i sought advice on the GW forum in the autumn of 2023. Just wanted to share my journey with those that contributed then and those on this GC forum moving forward now.
    Thank you infradig,A discussion was thrashed out when i sought advice on the GW forum in the autumn of 2023. Just wanted to share my journey with those that contributed then and those on this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. CostasK

Crab apple tree lost its leader

Thanks again. This is how the tree looks now.
    20240329_074719.jpg 20240329_074757.jpg 20240329_074707~2.jpg 20240329_074757~2.jpg 20240401_122446~2.jpg 20240401_122454~2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Mrs. B.

Prunus Kojo-No-Mai

I've already fast forwarded 5 years.. the birds love their mini woodland!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. MJ76

Acer and Crab apple tree

I just left my apple tree alone. I didn't think it a problem. It was just the head gardener who was concerned it would topple over.
    I just left my apple tree alone. I didn't think it a problem. It was just the head gardener who was concerned it would topple over.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. KT53

Potted acer waterlogged!

I've got fingers crossed that the Acer is going to survive. It is showing some signs of life but well behind the others.
    I've got fingers crossed that the Acer is going to survive. It is showing some signs of life but well behind the others.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fof

Salix "Kilmarnock"

Ah - the builders' waste It's always difficult isn't it? I've had to tackle a few gardens like that, and there's no real short cut. It depends on so many things as to how you approach it too....
    Ah - the builders' waste It's always difficult isn't it? I've had to tackle a few gardens like that, and there's no real short cut. It depends on so many things as to how you approach it too. Budgets can easily get out of hand :) I'm sure if you put a couple of photos on, others will offer ideas...
    Ah - the builders' waste It's always difficult isn't it? I've had to tackle a few gardens like that, and there's no real short cut. It depends on so many things as to how you approach it too. Budgets can easily get out of hand :) I'm sure if you...
    Ah - the builders' waste It's always difficult isn't it? I've had to tackle a few gardens like that, and there's no real short cut. It depends on so many things as to how you approach it too....
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Carrie Carroll

Yew trees in pots!

Oh no! But they were doing okay before they were stood on, yes? Though I suppose they weren't very big anyway so maybe easier to grow at that stage.
    Oh no! But they were doing okay before they were stood on, yes? Though I suppose they weren't very big anyway so maybe easier to grow at that stage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Madra

A tree was damaged by wind and I'm wondering if it's a lost cause

I would give the whole tree a good prune, prop it up using X and or Y props, like the old fashioned clothes line props, then bandage the wounded area firmly using wide waterproof tape, I have used...
    I would give the whole tree a good prune, prop it up using X and or Y props, like the old fashioned clothes line props, then bandage the wounded area firmly using wide waterproof tape, I have used electrical tape but gaffer tape would do, and leave alone for at least 4/5 years. Arbutus tend to...
    I would give the whole tree a good prune, prop it up using X and or Y props, like the old fashioned clothes line props, then bandage the wounded area firmly using wide waterproof tape, I have used electrical tape but gaffer tape would do, and...
    I would give the whole tree a good prune, prop it up using X and or Y props, like the old fashioned clothes line props, then bandage the wounded area firmly using wide waterproof tape, I have used...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Danny Hughes

Lemon Tree Problem

Do be a bit wary of standing a citrus tree in or on anything that impedes good drainage. The quickest way to kill off citrus is to leave the pot in standing water :) If it's possible to put the...
    Do be a bit wary of standing a citrus tree in or on anything that impedes good drainage. The quickest way to kill off citrus is to leave the pot in standing water :) If it's possible to put the tree outside somewhere sheltered, cooler temperatures and natural humidity will help to control pests too.
    Do be a bit wary of standing a citrus tree in or on anything that impedes good drainage. The quickest way to kill off citrus is to leave the pot in standing water :) If it's possible to put the tree outside somewhere sheltered, cooler temperatures...
    Do be a bit wary of standing a citrus tree in or on anything that impedes good drainage. The quickest way to kill off citrus is to leave the pot in standing water :) If it's possible to put the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Adam I
    Like x 5

Not the first time ive seen this!

There is an old stump, 10ft high, of cedar of Lebanon in my local cemetery that has a Lawsons cypress growing out of it.
    There is an old stump, 10ft high, of cedar of Lebanon in my local cemetery that has a Lawsons cypress growing out of it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. M4rtin

Advice on Pear tree please

Looks like Pear Root Galls to me
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Rachel Knowles

Burlap on rootballs

Welcome advice. Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Bear1

Pruning young apple tree

Hi,Lots of online guides for pruning young appples tree better than we could describe -eg -Apple and pears: pruning newly planted trees / RHS GardeningAlso check if you need to stake the...
    Hi,Lots of online guides for pruning young appples tree better than we could describe -eg -Apple and pears: pruning newly planted trees / RHS GardeningAlso check if you need to stake the tree as some young cordons we tried split their trunk in summer due to the weight of fruit during a...
    Hi,Lots of online guides for pruning young appples tree better than we could describe -eg -Apple and pears: pruning newly planted trees / RHS GardeningAlso check if you need to stake the tree as some young cordons we tried split their...
    Hi,Lots of online guides for pruning young appples tree better than we could describe -eg -Apple and pears: pruning newly planted trees / RHS GardeningAlso check if you need to stake the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Danny Hughes

Lemon Tree Questions

That is good news! It's much easier to tackle them before an infestation takes hold, which it can easily do in the warm :). Bonnes fêtes!
    That is good news! It's much easier to tackle them before an infestation takes hold, which it can easily do in the warm :). Bonnes fêtes!
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Fat Controller

On the scent...

Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That isn't a house plant. It's a tree". Maybe I was a bit brusque, because her hackles went up and was...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That isn't a house plant. It's a tree". Maybe I was a...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That...
    Choisya 'Sundance' (2).JPG 136.JPG Eucalyptus gunnii (Tasmanian Cider Gum)  01 - small.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Drahcir

Where have all the acorns gone, two weeks ago?

Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the other birds like Magpies; robins; tits and sparrows etc; Pigeons I treat as enemies because of the...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the other birds like Magpies; robins; tits and...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. TheMadHedger

Common Beech - where to buy some saplings?

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice